Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Please drop the lootbox thing, seeing a half dozen people smash their face against someone arguing that something is bad and insistently using the term for something else that’s much worse has gone from funny to not.

I don’t think I’ve seen anything quite as maddening in this thread since Mister Bibs completely misunderstood the complaints about Oblivion’s leveling system like two years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

muscles like this! posted:

I started playing The Ascent which is an isometric twin stick shooter with loot/rpg elements. It has a good look and the moment to moment gameplay is good but it has the problem of not having a run combined with way too large areas making it a slog to get anywhere.

Yep it's weird intend to have an open world instead of maybe a small well designed hub and level based missions seems oddly annoying so far... hope it will change as I don't want to travel through the beautiful but utterly uninteresting megacity the entire game. The map also lacks proper recognizable abstraction of the game world.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

muscles like this! posted:

I started playing The Ascent which is an isometric twin stick shooter with loot/rpg elements. It has a good look and the moment to moment gameplay is good but it has the problem of not having a run combined with way too large areas making it a slog to get anywhere.

My friends all decided they wanted to play The Ascent as their game this weekend, and my problem with it is that the Windows Store absolutely will not install it (requires Administrator approval when I'm already on the admin account for this computer) and the Xbox app for PC also won't install it because of error code 0x0000001 (give or take a zero). I downloaded and installed the optional PC update KBwhateverthefuck they recommend, ran wsreset a dozen times, read a bunch of forum posts with similar issues with ineffectual advice and a bunch of other loving about and it still won't work, so I'm left out of the group activity and wasted most of an afternoon trying to get access to a game that doesn't even look that much fun to begin with, I just wanted to be able to play it with friends.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BiggerBoat posted:

I've heard really bad things about Doom 3 but I like picking up cheap games and it kind of sounds like my jam so is it worth a shot?

Doom 3 is...fine. It's not necessarily a terrible game in a vacuum, but it's a really bad Doom game in specific.

Though even then it still has some pretty egregious flaws. Like one of the worst shotguns I've experienced in a game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Doom 3 is okay, It's better without the Flashlight mod, it makes it super easy, and ruins the tebnsion. Horror ain't what peeps wanted but it and tension are what the game delivers so don't ignore it

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Please drop the lootbox thing, seeing a half dozen people smash their face against someone arguing that something is bad and insistently using the term for something else that’s much worse has gone from funny to not.

I don’t think I’ve seen anything quite as maddening in this thread since Mister Bibs completely misunderstood the complaints about Oblivion’s leveling system like two years ago.

You can't just throw that out there and walk away

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

It makes sense that some guy with no legal expertise would be panicking while representing himself in a murder trial... but yeah, it is super annoying. It gets better about it after the first case, although there's still plenty of fish out of water stuff.

The resolution of the second case is a bit of a wet fart though, MEGA SPOILERS: Your badass best friend, star law student and the flower of Japanese youth, gets pushed by a runaway abused teen, trips over a kitten and breaks his neck, dying instantly

Sounds like he shouldn't have thought about ants :colbert:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

christmas boots posted:

You can't just throw that out there and walk away

It starts here-ish.

MisterBibs posted:

I never quite understood this criticism. You didn't need to relentlessly focus on combat skills, just one (and an armor, or whatever) and fill in the rest with whatever you use regularly. Sure, if you filled your class with non-combat skills in a game where 90% of your enemies will (at some point) be hostile, you're screwed, but that's some "I selected the Always On Fire trait and I keep dying from being on fire" level of lack-of-foresight.

I remember reading that sort of thing and thinking "did these people forget this is a game where combat happens all the time?"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Fenyx Rising sure loves to make me watch a mini cutscene every single time I try to do anything. Especially fun since all the upgrade options are in one spot so you're usually going back and doing a bunch at once

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The Surge 2 seems to have finally chilled the hell out, but the DLC did come with one nasty thing: A Capra Demon-esque boss from hell. For no reason at all, he can do a ground slam attack that digs up little spider drones that shoot poison projectiles at you. If you try and close the distance, they near-instantly burrow underground and need to be coaxed out with an EMP shot. Meanwhile, the actual boss is setting everything on fire (including you, natch) and doing giant gently caress you charge attacks. Pat your head and rub your belly, rear end in a top hat. Ostensibly if you stay really aggro with him and parry well you can stop him from doing the summon attack, but it's hardly a sure bet. Oh, and adding to the Capra Demon comparison the whole fight takes place in a cramped, awkwardly-shaped arena which may have a ledge to accidentally throw yourself off of... The cherry on top is that I managed to exhaust his HP before his arm broke, which meant I was denied his weapon drop, the first time that's happened in the entire game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Retro Futurist posted:

Fenyx Rising sure loves to make me watch a mini cutscene every single time I try to do anything. Especially fun since all the upgrade options are in one spot so you're usually going back and doing a bunch at once

And if you want to buy 2 or 3 health/stamina upgrades at once because you went way too long between returning to the base and have heart pieces out the ears suddenly, you have to go through 2 or 3 upgrade cutscenes in a row.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’ve never seen a game with a random loot system that impressed me.

The loot is either 99% worthless so you spend the entire game using one to three weapons, you get consistent upgrades but each upgrade is just 3% more damage, or some system like crafting completely over shadows it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Frank Frank posted:

The 2nd boss fight in the Grim Troupe DLC was what made me finally say “gently caress this”. That poo poo is madness.

Yeah, I played that game for 40+ hours, but that made me decide I wasn't going to do everything. It was such an obvious case of an DLC/update boss that was going to be way more challenging than the actual final boss (who I hadn't fought yet). I imagine there are players who love that, but I was fine with just putting out the torch to deal with the Grimm Troupe.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 10:48 on Aug 1, 2021

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I could tell that boss was going to be something special when I first started the fight and got loving vaporized in like 8 seconds :allears:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah I did very little of Hollow Knight's DLC because it was focused heavily on boss stuff that was too difficult for me.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I really hate how so many video games have microtransactions. I should just get all the items when I go to the shop. I don’t get why I have to go to a menu and choose the things I want to buy

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Frank Frank posted:

Playing Doom Eternal now and that marauder enemy can eat my entire butthole

Marauders were weird to me - either they were a three minute slog of a fight where they dodge/block almost everything I throw at them, or a three second fight where they stand there and eat triple homing rockets. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, and I couldn't find any reason to either.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

And if you want to buy 2 or 3 health/stamina upgrades at once because you went way too long between returning to the base and have heart pieces out the ears suddenly, you have to go through 2 or 3 upgrade cutscenes in a row.

I can’t remember which button it is but you can definitely jump through these. On PS4 I think it’s O button, I usually just mashed it a few times and it skipped through

Also I don’t remember it showing a cutscene for ever upgrade, just the most recent one, like if you’re upgrading weapons and stuff, whatever you did last would show in the cutscene and that was it.

e: I think it’s that you have to hit the button several times because the cutscene is actually made up of a couple different vids, each a couple seconds long so if you only hit it once, it’ll skip to the next part of the total scene and keep playing. That probably doesn’t make any sense

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 17:48 on Aug 1, 2021

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I occasionally mess with idle games, and I recently realized that if there are any microtransactions, the game is complete bullshit and not even worth it as a mindless thing to click on. Like, it means the whole game has been balanced to be unplayable.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Clicker Heroes 2 was so close, in that it was a clicker game with an explicit “you are paying for a full-ish price game. There are no microtransactions”. Too bad it was a lovely clicker game.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Joey Freshwater posted:

I can’t remember which button it is but you can definitely jump through these. On PS4 I think it’s O button, I usually just mashed it a few times and it skipped through

Also I don’t remember it showing a cutscene for ever upgrade, just the most recent one, like if you’re upgrading weapons and stuff, whatever you did last would show in the cutscene and that was it.

e: I think it’s that you have to hit the button several times because the cutscene is actually made up of a couple different vids, each a couple seconds long so if you only hit it once, it’ll skip to the next part of the total scene and keep playing. That probably doesn’t make any sense

Yeah that’s one of the weirder things about it, you can hit a button to skip but for whatever reason they did everything in pieces so you have to mash your way through, so it still takes too long. Just a bizarre choice; of the many things they took from botw, sitting there watching cut scenes while your food cooks/potions get made wasn’t a great one

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Been slowly going the Bioshock collection with my niece and we just finished the Infinite dlc.

I actually enjoyed Bioshock Infinite much more the second time around, but the dlc is pretty weak.

The first episode of Burial At Sea is insanely short. I think we finished it in under 2 hours. The second dlc episode has you play as Elizabeth, but without any of her powers. You can't melee enemies unless they are unaware, can't skyhook attack , and you only have 4 plasmids, 3 of which can't really be used offensively. So you're just smaller, weaker Booker with no one to open tears or find ammo for you. You never have more than 2 or 3 pieces of ammo for your crossbow. They force you to play it as a Bioshock stealth game, which would be cool , but trying to shoehorn a stealth system into the Infinite combat system does not work at all. The enemies turn around with no warning, there's no stealth kill prompt, you just have to hope you're in melee kill range. Its like Dishonored, if the enemies had AI from a different game and you had no movement abilities. They somehow made Elizabeth killing Daisy even stupider. The only real plus is in the dlc you can hold more than 2 guns at once, which was one of the stupidest decisions the Infinite team made.
Also my 9 year old nice called the " Booker is Comstock " almost instantly.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
What did she think of the torture scene.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

I’ve never seen a game with a random loot system that impressed me.

The loot is either 99% worthless so you spend the entire game using one to three weapons, you get consistent upgrades but each upgrade is just 3% more damage, or some system like crafting completely over shadows it.

It was very novel when Diablo 2 first expanded upon the idea. Not so much today, especially not in action-games.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

My guess is they'll gloss over Vettel being great and go straight to the fuel dq

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Been slowly going the Bioshock collection with my niece and we just finished the Infinite dlc.

I actually enjoyed Bioshock Infinite much more the second time around, but the dlc is pretty weak.

The first episode of Burial At Sea is insanely short. I think we finished it in under 2 hours. The second dlc episode has you play as Elizabeth, but without any of her powers. You can't melee enemies unless they are unaware, can't skyhook attack , and you only have 4 plasmids, 3 of which can't really be used offensively. So you're just smaller, weaker Booker with no one to open tears or find ammo for you. You never have more than 2 or 3 pieces of ammo for your crossbow. They force you to play it as a Bioshock stealth game, which would be cool , but trying to shoehorn a stealth system into the Infinite combat system does not work at all. The enemies turn around with no warning, there's no stealth kill prompt, you just have to hope you're in melee kill range. Its like Dishonored, if the enemies had AI from a different game and you had no movement abilities. They somehow made Elizabeth killing Daisy even stupider. The only real plus is in the dlc you can hold more than 2 guns at once, which was one of the stupidest decisions the Infinite team made.
Also my 9 year old nice called the " Booker is Comstock " almost instantly.

When I read "hold more than 2 guns at once" I automatically thought you meant triple wielding guns somehow.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

John Murdoch posted:

[...]

Also, they've only just now introduced fast travel and it's the clumsiest thing. First of all, the fast travel system was actually there the whole time, just arbitrarily locked because you couldn't go up ziplines. Second, it only takes you between the three non-combat hubs which largely makes it redundant with the 800 shortcuts (including all the new ones!) that take you through the overworld or the now-accessible underground. And three, even though you've been to all of these locations previously, it would ruin the flow of the game to let you freely travel between them immediately, so you have to manually traverse to each one again before it's unlocked as a fast travel destination. The Lordvessel it is not.

Ultimately all roads - seriously there's like five different routes and you can freely take any of them - lead to the Port so you can have a showdown with the cult at their HQ and from what I can tell...it's basically untouched. All the same enemies I was fighting at the start of the game. Things are a bit different once you get closer to the actual HQ, but otherwise it really messes with the pacing. And speaking of wonky pacing, I'm putting a pin in all of that anyway, because the DLC also barges into the game at this point so I'm doing that first.

First, gently caress that mech boss. I think I died to him more than any other enemy or boss (including the GAIA statues), and THEN I finally got to the second phase and said, out loud to an empty room, "you're loving kidding me." That part was only really difficult because of the mech still doing stuff, like you said. I think they put in the audio of the machine gun firing nonstop over the death screen just to rub it in that he never has to loving reload that thing.

Replying to the actual post that I quoted: Fast travel is unlocked way too late to be very useful, though it makes finishing the DJ's quest a lot faster. Of course, NG+ re-locks the story-locked upgrades (drone, EMP pulse, both versions of the zipline, something else I feel like I'm missing), so you can't even enjoy zipping around after you've finished the game and started over at mk. 10.

You liked CREO World if I remember correctly, so I think you'll like the change of scenery on the Krakow. Maybe not, though, it's not for everyone. Be thorough exploring and you'll get some fun stuff. I used one of the armor sets for the rest of the game because it had some nice bonuses for my playstyle. I think the DLC bumps up your power level a bit more than what the final (main game) area was designed for, but the new enemies that show up in the last act make up for it (they also start appearing in NG+ in earlier areas, kinda like the patchwork-armor zombies from NG+ in the first game).

Actual thread content: gently caress that purple ninja in Sekiro, in the memory level. That dude has killed me so many times (once had him to one-more-hit levels of hp, and he just instantly murder-hosed me). I have the blade-stomp counter, and it works when I remember to not move before hitting the button, but that doesn't happen often because I'm trying to dodge away a lot because gently caress that ninja dude. It's frustrating enough that I just stopped playing the game about a month ago, and when I do finally go back to it, I'm just going to leave that level and go back to the giant snake. I already got 2 upgrades out of the memory level, and a buddy had to tell me how to actually use the bell and that I could just fast-travel back to the temple from the memory level to install them. They won't help against the one-shotting snake boss, but my buddy was surprised I'd gotten to that point without those upgrades (the axe-arm and the... fire thing, I think).

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 00:04 on Aug 2, 2021

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Are the DLCs for doom eternal worth it? Kinda steep at $20 a pop

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

beats for junkies posted:

Of course, NG+ re-locks the story-locked upgrades (drone, EMP pulse, both versions of the zipline, something else I feel like I'm missing), so you can't even enjoy zipping around after you've finished the game and started over at mk. 10.

The upgrade that lets you open nano walls.

I'm dreading having to backtrack to grab them...including the one they put in the one-way tunnel immediately preceding you getting the upgrade. Like c'mon. And unlike the first game nobody's made a comprehensive guide covering all of them, blech. Looking into it, apparently most of them only have scrap bundles behind them, so what was even the point? :psyduck: Given the spoilers I've seen regarding the upcoming bosses I get a strong feeling the budget ran out exactly around this part of the game.

You liked CREO World if I remember correctly, so I think you'll like the change of scenery on the Krakow. Maybe not, though, it's not for everyone. Be thorough exploring and you'll get some fun stuff. I used one of the armor sets for the rest of the game because it had some nice bonuses for my playstyle. I think the DLC bumps up your power level a bit more than what the final (main game) area was designed for, but the new enemies that show up in the last act make up for it (they also start appearing in NG+ in earlier areas, kinda like the patchwork-armor zombies from NG+ in the first game).

Unfortunately I found the whole thing underwhelming. Beyond the first boss being not great as I mentioned earlier, it's too short and the arena setpiece was really bland. The final boss was legitimately good, though. I think my biggest problem is just that it has all these ideas and no room to explore any of them. Pirate robots? Giant AI core octopus mech thing? A fakey suburbia built on top of a giant retrofitted aircraft carrier? Intrigue about robot self-determination? All awesome, but the DLC's over in like an hour. Really disappointing compared to CREO World. Also weirdly it didn't give me a notable power boost. Aside from having a free version of the "get energy from taking damage" implant that's stupidly only available to certain character backgrounds otherwise, everything was dropping appropriately leveled stuff.

Today's :negative: revelation: It turns out you can detonate the EMP sticky bomb early instead of waiting for it go off. I actually kinda liked waiting it out since with my slow weapons I could time it so my combo finished and it went off at roughly the same time and it was cool if maybe not strictly effective, but the the DLC has instances where you really do want to be able to have it go off *now* not three seconds later. Plus the whole waiting for it to open doors thing...gah.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 02:59 on Aug 2, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So it turns out that you eventually unlock a use anywhere fast travel system in The Ascent which definitely ameliorates the problems with backtracking. However I did run into another annoyance where the game gives you side missions for areas that are locked behind the main story but don't actually tell you that. I followed the mission marker to an elevator that I could open the door to but it didn't actually let you get in and not in an in universe way but more in a "this looks like it is broken/bugged" way.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

John Murdoch posted:

What did she think of the torture scene.

She harvested every little sister and her favorite movie is Monster Squad, so she was fine with.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Gaius Marius posted:

Doom 3 is okay, It's better without the Flashlight mod, it makes it super easy, and ruins the tebnsion. Horror ain't what peeps wanted but it and tension are what the game delivers so don't ignore it

But have you considered the fact that I am a huge baby and don't like being jump scared in the dark. I will stick to my perma flashlight mod thank you very much.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There are definitely a few places where money becomes a limiter/bottleneck. In particular there's some really expensive charm upgrades in the Grimm Troupe content (which is one of the free post-launch "dlc" expansions, theoretically designed to be done simultaneously as you play through the game but in practice the starting trigger for it his hidden way out of the way and you'll probably need to wiki it).

I was bottle-necked at the beginning, when the first introduce the item shop and the charm shop, but never again until I unlocked the Grimm Troupe. Which was crazy expensive, I only purchased on of the three upgrades when I beat the game. The money must have stopped being useful really early in the game before they added that DLC.

Frank Frank posted:

The 2nd boss fight in the Grim Troupe DLC was what made me finally say “gently caress this”. That poo poo is madness.

Yeah, I found the flame guys super tedious (fighting a teleporting enemy in a melee platformer) and then the first boss fight took me a lot of tries. I didn't even both with harvest enough flame guys to trigger the second boss fight.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

jjack229 posted:

Yeah, I found the flame guys super tedious (fighting a teleporting enemy in a melee platformer) and then the first boss fight took me a lot of tries. I didn't even both with harvest enough flame guys to trigger the second boss fight.

You didn't miss much. He annihilates you before you can blink. Like, he has attacks that fill 95% of the screen and you have to react and memorize exactly where to stand or it's lights out. The whole fight is like that. One gently caress up and you're dead. After getting utterly smoked for about the umpteenth time, I went and looked at videos of people doing it online and said "yeah I don't have the reflexes for this anymore".

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Zil posted:

But have you considered the fact that I am a huge baby and don't like being jump scared in the dark. I will stick to my perma flashlight mod thank you very much.

While I'm not steadfastly against the idea that it's cool to try and preserve a game's intentions instead of stomping all over it with mods...the flashlight mod isn't even that intrusive to the experience from what I remember. Mainly because IIRC the flashlight just makes a small circle in the center of the screen not dark. It's not like you're modding out the entire lighting engine and running around the game in fullbright.

Maybe the modern re-release with it built-in fucks it up worse idk.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I don’t think I’ve seen anything quite as maddening in this thread since Mister Bibs

Agreed.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Hey thanks Bethesda for the free next-gen graphical upgrade for Doom Eternal. Pretty sweet that it now supports ray tracing and 120 FPS...

...also THANKS A TON for deleting all of my save game data. I was literally on the last mission of the game and now I get to start over. LOL!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I want to like Red Dead Online so much, but there's never anything to hunt. I just want to fool around aimlessly, hunting. There's hardly any animals compared to also story mode. Why are there no animals in online??? Is it just to make it artificially harder? I hate it.

Oh well, back to story mode I guess.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Actual thread content: gently caress that purple ninja in Sekiro, in the memory level. That dude has killed me so many times (once had him to one-more-hit levels of hp, and he just instantly murder-hosed me). I have the blade-stomp counter, and it works when I remember to not move before hitting the button, but that doesn't happen often because I'm trying to dodge away a lot because gently caress that ninja dude.

These guys can be tough at first especially since people are really early in the game when they encounter the guy you are on.

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to not dodge away from the ninja. You should be standing your ground and deflecting all of his attacks, this goes true for most bosses and enemies in Sekiro.

As for my actual game complaint: The fear effect in Prey makes a dumb noise and shakes your screen a bunch. It’s not hard to power through the effect and it’s just annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Frank Frank posted:

Are the DLCs for doom eternal worth it? Kinda steep at $20 a pop

I didn't see anybody answer you so I'm just going to say, unfortunately, no.

It all depends on how you feel about the Marauders, really. An enemy that stops your gameplay flow and forces you to use a specific weapon and/or tactic. Both DLCs introduce things that require special attention like the Marauders do, so use that information while making your decision.