Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

The Grumbles posted:

I remember that whole shitshow well and the only extent to which they 'continuously took advantage' of her femininity was that she did a couple of talking head interviews because she was one of the key people involved in making the game, and was clearly good at talking to camera/press, which a lot of people in game development are not bc they're too awkward. it was literally just because she's a photogenic woman in games development who had the media training required to do public facing interviews that idiot gamers decided this was some kind of sexual gambit on the part of ubisoft.

there's a particular phenomena modern scholars talk about where there's extra pressure placed on visible minorities in the workplace to constantly be front and centre, as if they were an obscurity to be trotted out - if you happen to be the one girl in a programming company, for e.g., rather than being treated as a regular employee who does the required work, who may also volunteer for extra work based on their own taste for them, there's this extra pressure to be conspicuous that both burdens and alienates employees in a way that goes beyond discomfort and it can affect even high level employees; being conspicuous is alright but only if you're actually volunteering for it, otherwise it's a kind of exploitation arising from toxic workplace culture that we more easily recognize today

given the reputation for toxicity video game companies had/have, it's a conceivable possibility if we're trying to think this all the way through but, like i said, i don't think it's likely here, jade probably volunteered because she had people skills the others lacked, and there's no way gamers were upset about this anyway, they acted like ghouls because they felt like they were being patronized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Raymond was the producer. It's a pretty normal position to have be interviewed (eg Warren Spector was the producer for System Shock, Richard Garriott was the producer of Ultima Online)

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

hard counter posted:

there's a particular phenomena modern scholars talk about where there's extra pressure placed on visible minorities in the workplace to constantly be front and centre, as if they were an obscurity to be trotted out - if you happen to be the one girl in a programming company, for e.g., rather than being treated as a regular employee who does the required work, who may also volunteer for extra work based on their own taste for them, there's this extra pressure to be conspicuous that both burdens and alienates employees in a way that goes beyond discomfort and it can affect even high level employees; being conspicuous is alright but only if you're actually volunteering for it, otherwise it's a kind of exploitation arising from toxic workplace culture that we more easily recognize today

given the reputation for toxicity video game companies had/have, it's a conceivable possibility if we're trying to think this all the way through but, like i said, i don't think it's likely here, jade probably volunteered because she had people skills the others lacked, and there's no way gamers were upset about this anyway, they acted like ghouls because they felt like they were being patronized

The motive is the least relevant thing in all of this.

EDIT: The whole "this was bound to happen if they put a woman in such a role" vibe I get from this and previous post just rubs me the wrong way.

Vic fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 2, 2021

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Vic posted:

EDIT: The whole "this was bound to happen if they put a woman in such a role" vibe I get from this and previous post just rubs me the wrong way.

yeah that's definitely not what i'm aiming for, my bad, i think trying to avoid too much formal jargon made it too roundabout and unclear

this thread's for pictures anyway

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to feel about this.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

hard counter posted:

She wasn't a regular employee, she was a producer in a senior role, it was literally her project, it's absolutely the right thing to do in an industry dominated by toxic masculinity for a woman leading a game project to be taking public ownership of that project. She was a female producer leading a big mainstream video game title and this should have been a cause for celebration. Gamers acted like ghouls for the obvious reason that a conventionally attractive woman was invading the boys' club.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I never played the king's quest games but I assume they are in the same vein as the Space Quest games also by Sierra? I actually love those games. Not sure why I never gave king's a try.

Content :nws: :nws:

Whatever it takes to get people to eat their veg

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Smik posted:

I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to feel about this.

that appears to be an Ocean State Job Lot sign so you should feel vaguely soiled by even looking at it

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Raymond was the producer. It's a pretty normal position to have be interviewed (eg Warren Spector was the producer for System Shock, Richard Garriott was the producer of Ultima Online)

It's not normal since those two dudes had classics they had actually worked on under their belt. Ubisoft decided to whore her out since they are a poo poo company. She had no games to her name but here she is because she's hot.
Like good for her if she didn't mind that part of the job but gently caress Ubisoft and their scummy ways.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

How things have changed?

]

A palette cleanser

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

:doh: how did I miss that?!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Lodin posted:

It's not normal since those two dudes had classics they had actually worked on under their belt. Ubisoft decided to whore her out since they are a poo poo company. She had no games to her name but here she is because she's hot.
Like good for her if she didn't mind that part of the job but gently caress Ubisoft and their scummy ways.

Excellent use of the word "whoring" to undermine whatever point you were making with this hot take. 👍

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I both love and hate this thread at the same time

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

The late '00s/early '10s where a dark time for the Sonic franchise.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

low key sex master posted:

Whatever it takes to get people to eat their veg

It's spelt with an a

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

laserghost fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 2, 2021

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sombrerotron posted:

The late '00s/early '10s where a dark time for the Sonic franchise.

Bye. :byewhore:

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

:nws: ? https://randomwaffle.gbs.fm/images/f5/f5d434c8eeb44b8158064cfeb6c85a759010f2eb.jpe :nws: ?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Theophany posted:

Excellent use of the word "whoring" to undermine whatever point you were making with this hot take. 👍

For fucks sake, I'm not calling her that word, that's what the company was doing with her.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Lodin posted:

For fucks sake, I'm not calling her that word, that's what the company was doing with her.

Lol you used that word to describe what they did with her

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Hell yeah, bushman. For those who don't know, bushman was a self-described "coonass" living somewhere in the deep south who hunted feral pigs with nothing but a spear. He spent a night running around barefoot in the rice paddies and ended up killing about a dozen pigs. Then he used their carcasses to spell the word OINK!

good times

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Hoping someone in GiP had a MCCARTHY CURES OBAMA username in 2009

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Whatever happened to Bushman? The boar spearing thread was the first and last time I remember seeing him.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Dip Viscous posted:

Whatever happened to Bushman? The boar spearing thread was the first and last time I remember seeing him.

Posts a few times on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cybrown

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

drat, still killing the poo poo out of those hogs.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
Lol found the dweeb who's still mad about a woman making a successful video game and giving interviews 10+ years after the fact

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I know in my heart that they used Aunt Jemima syrup for... whatever this is.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

People put some serious effort into making fun of Ctrl Alt Del and I'm glad it's not all lost.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Lodin posted:

This conversation isn't about rape in video games per se but I'm still going to tell you to go gently caress yourself.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Weirdest backpedaling I've ever seen.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005