Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have Last Stop set for my day off on Monday since I liked the look of it from the not-E3 thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

going back to Shadow of the Tomb Raider the map in that game is rear end too. you can be in a tomb/crypt and trying to use the marker on the map to orient yourself because its just marked as in dense forest area and not even facing the right direction.

I even confirmed by running through a labrynth part of the area and it still had me in the exact same spot facing the same direction on the map.

super annoying when trying to find artefacts.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think the only thing I have a problem with RE the Ascent so far is how loving long and tedious all the missions seem to be at first glance. I mean, I didn't even complete the tutorial poo poo last night because I ended up getting sleepy, and when I logged back in it just auto-fed me into the start of the game proper and cut off whatever I hadn't done. Whoever was in charge of level design needs to comprehend less is more for how long you should be hoofing it from place to place.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Apparently for The Ascent there are patches planned for mid-August and early-September based on player feedback. So I'm just gonna wait and see :shrug:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I have now gotten the lockon augment and yep this thing breaks the drat game in a hilarious way.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Too late I finished it already, the very final twist kind of sucked the air out of my sails for the setting but thats a personal thing.

If you're going for all chests and collectibles be aware cyberdecks are sequentially improving but later spots aren't better than earlier ones, all that matters is picking it up its always an upgrade. I.e. the very first cyberdeck upgrade you see if skipped out on for the whole game becomes the final one.

There also doesn't seem to be anywhere near enough weapon upgrade points to upgrade all your guns and no way to reset so be extremely judicious when choosing what to upgrade. Personal recommendation is one energy gun of some kind to help with the robots and then your preferred weapon. Saving upgrades for the autoshotgun is unecessary since there are 0 upgrade stations between it and the end of the game and the thing is a goddamn monster with the lock on anyway

Barudak fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 1, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Get the biggest fuckoffest machine gun you can get and put all points into that, job done.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

njsykora posted:

Get the biggest fuckoffest machine gun you can get and put all points into that, job done.

Dominator maxed out carried me all the way to getting the final auto shotgun machine gun, yes.

Except spider bots, absolutely gently caress those things.

If I can recommend level up point allocation. 1) Critical hits 2) HP 3) Tactical energy charge for damage 4) Dodge refresh improvement. Everything else seems like edge case at best or trap option.

There is a mid game module that changes how your dodge works and just seems to make it flat better and I can't recommend it enough.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I maxed out HP and am now maxing crit, energy is a complete waste of points with how fast it recharges, how low the critical energy costs are and how common energy drops are.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

njsykora posted:

I maxed out HP and am now maxing crit, energy is a complete waste of points with how fast it recharges, how low the critical energy costs are and how common energy drops are.

I used the regeneration tactical so thats skewing its value for me.

The regeneration tactical weapon requires a tooooooon of energy to power up. The trade off is not only it a full heal, it heals you so much and so fast you can stand in it while getting shot by multiple enemies and still be healing.

There were some late game defense objectives where I plopped that down in the open and just face tanked all incoming damage

Edit: Armor is not like guns, new armor is flat upgrades versus old armor. Scrolling up your list of armor to the top is always better than gear at a lower tier.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 1, 2021

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Holy poo poo, flight Sim supports my ps4 thrustmaster on my series x!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

American McGay posted:

Super weird thing to be obsessed with what other people think about games, lmao.

I mean metacritic exists for a reason no

There are loads of games these days and not everyone has the time to read impressions on forums. I definitely know people who will check out a very well-reviewed game if they otherwise never would have

Gamepass is actually the first time I have ever seen people just picking up anything without looking at reviews or impressions first, and I wonder if we get to a Netflix state where they realize "Actually 25 ok games are better for this service than 10 great ones" because Netflix pumps out loads of mediocre stuff knowing you're gonna watch it anyway

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In a world without Gamepass would this many people be discussing The Ascent in this thread

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
No lol

It also benefits from actually releasing in pandemic world

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

*thinking really hard for 20 minutes* The rear end Scent. :smugdog:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I queued The Ascent to download via my phone, turned my PC on to download it, and now the Xbox PC app silently crashes immediately whenever I try to select any given game. Has anyone ever run into this?

Edit: resetting the app via add/remove programs fixed it. For fucks sake, do not try to queue downloads via another device.

enojy fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 1, 2021

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Works on my machine.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Gamepass is actually the first time I have ever seen people just picking up anything without looking at reviews or impressions first

I think this is actually kind of a good thing. We get so bogged down in what “good” is to others but we forget “did you enjoy it, personally?” as criteria. One of my favorite games of all time is Zoom on the sega genesis. It’s simplistic, dopey, and doesn’t really hold up to today’s expectations of what a game is.
That’s what I love about game pass. You can just try some dumb game and see if you like it.
On the other hand we should have a meta critic clone for goon reviews of games.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gamepass will be perfect when you can just xcloud stream games on Xbox before fully downloading them

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Phil has mentioned they want to implement just that as a sort of "preview mode" for games, but I'm not sure how high on their priorities list that is.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

How seamless could they hand off streaming to local? If they could do it instantly it would be cool i guess but i think id rather just wait for the download so my first impression of a game was as good as possible with no artifacting, connection issues, or input delay but thats just me

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

How seamless could they hand off streaming to local? If they could do it instantly it would be cool i guess but i think id rather just wait for the download so my first impression of a game was as good as possible with no artifacting, connection issues, or input delay but thats just me

There probably isn’t a good way to seamlessly do this due to the amount of RAM used, but I could see a game that had a menu option that one-button quick saves, quits cloud, loads local.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

univbee posted:

There probably isn’t a good way to seamlessly do this due to the amount of RAM used, but I could see a game that had a menu option that one-button quick saves, quits cloud, loads local.

Remember when you made fun of me for being hyped for Halo MCC back in 2014 and then blowing up because the game was broken

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Gamepass will be perfect when you can just xcloud stream games on Xbox before fully downloading them

Is this on the roadmap?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Remember when you made fun of me for being hyped for Halo MCC back in 2014 and then blowing up because the game was broken

When you come for the bee you gonna get stung

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

7 year gamer grudge

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Seltzer posted:

7 year gamer grudge

I knew one of them was a sex pest but drat, a 7 year-old?

Oh wait I’m thinking of game grumps

univbee fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 1, 2021

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
I'm not holding a grudge. I just thought it was pretty funny and made me laugh.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Real hurthling! posted:

This first impression bit is a real concern for me. People bounce off games they paid for at extreme rates. They'll bounce off trial ones even faster, and even faster on XCloud. You don't want to lose a player because the XCloud experience was rough if you'd keep them after a download.

Separated download packages help that a lot. Especially for single player games, and Xbox has been pretty good there but most games don't take full advantage (for good reasons, including that it's probably complicated?)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
£40 off the Xbox Series expansion card on Amazon at the moment, down to £179.99 from £219.99.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

£40 off the Xbox Series expansion card on Amazon at the moment, down to £179.99 from £219.99.

… how is it so expensive to begin with in the UK?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ungrateful colonies

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Adun posted:

… how is it so expensive to begin with in the UK?

That's been the recommended retail price since it was announced :shrug:

Still no word on any other manufacturers giving us some of that sweet sweet competition to drive down prices?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Still no word on any other manufacturers giving us some of that sweet sweet competition to drive down prices?

I think Microsoft signed a exclusivity deal with Seagate, they have it all over their marketing that they’re the only ones selling official storage expansions for the Xbox.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ms gave some standard business answer to a question about storage like last year maybe saying like they are always looking to expand their official accessory partnerships so people harbor hope that there will be a cheaper alternative one day but i would not hold my breath

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Just wild that their original MSRP was just “US dollars but add the pound sign in front of it”

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im not buying one til they announce a 2TB expansion and it drops in price.

I have an 1TB SSD external and 2TB total is not really enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Just get a USB3 external for cold storage and non-Series game overflow.

With the recent PS5 firmware beta allowing M2 drives and the crazy prices of those things I'll never understand paying half of the price of a next gen console just to have access to 50 games all at the same time.

I've gamed heavily on my Series X since launch and I'm still sitting with 160GB free, and that's with recently installing 140GB of Flight Sim.