Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

nate fisher posted:

I am amazed that the big networks just don't offer a free app that uses your location to let you stream your local broadcast for free (they are commercial supported, so why not?). My google-fu might be off, but it looks like ABC doesn't have it's own streaming service yet (I have to be just missing it)? I know with Paramount and Peacock app you streaming your local broadcast on them. It might be best to reach out to a family member who still has cable and borrow their sign on to get ABC.

Does Disney+ carry ABC shows? I don’t have D+, but that seems like the obvious place for ABC to put its shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cafe Barbarian posted:

3 Days of the Condor (1975)
Robert Redford is codename Condor, a minor CIA analyst who has the worst couple days imaginable after an attack on his office leaves him on the run and unable to trust anyone. It has a skeezy plot element where he takes Faye Dunaway hostage and she stockholm syndrome falls for him. However, this is a great movie, Dunaway and Redford are at their best and Max Von Sydow is excellent as a very genteel assassin.

I spent years thinking this was the same movie as The Day of the Jackal

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

feedmyleg posted:

What about Locast? I get CBS, NBC, Fox, ABC, PBS, etc. all for free based on my location.

Locast is what prompted the discussion. I tried it this morning, and they would only allow me to watch it in 15 minute increments without paying $5 a month.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
That's weird, I get all the local channels with Sling which is why I use it for football season. Then I have my separate paramount app if the games are on CBS and then the NBC app for Sunday night. It is a massive massive pain and yeah I have no idea why local channels don't just stream for free. For whatever reason I had a digital antenna that worked great and then one season just stopped picking up any channels. I even bought a brand new one but couldn't get anything.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

feedmyleg posted:

What about Locast? I get CBS, NBC, Fox, ABC, PBS, etc. all for free based on my location.

The person above said they got frequent, persistent donation request pop-up so while watching.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh whoops, missed that part of the discussion somehow. The 15 minutes thing wasn't the case when I last used it, but that was ages ago. I just use an over-the-air digital antenna for those incredibly rare times that I actually want to watch network TV. But even then, mostly I'll end up on MeTV or Laff or Grit or some other bizarro local channel showing Bonanza or whatnot.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I used Locast to watch all my local NFL games last season, but yeah I did pay the $5 monthly which stops the donation prompts. About 25 bucks for an NFL season was worth it for me. I tried the OTA stuff before and it was pretty poo poo using one of those adhesive window ones. They obviously work a lot better if you get a real antenna and put it on your roof but I'm sure as hell not doing that. I use Hulu TV now which is quite costly but the family uses it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It definitely depends on exact placement of the antenna and your apartment/house. I've had my antenna at 3 different apartments in Brooklyn over the past 8 years with wildly different results. Sometimes just moving it a few feet can make a big difference, so I just got an extra-long coax cable so I can extend it to the ideal spot every time.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I use Locast more than any streaming service. It’s worth 5 a month. I don’t even live in one of their covered areas but it’s pretty easy to get around that with a Chrome extension. The downside is I can’t use the Apple TV/iOS app so I have to airplay from my Mac to Apple TV.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The White Lotus continues to be really good. I think this was the best episode yet. Jennifer Coolidge and Murray Bartlett are my faves so far, but Molly Shannon's performance was :kiss: She perfectly embodies the horrible rich mother-in-law, it's amazing and awful to watch.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

wizardofloneliness posted:

The White Lotus continues to be really good. I think this was the best episode yet. Jennifer Coolidge and Murray Bartlett are my faves so far, but Molly Shannon's performance was :kiss: She perfectly embodies the horrible rich mother-in-law, it's amazing and awful to watch.

Oh, it's just fantastic. Regarding last night's ending:

Apparently, the script was they would walk in on Bartlett and Gage's characters loving. When they got on set, they were like, we should do something a little more unexpected, so they suggested they walk in on Bartlett eating Gage's rear end. Mike White liked the idea, and they worked it out with the intimacy coordinator. In an interview on avclub today, Gage said that he felt completely comfortable filming the scene.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cafe Barbarian posted:

3 Days of the Condor (1975)
Robert Redford is codename Condor, a minor CIA analyst who has the worst couple days imaginable after an attack on his office leaves him on the run and unable to trust anyone. It has a skeezy plot element where he takes Faye Dunaway hostage and she stockholm syndrome falls for him. However, this is a great movie, Dunaway and Redford are at their best and Max Von Sydow is excellent as a very genteel assassin.

The Parallax View (1974)
Warren Beatty is a reporter who suspects the existence of and tries to investigate a secret network of assassins.

Marathon Man (1976)
Dustin Hoffman is pursued by Nazi war criminals and complicit CIA types who believe his brother, Roy Scheider, gave him secret information. Oscar nominated performance by Larry Olives as the nazi.

These are post-Watergate paranoia thrillers. They're all pretty good movies, I would say I liked 3 Days, Marathon Man, Parallax in that order. Never been a big Warren Beatty fan but he is pretty good in Parallax. Marathon Man is the most famous because of some shocking torture sequences. Way more topless and nude Dustin Hoffman in this than I was expecting. It was the first movie to be shown in theaters that used the Steadicam, and Olivier famously suggested to Hoffman that he should 'try acting' instead of putting himself through method hell for his performance.

What service is this all on

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

veni veni veni posted:

Watched a couple episodes of Patriot. I'm definitely on board. I don't know if I fully understand the level of praise quite yet, but it's very good regardless and I am still early on so maybe I'll understand why people think it's a goat soon enough. It's a pretty hard show to categorize. It's sort of like...If Wes Anderson was less self indulgent, not twee and very violent? I dunno lol.

I wasn't really sure if I like it after just a couple episodes. After a few I was fully on board. By the end of both seasons, I can say that it's one of my favorite shows ever.

And Perpetual Grace 100% deserves a watch afterwards.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Mark Ronson has a docuseries on Apple TV called Watch the Sound with Mark Ronson. I've watched the first 4 episodes, and it's fantastic. Each episode focuses on a specific trend in music, and the history and artists behind them. So far they've covered autotune, sampling, reverb, and synths.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Shageletic posted:

What service is this all on

3 Days is on HBO Max and Parallax View is on Prime.

I enjoyed Parallax View but the director definitely likes very long locked off shots. Also fun for the olden days of airport non-security.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
There's another movie kinda in the same vein: Capricorn One

Sam Waterston, Elliot Gould, OJ Simpson!, James Brolin.

Plot: US Government fakes a Mars landing/mission, and then to cover it up the government has to take out the astronauts involved.

It's on HBO Max.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
Oh yeah, I havent seen that one. Marathon Man is on demand on Cinemax right now.

Executive Action (1973) with Burt Lancaster is on daily motion, but it was too boring for me. Its a movie with dramatized scenes of a conspiracy against Kennedy.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3uhs0j

the trailer is pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycRe9oNWK1E

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Mark Ronson has a docuseries on Apple TV called Watch the Sound with Mark Ronson. I've watched the first 4 episodes, and it's fantastic. Each episode focuses on a specific trend in music, and the history and artists behind them. So far they've covered autotune, sampling, reverb, and synths.
That Lady Gaga netflix documentary made it seem like he is a very nice man in an industry full of awful snakes and abusers, so that's cool.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

veni veni veni posted:

Watched a couple episodes of Patriot. I'm definitely on board. I don't know if I fully understand the level of praise quite yet, but it's very good regardless and I am still early on so maybe I'll understand why people think it's a goat soon enough. It's a pretty hard show to categorize. It's sort of like...If Wes Anderson was less self indulgent, not twee and very violent? I dunno lol.

It took me like 4 eps to understand the vibe and then it switched over to being one my favorite shows in a long rear end time

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Man I love the art in Sleepwalkers opening credit sequence
https://youtu.be/gzrJXIspQlk

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Murray Bartlett is going to be in The Last of Us TV show, which I am very happy about.

Seeing Molly Shannon in TWL right after watching Enlightened is weird because the characters are so different lol. I think she is under utilized as a dramatic actress (in general. Not in these shows) though after watching them both.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 3, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Murray Bartlett is going to be in The Last of Us TV show, which I am very happy about.

Seeing Molly Shannon in TWL right after watching Enlightened is weird because the characters are so different lol. I think she is under utilized as a dramatic actress (in general. Not in these shows) though after watching them both.

Molly Shannon was pretty great on The Other Two as well, which has a second season dropping later this month on HBO.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

Enos Cabell posted:

Molly Shannon was pretty great on The Other Two as well, which has a second season dropping later this month on HBO.

She was also great in Other People, written and directed by one of the creators of The Other Two (and former SNL head writer), a semi-autobiographical movie about his relationship with his mother.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

#widercut

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1422557112903749632?s=19

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

Thanks, this is really good so far. Also the level of random people showing up to chat is absurd. “Sir Paul McCartney, what do you think about AutoTune?”

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1422945798799577088

Hell yes

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

without knowing anything the fans absolutely deserved that rear end whooping for one reason or anther

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

It's true. The problem was he grabbed the wrong person who didn't do anything, and then all hell broke loose.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I remember watching it on tv as a kid and if i close my eyes i can still see jermaine o'neal (who i was a fan of) sliding across the court with a loving world ender of a punch

albedoa
May 3, 2004

Wikipedia posted:

Tayshaun Prince was the only player on either team to not leave the bench during the entire incident

What a stoic king.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I remember watching it on tv as a kid and if i close my eyes i can still see jermaine o'neal (who i was a fan of) sliding across the court with a loving world ender of a punch

Seriously that was some anime poo poo

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Same here. It’s burned into my brain.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I have a problem with the Danny McBride shows like Vice Principals, in that the characters are unlikable and just continue to be irredeemable shitwads in a sad way.

I was kinda worried The White Lotus would be like that (I know he has nothing to do with it) but they're doing a good job adding levels to the characters that make them entertaining instead of just awful.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

White Lotus is great but that is the worst opinion about Vice Principals.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Enos Cabell posted:

The Other Two is great. Love Drew Tarver. Ken Marino is hilarious. Really....the entire cast is very good.

I'm now a fan of Jason Momoa. Even two 150 minute movies isn't enough to capture the entire novel. Dune would have worked so much better as a television show.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Wasn't there a sci fi miniseries?

e I can't remember who was in it, maybe I'm imagining it

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Inspector Hound posted:

Wasn't there a sci fi miniseries?

e I can't remember who was in it, maybe I'm imagining it

Yes. Sci-fi did a three part series, running about five hours back in 2000. Far better than the Lynch movie (imo). But it had a pretty strict budget as you might imagine. They followed it up with a Children of Dune miniseries in 2003, in which the first part was dedicated to Dune Messiah. An early role for James McAvoy. And they clearly had a larger budget for that one. But still limited.

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 6, 2021

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

White Lotus is great but that is the worst opinion about Vice Principals.

I love White Lotus, but Vice Principals is one of my all-time favorites. I appreciate when a show does not care at all about trying to make the characters likable or sympathetic in any way. The characters on The White Lotus aren't portrayed as complete psychos, but it does have a few that have zero positive qualities, like Shane and his mom, and they're absolutely nauseating but also extremely entertaining. Shane and Kitty doing their "money money money" chant was equal parts terrifying and hilarious. The White Lotus characters are much more realistically awful than anyone on a Danny McBride show, which makes it a lot more rage-inducing to watch.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

I love White Lotus, but Vice Principals is one of my all-time favorites. I appreciate when a show does not care at all about trying to make the characters likable or sympathetic in any way. The characters on The White Lotus aren't portrayed as complete psychos, but it does have a few that have zero positive qualities, like Shane and his mom, and they're absolutely nauseating but also extremely entertaining. Shane and Kitty doing their "money money money" chant was equal parts terrifying and hilarious. The White Lotus characters are much more realistically awful than anyone on a Danny McBride show, which makes it a lot more rage-inducing to watch.

EB&D was very good.....but Vice Principals was brilliant. The Righteous Gemstones has gotten off to a fantastic start too. Danny Mcbride just makes hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My only problem with Danny McBride shows is that there aren't enough of them. :frogc00l: