Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I will be driving through the DC beltway area tonight for the first time in a long time. Pulling a '53. Friday night rush hour. :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

SpelledBackwards posted:

It's eminent domain, not imminent.

Please tell my autocorrect :smith:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
You have my sympathy. The first time I went to Chicago, I was pulling a 53’ dry van, it was Friday evening, winter, dark and snowing. I also got an education about tollways that night!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CannonFodder posted:

I will be driving through the DC beltway area tonight for the first time in a long time. Pulling a '53. Friday night rush hour. :shepicide:

:rip:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

CannonFodder posted:

Christ. I still vividly remember driving north from Virginia back to Philly, 10 years ago, looking at google maps giving me the option of getting home via 1) a long detour around DC and 2) the entire beltway from the southwest corner to the northeast, hitting it at about 4pm.

I chose poorly.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

For now it tends to dissipate earlier than it used to, get through before 4 or after 7 and it's a better ride. Otherwise if you're not on a clock it might be a good idea to take a long dinner break just outside the area.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

CannonFodder posted:

You misspelled "parking."

Midjack posted:

For now it tends to dissipate earlier than it used to, get through before 4 or after 7 and it's a better ride. Otherwise if you're not on a clock it might be a good idea to take a long dinner break just outside the area.

I did this once on a trip back from DC. Grabbed some food, let the lovely traffic clear out, then blasted 110+ through Pennsylvania when I saw a group of 6 or 7 cars doing the same in a chain. Made it home at my original time, somehow without dying.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Midjack posted:

if the guys dragging a 53' he's on a schedule

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I rewatched the John Oliver episode on retirement plans the other day and the clips he played of the Suze Orman show made me think of this thread.

Wanting that isn't super bad with money, but it's a bit odd how much she keeps in cash.

Classic.

I like how she doesn't even bother putting up her assets and debt for this one.

Looking on the internet for other examples, this one stood out to me:

That 11-year-old is loaded. The 529 isn't really relevant, though, since an Xbox isn't an educational expense.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I've never heard of Suze Orman, it's BWM TV I love it

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

William Bear posted:

That 11-year-old is loaded. The 529 isn't really relevant, though, since an Xbox isn't an educational expense.

I mean, the 529 is kind of relevant in the sense that you can pull the money out whenever, you just pay taxes + penalty on the gains (which always happens, you can't do a contribution-only withdrawal like a Roth). But irrelevant because as the beneficiary, and not the account owner, the kid has absolutely no input on how the money gets used.

IMO kind of good parenting in that they're making the kid evaluate the purchase decision from a financial angle. But drat even adjusting for inflation I don't think I had even half that cash available until some time in high school after I had a job...

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

paternity suitor posted:

Suze Orman is like the Dave Ramsey for wine moms.

She gives very good extremely general and basic advice for people who are completely unable to handle their finances at all, but anything above that starts to get terrible.

She is big on the idea that "regular people" don't have time to learn about money, so they should hire someone to manage their retirement. Index funds are bad because they aren't "agile" like actively managed funds. In 2006, there was literally no price that was too high to pay for a house because housing is a great way to build wealth and home values only go up.

Her guests and callers (like Dave Ramsey's) are often great BWM material, though.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

William Bear posted:

Eh it kind of is if you’re taking the general premise of listing all your assets seriously for the kid. Same logic as listing your retirement and 401k when you want to buy a Mercedes or whatever. The question isn’t just can you literally afford the expenditure (as in cash in hand) but can you afford the opportunity cost of not investing that money. So someone who’s 35 with 250k saved for retirement is in a different boat than a 55 year old with 3k saved with the car question, even if they both have the full price in cash on hand.

Same with the kid. If you’re a precocious 11 year old trying to do big boy financial planning then how much you have saved for college is part of that calculus. If your 529 is well funded you’re in a better position than if it’s not, and you don’t have a flush college account the Econ geek answer is probably going to put that Xbox money into college savings.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 30, 2021

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

William Bear posted:

how much does he have tied up in chores

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 30, 2021

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Eh it kind of is if you’re taking the general premise of listing all your assets seriously for the kid. Same logic as listing your retirement and 401k when you want to buy a Mercedes or whatever. The question isn’t just can you literally afford the expenditure (as in cash in hand) but can you afford the opportunity cost of not investing that money. So someone who’s 35 with 250k saved for retirement is in a different boat than a 55 year old with 3k saved with the car question, even if they both have the full price in cash on hand.

Same with the kid. If you’re a precocious 11 year old trying to do big boy financial planning then how much you have saved for college is part of that calculus. If your 529 is well funded you’re in a better position than if it’s not, and you don’t have a flush college account the Econ geek answer is probably going to put that Xbox money into college savings.

Way better answer than mine.

I can't help but think, though, why does this kid have so much liquid cash but only $9,300 in the 529? Not entirely sure I'd make the decision to give my kids more money for chores in lieu of saving for college. Ideally of course you'd do both, but the kid has 7 years until that money is needed, and at this rate it's probably not going to even cover 1 year before needing to take out loans.

Better than nothing I suppose, and there's a lot to be said for teaching your kids how to handle money... tough call. Basically saddling the kid with more college debt, but also giving them the skills to handle it. Not sure if the alternative is better or worse.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Cyrano4747 posted:

A fair point.

Looking more into Suze Orman, she does seem like she has a largely female audience and gives mostly practical advice. There's a great compilation here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP9-M1bHn78

My favorite part was someone asking if they should spend $514,000 for a horse farm. Or this:

Sounds like she needs to trim the fat. :rimshot:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DaveSauce posted:

Way better answer than mine.

I can't help but think, though, why does this kid have so much liquid cash but only $9,300 in the 529? Not entirely sure I'd make the decision to give my kids more money for chores in lieu of saving for college. Ideally of course you'd do both, but the kid has 7 years until that money is needed, and at this rate it's probably not going to even cover 1 year before needing to take out loans.

Better than nothing I suppose, and there's a lot to be said for teaching your kids how to handle money... tough call. Basically saddling the kid with more college debt, but also giving them the skills to handle it. Not sure if the alternative is better or worse.

I probably would have had a similar amount liquid at that age because I was allowed to keep money that I was given for birthdays, Christmas, New Year, etc. in my own savings account. Had to get approval to take it out but I would have counted it in a similar way.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

paternity suitor posted:

I learned a lot from her show about budgeting, and also about humility. The best was when she would follow up on someone who needed the financial makeover and the person had gotten out of the hole of debt. :unsmith:

I was also humbled to know I will never wear jackets as fly as hers.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

William Bear posted:

I like how she doesn't even bother putting up her assets and debt for this one.

"what haunts you," indeed

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Everytime I see Suze Orman I just have to think: where does she get those jackets!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i could imagine her bein like, turbokaren

i could also imagine her not, cuz wasnt she poor for a time
schrodingers karen. linear superposition of karen and not

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hot off of Facebook's "Paid Prayer Button" and "Subscription fees to follow your Church" programs, Twitter is not letting them monopolize the monetization of pointless things.

quote:

Twitter announced earlier this year it was working on a Super Follows feature that would allow some users to charge followers and give them access to extra content. On Sunday, app researcher Jane Manchun Wong tweeted screenshots of what she says it will look like.

It's exactly like Twitter now! Except you need a subscription to view it! And you need a separate subscription for each Twitter user you want to Super Follow!

But, it's not just a subscription to access content!

You can also... pay $5 a month to have your favorite tweeters show up more often on your home page, so you don't have to go through all the work of clicking on their name!

quote:

An example where a Super Follows user charged $4.99 per month for users to get access to “perks.”

quote:

Perks include features like weighting posts from your Super Follow to show more frequently on your timeline and enabling a colored background for their tweets.

They are also introducing a second different subscription system that gives you access to features that every web browser has had for free for 15 years.

quote:

Twitter has officially announced Twitter Blue, a paid subscription service that offers access to new features like undoing tweets and viewing threads in an easier to digest “Reader Mode.”

You can also pay $5 a month to be able to... delete tweets with one click instead of two.

And you can pay for a new, incredibly cutting edge, feature they are calling a "bookmark" for only $5 per month.

quote:

A Bookmark Folders feature lets you group saved tweets to make them easier to find later.

There is also another separate subscription of $5 per month you can pay to eliminate ads.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Finally jack Dorsey is going to make some money

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Guy can't figure out where his other $3,400 per month is going.

His only recurring expenses outside of bills are food, "random stuff," and Mortal Kombat X Mobile Game microtransactions.

quote:

My spending habits are out of control

I make about $4800 per month (post-taxes). My rent and utilities comes up to $1400. But I'm always broke. I think I spend too much on random stuff and I overspend on groceries too. How do you guys save or learn to save?

Edit: Thanks for all the comments. Really helpful tips in here.

quote:

I stopped spending money on this game a while ago because I made an observation.

I could spend a fortune to get a character, but NRS is always gonna introduce a new cooler/better character.

A while back I bought spec ops Scorpion, then once I bought and maxed him, NRS introduced KLK, then I maxed him too, then NRS introduced MK11 Scorpion and I was about to spend on him, and recently NRS Introduced FIRE GOD Liu Kang.

Also, checking in with his local community to find companionship.

quote:

Where are y’all finding prostitutes?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

JnnyThndrs posted:

You have my sympathy. The first time I went to Chicago, I was pulling a 53’ dry van, it was Friday evening, winter, dark and snowing. I also got an education about tollways that night!
So the traffic was either going 1mph or 80+mph? :v:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Hot off of Facebook's "Paid Prayer Button" and "Subscription fees to follow your Church" programs, Twitter is not letting them monopolize the monetization of pointless things.

It's exactly like Twitter now! Except you need a subscription to view it! And you need a separate subscription for each Twitter user you want to Super Follow!

But, it's not just a subscription to access content!

You can also... pay $5 a month to have your favorite tweeters show up more often on your home page, so you don't have to go through all the work of clicking on their name!

They are also introducing a second different subscription system that gives you access to features that every web browser has had for free for 15 years.

You can also pay $5 a month to be able to... delete tweets with one click instead of two.

And you can pay for a new, incredibly cutting edge, feature they are calling a "bookmark" for only $5 per month.

There is also another separate subscription of $5 per month you can pay to eliminate ads.
It's always hilarious watching social media companies try to monetize a thing that's fundamentally at odds with charging people $X/mo to use it. (I say, posting on the forum you pay :10bux: to post on)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

William Bear posted:

I rewatched the John Oliver episode on retirement plans the other day and the clips he played of the Suze Orman show made me think of this thread.

Wanting that isn't super bad with money, but it's a bit odd how much she keeps in cash.

How much is too much to keep in cash, and what's the right thing to do with it? Is the answer just "put it in a total market index fund"?

("I'm worried I have too much money on hand," he said, humbly and like a cool guy.)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Pham Nuwen posted:

How much is too much to keep in cash, and what's the right thing to do with it? Is the answer just "put it in a total market index fund"?

("I'm worried I have too much money on hand," he said, humbly and like a cool guy.)

Everybody's risk tolerance is different, most people would say six months to a year of living expenses, unless you're saving up for something near-term.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Thanatosian posted:

Everybody's risk tolerance is different, most people would say six months to a year of living expenses, unless you're saving up for something near-term.
Yup. Cash savings are for things where you really, really don't want to have a situation where you need that money right now and oops the market crashed so you have half as much on hand as you thought. In other words, emergency savings and savings for near-term specific things.

Where the rest of it should go depends on your financial picture - maybe it's time to put more in retirement savings, maybe you can pay down student loans, maybe you should just put it in an index fund.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

Yup. Cash savings are for things where you really, really don't want to have a situation where you need that money right now and oops the market crashed so you have half as much on hand as you thought. In other words, emergency savings and savings for near-term specific things.

Where the rest of it should go depends on your financial picture - maybe it's time to put more in retirement savings, maybe you can pay down student loans, maybe you should just put it in an index fund.

There's a good graphic somewhere that's pretty accurate for most people, but the first couple of steps boil down to: maximize your 401k/403b matching -> pay off high interest debt (credit card, private student loan, automobile) -> maximize your IRA. If you're making too much to qualify for an IRA, you should probably make your own thread.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Thanatosian posted:

If you're making too much to qualify for an IRA, you should probably do a backdoor Roth because it's seriously the easiest thing ever and literally everyone qualifies for a Roth IRA this way!

f i x e d

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
BWM: messing up your state taxes a little and having to pay $113 to the state of PA because they sent me a letter about it.

The worst part was their loving payment website. I had to make an account and request a verification letter that they actually sent to me in the mail.

Two weeks later I get the letter and could finish my registration and pay the amount. I went to pay with a credit card because why not. They state that they charge a 2.5% fee and that I have to calculate the loving fee myself??? And adjust my total???

This looks like a brand new-rear end website too. You couldn’t just put in a fee calc into the form? I ended up just doing ACH.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Ahah that's actually hilarious.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I ended up just doing ACH.

Mission accomplished for that web designer. More places should charge fees for passing with credit cards like that, instead of just offloading the costs into the poor.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Thanatosian posted:

Mission accomplished for that web designer. More places should charge fees for passing with credit cards like that, instead of just offloading the costs into the poor.

I normally don’t give a poo poo about card transaction fees, but I draw the line at having to do a little bit of math.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Thanatosian posted:

The most cursed sites charge you a "convenience fee" even for ACH. See also: Why I still pay my rent with checks instead of doing it through the resident portal. ACH is a lower fee than the card fee, but it's still a fee I don't have to pay with paper checks, so gently caress that.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Thanatosian posted:

Mission accomplished for that web designer.

State bid requirements did not require automatic calculation of CC fees. Scope of work sent by vendor did not include automatic calculation of CC fees. System working as intended.

Around 2 years ago our state DMV overhauled their license tab payment system. Used to be easy, then then changed it to some faux-chat thing where you "text" the virtual operator what you need to do. Precisely none of the questions or data entry changed, it's literally just a stupid UI.

The result is now we have to pay an extra $3 every year to renew online.

I mean, it's not the end of the world, but drat guys way to make things worse and pay extra.

edit:

Haifisch posted:

The most cursed sites charge you a "convenience fee" even for ACH. See also: Why I still pay my rent with checks instead of doing it through the resident portal. ACH is a lower fee than the card fee, but it's still a fee I don't have to pay with paper checks, so gently caress that.

Literally why I pay my HOA dues by check. They charge a $20 convenience fee to pay online (CC only IIRC), so those idiots get a check mailed to them.

Still boggles my mind how they can justify that. Sure, CCs charge fees, but I'm certain it costs them WAY more than $20 to manually process a paper check. In any case, for $20 I can pay for a few decades of envelopes/stamps/checks, so gently caress 'em.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 31, 2021

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Residency Evil posted:

Christ. I still vividly remember driving north from Virginia back to Philly, 10 years ago, looking at google maps giving me the option of getting home via 1) a long detour around DC and 2) the entire beltway from the southwest corner to the northeast, hitting it at about 4pm.

I chose poorly.
You did choose poorly, US 17 is a nice drive. And in a car you can take the US 15 over the Potomac on camelback bridge built in 1936.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

BWM: messing up your state taxes a little and having to pay $113 to the state of PA because they sent me a letter about it.

The worst part was their loving payment website. I had to make an account and request a verification letter that they actually sent to me in the mail.

Two weeks later I get the letter and could finish my registration and pay the amount. I went to pay with a credit card because why not. They state that they charge a 2.5% fee and that I have to calculate the loving fee myself??? And adjust my total???

This looks like a brand new-rear end website too. You couldn’t just put in a fee calc into the form? I ended up just doing ACH.

Absolutely was expecting you to see an extra 2.5% on top of the 2.5% you added hah

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/ovgj5e/aita_for_wanting_to_walk_into_my_first_home/

quote:

AITA for wanting to walk into my first home without my wife?

My wife [25F] and I [27M] have been married six months now. I have a good job in sales, and have managed to save enough to get together a deposit for a house. It is true that my parents have helped me out quite a bit too financially.

My wife has not been employed very consistently. She has worked as a model, but hasn’t saved much at all.

I bought the house, and the estate agent handed over the keys to me. My wife wasn’t there at the hand-over. I was obviously super excited to show her the house, and for us to start our lives together.

We drove up to the house yesterday. I said to her while we sat in the car outside: ‘is it OK if I go in alone first, just so I can have a moment alone in my first home?’ I felt that it was a Significant Moment in my life, and I wanted to experience it alone, even just for 30 seconds.

My wife was upset about this and has been off with me ever since. We have moved some of our stuff in but she’s clearly pissed. I think she’s being selfish. My brother says I am being ridiculous.

Edit: Thanks for the comments guys. I wasn’t expecting that much of a response. I do see that all the replies are leaning towards me being the rear end in a top hat. I have decided to apologise to my wife properly. I think I was quite caught up in the emotional intensity of the milestone. Thanks.

divorce is BWM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/SJSharksNewsIG/status/1421558721113698307?s=20