Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Yeah, it genuinely didn't occur to me that they could just heal him instead of Crucibling him and starting fresh. Way of X definitely is on to something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Had there been anything confirmed as to what Hickman is working on after inferno? All I’ve heard is that it’s a short mini series and Duggar is going to continue uncanny?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I don’t think anyone knows what Hickman is planning since we went from X of Swords to Gala to him being off the book in a span of like four issues.

My guess is that they will announce whatever his next title is around Inferno 3 hitting if not sooner depending on what the reveals for 1 and 2 are.

It is quite possible he decided to write the Moira book he has been teasing since HoX/PoX instead of farming it out.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

^burtle posted:

I picked up Planet Sized X and “i’m horny for this flex” is one of the worst lines I have read in a long long time.
Tragically, I think this gets a wee pass for being something completely in-character for Quentin to say along with being something I've tragically heard real people say out loud.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
If nothing else it reminds why I hate Quentin quire. He was only barely passable in wolverine and the X-men and only because Logan would constantly poo poo on him.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I like Quire when used properly but most of his throw away appearances lately have been just people writing tweets as his dialogue.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
quire's a shithead and no decent super hero team would have him. that means you, west coast avengers!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
When Quire is written well he's great, and when he's written poorly he's usually a funny take down of something the author hates. He's perfect.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I love Quentin Quire but when he's poorly written he's the worst character.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I really like the ending of "Riot at Xavier's" so I would have been ok with him staying dead forever, but he's not, he's a known quantity at this point and taken on his own merits the version of Quentin Quire essentially invented by Jason Aaron is a pretty funny character with potential for poignancy and neat set pieces. It's like Cyclops and Jean Grey-- I think if Claremont had had his way, with Jean staying dead and Scott retiring to a life of domestic stability it would have been a better story, a tighter, more satisfying story, but I also like plenty of Cyclops and Marvel Girl stories since then to the extent that I'm kind of ok living in the wake of an artist I admire having his vision compromised.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
geez, abigail. no wonder she was always so simpatico with beast.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

geez, abigail. no wonder she was always so simpatico with beast.

yeah, this is going to be interesting when it all blows up in her face

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cable wrapped up really well.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Wolverine saying he doesn’t care who the Arakii pirates kill as long as it’s not mutants seem pretty out of character for current day Logan. The whole story of today’s issue is weird honestly.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dawgstar posted:

Cable wrapped up really well.

:yeah: Can't believe someone made me care about teen Cable across a whole run. See you on the other side.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He was just a dumb boy. And I liked that.

That was really good. Hope people didn’t sleep on Cable because it’s Cable. It is Cable, but Cable is actually good. And Scott Summers is capable of being a good dad. It doesn’t have to make sense, but it works.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
I wish they'd add 4 panel bonus features at the end of every Xmen related book and its just moments from the Summers moon pod

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Open Marriage Night posted:

He was just a dumb boy. And I liked that.

I'm not crying, you're crying.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/emilywritesgood/status/1421160353967321093?s=20

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Comic books are so good.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
My X-Read group took a "break" after Eve of Destruction to jump back in time to read Inferno (2 of 5 of us had never read it).

Inferno is loving great, obviously, but it's also very clear how much of the Maddie stuff was retconned to loving Hell in it:

1. All of Scott's actions are attributed to Maddie and Sinister's influence. It's a lovely Get Out Of Jail card for a dude who did the worst poo poo in story because editorial wanted him to be in another book. It's not a great resolution but given the situation, outside of Scott staying an rear end in a top hat forever, "I was mind controlled to leave my wife and kid to gently caress my resurrected GF!" is the most comic book plot.
2. Obviously the revelation that Maddie was just a clone of Jean is pretty damaging to a character that Claremont had really built up into someone in her own right. I don't know who made that decision or at what point it was decided, but given Claremont's original intent (Maddie and Scott retire forever), it feels like a convenient way to write her off.
3. It's revealed that Ororo only beat Scott for leadership because Maddie made Scott fight worse or something. I had completely forgotten about this and maaaan that loving sucks.
4. Maddie herself has a very sudden and short redemption arc, just moments after trying to kill her baby and the rest of the world and it feels similarly tacked on, as if they didn't want her to be a complete villain given, again, the work put in on her.

Also: I was very excited to read those X-Man/Cable issues about her but they're not on Unlimited.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

danbanana posted:

Also: I was very excited to read those X-Man/Cable issues about her but they're not on Unlimited.

Uh, no, no you don't.

(unless you are like, "dang, that sort of weird incest is just what I'm into", then knock yourself out)

Instead, I recommend you check out X-Men The End where Chris Claremont writes Maddie as he intended before editorial got in the way and allows her to achieve pathos -- proper redemption.

That and also check out this long talk from Women Write About Comics on Maddie.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Saoshyant posted:

Uh, no, no you don't.

(unless you are like, "dang, that sort of weird incest is just what I'm into", then knock yourself out)

*prepares TED talk about the intricacies of inter-dimensional clone make out parties*

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Coincidentally, 168 is around where I'm at in the ol' Claremont run, I often put it on the shelf for a bit. Plus this is around where New Mutants starts in the run, and stuff like that. I look forward to taking in this wild part of the saga. I've heard Chris on a few podcasts talking about the Jean stuff, X-Factor, and things not going how he wanted etc.

I just know "Cyclops was right" as the ol' t-shirts used to say, in every context, I don't blame him for anything. I'll blame editors, I'll blame the fates, but Scott "Slim" Summers is the greatest man who ever lived.

Ditto when I see people always saying Xavier is a maniac or evil or something etc etc. I feel like comics would be boring if our heroes weren't doing questionable wacky poo poo. What do we want, a bunch of goodie two shoes doing sensible stuff? Plus in comics, where the runs have often had poor writing and worse editorial direction, it seems just cruel to throw these characters worst moments back in their face. And yes, I say this like toons are real, a la Roger Rabbit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I wouldn't call Xavier evil, but canonically he is a jerk.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Saoshyant posted:

Uh, no, no you don't.

Instead, I recommend you check out X-Men The End where Chris Claremont writes Maddie as he intended before editorial got in the way and allows her to achieve pathos -- proper redemption.

That and also check out this long talk from Women Write About Comics on Maddie.

Gonna counter this and say you should never read X-Men The End.

Also Cable's ending was wonderful. I'm gonna miss kid Cable.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Wasn't there a recent Louise Simonson interview where she states that she didn't see Maddie as an actual person or something to that effect?

I find it amusing that when I got back into comics, no one recommeded Inferno, it was just Phoenix Saga, DoFP and then nothing else, and now it seems like if not beloved, at least rich in terms of plot and discussion. I recently read the X-Terminators/New Mutants parts of Inferno and they are pretty great when dealing with Magik. I can see why people like that era so much.

On more recent terms, Cable was just great. Duggan made me care about Kid Cable, gave him a nice sendoff and actually showed the Summers/Grey family as much as a family as they could be and it worked great.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

radlum posted:

I find it amusing that when I got back into comics, no one recommeded Inferno, it was just Phoenix Saga, DoFP and then nothing else, and now it seems like if not beloved, at least rich in terms of plot and discussion. I recently read the X-Terminators/New Mutants parts of Inferno and they are pretty great when dealing with Magik. I can see why people like that era so much.

https://youtu.be/fc3XBfV_pkc

It definitely feels like there's been a reevaluation of it in the last few years.

Also, as someone who got into comics literally as that story was running, and who is of roughly the same age (and gender and race) as the people in charge of the books, I'm sure a lot of nostalgia is influencing that reevaluation.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

radlum posted:

Wasn't there a recent Louise Simonson interview where she states that she didn't see Maddie as an actual person or something to that effect?

I think it is hard to recommend because of how much build up leading to it. You have everything with Madelyne leading up (which is in both X men and X-Favtor), but also so much stuff involving Magik/New Mutants. Dark Phoenix and DOFP both just deal with things that happened in X-Men and there no other X books at the time. If anyone is reading all of X-Men, I think they will like it, but would not recommend as much as your other two examples. Plus have to read multiple books to get whole story, although that is normal for modern comic fans.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Fritzler posted:

I think it is hard to recommend because of how much build up leading to it. You have everything with Madelyne leading up (which is in both X men and X-Favtor), but also so much stuff involving Magik/New Mutants. Dark Phoenix and DOFP both just deal with things that happened in X-Men and there no other X books at the time. If anyone is reading all of X-Men, I think they will like it, but would not recommend as much as your other two examples. Plus have to read multiple books to get whole story, although that is normal for modern comic fans.

A lot of the other Claremont-era crossovers also benefit from all the buildup that doesn't tend to get included in TPBs, but yeah I think Inferno has a uniquely long on-ramp. The X-Factor issues of Inferno are #35-#40, and Madelyne's story has been unfolding all through that book and then in Uncanny before X-Factor starts. That's even more issues than the Long Phoenix Saga if you start from X-Men #100.

I think part of the modern re-evaluation of Inferno also comes from how common things like the various decisions that led to Madelyne becoming a villain are recognized now. On a meta-textual level, Inferno is pretty clearly a story about what happens when a character's very reason for being is retconned out of existence from the perspective of that character. Madelyne was created after Jean's death as a replacement, and after Jean comes back to life, the character has no reason to exist. And it's done so cruelly, too; the scenes like Madelyne's nightmare where all her features are taken away, leaving her a mannequin, or when she reveals that her earliest memory is her childhood friend getting hit by a car, that being Jean's origin story... Christ, it's no wonder she decided to destroy the world.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

It's also largely Magik's story and for many years Magik was either de-aged off to the sidelines, dead, or kind of drifting around the margins of the X-books. I think that the increasing profile of Inferno corresponds with the increasing profile of Magik and the increasing number of people who want to read The Big Magik Story.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I also find it strange that there hasn't been a (good) modern attempt at redeeming her story. She's completely sympathetic and is oozing with story potential. A Legacy-style long run on her seems so drat obvious.

Hellions has been pretty perfect to me but using her as a wink-nod joke about the limits of resurrection... It was a good story that used her history to say something about Krakoa, but it still did her dirty.

Though typing all that out, I wonder if she doesn't play a bigger role in New Inferno. The hype is towards Mystique but Maddie seems like she has as much to be pissed about regarding the island as mystique does.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

How Wonderful! posted:

It's also largely Magik's story and for many years Magik was either de-aged off to the sidelines, dead, or kind of drifting around the margins of the X-books. I think that the increasing profile of Inferno corresponds with the increasing profile of Magik and the increasing number of people who want to read The Big Magik Story.

It's the big Magik story for the New Mutants stuff and that doesn't touch anything else directly. I mean, she's (kind of) responsible for the demon portal that is loving everything up but her stuff is really isolated to that book. Even Peter's appearance in it is only addressed in a couple X-Men panels.

That stuff is great! Blevins' art is fantastic (AL WILLIAMSON INKS)! But I don't know how many people are calling it (or much from that NM era... Ugh Gossamyr) a must read.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

danbanana posted:

I also find it strange that there hasn't been a (good) modern attempt at redeeming her story. She's completely sympathetic and is oozing with story potential. A Legacy-style long run on her seems so drat obvious.

Hellions has been pretty perfect to me but using her as a wink-nod joke about the limits of resurrection... It was a good story that used her history to say something about Krakoa, but it still did her dirty.

Though typing all that out, I wonder if she doesn't play a bigger role in New Inferno. The hype is towards Mystique but Maddie seems like she has as much to be pissed about regarding the island as mystique does.

Havok might be allied with her due to them not wanting to bring back Maddie

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

bobkatt013 posted:

Havok might be allied with her due to them not wanting to bring back Maddie

*Havok inferno costume*

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on. On Inferno, even with stuff we don't hear about as much, you still always hear love for the Claremont run overall.

Rochallor posted:

The X-Factor issues of Inferno are #35-#40,

Good to know. #40 isn't in that Milestones Inferno book, and I'm skipping most of X-Factor except a few bits. I'll throw it on the ol' to-read list. I see Nanny and Orphan Maker are involved, so this is some good homework for reading Hellions. Also interesting that X-Factor #40 is pencilled by Rob Liefeld, his first issue at Marvel. And of course: Cable! He must have planned it all along...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Heavy Metal posted:

Good to know. #40 isn't in that Milestones Inferno book, and I'm skipping most of X-Factor except a few bits. I'll throw it on the ol' to-read list. I see Nanny and Orphan Maker are involved, so this is some good homework for reading Hellions. Also interesting that X-Factor #40 is pencilled by Rob Liefeld, his first issue at Marvel. And of course: Cable! He must have planned it all along...

#40 is an epilogue and not exactly necessary reading. FWIW, X-Factor #37 - #39 are in the Essential X-Men collection that covers Inferno because you pretty much have to read those for the uncanny issues to make sense.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

danbanana posted:

I really hope so. I'm fairly optimistic-- that first Hellions arc was extremely poignant and I thought said a lot that should have been said 30+ years ago. Plus, it doesn't seem to be a dropped thread. Alex spends the entire Hellfire Gala trying to hold people accountable for the no-res decision in his own kind of milquetoast way, and we seem to be building up to Sinister having his own alternate clone/resurrection farm post-Arcade arc. I don't think we've seen the last of Maddie in the Krakoan era

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

danbanana posted:

That stuff is great! Blevins' art is fantastic (AL WILLIAMSON INKS)! But I don't know how many people are calling it (or much from that NM era... Ugh Gossamyr) a must read.
This is Bird Brain erasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I have nothing against taking Jar Jar Binks to breakfast, but leaving the diner table like that is just filthy, inexcusable behavior.