Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Maybe just drink less soda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Animal Friend posted:

Maybe just drink less soda
never

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
48 cans of soda is about 38lbs, plus a bit for the aluminum. That's pretty doable on a rear rack! It's definitely gonna be pretty squirrely to get started from a stop though

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Hell, there’s this: https://www.funcoo.de/

a full crate of beer, glass and all is like 20kg and they’re doing two lol. Tempted to pick one up for sheer novelty/lunacy.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Posted this before, but this was easily about 45 lbs worth of crap!

and when I first got these panniers, I wanted to test them out before my bikepacking trip so I went to the store and got two 20lb bags of dirt and threw those in and did about 15 miles around the park loops for fun.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Mauser posted:

48 cans of soda is about 38lbs, plus a bit for the aluminum. That's pretty doable on a rear rack! It's definitely gonna be pretty squirrely to get started from a stop though
Yeah, I was also an idiot who didn't secure them, so they were loose in the panniers and shifted back and forth in a way the 12-packs hadn't. I'd have probably been fine if I'd just laid the boxes on top of the rack and bungied them securely. Or if I'd has a chance to practice on something other than hilly urban streets :shrug:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cugel the Clever posted:

Yeah, I was also an idiot who didn't secure them, so they were loose in the panniers and shifted back and forth in a way the 12-packs hadn't. I'd have probably been fine if I'd just laid the boxes on top of the rack and bungied them securely. Or if I'd has a chance to practice on something other than hilly urban streets :shrug:

What's the challenge, balancing side to side? It's an ebike, right? Does taking off from a standstill present an issue?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

What's the challenge, balancing side to side? It's an ebike, right? Does taking off from a standstill present an issue?
Side to side, yeah. I didn't really try again after the initial trouble, so might have found it wasn't as bad as initially perceived, but didn't want to make a giant spectacle if I hosed it up. I've still been using my old Specialized Sirrus for grocery runs due to pannier compatibility issues mentioned above, so didn't get the nice boost of the assist to kick me off from a standstill.

Planning to pick up the thru-axle for the Burley Nomad I'm going to buy to make it work with the ebike, just need to get around to measuring the current one to determine which length I'll need.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I don't ride the bakfiets daily anymore or commute much with it since my kids mostly ride or walk to wherever by themselves these days, but it's still awesome for hauling.
Garbage run! A guesstimated 75 kg load this time. It gets sketchy above 100.

It also gets sketchy at around 40kg when much of the load (small human) shifts her weight side to side for laughs but that's a different matter

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

When you have that much weight in there do you have to rely on the powers of prayer or bad language to stop?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Animal Friend posted:

When you have that much weight in there do you have to rely on the powers of prayer or bad language to stop?

Just wait until something gets caught in your spokes and you'll come to a stop pretty quickly.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Animal Friend posted:

Having decent quality brakes that are maintained regularly is probably a better choice.

I would stop a total of 500lbs (me+bike+300lb trailer) with just rim brakes and I would say that is near the edge of what I was comfortable with.

Now I use a trailer with surge brakes so I can do emergency stops downhill.

E: I'm serious about well maintained quality brakes. Nothing is worse than running out of lever throw and not being able to slow down.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 3, 2021

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Animal Friend posted:

Since I upgraded to hydraulic discs front and rear it stops plenty good but it is a bit weird. Most noticeable the rear brake is normally the more effective one since my rear end is right above the rear wheel and the front is usually comparatively lightly loaded and locks up pretty easily especially if it's wet. It doesn't seem to get loaded and thus more effective from forward weight shift during hard braking like on a normal geometry bike either. Heat can become a problem but since I have regenerative braking I mostly use that for casual slowing down or descending hills, meaning the discs aren't used much unless there's an emergency and they have at least one or two rapid stops in them before they need to cool down for a bit.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Bike Commuting: Show Us Your Loads!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Animal Friend posted:

I dunno about his bike but 4pot hydraulic discs make pretty much everything trivial except bombing down a hill with a load.
Long downhills are the one thing direct drive ebikes do much better since you can just crank the regen and coast.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Mauser posted:

Bike Commuting: Show Us Your Loads!
Okay.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I think I've developed sweat related rashes/skin conditions since it affects my armpits and groin area exclusively. Aside from seeing a dermatologist, which I'm absolutely going to do, any other good general advice?

Maybe I should change my clothing? I tend to wear football or basketball shorts alongside loose running shorts. I think the material is solely synthetic, but it's the same gear I used when running. I would only run 15 km on the weekend and 5-10 during the week as opposed to 100km cycling per week, so maybe it's just due to the significant increase in activity?

edit: Not to mention consistently chapped lips but I think this is more due to face-masks coupled with winds.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 3, 2021

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So I think I've developed sweat related rashes/skin conditions since it affects my armpits and groin area exclusively. Aside from seeing a dermatologist, which I'm absolutely going to do, any other good general advice?

Maybe I should change my clothing? I tend to wear football or basketball shorts alongside loose running shorts. I think the material is solely synthetic, but it's the same gear I used when running. I would only run 15 km on the weekend and 5-10 during the week as opposed to 100km cycling per week, so maybe it's just due to the significant increase in activity?

edit: Not to mention consistently chapped lips but I think this is more due to face-masks coupled with winds.

I would definitely start with a cycling chamois under a loose pair of shorts.

Had my first flat tire on my ride home, thank goodness I remembered to buy a new tube. Now I need another. Also :rip: those gloves, now covered in oil and grease. They were due replacing at least but I must remember to put a small travel pack of wet wipes and a rag in my bag.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I like to keep a set of nitrile gloves in my repair kit for exactly that reason.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Coxswain Balls posted:

I like to keep a set of nitrile gloves in my repair kit for exactly that reason.

that's a better idea in fact

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

100YrsofAttitude posted:

How hot is it where you're at? Also, are you getting some chaffing too? I am not a doctor, so get that opinion, but my only thought is the loose clothing could be roughing up your skin a bit and giving you some chaffing or heat rash.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

Had my first flat tire on my ride home, thank goodness I remembered to buy a new tube. Now I need another.
Lots of people are "tubes are cheap", but I think it's still worth patching them. It's cheaper still and easy to do.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Albinator posted:

Lots of people are "tubes are cheap", but I think it's still worth patching them. It's cheaper still and easy to do.

Good idea, I think I'll try that next time now that I know how old the tube is (this came with a new to me bike). Today I was a greasy mess and was near a garbage bin so left the filth there

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Not that this is super important in the city, but having a bit of spare tube around is actually pretty great in case of a huge slash to your tire. You can put strip of the tube in the tire to keep your tube from mushrooming out and it'll get you where you need to go. I had to do this on a recent multi day ride thanks to me ordering a new tire and not actually putting the drat thing on beforehand.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

In the winter, it's harder to get the patch to set, not to mention waiting the extra time can chill you down more.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Albinator posted:

And in case of rear tires: you don't need to remove the wheel and dont get oil/grease all over your hands.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

ImplicitAssembler posted:

And in case of rear tires: you don't need to remove the wheel and dont get oil/grease all over your hands.

explain

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

If you're just patching a tube and it's obvious where the puncture is, you can leave the wheel on the frame and just wedge out the part of the tire and tube where the puncture is. Remove the offending material, patch it up and you're good to go.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Bilirubin posted:

I would definitely start with a cycling chamois under a loose pair of shorts.

Mauser posted:

How hot is it where you're at? Also, are you getting some chaffing too? I am not a doctor, so get that opinion, but my only thought is the loose clothing could be roughing up your skin a bit and giving you some chaffing or heat rash.

It's the metropolitan Paris area so nothing absurd. Highs in the 30s if ever. I didn't think loose clothing would cause that issue, I just thought it would cool me down by allowing for more air circulation. I'll definitely look into something more form fitting.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Had to swing by the office to touch a computer. Didn't need to bring anything so I went bagless on the fast bike. Noticed I had forgotten my indoor shoes under the table.

I think I might have looked slightly idiotic on the way back.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Coxswain Balls posted:

If you're just patching a tube and it's obvious where the puncture is, you can leave the wheel on the frame and just wedge out the part of the tire and tube where the puncture is. Remove the offending material, patch it up and you're good to go.

Got it. Not so sure about how easily one can find the hole with the wheel on the bike without a nail sticking out of it, which was why I was asking.

Throwing a new tube in and dealing with patching at home seems more time efficient to me.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

nothing worse then patching the tube and putting it back on then having to do it again because air found a way out the side of the patch or whatever. I like patching them at home with lots of glue and putting it in a spring clamp

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It's the metropolitan Paris area so nothing absurd. Highs in the 30s if ever. I didn't think loose clothing would cause that issue, I just thought it would cool me down by allowing for more air circulation. I'll definitely look into something more form fitting.

I don't think it's likely the cause for the pits because there shouldn't be a lot of repetitive movement going on there. Maybe a silly question, but are you washing them regularly like after each use?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Bilirubin posted:

Throwing a new tube in and dealing with patching at home seems more time efficient to me.
That's what I do. Carry a spare for each tire dimension in use and patch the damaged tube at leisure where there's water for a leak test. Replenish the repair kit with a known good tube and carry on.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

First time doing consecutive day commute, and finally cleaned that damned inbound hill! :toot: It helped that, since I suspected I pinch flat yesterday I put the tire pressure gauge on the front tire that felt fine, and discovered my rated 55-85 psi tire was at 22 psi. Getting it to 60 sure reduced rolling resistance lmao Picked up a new tube on the way in, and got a bottle cage because one can never be too hydrated, even on a short ride.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Anyone here have any experience with the Tern HSD e-bike for commuting? I'm in Portland, OR on the westside, which means my commute has a pretty big uphill both ways that i'm not sure my legs can do anymore, especially with any amount of cargo.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Mauser posted:

nothing worse then patching the tube and putting it back on then having to do it again because air found a way out the side of the patch or whatever. I like patching them at home with lots of glue and putting it in a spring clamp

I don't think it's likely the cause for the pits because there shouldn't be a lot of repetitive movement going on there. Maybe a silly question, but are you washing them regularly like after each use?

With a bit of practice, it takes less than 5 minutes to patch a tube and if you can find the hole, it's much much faster than replacing the the whole tube. Biggest mistake people make, is putting way too much glue on. Put a a small amount on, smear it out to a thin layer and it'll set almost straight away. Wait 30 seconds, apply patch, make sure it's on securely. Check tire for puncture source (You'll need to do that anyway!) and once that is done, stuff tube back in, a little air so that it seats in the tire, tire back on, inflate, go.

The glue is a contact cement, so you only need a very thin layer.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

frogbs posted:

Anyone here have any experience with the Tern HSD e-bike for commuting? I'm in Portland, OR on the westside, which means my commute has a pretty big uphill both ways that i'm not sure my legs can do anymore, especially with any amount of cargo.

Not personally, but they're good bikes. They come up in the e-bikes thread a good bit. I think the first gen had some teething issues w/r/t the kickstand, but the second gen Terns are really solid.

As far as e-bike commuting goes in general, it rocks. Especially if you have a place to park it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mauser posted:

There's no shower, but I do clean myself best I can, freshen up, and change shirt after getting to work. I don't always take a shower when I get home, but it depends on the day. I'm a teacher so I don't work in the summer so it's relatively fresher when I do my commutes.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

With a bit of practice, it takes less than 5 minutes to patch a tube and if you can find the hole, it's much much faster than replacing the the whole tube. Biggest mistake people make, is putting way too much glue on. Put a a small amount on, smear it out to a thin layer and it'll set almost straight away. Wait 30 seconds, apply patch, make sure it's on securely. Check tire for puncture source (You'll need to do that anyway!) and once that is done, stuff tube back in, a little air so that it seats in the tire, tire back on, inflate, go.

The glue is a contact cement, so you only need a very thin layer.

I'll give it a shot next time I get a flat! I've just had like one bullshit side of the patch pop up and come loose when I fill it with air and then try to put some glue on that and it's a pain. Doesn't happen every time, I'm sure, but those are the ones I'm remembering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

With a bit of practice, it takes less than 5 minutes to patch a tube and if you can find the hole, it's much much faster than replacing the the whole tube.

I believe it, but I'd rather not deal with it in less ideal conditions, like cold and sleeting, where I need to shelter the tube and dry my hands off.

I'll grant you that taking off there wheel can be onerous depending on your fender/rack mounts at the dropout.