Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

THE BEAST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

McSpanky posted:

THE BEAST

me irl

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just magnificent.

They couldn't even be bothered to find a source image where Michael Hall was even pretending to give a poo poo.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Poque posted:

This all sounds like Jim Butcher Dexter fanfiction

Yeah, but Doakes is still alive in the books, so they're better by default.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

McSpanky posted:

THE BEAST

this is a joke right

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Brock Samson posted:

this is a joke right

How soon we forget season 6

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Brock Samson posted:

this is a joke right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWjiZY8snh8

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

McSpanky posted:

THE BEAST
It's like the Ikea monkey post, only it actually happened.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Slamhound posted:

It's like the Ikea monkey post, only it actually happened.

Good god, the ikea monkey is my favourite post, and I can't find it anymore.

Does anyone have any links to the old threads?

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3556220&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Here's the last one, been trying to find the Ikea monkey photo but no luck so far. I might have it in a folder on my old comp if I can't find it on here.

E: Here ya go, on page 17 of the above thread.

JaddaCaddra fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 31, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

So help me god, I was about to get a Showtime subscription for a couple months to watch Billions and I'm just now realizing I'm gonna re-watch all of Dexter

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I think the wake of the catastrophic disaster that was the final season, people forget how bad the religion season was. That was the true period of it becoming poo poo. Season 5 wasn't that bad there I said it.

But the introduction of Dr. Whats Her Name and that whole arc just being a giant piece of poo poo when it could have been this great revelation was also cow dung.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I like season 5 quite a lot tbh. It was the most consistent of the non Phillips seasons.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

codo27 posted:

I think the wake of the catastrophic disaster that was the final season, people forget how bad the religion season was. That was the true period of it becoming poo poo. Season 5 wasn't that bad there I said it.

But the introduction of Dr. Whats Her Name and that whole arc just being a giant piece of poo poo when it could have been this great revelation was also cow dung.

No, no, season 5 WAS bad, and here's why....

- No follow-up of any meaningful sort from loving Trinity (!) killing Rita (!), aside from maybe Trinity's son sort of catching on, but who gives a gently caress, right? Certainly no one of consequence in this show. THIS SHOULD'VE BEEN THE BEGINNING OF THE END.
- Lumen as the girlfriend of the season. No fault to Julia Stiles that the writers suck. "LuMeN wEnT bAcK tO hEr HoMe pLaNeT"
- Jordan Chase and the Rape Force 5. Rape is awful, but in the context of the show, after Trinity, those antagonists were baby poo poo.
- Masuka describing autoerotic asphyxiation or something like it. Sure, it was funny, but it was also incredibly dumb.
- this was the first time it was readily apparent that literally nothing mattered. We were all tricked; by the previews, by the cliffhangers, by Quair, but no. None of it mattered in the least.
- that time Dexter somehow, off camera, dragged an entire dead body up a ladder to the top of a grain silo and dumped him in. I forget why he was in Nebraska, but it happened. This might've been in season 6, but at this point, IDGAF. Wasn't his Ghost Brother a part of that, too? So much bullshit.

After that, every season got progressively worse, especially in terms of plot armour for Dexter. It's laughable how easily he skated through everything. The only minor exception is when Deb found out, but that, again, should've happened, followed by Quinn and the rest of Miami PD, in S5.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

- that time Dexter somehow, off camera, dragged an entire dead body up a ladder to the top of a grain silo and dumped him in. I forget why he was in Nebraska, but it happened. This might've been in season 6, but at this point, IDGAF. Wasn't his Ghost Brother a part of that, too? So much bullshit.

It really bothered me how they worked that scene as if Shameless bike shop guy would just stand there and do nothing as he popped the pitchfork off the wall.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

No, no, season 5 WAS bad, and here's why....

- No follow-up of any meaningful sort from loving Trinity (!) killing Rita (!), aside from maybe Trinity's son sort of catching on, but who gives a gently caress, right? Certainly no one of consequence in this show. THIS SHOULD'VE BEEN THE BEGINNING OF THE END.
- Lumen as the girlfriend of the season. No fault to Julia Stiles that the writers suck. "LuMeN wEnT bAcK tO hEr HoMe pLaNeT"
- Jordan Chase and the Rape Force 5. Rape is awful, but in the context of the show, after Trinity, those antagonists were baby poo poo.
- Masuka describing autoerotic asphyxiation or something like it. Sure, it was funny, but it was also incredibly dumb.
- this was the first time it was readily apparent that literally nothing mattered. We were all tricked; by the previews, by the cliffhangers, by Quair, but no. None of it mattered in the least.

After that, every season got progressively worse, especially in terms of plot armour for Dexter. It's laughable how easily he skated through everything. The only minor exception is when Deb found out, but that, again, should've happened, followed by Quinn and the rest of Miami PD, in S5.

Deb not catching them at the end of S5 was definitely the worst part of that season for me. Her letting them go just felt so fuckin' cheap, idk. It would be different if they had been using that to establish her not turning him in when she finds out later, but iirc it's p much never mentioned again after S5, like most things in seasons of Dexter.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Lol I just remembered they decided in Season 8 that Matsuka should have some character resolution so it turns out the horn dog misgynist has a long lost daughter and learns that women are people through that.

That's the only way he could have possibly grown up, you see

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Lol I just remembered they decided in Season 8 that Matsuka should have some character resolution so it turns out the horn dog misgynist has a long lost daughter and learns that women are people through that.

And then the last we see of it is when she shows up to a crime scene stoned or some dumb poo poo like that.

I like to think that Hurricane Mother Chainsaw Death killed everyone but Angel.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Yea but alternatively

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Spinoff show starring Masuka and Tom from Parks & Rec. I'm sure theres probably another, probably minority cast character that could fill out the bill as well.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Don't mind me, just gonna take out this guy in an airport, hope there's no cameras!

It's a shame imagining how Dexter could have been Breaking Bad. Start off sympathizing with Dexter, then show how his code relaxes over the seasons until he is undeniably just a villain that the audience is wanting to get caught.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

esperterra posted:

Deb not catching them at the end of S5 was definitely the worst part of that season for me. Her letting them go just felt so fuckin' cheap, idk. It would be different if they had been using that to establish her not turning him in when she finds out later, but iirc it's p much never mentioned again after S5, like most things in seasons of Dexter.

Hoooooly gently caress, I COMPLETELY forgot about this garbage, and should be added to my list as the number 1 reason why season 5 is dumb and bad and stupid. In all caps. Jesus christ.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

George H.W. oval office posted:

Yea but alternatively

Dexter was at it's best when it was a straight up parody of CSI / NYPD Blue / Generic Cop Show #8

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Keep remembering they gave Masuka a horny intern for no reason.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ah, yes, the highly sexed world of police forensics.

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015
It's bonkers that Captain Matthews never figured out Dexter was a serial killer, given that he knows:
  • Dexter's mother was brutally murdered in front of him and his brother, which resulted in his brother becoming a serial killer
  • A respected cop, Doakes, accused Dexter of being a serial killer
  • Doakes was then mysteriously found dead in a cabin once rented by the man who murdered Dexter's mother
  • Dexter's best friend was accused of being a serial killer (assuming he knew about Laguerta's investigation into Miguel Prado)
  • Dexter's wife was murdered by a serial killer
  • Dexter dated infamous serial killer Yvonne Strahovski
  • Laguerta confided in Matthews that she thought Dexter was a serial killer, Matthews tells Dexter this, Laguerta is immediately murdered
  • I think Matthews also knew that Quinn was investigating Dexter for murder?

Dexter is connected to a ridiculous number of murders. Honestly the show makes a lot more sense if you conclude Matthews has known the entire time and lets Dexter get away with it because Miami PD is too incompetent to function

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Bolingbroke posted:

It's bonkers that Captain Matthews never figured out Dexter was a serial killer, given that he knows:
  • Dexter's mother was brutally murdered in front of him and his brother, which resulted in his brother becoming a serial killer
  • Doakes was then mysteriously found dead in a cabin once rented by the man who murdered Dexter's mother
  • Dexter's best friend was accused of being a serial killer (assuming he knew about Laguerta's investigation into Miguel Prado)
  • Laguerta confided in Matthews that she thought Dexter was a serial killer, Matthews tells Dexter this, Laguerta is immediately murdered

Dexter is connected to a ridiculous number of murders. Honestly the show makes a lot more sense if you conclude Matthews has known the entire time and lets Dexter get away with it because Miami PD is too incompetent to function

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Bolingbroke posted:

When the show was on I actually kinda wondered if this might be the case. In fact, when it was announced his actor was upped to main cast for the final season I felt sure something like this was coming, but then he ended up doing absolutely nothing of note. Pretty sure he did less that season than any other, except the one where he didn't appear at all... arguably.

I also felt sure The Brain Surgeon was going to turn out to be another killer of killers. Would have been neat to have Dexter run into that sort of character, then probably end up offing them because he doesn't want someone else muscling in on his preferred pool of victims. Might have been an interesting way to reinforce the idea he's not doing the killing for any sense of justice, but to satisfy a murderous urge and nothing else.

Unfortunately the show lost sight of that and pretty much painted Dexter as some kind of vigilante superhero. Like I said earlier, there were a couple of times he killed someone that didn't fit his code, on accident. The two I was referring to in particular are Miguel's brother, who he killed in self defense, and some dude who's coworker was the actual killer. We got an episode each where Dexter struggled with the idea of killing "an innocent man," but in both cases he later found out the guys were terrible people in other ways (I think the first sold drugs to kids and the second was a woman beater?) and as a result any potential emotional tension immediately dissipated and it was never brought up again.

Anyways, both could have lead to neat examples of Dexter broadening the definition of his "code," but in both cases them being bad in different ways was just a way for Dexter to move on from killing non murderers. It could have been some neat development, but in the end it reads as a cop out.

Also hey, remember when Dexter killed Hannah's dad and it was never mentioned again? Nah. Neither did the writers. That would have been another neat way to further things but nope, just plain forgot that one. Admittedly they portrayed him as an abusive rear end BEFORE Dexter killed him, but still another wasted opportunity that never got addressed again. That whole incident was nothing but a way to make a stand alone filler episode after Gay British Russian Mob Boss had to be killed off earlier than expected.

JaddaCaddra fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 1, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Let's not forget the fact that he killed Rita's ex, an rear end in a top hat for sure (so the audience doesn't give a gently caress) but not someone who had committed murder.

:bravo: showrunners.

Also, y'all remember Colin Hanks eating Cheerios?

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Let's not forget the fact that he killed Rita's ex, an rear end in a top hat for sure (so the audience doesn't give a gently caress) but not someone who had committed murder.

:bravo: showrunners.

Also, y'all remember Colin Hanks eating Cheerios?

I had completely forgotten about this. Didn't he knock him out and then make him OD on heroin? I seem to recall something like that.

Remember when Hanks found that Ice Truck Killer hand in that same scene? The one the Nerdy Intern had sent to Dexter, and was built up as him implying to be aware of Dexter's secret? Then yeah no turns out it he was just trying to gently caress with Dexter because he bad mouthed his game and it was a crazy coincidence.

The poo poo with the intern being built up and then turning into a nothing burger is definitely the SOA SPOILERS Lee Toric moment of this show.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bolingbroke posted:

Rewatching the show, the "Everyone in Miami PD knows about Dexter" idea is very tempting. In the first season, the detectives go to murder scenes and everyone stares at Dexter and goes "hey what does this mean, psycho?"

Doakes is the only one that gives it voice, but he's just uncouth about speaking the truth that everyone else seems to understand.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Bolingbroke posted:

Yeah but remember, in the world of the show, you can't swing a fuckin' cat in Miami without hitting a serial killer. Probably more than one. And not just Walter White style, like drug dealers and gang members who have killed 2 or 3 people in a rational, self-beneficial context... but incredibly cartoonish serial killers. Every single week they come across at least one or two new killers who've all killed, like, DOZENS of people with obscenely over the top gimmicks.

Like, it's really not that much of a stretch to imagine that any given member of Miami PD probably knows at least 20 or 30 active serial killers just within their close circle of friends and family.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Rewatching the show, the "Everyone in Miami PD knows about Dexter" idea is very tempting. In the first season, the detectives go to murder scenes and everyone stares at Dexter and goes "hey what does this mean, psycho?"

Doakes is the only one that gives it voice, but he's just uncouth about speaking the truth that everyone else seems to understand.

Instead of filming new episodes they should just re-release the original ones except with Dexters voiceover monologues replaced by the other characters stating how obvious his "secret" is.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Real world cops are loving stupid, Dexter is just being true to life.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Senor Tron posted:

Instead of filming new episodes they should just re-release the original ones except with Dexters voiceover monologues replaced by the other characters stating how obvious his "secret" is.

OK, I think you actually have a good idea here. From Dexter's PoV, he's this ultra slick mystery man who can do no wrong, he's got everyone fooled, ha ha ha! Meanwhile everyone else is watching him like he's Bela Lugosi in Plan 9 From Outer Space and he's just making an utter loving fool out of himself. My god, how many times did Dexter have images up on his PC, IN HIS OFFICE, of some sap he's about to murder, and he's just SALIVATING over it, only for him to minimize the windows "just in time" when Angel or Laguerta walk up. And they obviously see what he was looking at. And then that guy mysteriously dies that night.

Cancel Dexter2 and give us Angel: The Series.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

XboxPants posted:

OK, I think you actually have a good idea here. From Dexter's PoV, he's this ultra slick mystery man who can do no wrong, he's got everyone fooled, ha ha ha! Meanwhile everyone else is watching him like he's Bela Lugosi in Plan 9 From Outer Space and he's just making an utter loving fool out of himself.

It's somewhat textual. Even though he says he's good at wearing a mask and has mastered blending in, he's a huge loving weirdo in the first season. He doesn't react normally to absolutely anything. The other characters are constantly giving him double takes and side-eyes.

I seem to remember this going away as the show went on and he's eventually just the coolest motherfucker around.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

Comedy goldmine? I'm willing to contribute

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

deb gets promoted to lieutenant despite the fact that everyone knows she had dated and allowed herself to be kidnapped by the suspect she had been searching for, the notorious ice truck killer. her competition for the job was angel, a man who had a credible rape allegation against him by a woman who ends up murdered under mysterious circumstances. both of them had worked closely in the same unit with the bay harbor butcher (doakes, afa anyone knows) for many years without suspecting anything.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I have absolutely no recollection of any allegations against Angel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

In the most realistic angle in the whole show, Angel was collateral as pale english ale used him in a twisted plot to gain leverage over Dexter when he was trying to distance from her