Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Everyone posted:

It'll probably have to wait until the back half of the season, but I'll bet that Amity's mom will be less than pleased at Amity's choice of love interest. Figure the twins will think it's great, though.

Oh yeah, I mean she didn't want Amity having a lower-class friend, she's gonna be super pissed about having her having a girlfriend that has literally zero social standing (and is a literal other species) in the kingdom.

xeria posted:

Yeah, was just thinking today that surely Odalia and Alador are going to make a reappearance in S2's second half, especially considering they're clearly in favor of Belos' coven system and supplying him abomatons.

They're not supplying the abomatons of their own free will though (and we don't know how much Belos is paying versus how much they would get from their other customers) so I can honestly see them maybe flipping on Belos when the big inevitable fight goes down. The free market is stronger than any allegiance to some coven system :capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Everyone posted:

Well, sure, but think about it - especially from Luz's modern Earth perspective. Setting up an elaborate "Tunnel of Love" thing for somebody you haven't even asked out comes across less as "lovely romantic gesture" and more "crazy stalker person who will eventually cut my heart out and put it in a jar in the fridge next to those of her other victims."

Plus we know that on Earth Luz was "not quite a social butterfly." Given the snakes and spiders, there's every chance that when Luz did crush on somebody she'd do some big dramatic, cheesy thing that scared them off, or, worse, ended with them mocking her humiliation. Luz really likes Amity and she pretty sure that Amity like her, so she's just desperate for things to not blow up in her face and spoil things.

Oh no I totally get it! I'm not saying it doesn't make sense or it's badly written or anything. But like, from Amity's point of view, between the kiss on the cheek and the "Stay away from MY LUZ!" she made her intentions pretty clear. This must look like a pretty solid rejection to her. She looks so disconsolate as Luz goes on a rampage on the (admittedly somewhat creepy) animatronics.

Incidentally, Hooty sure went through a lot of effort for this helping missiong of his, between gathering demons to assist with King's lessons and setting up the tunnel of love (did he build it? Did he grow it inside himself?)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Also, in case people missed it:

Willow built a little bed for her palisman.
It is fantastic.
Willow is fantastic.
That is all.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

kidcoelacanth posted:

My favorite reaction to this new episode that I've seen is "yes it's finally canon!" wrt Luz and Amity, like motherfucker it's been canon since goddamn episode 10 or some poo poo. Anyway good ep.

Are you sure about that? Sure, Amitiy placed a playful kiss on her cheek, but is there any conclusive evidence that either of these girls like each other? I think we should wait for some definitive proof, before we assume anything. Sure feels weird that the newest episode was so short. They could have added a third story besides Eda's and King's.

I'm joking, but I do kinda wonder, what Disney plans to do with this show wrt to international release. That stuff wont fly in Russia.
"It's really weird that Amities purple haired twin brother appeared and suddenly kissed Luz, isn't it? But she seems to like him."

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Aug 1, 2021

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

Are you sure about that? Sure, Amitiy placed a playful kiss on her cheek, but is there any conclusive evidence that either of these girls like each other? I think we should wait for some definitive proof, before we assume anything. Sure feels weird that the newest episode was so short. They could have added a third story besides Eda's and King's.

I'm joking, but I do kinda wonder, what Disney plans to do with this show wrt to international release. That stuff wont fly in Russia.

I've seen YouTube comments mentioning how in their home country (which I have no idea what it is, I didn't check) Willow's dads were blurred out and they expected this episode to straight up not be shown.

It's hardly proof of anything but there you go.

e: here's some more about it https://twitter.com/owlphibia/status/1306943172417904640

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 1, 2021

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I found it really amusing how the first segment was just Alex Hirsch talking to himself a bunch, and also Dana was there.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Cattail Prophet posted:

I found it really amusing how the first segment was just Alex Hirsch talking to himself a bunch, and also Dana was there.

Now I wonder if he makes one take where he switches between the roles, or two takes overlaid to form a dialogue.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel there's a vibe where while Hooty's actions obviously didn't work out as planned, he at least did something. Some people will stew in their own insecurity forever til you poke them. Though that isn't always the best solution. At least act in good faith, and hell, Hooty's approach to King in particular was mostly valid- telling King everything that's known about demons and give him a knowledge base to work from.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
End of the episode: drat it Hooty.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Hooty is the best loving character

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
King was rocking Asuka's dance uniform.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the contrast with how the demon-teaching classes[spoiler] are portrayed compared to the first season - [spoiler]when King tried to teach Luz he wasn't really getting anywhere because he didn't have any real structure or experience to draw from, it was mostly just examples with no real backbone to link them together. Hooty was far more meticulous, and has narrowed down that King is either a bipedal type demon (if his magic voice powers come from innate bile-sac magic) or beast-type (if they originate elsewhere). It would be kind of neat to see King start properly trying to learn more about demonics so that he can figure out himself... for himself. I mean, certainly it doesn't take a genius to figure out King's not an insect type, but now it's been officially ruled out. Half the point of science is ruling out the stupid answers after all.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think the point of all that was that King actually ISN'T a demon.

I'm personally betting King and his dad are of the same race as the Titan.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Nodosaur posted:

Good point, I may have been watching with tunnel vision based off prior misconceptions.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nodosaur posted:

Didn't the skeleton seen as the terrain in the Owl-beast's flashback have vaguely King-like features rather than being the Titan?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

xeria posted:

Yeah, was just thinking today that surely Odalia and Alador are going to make a reappearance in S2's second half, especially considering they're clearly in favor of Belos' coven system and supplying him abomatons. Amity's romance with ~The Human~ is one of many things that put her squarely in opposition to them but it's probably a pretty big one, enough to where I wonder how much she'll try to keep everything on the down-low (not just romance but also helping Luz figure out the portal, etc.) even if only to keep her family situation from boiling over.

I'm not sure the opposition will really be from "them." He's only really shown up once, but my read on Alador is that he's a bit of a social misfit genius who's happiest puttering around his lab making cool stuff. He lets Odira run the household/business because he just doesn't want to screw with it. Still, he does have limits. He shut down Odira when she was going to try to get Gus, Luz and Willow kicked out of school again despite her deal.

Also, Alador pointed out how powerful Amity was getting. It wouldn't surprise me if he figured that what was really bringing out Amity's power was her desire to protect her "little school friend." Which makes me wonder if Alador will enlist the twins to play some (apparently) life-threatening "pranks" on Luz to bring out Amity's protective instincts (and more of her power). But in that case he'd be very supportive of Amity and Luz dating.

xeria posted:

My other thought today: boy we're 8 eps in and Willow's been almost nonexistent aside from ep2.

Problems/conflict = story. Story = screentime. Willow's main issues as presented were her relative lack of potent magic and her broken friendship with Amity. Both of those have pretty much been resolved. Unless/until Willow gets some new problems/issues her screentime will likely stay limited.

TwoPair posted:

Oh yeah, I mean she didn't want Amity having a lower-class friend, she's gonna be super pissed about having her having a girlfriend that has literally zero social standing (and is a literal other species) in the kingdom.

I think things are a little more complicated than that. There seems to be a strong undercurrent of interest in and fascination with humans in the Boiling Isles. There's a Human Appreciation Society in Hexside. Eda was apparently able to make a pretty good living selling human garbage because it was human garbage. One big reason that Bump was open to Luz attending Hexside was because she was human. Not only that, but Luz is a human who can use magic (which she used to shut down the Emperor's "petrificator" in front of a large crowd). She helped defeat a Greater Basilisk and with Amity as "co-Queen" bound Grometheus the Fear-Bringer. Plus every student who just got a new Palesman owes that to Eda and by extension to Luz.

While Luz probably doesn't have any "official" social standing like Full Witch, Baroness, etc. she's probably well known and more than somewhat popular.

And she's probably going to be more than somewhat surprised to learn that because she still tends to think of herself as the same "Luz-er" (you know damned well that some little rear end in a top hat called her that ) she was back on Earth.

TwoPair posted:

They're not supplying the abomatons of their own free will though (and we don't know how much Belos is paying versus how much they would get from their other customers) so I can honestly see them maybe flipping on Belos when the big inevitable fight goes down. The free market is stronger than any allegiance to some coven system :capitalism:

Figure that and if/when Belos comes after Amity they'll stand with her. I do admit to kind of siding with Belos on the Abomaton issue. I mean here in the USA would we really want wealthy assholes being able to drive around in fully armed M1-Abrams tanks or fly F-22A Raptors complete with missiles?

paradoxGentleman posted:

Oh no I totally get it! I'm not saying it doesn't make sense or it's badly written or anything. But like, from Amity's point of view, between the kiss on the cheek and the "Stay away from MY LUZ!" she made her intentions pretty clear. This must look like a pretty solid rejection to her. She looks so disconsolate as Luz goes on a rampage on the (admittedly somewhat creepy) animatronics.

I really liked that scene precisely because Luz was so caught up in her panicked embarrassment that she didn't even notice how much she was bumming Amity out. It made Luz feel more like a real teenager to me. Sometimes Luz has come off as almost "too good." Showcasing her flaws, vulnerabilities and insecurities makes Luz seem more real to me - and if anything even more lovable.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Incidentally, Hooty sure went through a lot of effort for this helping mission of his, between gathering demons to assist with King's lessons and setting up the tunnel of love (did he build it? Did he grow it inside himself?)

Do you really, honestly want to chug the 99 Octane Nightmare Fuel that will come from full answers to those questions?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BTW, just gotta say I love the “curse = dealing with mental illness” symbolism in the latest ep. Really great message.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

JazzFlight posted:

BTW, just gotta say I love the “curse = dealing with mental illness” symbolism in the latest ep. Really great message.

I love that Eda's current resolution is that she's a "birdier" version of "Banner-Hulk."

As far as demons go, weren't the Boilings Isle referred to as being part of "The Demon Lands" or something. I think that aside from Luz (and any other as yet unrevealed humans) everyone in the Boiling Isles is some kind of demon - including the "witchlings."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Xelkelvos posted:

End of the episode: drat it Hooty.

I hated that bit so much. Set up something interesting, and oh no, better instantly delay that for another while. It's frustrating storytelling.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Man, I just love how there was absolutely no possible way Hooty could have possibly set up The Tunnel of Love by himself and how he accomplished it is never even questioned.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The_Doctor posted:

I hated that bit so much. Set up something interesting, and oh no, better instantly delay that for another while. It's frustrating storytelling.

I was okay with it. Hooty cares about Eda, Luz and King and wants good things for them, but he is kind of an irresponsible flake, so him doing that was perfectly in character.

Plus there's just two more episodes until the mid-season break. Based on the episode descriptions on IMDB, they seem to be focusing on making a new portal to Earth so there probably wouldn't be room for that and King's father. I'd rather they wait and do that story justice rather than trying to cram it in immediately.

KingKalamari posted:

Man, I just love how there was absolutely no possible way Hooty could have possibly set up The Tunnel of Love by himself and how he accomplished it is never even questioned.

Why would there be no possible way for Hooty to do that? We really don't know what "house demons" can or cannot do. However, changing the internal structure/furnishings/decorations in their houses seems like a reasonable ability for them to have. Honestly the bigger "deal-questioner" for me was how he got Amity to the house in the first place. It looked a bit like he just kidnapped her out of her own (presumably well-protected) house.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nodosaur posted:

My personal bet is that King's constant assertion that he's the King of Demons is because his dad actually was the (or at least a) King of Demons and only hasn't been around because I'm assuming Belos forced him into exile with his creepy rear end titan powers.

(for a while last season and up to his focus episode, my bet was that King himself actually was the King of Demons but some mysterious thing (that would probably be Belos related) forced him down into cuddly form, and that he would get his true form back when he got his other horn, but clearly I was wrong there)

Everyone posted:

Figure that and if/when Belos comes after Amity they'll stand with her. I do admit to kind of siding with Belos on the Abomaton issue. I mean here in the USA would we really want wealthy assholes being able to drive around in fully armed M1-Abrams tanks or fly F-22A Raptors complete with missiles?

It seems like based on their sales pitch, the abomatons are designed solely to be big purple home security systems rather than real weapons. That said, kinda like a guard dog, it doesn't matter what they're designed/trained for, a giant purple goo monster is a giant purple goo monster and I'm sure they could (and definitely will) be weaponized by any rich rear end in a top hat with ill intent.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 2, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

TwoPair posted:

It seems like based on their sales pitch, the abomatons are designed solely to be big purple home security systems rather than real weapons. That said, kinda like a guard dog, it doesn't matter what they're designed/trained for, a giant purple goo monster is a giant purple goo monster and I'm sure they could (and definitely will) be weaponized by any rich rear end in a top hat with ill intent.

Well, not any rich rear end in a top hat with ill intent. Just one. Because figure Belos very much counts as a rich rear end in a top hat with ill intent.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Though then again, the Boiling Isles is a place where you can have teenage hooligans with building-destroying magic and wild pests the size of a bus. Going overboard on home security doesn't seem so stupid when it might be the difference between continuing to have a home in the morning or not.

BioEnchanted posted:

I like the contrast with how the demon-teaching classes[spoiler] are portrayed compared to the first season - [spoiler]when King tried to teach Luz he wasn't really getting anywhere because he didn't have any real structure or experience to draw from, it was mostly just examples with no real backbone to link them together. Hooty was far more meticulous, and has narrowed down that King is either a bipedal type demon (if his magic voice powers come from innate bile-sac magic) or beast-type (if they originate elsewhere). It would be kind of neat to see King start properly trying to learn more about demonics so that he can figure out himself... for himself. I mean, certainly it doesn't take a genius to figure out King's not an insect type, but now it's been officially ruled out. Half the point of science is ruling out the stupid answers after all.

Yeah, again it's a good example of while how Hooty doesn't have much more in the way of concrete answers right off, he's put in the effort, and raised some reasonable questions that they can start with. Also, some new exposition to us, that demons are known to arise on their own from the corpse of the Titan, which iirc is also some confirmation that the Boiling Isles are commonly known to actually be the corpse of a living being and don't just look suspiciously like one.

Also, everyone including Eda seems a little too into her fursona. Feathersona? Owlsona?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

JazzFlight posted:

Could you elaborate on this? I got the curse=mental illness parallel in the past (the elixir as a metaphor for meds wasn't subtle) but I didn't pick up anything in particular from this. If anything painting the curse as another entity inside of Eda confused it a bit.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've just realised - King's squeak of rage has now been weaponised

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

paradoxGentleman posted:

Could you elaborate on this? I got the curse=mental illness parallel in the past (the elixir as a metaphor for meds wasn't subtle) but I didn't pick up anything in particular from this. If anything painting the curse as another entity inside of Eda confused it a bit.

Maybe the idea of reaching some level of tolerance/acceptance of your atypical mental nature is better than exhausting yourself trying to be "completely normal" in all ways at all times?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Everyone posted:

Maybe the idea of reaching some level of tolerance/acceptance of your atypical mental nature is better than exhausting yourself trying to be "completely normal" in all ways at all times?

Hm. That kind of came across during the Raine scene, but I never got the feeling that Eda was putting up much of a front for other people before this episode, so it didn't click much. Thanks for pointing that out.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

paradoxGentleman posted:

Hm. That kind of came across during the Raine scene, but I never got the feeling that Eda was putting up much of a front for other people before this episode, so it didn't click much. Thanks for pointing that out.

It's not so much about other people, it's about her accepting, making peace with, and trying to live with the owlbeast (aka her mental health issues) instead of constantly fighting and suppressing them.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Look at the precious cinnamon buns. LOOK AT THEM

https://twitter.com/DanaTerrace/status/1421698192886800389

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Didn't the skeleton seen as the terrain in the Owl-beast's flashback have vaguely King-like features rather than being the Titan?

No, it looked more like the thing one of King's race was fighting in the carvings, which means that King's race is contemporaneous with the Titans.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

New ep:

Amity going full MY GIRLFRIEND mode is very funny
Fight scene good

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

kidcoelacanth posted:

New ep:

Amity going full MY GIRLFRIEND mode is very funny
Fight scene good

Sick Luz was pretty fun, too. And Dragonclaw Z was cute, too.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The message from the beginning was U R PRETTY

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Mine cart chases aren't as fun as video games led me to believe :negative:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Some fun thoughts on ep 9:
-Is it just me, or was the “Hey, Steve!” possibly a little silly Homestar Runner reference?
-Also, is it just me or are they leaning into the Amity = Katara’s voice actress and now she’s a water bender w her abomination slime bottle on her hip?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

DarklyDreaming posted:

Mine cart chases aren't as fun as video games led me to believe :negative:

They weren't particularly fun in those video games either! :argh:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

JazzFlight posted:

-Is it just me, or was the “Hey, Steve!” possibly a little silly Homestar Runner reference?
-Also, is it just me or are they leaning into the Amity = Katara’s voice actress and now she’s a water bender w her abomination slime bottle on her hip?

I'm not familiar with Homestar Runner but likely Dana Terrace is so maybe?

As far the idea of Amity = Katara's VA so "Abomination bending" = water bending, I'm less certain about that. The Abomination Track is basically the "monster maker" track. So, unless Amity can manipulate the slime stuff as she does, it takes away from her ability to be a legitimate action character. Before she became (was revealed to be) one of the good guys, it was okay that she had a pet monster-thing where she could point it at an enemy and say "Get 'em!" Now that she is one of the good guys (and Luz's full-on ride-or-die girlfriend) Amity needs some ability that lets her act more directly in action stuff.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

kefkafloyd posted:

They weren't particularly fun in those video games either! :argh:

My recently purchase copy of Donkey Kong Country for the SNES begs to differ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

I'm pretty sure Eda's "Byeeee" is a 'Most Popular Girls in School" reference so I wouldn't be surprised