Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PIZZA.BAT)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Timely discussion as I saw this ad today and had a laff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcUvd8l6hww

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/timelinecats/status/1421120279493988358

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jonny 290 posted:

video chat has always been and will always be terrible

it can certainly be bad. but it's been great to keep in touch with friends during pandemic. and my mil got to stay in touch with her grandbaby, which she really loved. i'm sure lots of families appreciate that.

the worst part about video chat for me is when it's forced

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

mediaphage posted:

it can certainly be bad. but it's been great to keep in touch with friends during pandemic. and my mil got to stay in touch with her grandbaby, which she really loved. i'm sure lots of families appreciate that.

the worst part about video chat for me is when it's forced

Group video chats are the worst for me, its never like a real conversation. The one on one chats are mostly fine but I like the apps that don't show what you look like, since then I'm always making sure I look ok

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

we've done several couple-on-couple chats that have been awesome. a few family chats, plus a couple of group chats where we also play games like sketchup which have been hilarious

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i dont like video chat b/c it brings all the stress of inviting somebody over with none of the satisfaction of being able to have a dinner or play some board games

i get that some people are more inclined to like it though

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

video chat has always been and will always be terrible

it’s nice to use it for letting our kids say hi to mimi and granddad over in england, but i have no use for it otherwise.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

where it really falls flat for me is the mandated use by work

gross

i've worked remotely for years and my boss would always like to facetime me and i loving hated it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mediaphage posted:

i've worked remotely for years and my boss would always like to facetime me and i loving hated it

:chloe:

I'm so glad we don't have video chat meetings for work. I video chat my family every once a while and that is about the extent. My ex was super into video chat as well and would video chat almost everyone.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the scourge of zoom has made it far too easy to have a meeting. it has removed too many barriers.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

President Beep posted:

i used to think about how cool it’d be to have technology like that someday. boy was I mistaken.

I think it's extremely ironic that as soon as we have technology to be able to have videos and phone calls with anyone at any time, it's become standard to text first and that everything should be done through text.

Like, I understand it both with regards to the need for privacy, and with how older generations would wait until they knew someone was relaxing or would be available, to ring them, but it's still loving hilarious to me that the hyper-""extravert"" work cultures that adored and exaulted the idea of face to face meeting are dying out just as we have the technology to actually do that

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

https://twitter.com/NoContextHumans/status/1421470935434006533?s=19

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

nutted but she still truckin

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:haw:

President Beep posted:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
if you wouldn't buy that for 2k you're crazy

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
maybe even a little nuts

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
can we start
a
go fund me to raise 2k for smoka to buy that. i’ll
putin 50 each month until it’s done

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

President Beep posted:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I'm wondering if the reason video group chat sucks and you see people talking over each other all the time is because people who are usually less loud, who don't take as much physical space, and just self-exclude no longer have that signal and discomfort, and the loud talkers just aren't used to being cut off all the time while noticing it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Wild EEPROM posted:

the scourge of zoom has made it far too easy to have a meeting. it has removed too many barriers.

We use webex at work, and it breaks so often which is nice because it's also a convenient excuse when you don't want to go meetings that won't be questioned. :getin:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Vaporwave? At this hour?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

this is when computers peaked

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i hope ben wins because musk is Worse

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

AnimeIsTrash posted:

We use webex at work, and it breaks so often which is nice because it's also a convenient excuse when you don't want to go meetings that won't be questioned. :getin:

same

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fart simpson posted:

i hope ben wins because musk is Worse

tough call

musk sucks because he’s a billionaire more than anything else

ben shapiro foments actual frothing hatred though and is occasionally the most shared “news” source on facebook which is frankly sickening

i don’t like musk at all but i could handle being around him i’m sure. i couldn’t handle being around shapiro.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mediaphage posted:

tough call

musk sucks because he’s a billionaire more than anything else

ben shapiro foments actual frothing hatred though and is occasionally the most shared “news” source on facebook which is frankly sickening

i don’t like musk at all but i could handle being around him i’m sure. i couldn’t handle being around shapiro.

bilionaires are the enemy more than ben shapiro imo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fart simpson posted:

bilionaires are the enemy more than ben shapiro imo

right i guess i’m saying i don’t want either of them to win and would rather they simultaneously lose from a freak fake sword incident during some sort of interaction

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm also a fan of this

(it's 12.8 million years at $7.50/hr 40hr/wk, fwiw)

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 1, 2021

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

i'm also a fan of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg61NTpiy3Y

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

i'm also a fan of this

Pfft look at Lord Richmond Money Bags over here that gets full-time.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

absolute loving legend

Sagebrush posted:

this photo always gets me because it's obvious that elon isn't standing where he's supposed to. here is my 30 second photoshop of what the photographer probably intended, because 30 seconds is already 30 times as long as i can tolerate looking at this guy's bloated face

better framing, better balance, can't see the backdrop hangers at the top of the room, etc. but clearly ol' musky decided that he had to be taller than everyone else in the room and stand on a countertop. he told everyone it was wacky and that the reader would love it cause he's a funny guy. you can hear him saying it, can't you?

you know what? i'm glad lonny did it. i'm glad he made the photo look worse. those rich fuckers deserve to have their image degraded. gently caress them all

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
whos that in the gold suit

the main person from the tv show girls?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

bargain

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Hoping it's diesel

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah

alexandriao posted:

I think it's extremely ironic that as soon as we have technology to be able to have videos and phone calls with anyone at any time, it's become standard to text first and that everything should be done through text.

I've really come to like the record-a-message feature that I guess is in all modern messengers by now. It's like texting, except with voice. It's asynchronous, so

• you can make a longer point (it's insane how much you can actually say in like, 3 minutes of audio) because you can't be interrupted
  • you can think about what exactly you want to say instead of having to come up with something sensible on the spot
  • it's persisted in a manner that people might actually hear it back (even if a regular meeting has been recorded, nobody goes back and listens to it)

but it's also audio, i.e.

• you can add sublety and tone that is hard to put into text (particularly if you're unsure about what you're saying, talking is much more forgiving than text)
  • it's way faster to produce! This post which would have taken like 2 minutes of audio took me probably 10 minutes to type out on the phone (flipside is that text is way faster to consume)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Ocean of Milk posted:

I've really come to like the record-a-message feature that I guess is in all modern messengers by now. It's like texting, except with voice. It's asynchronous, so

• you can make a longer point (it's insane how much you can actually say in like, 3 minutes of audio) because you can't be interrupted
  • you can think about what exactly you want to say instead of having to come up with something sensible on the spot
  • it's persisted in a manner that people might actually hear it back (even if a regular meeting has been recorded, nobody goes back and listens to it)

but it's also audio, i.e.

• you can add sublety and tone that is hard to put into text (particularly if you're unsure about what you're saying, talking is much more forgiving than text)
  • it's way faster to produce! This post which would have taken like 2 minutes of audio took me probably 10 minutes to type out on the phone (flipside is that text is way faster to consume)

didn’t read, lol