Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

:siren:NO SPOILERS.:siren:
:siren:THIS GAME IS SUPER GORY, DON'T WATCH IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE TO THAT.:siren:

Capcom's Resident Evil franchise has had a weird progression. The series began life as a campy pastiche of cheesy B-movies that also more or less put the survival horror genre on the map in 1996 and would gradually incorporate more and more over the top action into its gameplay, eventually becoming more of an action shooter that uses monsters as set dressing, rather than having them be an opressive and terrifying force. The focus on action over horror wasn't to the series' detriment, as the games still sold phenomenally well, but it was a tad alienating to the fans who had come for the survival horror elements to see that said gameplay style was no longer the main focus. After the release of RE6 in 2012, Capcom thought long and hard about where to go with its next title. Taking inspiration from 1981's The Evil Dead, Capcom made the decision to scale back the setting of the seventh main entry into the RE franchise and return the series back to its survival horror roots. To accentuate this direction, the game was made a first-person adventure and was built using Capcom's brand new RE Engine, developed specifically for this game. The RE engine is the successor to Capcom's previous MT Framework engine, and allows for stronger and more photorealistic graphics, and even supports virtual reality!

Set and released in 2017, RE7 follows Ethan Winters, who is drawn to a derelict plantation in Dulvey, Louisiana after receiving a message from his wife, Mia, who was thought missing since 2014. After finding and freeing her, she attempts to lead the two of them out of the estate, before suddenly becoming violent and attacking Ethan. After defending himself and fleeing from Mia, Ethan is suddenly accosted by Jack Baker, the patriarch of the Baker family, and finds himself entangled in the family's machinations and has to do whatever he can to escape with his life.

This will be an informative LP where I show off Ethan's trek through the Baker estate with as much content as I can manage. I'm joined by my friends liquidypoo and CJacobs, who both helped me flesh out the RE2 Remake LP we did a few years ago. This LP should hopefully be updated twice a week, but no promises. I said it at the top of the OP, but I'll say it again, :siren:No spoilers:siren:! In addition, this game is suuuuuuuuuper gory and grisly thanks to Capcom's new RE Engine and its super photorealistic style, so if that stuff bothers you at all, it might be best not to watch the videos, maybe just put them on in the background and listen in.

Main Campaign

DLC

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Fan Stuff

azren has figured out the source of Redfield's power.

stryth loves the Power Glove. It's so bad good.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 27, 2022

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Reserved

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Don't worry pal, I'm you're right hand man.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Thankfully, your left hand does not come off.

Wait, shi-

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 2, 2021

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Imagine going straight from RE6 to this, it feels like Capcom from an alternate reality made this game and I simply love it and will always love it.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Judge Tesla posted:

Imagine going straight from RE6 to this, it feels like Capcom from an alternate reality made this game and I simply love it and will always love it.

Their willingness to course correct without rebooting the entire franchise is rather impressive.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Killing off the protagonist this early is a bold move.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

White Coke posted:

Their willingness to course correct without rebooting the entire franchise is rather impressive.

That’s part of what I love about the Resident Evil franchise: no matter how many changes in genre or tone or perspective, everything is canon. Even the stuff that contradicts itself.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

theenglishman posted:

...No matter how many changes in genre or tone or perspective, everything Except anything touched by Paul W. S. Anderson is canon.

Had to fix that for you.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Ethan's pretty handy with that gun.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

theenglishman posted:

That’s part of what I love about the Resident Evil franchise: no matter how many changes in genre or tone or perspective, everything is canon. Even the stuff that contradicts itself.

Albert Wesker strikes me as a God Learner.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Sel Nar posted:

Had to fix that for you.

I dunno, the laser hallway from RE4 was a pretty explicit reference to the first movie, which came out three years earlier.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

Its kind of incredible that RE7 turned out as good as it did. A few weeks ago I picked up the RE7 Document File book and it goes into detail about the development process and how the project lead was given the task of breathing new life into the series after RE6 sold gangbusters with mixed reception and Takeuchi decided to go ham on the game because he just decided he wanted to make the best possible Resident Evil that he could! Add on top of this the next gen hardware and its needs for a brand new proprietary engine and the fact that upper management wanted game development to be even faster while also yielding richer and higher quality assets, and you have the makings of a disaster just waiting to happen, but everything just came together so perfectly so that this game just sailed right through development pretty smoothly. Some choice quotes from the book:

quote:

RE7 went in a considerably different direction and had a very distinct concept from the previous gamer. It was also the first time Production Studio 1 developed a Triple-A game for next-generation hardware. That's a new concept, new hardware, a new engine, and a new team. It's said that most projects where more than one of these things is new don't end well. But the RE7 development team pulled it off.

quote:

As a side note, from the perspective of a writer of a report like this, you do hope, albeit not maliciously, that there are peaks and valleys in the development process. So, at times when you would expect problems to arise, such as just prior to the completion of the beta, I asked about the game progress. But in response, Kawata [the producer] told me the following more than a couple of times.

"Sorry, development's proceeding smoother than expected.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I was so drat impressed with this game. It's loving gorgeous! I mean, it's absolutely disgusting, but it's gorgeous. The RE Engine might be the best graphics in terms of realism that I've seen in a game.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

White Coke posted:

I think it's a direct result of everything Capcom made from after RE5 up to RE7 being a huge mixed bag, leaning towards being bad. Bionic Commando '09, RE6 and DmC were the big letdowns that made Capcom stop and do some hard reflection on themselves, instead of what some companies do and double-down on bad ideas or get hyper-defensive of bad ideas. And while it took the fighting game division a while to catch up to the rest of the company, Capcom as a whole seems to have mostly learned from their mistakes in the early/mid-2010s. And probably the biggest achievement from that self-reflection is the RE Engine being a massive success for the company, giving Capcom a new in-house dev tool to replace their now retired MT Framework engine and be an alternative option to Unreal 4. Seriously, I'm hoping RE Engine can be made available to other companies (or for Capcom to use it on other franchises), because the things it can do are simply amazing.

theenglishman posted:

I could have sworn the old S.D. Perry novels are non-canon.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Judge Tesla posted:

You know, what DID happen with RE5 and RE6? Everyone largely talks about RE1 through 3 as the good old days, RE4 as the cool new thing they did, then RE5 and 6... no one ever seems to bring up, and it's just a jump straight to RE7 and 8 that get a decent amount of chatter.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

You know, what DID happen with RE5 and RE6? Everyone largely talks about RE1 through 3 as the good old days, RE4 as the cool new thing they did, then RE5 and 6... no one ever seems to bring up, and it's just a jump straight to RE7 and 8 that get a decent amount of chatter.

I always got the impression that RE5 and 6 were Capcom trying to figure out what made 4 so magical and chasing that trend. Both games sold absurdly well from what I can tell so the fact that they went back to the drawing board for 7 really surprises me, even with the stuff the RE7 Document book has to say on the path they took to get to 7.

And here’s a Wha Happun? video on RE6 that goes into that game’s development.

https://youtu.be/x_uV6vCrBNY

azren
Feb 14, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

Seriously, I'm hoping RE Engine can be made available to other companies (or for Capcom to use it on other franchises), because the things it can do are simply amazing.

While I mostly agree with this, I want them to be careful with what franchises they use it for. It'd be pretty weird for Street Fighter, and downright disastrous for Megaman. I love how it's used in DMC 5, though.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

RE6 would have been a fantastic action game with some better level design, and if it actually bothered to tell you how to play it and how the combat works. There are so many useful moves that the loading screen tutorials never bother telling you exist.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's the thing, RE6 is just amazing to watch; it's the biggest, silliest, most B-movie-like action story they ever did. The problem is actually playing the thing.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

That's the thing, RE6 is just amazing to watch; it's the biggest, silliest, most B-movie-like action story they ever did. The problem is actually playing the thing.

Oh yeah. I highly recommend Lunethex’ LP from a few years ago, it really shows off RE6 at its best.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

RE6 pros: you can make beloved RE characters scoot around on their butts like they're dogs with worm problems

RE6 cons: that sounds hilarious but how do I do that

It's not too bad; a lot of the silly tricks you can do involve some combination of the sprint button, aiming your gun, and moving in any direction. It's just overcomplicated because they wanted you to be able to do these tricks without having to hold your gun up, so a lot of actions have multiple ways to execute them

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

azren posted:

While I mostly agree with this, I want them to be careful with what franchises they use it for. It'd be pretty weird for Street Fighter, and downright disastrous for Megaman. I love how it's used in DMC 5, though.

If RGG Studios can use the Dragon Engine to make a port of Virtua Fighter 5, I don't see why Capcom couldn't repurpose the RE Engine to do a fighting game, its all about using the engine smartly and not taking the art design right out of a RE game for Street Fighter or Mega Man.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

azren posted:

Monster Hunter Rise uses it on the Switch and performance wise it puts even Nintendo's own games to shame, its flawless.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
So why did Capcom make a new engine, and why hasn’t it been used by all the games the company makes now?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

White Coke posted:

So why did Capcom make a new engine, and why hasn’t it been used by all the games the company makes now?

I think theyre working on it. Its been mentioned upthread but MH:Rise and the upcoming pragmata is on the RE Engine.
Its like hte MT framework, eventually as they make lightweight versions of the engine it will filter down to other games.

But I wonder what kind of dark magics capcom's done to be so good at making efficient engines.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

White Coke posted:

Oh they covered this in the RE7 Document book too! The MT Framework was showing its age on next-gen tech and it just wasn't fit for task anymore so they went ahead and greenlit the RE Engine for this project. It was initially meant specifically for RE7, but over the past few years, they've iterated on it to the point where its more or less a successor to MT Framework. Aside from the RE games, Capcom's also used it for DMCV, Monster Hunter Rise, and Ghosts and Goblins Resurrection. The bottom line, as noted by Inside Report IX, is that this engine streamlined development for staff other than the programmers and graphical performance, and the fact that this was possible without sacrificing either is a miracle in the way of game development.

Edit: Hey look that book's on sale! Obviously it has some minor spoilers for stuff later in the game but its a fascinating look into the development history for this game.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1423006322996428806

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 4, 2021

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Didn’t Capcom reveal what Ethan looks like when they released RE:VIII?

rbakervv
Apr 1, 2008

For the Emperor!!

White Coke posted:

Nope, even his model is faceless in the model viewer, and in the occasional third-person cutscene, the camera goes to great lengths to never show his face.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

White Coke posted:

They gave him a full model in the character viewer in RE8, but the face was obscured by a shadow effect. Someone modded the PC version to take away the effect on his face so you could see it unobscured. But no, Capcom itself has never officially revealed what Ethan looks like.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 4, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There is one moment where Ethan is shown from the front in third person (he's just recalling something that happened earlier in the same spot is all) and if you sprint up to uh yourself you can get a quick look at his face, but it's not intended. I actually legit think you should not look up what he looks like even if you're curious, Ethan being faceless is a huge part of his character's core theme. The whole thing about Ethan just being a pair of hands that take damage was actually for-real Capcom's design philosophy when deciding what input he should be allowed have on the player's actions, I'm so psyched to talk about it lol

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Aug 5, 2021

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This game has one of the best DLCs ever released

azren
Feb 14, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

If RGG Studios can use the Dragon Engine to make a port of Virtua Fighter 5, I don't see why Capcom couldn't repurpose the RE Engine to do a fighting game, its all about using the engine smartly and not taking the art design right out of a RE game for Street Fighter or Mega Man.

I hadn't thought about it in those terms, even though it's absolutely reasonable. I was just imagining near-photorealistic Mega Man and Street Fighter, and it was making me wince.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Oh hello yeah, I've only seen the Men Drinking Coffee LP of this, so I'm glad there's going to be a... slightly more informative run of the game.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Spoilers for Video 2: Rest in peace, Officer Deputy. You died as you lived: ignorant of obvious criminal activity.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I do love how Office Deputy is responding to "Multiple Reports of Missing Persons" in the middle of the goddamn night. I doubt he was going door to door, canvassing the neighborhood, looking for those three urbex people, and it took him this long to get to the old creepy Baker house.

Speaking of, I don't know if it's spoilers to talk about the hour long demo/the first video cassette playthrough, but a question - During that sequence, is it ever possible to scoot past the third guy before he sneaks off on his own, or is that kind of on the rails? I mean near the start, you open the pot of "food", the host is being a shitheel, and third guy wanders off, and as we see, dies. Presumably he goes off to the living room, pulls the chain in the fireplace, finds the secret tunnel goes down the ladder, and then gets impaled on the spike by Jack. Can you follow him instead of waiting on host guy?

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
Insert joke about the only black cop in Louisiana here.

Amusingly I saw all of RE8 before knowing anything about this game thanks to your pal and mine CJacobs. Looking forward to getting yet another perspective on what really seems to be a phenomenally well-made horror title (especially because I am a huge wuss who cannot play horror games).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

That is possibly the stupidest cop in a video game. The callout in the video is obvious, but not realizing that you aren't the one closing the garage door, when you have both hands in front of you is at least as big a fuckup.