Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Raluek posted:

the "creative commons license" guy

that was Logansryche (the bitcoin cinema guy), this guy just though everything on the internet was free for him to use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lol. read it every time

Money (non-digital paper variety) is arguably one of the worst-aged points

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sweevo posted:

that was Logansryche (the bitcoin cinema guy), this guy just though everything on the internet was free for him to use

yeah this guy is funny tech poo poo i just remembered, thanks to this thread

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

not from this distance, your honor

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the intel floating point bug

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Progressive JPEG posted:

handheld document scanners, where if you wanted to scan a page you had to do multiple swipes perfectly? never tried one but remember seeing them in catalogs

must not have worked very well because i can't find any pictures of one. supposed to be like the shape of a barcode scanner

nice incredibly shameful admission that you don’t sub to cathode Ray dude

https://youtu.be/SDdfs0XW1kM

sub to cathode Ray dude

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

seti@home

just staring at this screen, waiting for alien buddies to show up:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

seti@home

LCARS-styled interfaces in general really

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

LCARS-styled interfaces in general really

woah - neo

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

seti@home

hello old friend

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Pile Of Garbage posted:

hello old friend

i was a bit saddened to read that the project was shut down last year while i was looking for that screenshot.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
alternate window managers for windows, like enlightenment

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

people adding docks to windows and then moving the start bar to the top

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

the matrix screensaver

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

closing every window to burn a cd at 2x on your 52x cd drive

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

gold plated usb cables

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gold plated TOSLINK cables.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

doesn't need to be remembered as it is a very current thing right there on amazon

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

KozmoNaut posted:

idk know why it reminds me but I find it bizarre that some Bluetooth audio connections treat the source volume and amp volume as separate so you can change the volume independently in two places even though the actually signal amplitude is irrelevant

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Wild EEPROM posted:

tiger direct and the 100 pack of cdrs that required this to not error >50% of the time

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

those discs are almost 20 years old and have a better functional timeline than the memorex ones i bought at the same time lol

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

idk know why it reminds me but I find it bizarre that some Bluetooth audio connections treat the source volume and amp volume as separate so you can change the volume independently in two places even though the actually signal amplitude is irrelevant

My BT loudspeaker does that, the volume on the speaker is completely separate from the volume control on the phone.

99% of the time, I just set the speaker to full volume and control the volume on my phone, but it is silly.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Agile Vector posted:

tiger direct and the 100 pack of cdrs that required this to not error >50% of the time

The Tiger Direct catalog

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

cds shaped in ways that would make tons of noise and it or explode when you put them in a drive

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

shoeberto posted:

The Tiger Direct catalog

Computer Shopper magazine

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

not rrrrreally though? you have a fixed bitrate with these codecs, if you're sending something at -40db off peak through a codec with like 16 bits of depth you're basically using 2/3 of the bandwidth to send straight binary zeroes

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

yeah ideally you want to keep the source volume at max and change it on the speaker so it's not mostly noise floor either

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

In real life, it's a drat Bluetooth speaker with questionable sound quality anyway.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

Wild EEPROM posted:

alternate window managers for windows, like enlightenment

brushed metal ui

greg the peanut
Dec 24, 2000

Those dongles that were supposed to go between the jack and your landline handset if you had DSL

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

greg the peanut posted:

Those dongles that were supposed to go between the jack and your landline handset if you had DSL

Some kind of wack rear end filter I think. When I first got DSL I thought they were blocking the hosed up tone you'd hear if you picked up the phone when you were dialed in with like a 56k modem.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah they were lowpass filters that isolated the random spray of telephone handsets from draining/loving up the dsl signal which was closer to low shortwave

Pro setup was to do it at the demarc and run a dedicated DSL line then use a single filter for the actual house's wiring

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

nice incredibly shameful admission that you don’t sub to cathode Ray dude

https://youtu.be/SDdfs0XW1kM

sub to cathode Ray dude

I saw the Sony when it was new and have had one for a few years

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I sunk……..a LOT of hours into https://elastomania.com

failed 11th grade math class cause we got this game on our school computers.

Jokes on me i'm still not able to pass that class.

Wild EEPROM posted:

moving my mouse while I was burning a disc would result in static on the cd I was trying to play in my cars custom deck god drat these glitch sounds!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

KozmoNaut posted:

In real life, it's a drat Bluetooth speaker with questionable sound quality anyway.

it's worse than that it's my car lol

speaking of which, those 3.5mm to tape adapters you used to get because built in units hardly ever had an aux/your radio head unit was too poo poo to have one

in fact car stereos in general

Ruffian Price posted:

yeah ideally you want to keep the source volume at max and change it on the speaker so it's not mostly noise floor either

when the two aren't synched then you get the classic "blow out your own eardrums" problem when you switch source/target and the volume is amped to max

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

remembering when this cd burn fuckery actually made it onto the gold press of an album because the recording studio were a bunch of assholes who refused to fix it without john 5 ponying up to redo the whole thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYweP9DvrnY

for the longest time i thought the artifacts were intentional

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

it's worse than that it's my car lol

speaking of which, those 3.5mm to tape adapters you used to get because built in units hardly ever had an aux/your radio head unit was too poo poo to have one

in fact car stereos in general

when the two aren't synched then you get the classic "blow out your own eardrums" problem when you switch source/target and the volume is amped to max

what about those 3.5mm to radio transmitters that you could run your ipod through and then tune an fm frequency on your stereo to listen

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the 3.5 jack to fake cassette tape adapters were way cooler than the fm ones imo

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppo3IgHWDzA

Yeah baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

the 3.5 jack to fake cassette tape adapters were way cooler than the fm ones imo

still use one in my car to this day :c00lbert: