Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

So yeah, if the size of the wheel that moves the filament changed then it will be sending a different amount of plastic down the tube. I replaced the extruders on both my ender 3 and sunlu s8 with totally different ones (knock off versions bondtech and e3d) so they have drastically different profiles (they both had to turn the other direction and go much faster since they're geared). Just changing the gear in the same orientation will be less extreme but will change the flow rate if it's not exactly the same size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Roll Fizzlebeef posted:

I made an ikea lack enclosure for my printer using the prusa design. It was fun to build but also the most expensive and time consuming thing I have ever made out of cardboard. I probably should have just bought a real enclosure but I think this will work fine.

Huh, I've been thinking about making an enclosure and was looking at the Lack designs. Do you have any suggestions for "real enclosures" that you mentioned? I did not know that was a thing. I also have a prusa mk3.

My priorities are somewhat odd. Using the enclosure to print ABS or other things that need an enclosure are secondary. I mostly want something to keep the dust off my printer, add a filament drybox on it, and for storing all the little tools and trinkets so it's easier to move everything when I have to change apartments. Not sure if any of the junk I just mentioned is important for picking out an enclosure.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Deviant posted:

what do yall print to use up the last bits of rolls?

I print funnels in vase mode. Disposable if needed, for example after pouring/moving resin or resin-contaminated IPA.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Roll Fizzlebeef posted:

I made an ikea lack enclosure for my printer using the prusa design. It was fun to build but also the most expensive and time consuming thing I have ever made out of cardboard. I probably should have just bought a real enclosure but I think this will work fine.

It's a nice design but yes, it's actually pretty expensive by the end in its own way. But compared to other options it's pretty compelling. Enclosures in general are just kind of expensive things unless you just use a photo tent or one of those soft grow op enclosure things and call it done.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

The Eyes Have It posted:

It's a nice design but yes, it's actually pretty expensive by the end in its own way. But compared to other options it's pretty compelling. Enclosures in general are just kind of expensive things unless you just use a photo tent or one of those soft grow op enclosure things and call it done.

I'm doing mine out of coroplast. I expect to have it for less than $40.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Haha, same. (Not the Prusa design, but my own. I had a feeling I wasn't the only one to see that stuff and get ideas.)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

The Eyes Have It posted:

Haha, same. (Not the Prusa design, but my own. I had a feeling I wasn't the only one to see that stuff and get ideas.)

I'm looking for good plastic rivets at the moment, but I"m also considering printing fasteners. Because... why not?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I've used these for various things (like cardboard) in the past and was happy with them. You can push & lock them then snip off the excess.

Best for light duty due to print orientation, etc, but I printed a shitload once and they are ridic handy for niche applications.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:311086

Best printed in something with a little "give" -- I used some Polymaker Polymax which prints like PLA but has some give and never tried anything else. I suspect PETG would be stringy as hell but :shrug:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

The Eyes Have It posted:

I've used these for various things (like cardboard) in the past and was happy with them. You can push & lock them then snip off the excess.

Best for light duty due to print orientation, etc, but I printed a shitload once and they are ridic handy for niche applications.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:311086

Best printed in something with a little "give" -- I used some Polymaker Polymax which prints like PLA but has some give and never tried anything else. I suspect PETG would be stringy as hell but :shrug:

WELL... Looks like we have a thing to print today. Hah. Thank you, that's perfect.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Huh, I've been thinking about making an enclosure and was looking at the Lack designs. Do you have any suggestions for "real enclosures" that you mentioned? I did not know that was a thing. I also have a prusa mk3.

My priorities are somewhat odd. Using the enclosure to print ABS or other things that need an enclosure are secondary. I mostly want something to keep the dust off my printer, add a filament drybox on it, and for storing all the little tools and trinkets so it's easier to move everything when I have to change apartments. Not sure if any of the junk I just mentioned is important for picking out an enclosure.

I don’t know if this particular one is good or not, but something like this maybe: https://www.printedsolid.com/collections/next-generation-enclosures/products/next-gen-safety-enclosure-for-prusa-style-printers

The lack enclosure is pretty nice and it was fun to build like I said before. I like the hinged top a lot. However, it took almost two spools of PETG and multiple days to print all the parts. Filament combined with hardware and acrylic makes it fairly expensive.

The main drawback is how flimsy the ikea tables are. I found a stl file for leg braces that make the whole thing more sturdy. The screw holes were too small for the extra screws I have from building the enclosure so I figured out how to open the stl in Solidworks and take measurements so I could recreate the part. I am happier now that it has sturdier legs.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Roll Fizzlebeef posted:

I don’t know if this particular one is good or not, but something like this maybe: https://www.printedsolid.com/collections/next-generation-enclosures/products/next-gen-safety-enclosure-for-prusa-style-printers

The lack enclosure is pretty nice and it was fun to build like I said before. I like the hinged top a lot. However, it took almost two spools of PETG and multiple days to print all the parts. Filament combined with hardware and acrylic makes it fairly expensive.

The main drawback is how flimsy the ikea tables are. I found a stl file for leg braces that make the whole thing more sturdy. The screw holes were too small for the extra screws I have from building the enclosure so I figured out how to open the stl in Solidworks and take measurements so I could recreate the part. I am happier now that it has sturdier legs.

Ah ok. You make the lack enclosure still sound enticing. Do you need to keep the doors open when printing PLA and/or PETG? I think I heard that bridging might suffer otherwise but I'm not sure if that's true.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
So I've changed the extruder gear back to the stock one, made sure the ptfe tube is seated correctly and is clear, and changed the nozzle again and it still seems to be doing the same thing. Ive got no clue what the issue might be at this point

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
anyone running octoprint with the mqtt plugin?

what i want to do is put M03 and M05 in my start and end code respectively have have it publish mqtt messages.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

asterioth posted:

So I've changed the extruder gear back to the stock one, made sure the ptfe tube is seated correctly and is clear, and changed the nozzle again and it still seems to be doing the same thing. Ive got no clue what the issue might be at this point

Did you calibrate the E axis? You don't absolutely need a caliper - a ruler with mm marks should be close enough for now. or mark it on a strip of paper and measure those marks.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

after drying that offending roll of Jessie PLA at 50C for 6 hours, i was able to make this:

So I guess the SunLu Filadryer S1 is A+ would recommend.

Also Printed Solid finally offered a refund or a replacement, which I told them not to worry about.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

It's one of those things that anyone using FDM should plan on doing, because you will get a roll that does that to you eventually. You may want to think about making that ikea-based drybox project to store multiple rolls at a time, but it's up to you.

I had horrible problems with a roll of PETG and then the heat dome dried it out :v: prints are usable now

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I keep all my non-in-use rolls in gallon bags with dessicant, which has been fine.

This roll was definitely moist directly from the mfgr, though.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Did you calibrate the E axis? You don't absolutely need a caliper - a ruler with mm marks should be close enough for now. or mark it on a strip of paper and measure those marks.

Im going to do that next, not sure why it would be off after returning to the stock gear since it didnt have any problems printing with that originally.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Ah ok. You make the lack enclosure still sound enticing. Do you need to keep the doors open when printing PLA and/or PETG? I think I heard that bridging might suffer otherwise but I'm not sure if that's true.

The instructions recommend leaving the doors ajar for PLA. It doesn’t say anything about PETG.

This chart says no enclosure for PETG but it might work anyway. https://help.prusa3d.com/en/materials. I am moving the power supply outside the enclosure today. I can print some stuff with PETG after that with the doors closed and see what happens.

The lid can be propped open with the included lever which is another cooling option.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Deviant posted:

I keep all my non-in-use rolls in gallon bags with dessicant, which has been fine.

This roll was definitely moist directly from the mfgr, though.

I mean if anything it's probably somethi g they'd be happy to know about

Probably helps them find holes in there process where moisture got introduced in the warehouse or whatever

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

asterioth posted:

Im going to do that next, not sure why it would be off after returning to the stock gear since it didnt have any problems printing with that originally.

Hard to say. Did you check to ensure you didn’t set the extrusion to volumetric? I’ve done that before. Its also possible that it’s always been a little off an messing with it pushed it over the edge. Don’t worry, you’ll get it.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

New Vulcan resin report:

I got my sample of the new Vulcan resin from Atlas recently. I knew it needed a bit longer cure times from early reports so I started at 3 second exposure for 30 micron layer heights and kept upping the exposure by .2 until I got a working print. I use really thin supports and Vulcan doesn't seem to do so well with them at all. I finally started getting full prints at 3.8 and after a small failure I'm now at 3.9 sec exposure and error free so far. The colour is really nice for minis and the detail level is definitely fantastic.

From other reports it sounds like I have way higher exposure times than normal but I don't see an impact on the print and I'm getting none of the usual signs of overexposure.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Are they touting better print quality as a selling point or something?

How's the flexibility? Does the mini survive a fall from table height?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

Are they touting better print quality as a selling point or something?

How's the flexibility? Does the mini survive a fall from table height?

The main benefits to me is that it's made in the US so hopefully consistent supply is possible, it doesn't come in a bottle, and it'll be cheaper than most other resin brands. It's not an abs-like resin and still fairly brittle, but the detail level is really really good in what I've printed so far.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Yeah the north american supply chain thing is huge. worst case with brittleness will be adding a little bit of flexible resin which is what I'm doing with everything else anyways

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

w00tmonger posted:

Yeah the north american supply chain thing is huge. worst case with brittleness will be adding a little bit of flexible resin which is what I'm doing with everything else anyways

When you guys mix in flexible resin, what ratio do you use?
I got a bottle fo Tenacious but I haven't cracked it open yet.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

When you guys mix in flexible resin, what ratio do you use?
I got a bottle fo Tenacious but I haven't cracked it open yet.

I use 10%, 10-20 seems to be the norm

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Hard to say. Did you check to ensure you didn’t set the extrusion to volumetric? I’ve done that before. Its also possible that it’s always been a little off an messing with it pushed it over the edge. Don’t worry, you’ll get it.

Yeah thats still set to off, after trying the formula for figuring out the esteps and it going from being like 96mm extruded to 102 extruded, after manually messing with it I got it to 100mm extruded at 100mm set. Now im starting a print to see if this poo poo still pops up or if this solved it

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

Nope, seems to sill be doing the same thing

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

asterioth posted:

Nope, seems to sill be doing the same thing

I had this problem before, once it was a slight bend in the bowden tube which hindered filament passing. Disengage the extruder gear, push and pull some filament through. Use filament that has the gear marks from the extruder already! Try to turn the filament and push/pull again. It should be very easy to push through. If not, try another tube.
Another time my ptfe tube was a bit "swollen" from to high temperatures at the hot end. New tube fixed that.
If the printing errors are always at exactly the same place, you may have accumulated dust/dirt on your axis or roller wheels.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

RabbitWizard posted:

I had this problem before, once it was a slight bend in the bowden tube which hindered filament passing. Disengage the extruder gear, push and pull some filament through. Use filament that has the gear marks from the extruder already! Try to turn the filament and push/pull again. It should be very easy to push through. If not, try another tube.
Another time my ptfe tube was a bit "swollen" from to high temperatures at the hot end. New tube fixed that.
If the printing errors are always at exactly the same place, you may have accumulated dust/dirt on your axis or roller wheels.

swapped the tube out when i reseated it in the hotend, didn't seem to change anything. looking at the wheels closely it looks like the one on the right side of the x carriage that has the eccentric nut is looking really damaged, I think that might be the problem after all. Going to order some wheels and see if that solves it.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Another great material for making an enclosure if you have a Dollar Tree store nearby is "Dollar Tree Foam Board" made by Redi-board. It is foam with paper on both sides, 20"x30" and costs a dollar a sheet. The foam gives it excellent insulation properties, and it is super easy to cut and work with. My printer I made a little stick frame out of a couple dowels and some 3D printed corners to join them, and the enclosure sits on that. However, a double layer of the foamboard would be ~9mm thick and pretty rigid on its own for a Prusa-sized printer (mine is a giant C-Bot). Instead of a door I just have a piece of lexan that goes into a lip/flap to cover the front and I just lift it off and away when I need to. I find that gets in the way a lot less than a swinging always-attached door. The lexan is the expensive part but the box can be built for under $10 I'd imagine.

I also coated the inside with "space blankets" (mylar reflective sheet) but it was a lot of work and didn't add any insulation when I measured from the outside with a FLIR camera versus one panel I didn't coat. It did improve the lighting situation a bit though with all the reflection. I've since upgraded to a single Bridgelux EB commercial strip LED for the lighting and I'd never go back to the crappy "12V LED strip" you get 5m for $10 on eBay. Those always burn out from being in the heat (and being overdriven) and have awful color comparatively.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

w00tmonger posted:

I use 10%, 10-20 seems to be the norm

I eyeball it, but yeah, 10-20% seems right.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

w00tmonger posted:

I mean if anything it's probably somethi g they'd be happy to know about

Probably helps them find holes in there process where moisture got introduced in the warehouse or whatever

The moisture in the roll was probably from the water bath used to cool the extruded plastic. Desiccant and vacuum bags are theater, dry your poo poo if it needs it.

this post brought to you by ultem. gently caress ultem.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Having some kind of dehumidifier setup for filament spools should probably be an expected cost like the gloves and wash station for resin printing.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I am at my wit's loving end with this printer.

This roll came out of its bag within 5 minutes of this print.

i have tried a higher nozzle. i have tried a lower nozzle. i have run first layer calibration more times than i care to think about.

i have washed it.

the filament is in a heated drybox.

i am using default prusaslicer settings.

i do not understand the loving problem. the layers stick fine. it is JUST the support material that does this poo poo.

i'm starting to think that i, or the printer have a screw loose. possibly both.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 3, 2021

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

w00tmonger posted:

How do you mix your resins and not make a gigantic mess?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So I dropped and mostly mixed a few thousand M3 screws. Although I have sorted them by hand already, I was inspired to build a sorting mechanismn and two days later I have just finished it. I am amazed by how well it works. I could even easily motorize it.
Gotta love how 3D printing allows us to easily create this sorta solution to this type of problem.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Deviant posted:

I am at my wit's loving end with this printer.

This roll came out of its bag within 5 minutes of this print.

i have tried a higher nozzle. i have tried a lower nozzle. i have run first layer calibration more times than i care to think about.

i have washed it.

the filament is in a heated drybox.

i am using default prusaslicer settings.

i do not understand the loving problem. the layers stick fine. it is JUST the support material that does this poo poo.

i'm starting to think that i, or the printer have a screw loose. possibly both.

Put some purple glue stick on the bed.

Don't read until you have tried it with glue:

it looks like your nozzle is too close to the bed, and that causes peeling when printing with PETG which I think this is, right? PETG is a very sticky filament so if the nozzle is dragging through it it tends to pull it up. raise your first layer offset about 0.15 to 0.2 above what you would use for PLA.

But just use the glue and get a working print rather than tearing out your hair once again. I glue the bed anytime I'm slightly worried about adhesion, idgaf

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Put some purple glue stick on the bed.

i am unclear on why i should have to do that on a prusa PEI bed. My understanding is that the PEI is supposed to make that unnecessary. In addition to the fact that it's going to make a huge mess.

Edit: it's PLA.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 3, 2021