Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I wonder where Kevin love is go to end up on the dollar per minute played list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Would love to see the Mavs best free agency signings of the past 10+ years become better than Harrison Barnes/Monta Ellis.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Man that free agency plan collapsed faster then the Sixers ones usually do.

I know at this point we’ll move Tobias and somehow still have Ben at the start of the season….or I’m just trying to reverse psychology the whole thing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't understand why the Sixers are getting rid of Tobias Harris.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

What if the reason the Mavs always strike out in free agency is that they’re the only front office who still believes you can’t tamper

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Would love him at this price

https://twitter.com/nbcskings/status/1422279307179724815?s=21

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

What if the reason the Mavs always strike out in free agency is that they’re the only front office who still believes you can’t tamper

This would be both hilarious and annoying.

Rick posted:

Hopefully it is to send him to play with his best friend in Dallas in a THJr s&t.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Rick posted:

me neither, it makes zero sense; he's a perfect fit next to Embiid. I'll be pretty mad if they do actually trade him, especially if it's for Buddy Hield.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Vinestalk posted:

Doing Dirty Sirvy a solid is cool. Resigning Cory Joseph is whatever. But I don't want any Casey Era Raps. What would they bring other than plausible deniable tankability?

Other than being fill in pieces until they can draft someone to replace them so as to further the development of the youths, and being salary for trades, I don't know.

If they are re-signing all their guys plus bringing CoJo back I think most of that 22m is gone, so I have serious doubts about Normal Powell or Demar. They're going to make too much.

I think Nerlens is the most likely, or some other rim running 22 mpg big.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rick posted:

I assume it’s just the overall nature of his contract vs his playing abilities, because the latter would be a really weird reason, after how well he played last season.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I kind of believed this with Donnie, but there's no way Nico and Kidd aren't tampering.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
Can’t believe these free agents see Cuban holding blockchain seminars for the team and don’t want to be a part of it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

jackofarcades posted:

I kind of believed this with Donnie, but there's no way Nico and Kidd aren't tampering.

If Nico is tampering, all the rumors are true, and they really are on plan d or e, LOL.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wasn’t last week the “ok we are serious about this now” week?

quote:

Multiple league sources maintain that Philly’s asking price for Ben Simmons on the eve of free agency remains sky-high. At minimum, the Sixers are seeking control of at least four future first-round picks via direct trade or pick swaps, along with an All-Star-level player in most (but not all) scenarios.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/status/1422289953854091265
At least the Mavs will have somebody left after they strike out on everyone else.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

WhyteRyce posted:

Imagine making the PG trade but for a point guard who is afraid to shoot

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm just gonna keep telling myself it's because the Dame deal is already agreed to until it doesn't happen

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Spacebump posted:

If Nico is tampering, all the rumors are true, and they really are on plan d or e, LOL.

Obviously it's frustrating but "guy wants to re-sign with his team" and "guy wants to go to Lakers or Heat" is just the kind of poo poo every team that isn't the Lakers or Heat deals with

It also doesn't help that the Mavs are, uh, not that good of a team.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Rick posted:

A few local guys that are usually plugged in have put out articles today that said that rumor was not true. Also the first person to say anything about it I had never heard of and the other was Evan Massey who just makes things up all day.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

jackofarcades posted:

Obviously it's frustrating but "guy wants to re-sign with his team" and "guy wants to go to Lakers or Heat" is just the kind of poo poo every team that isn't the Lakers or Heat deals with

It also doesn't help that the Mavs are, uh, not that good of a team.

The Mavs would have beaten the Clippers if Maxi wasn't gimpy during the playoffs and made it to the WCF imo. Their win loss record with and without him last season was a big difference iirc. I think the Mavs last season were a good team but not a great team. They clearly have things they need to fix, especially defense.

edit: If KP could finally be healthy (lol) and regain his defensive ability, they'd surprise a lot of people. I just don't have faith in KP's health or Kidd's coaching.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 2, 2021

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Does LiAngelo just suck?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jota posted:

A few local guys that are usually plugged in have put out articles today that said that rumor was not true. Also the first person to say anything about it I had never heard of and the other was Evan Massey who just makes things up all day.

Well that is good to hear, like I get Tobi makes the most of the entire team, but he’s also good and…oh well only about 90 minutes till the fun starts.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1422255030053314562

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Fate Accomplice posted:

Does LiAngelo just suck?

Yeah. He was never an NBA prospect. Just a sort of run of the mill div 1 prospect because of his shooting, sort of a 6'5 stretch 4

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Fate Accomplice posted:

Does LiAngelo just suck?

Yes

He was always viewed as the worst of the 3 brothers and wouldn't have gotten his scholarship to UCLA except that he was part of the package deal for the good Ball brothers.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
DeRozan to the Knicks seems like the best thing for everyone.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1422292090826854411

hmmm

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I know they're currently pretending that Evan Mobley is a PF because he is apparently the first big in history to come into the league skinny, but this is a lot of resources to invest in center, especially two centers who currently only kind of shoot.

Fate Accomplice posted:

Does LiAngelo just suck?

He was like an okayish mid major prospect if he hadn't been related to two five stars. He's a not especially athletic 6'5" power forward who can kind of shoot. Imagine a significantly worse Georges Niang.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 2, 2021

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/MasonGinsberg/status/1422297088579280899?s=20

Like that slightly better than Lauri. Can Hart defend at all?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

DeRozan and Thibodeau doesn't seem like an immediately intuitive fit, even if DeRozan would help address the Knicks offence being mostly just "hope Randle keeps hitting contested 3s."

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/nbaontnt/status/1422293372623020039?s=21

Well so much for that idea. I mean could the Raptors just decided to sign and trade with another team, or because of the long history, it’s very unlikely.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The Bucks getting hit with tampering last year is a joke considering this offseason.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spacebump posted:

The Bucks getting hit with tampering last year is a joke considering this offseason.

I was just joking with a friend who is a heat fan about that. It is kind of funny though, because in the end I think Bucks came out alright.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Spacebump posted:

do you not see the carefully placed quotation marks?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

morestuff posted:

https://twitter.com/MasonGinsberg/status/1422297088579280899?s=20

Like that slightly better than Lauri. Can Hart defend at all?

Hart is skinny but he’s a good team defender

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Well so much for that idea. I mean could the Raptors just decided to sign and trade with another team, or because of the long history, it’s very unlikely.

Doesn't a sign and trade require Lowry to actually sign? The Raptors can refused to trade with Miami, but they can't just send him wherever they want.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hand Knit posted:

Doesn't a sign and trade require Lowry to actually sign? The Raptors can refused to trade with Miami, but they can't just send him wherever they want.

I would think so, it’s more can the Raptors just block Miami if they want, that I was wondering about. I don’t think it’s remotely likely, due to the history, but I am always a fan of knowing what potential weird outcomes in FA could happen.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
The tampering rules are about communicating with players. Teams talking between themselves without players or their agents being involved(lol) isn’t tampering right?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/hawksbeatmhb/status/1422294705434411009?s=21

Goddamn Harris and Blitzer…just let Morey do his thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

My prediction is Mavs lose Brunson and THJr. They get Dragic who plays maybe 50 games in the first half of the season, Fournier, and try to get Oubre but end up with Olynyk. This is probably too hopeful.