Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I have a section where I had to run my 2x fiber and 4x cat6 from the basement Main rack to the second floor IDF next to some romex for about 10 feet in the attic, it’s fine. Then again, the cat6 is only used for camera traffic and the fiber for everything else so I’m not too concerned about signal interference.

Didn’t want to do it that way but I didn’t
have a choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

cruft posted:

I mean, you have a bundle of like 6+ ethernet cables there
That's electrical cable bundled together coming out of that PVC pipe. There is zero Ethernet cable in that picture.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

That's electrical cable bundled together coming out of that PVC pipe. There is zero Ethernet cable in that picture.

Oh, wow, scale. Now I understand why I wasn't able to find "CAT6" printed on any of them.

Anyway, my inability to recognize romex notwithstanding, I think you're going to be okay running ethernet through that PVC pipe. A phone line would be noisy as hell, though.

E: vvv I'm not going to crap up the thread with more posts. I'm going to take a break for a while. I apologize for being an idiot the last few days and not reading things thoroughly. I'll try to stay in my lane when I come back. vvv

cruft fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 4, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

cruft posted:

Oh, wow, scale. Now I understand why I wasn't able to find "CAT6" printed on any of them.

Anyway, my inability to recognize romex notwithstanding, I think you're going to be okay running ethernet through that PVC pipe. A phone line would be noisy as hell, though.

I think Motronic described the safety concern there quite well. Having those cables laying alongside each other and being functional is one thing, pulling new cables through it alongside them is another imo.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
If it can be done wrong, someone will find the worst possible way to do so. :ohdear:

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMdTS4L4a/

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tremors posted:

If it can be done wrong, someone will find the worst possible way to do so. :ohdear:

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMdTS4L4a/

Oh god I saw that earlier and I’m convinced it has to be staged right? Right?

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Tremors posted:

Sorry for the reddit link but I don't know how to embed their videos;this is why I wish I had a single story house, I'm paranoid of 30 years of stuff done to the ceiling/floor.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 4, 2021

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Motronic posted:

I would suggest the smarter option than this is to leave your working hydronic system + fossil heat in place and augment it with a heat pump heating system in the same loop and proper controller to cut over to fossil when necessary like when it's under 35 or so and the efficiency goes way down....which may be a different calculation based on your solar, or when this "exotic for your town" HP hydronic goes down you still have a backup heat source. Heat pump + fossil and the controllers to handle an intelligent switchover is well trodden territory, nothing new nor exotic.

I'm an owner of a complicated Mitsubishi heat pump system and what Motronic recommends is correct for cold temperatures. I live in CA where it's super moderate, so heat pump is the only thing I have, but in cold temperatures this type of system becomes more inefficient.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I would be shocked if standard cat6 run in the same stud bay as modern electrical over a single story would result in enough interference to drop your speeds below gigabit. If you’re really concerned however or if you’re planning on running 10G then buy some fiber and media converters for either end and you’ll literally never have to worry about it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I'm always fascinated by goon home networking projects and I really want to know what y'all are doing with 5 miles of cat6 in the walls of your houses and a server rack in the basement, when I somehow manage with like, the wireless router AT&T gave me.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
cat 7 for me

don't do cat 7 it's miserable to terminate.

It's cameras. If I had cameras, I'd have way more ethernet running around. Still want cameras, just haven't got around to it yet.

Wireless requires power, so you're already running cables of some sort, plus IMO investing in something that'll likely be a security risk in 5 years is not a great idea, so wired it is.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Why the urge to cover your house in cameras though

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

brugroffil posted:

Why the urge to cover your house in cameras though

:911:

edit: I live in a quiet suburb okay I need to make sure that the neighbor kids aren't stealing cuttings from my Rhododendron :mad:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'm always fascinated by goon home networking projects and I really want to know what y'all are doing with 5 miles of cat6 in the walls of your houses and a server rack in the basement, when I somehow manage with like, the wireless router AT&T gave me.

I work with technology every day. I don’t want to manage it after work so I’ve overbuilt everything about my network. Every server/esxi host/desktop/entertainment center/tv, the printer, four POE IP cameras on the exterior, and four access points on every floor and the garage are all wired cat6 drops. I simply don’t have wifi issues, anywhere, because the only traffic on it is phones, tablets, and laptops. I also tied my house phone wiring into an rj25x port to plug in a VOIP box with a basic phone and e911 enabled. Main rack is in the basement with 4xCat6 and 2xOM3 run to a second floor cabinet in the laundry room. From there I can patch everything in as necessary and run any wiring needed in the attic for the second floor. The cameras are on their own private vlan that nobody else can talk to except for the NVR vm.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

DaveSauce posted:

:911:

edit: I live in a quiet suburb okay I need to make sure that the neighbor kids aren't stealing cuttings from my Rhododendron :mad:

This plus l like having projects to do. It’s taken me two and a half years to get it to the point where it is all done except for more runs needed when we do a proper theater in the basement.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

This is beautiful. Here's my setup:

I went sort of the opposite direction. I also work in a datacenter part of the time, and I don't want to have to futz with any of that crap when I get home. Everything here could just be torn out when I'm hit by a bus and my family would be able to stay on the Internet just fine.

This whole setup was chosen to use a minimum amount of electricity; low electricity use is sort of the theme for the house. I've got a Raspberry Pi 4 with a passive heat sink acting as a Plex server and Nextcloud server, with three inexpensive disks set up to mirror data. It's also acting as a router/firewall, along with the 8-port managed switch, for the two ISPs and the separate network where we put things that are security risks because they'll never going to get firmware updates, like the solar inverter.

This whole mess is attached to the legs of a little end table that scoots up next to the sofa. You don't see any of the wires normally, although one day I'd like to figure out how to clean them up.

There's sort of a race to see which happens first: my hearing degrades to where I don't hear the hard drives, or SSDs are cheap enough that I can completely get rid of motors in this setup. Aside from the printer, of course.

e: what you don't see is the little Ikea wireless switch that controls the PoE doodad to the microwave transciever, and the cable modem, both of which are in the basement. When things go on the blink, you can power cycle the whole works without having to go outdoors to get to the basement door. I was really proud of coming up with this solution.

cruft fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 4, 2021

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

corgski posted:

I would be shocked if standard cat6 run in the same stud bay as modern electrical over a single story would result in enough interference to drop your speeds below gigabit. If you’re really concerned however or if you’re planning on running 10G then buy some fiber and media converters for either end and you’ll literally never have to worry about it.

I hasn't even thought of fiber, I was thinking cat8 provided anything was pullable at all. If not, well, I get upward of 750 Mbps on MoCA 2.5 and could possibly cut out a splitter in there.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I hasn't even thought of fiber, I was thinking cat8 provided anything was pullable at all. If not, well, I get upward of 750 Mbps on MoCA 2.5 and could possibly cut out a splitter in there.

If you're an internet maximalist, why aren't you pulling strings and leaving them in the wall for future upgrades?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you're an internet maximalist, why aren't you pulling strings and leaving them in the wall for future upgrades?

If I can get a clear path to pull, I'm doing exactly that. Comedy option: use one of the two 1" PVC drains off of the current HVAC, since neither will be used after about a week or two.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
And here I feel like I'm going crazy running two runs of Cat5e from one end of the house to the other. Because my fiber modem enters at the front of the house, and I've put my wifi router at the back of the house (so I get signal in my garage), but I have my "server" in the same room as where the fiber modem is. So I'll need a cable running from the modem in the front to the router in the back, then another cable running from the router back to my dumb switch in the front.

My previous plan was to use a little hole in the kitchen floor behind the fridge to run some cables down to the unfinished basement. But after having electricians rewire the house and just sort of nonchalantly cutting holes in the walls for new outlets, I realized I can do that too! So now I've realized it's not actually that hard, especially with a fish tape. So time to put that in the wall (and I found that there exists a dual voltage old work box that I could potentially even use to put the jacks on the same plate as the power plug there (but keeping the wires isolated in the wall!). And then since my fridge is currently fed by a water line coming up through a hole in the floor as well, I think I'm gonna do that right and put a shutoff/hammer arrestor box in the wall.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 4, 2021

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Gonna trigger all you by saying when I bought by house it had Cat5 jacks in every room (and 6 of them in the upstairs bonus room for some reason), I pushed them all behind the walls and patched the drywall because WiFi suits all my internet and networking needs.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

lol that seems mostly like a self own but whatevs, live your truth.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
True, but my wife didn't want to look at all these jacks we don't need and there's never been a reason in the three years we've been here that I would have wanted them back. Plus the wires are all still run and my drywall repair skills aren't to the level that I couldn't locate them and use them if I wanted.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I just did cat 6 through my new build where ever a TV would go, plus bedrooms, office, a couple in the basement, 3 secuirty cameras, two unifi wifi 6 access points, one outdoor unifi AP, one cable in the trench where the septic goes by the garage and into the garage, and then the garage gets another poe switch, access point inside, access point outside, security camera inside and one outside on the road. Plus various wifi/other smart devices which will sit on a vlan.

As others have said PoE makes it easy. And having this level of connectivity in a house is desirable to most people who can afford a home of its price point.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Final Blog Entry posted:

Gonna trigger all you by saying when I bought by house it had Cat5 jacks in every room (and 6 of them in the upstairs bonus room for some reason), I pushed them all behind the walls and patched the drywall because WiFi suits all my internet and networking needs.

A guy I know bought a bookie's house and it had 6 phone jacks in the bedroom where the bedside table goes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I knew a guy in 1985 who was building a new house and put AppleTalk cables throughout the house. I don't know if he left strings in place as well, but I hope so.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Here's mine - Cat 6A.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
OK so back to screened porch ceiling chat.

Back a while ago I was confused as to what we bought:

DaveSauce posted:

Alright thread, two questions about screened porches.

1) "Proper" beadboard versus the plywood stuff. For the ceiling, we asked for "solid wood beadboard." The proposal lists, "tongue and groove beadboard." They are saying, however, that they're going to install 4x8 sheets of plywood (they claim) beadboard panels, and that the actual 1x6 (or whatever) planks would be a huge adder. What should we expect here? Looking through old versions of the quote, we paid $2,000 for the beadboard, but the version we contracted under doesn't line it out separately. I'd buy that the 4x8s installed could be that much on their own, but this seems to be an adder on top of... I don't know what their standard ceiling is... regular plywood? So labor would be nearly identical, and material would be marginally more, right? Which begs the question, what did we pay $2k for? 13x16 porch, and with the ceiling angle I'd guess about 225 sq ft. of area to cover.

Follow-up: should we even care? Is it worth fighting for the 1x6? Is it worth paying extra for the 1x6? Or are the 4x8 plywood sheets good enough? For reference this is a generic suburban shitbox. We're doing trex for the decking, but that's about the only other premium finish sort of thing we're doing. If the 4x8s are good enough, then the only issue is making sure I'm not paying for something I'm not getting.

So I finally got info on what they want to charge for "proper" beadboard (solid pine planks it sounds like). They want $1,500 extra.

Now this is interesting, because per above we were charged $2,000 for "beadboard ceiling stained." Reviewing that quote, this additional $2k was to "upgrade" from vinyl. However, based on what I'm reading, vinyl material is either similar in cost or more expensive than plywood. Only real difference is that the wood needs to be stained, but I can't imagine that takes up all the $2k price, but I dunno.

So I'm trying to figure out if I'm getting screwed or not here. And honestly I'm not sure $1,500 is worth the "proper" beadboard, but I just want to make sure I'm getting what I paid for...

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
We have a wireless router from Verizon. If I'm grilling on the deck, it's just out of reach from the signal and my phone switches to 4G.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Any opinions on gas vs electric dryers? Currently we have an electric dryer, but we're getting hooked up to gas in the near future, and our washer needs to be replaced, so I'm wondering if making the switch is worth it. I'm guessing no because a) the cost of plumbing gas to the laundry room, plus running a smaller receptacle, and b) no longer being abstracted from power generation, so we'd be burning fossil fuel even if our future power comes from renewables. Are gas dryers amazing compared to electric in some way I'm not thinking of?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Erwin posted:

Any opinions on gas vs electric dryers? Currently we have an electric dryer, but we're getting hooked up to gas in the near future, and our washer needs to be replaced, so I'm wondering if making the switch is worth it. I'm guessing no because a) the cost of plumbing gas to the laundry room, plus running a smaller receptacle, and b) no longer being abstracted from power generation, so we'd be burning fossil fuel even if our future power comes from renewables. Are gas dryers amazing compared to electric in some way I'm not thinking of?

We've been switching from gas to electric appliances, mostly for reason b. Condensing electric dryers have efficiency and clothing longevity advantages that I don't think can be reproduced with any gas dryer on the market.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I would love to switch to some electric appliances for b) reasons as well, but we've got a rock-solid boring commercial-grade gas dryer that will probably last forever, and my wife doesn't like the idea of an induction stove.

And then since I'm in Minnesota, going electric for heat and hot water is absurdly expensive for now.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Erwin posted:

If you have to run new gas piping of any distance, the small savings in cost to run a gas dryer over electric will not payback the gas line install in any reasonable timeframe.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

A guy I know bought a bookie's house and it had 6 phone jacks in the bedroom where the bedside table goes.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I knew a guy in 1985 who was building a new house and put AppleTalk cables throughout the house. I don't know if he left strings in place as well, but I hope so.

My POs were boomers. At least one coax and phone jack in every room. Basement had three coax, the 'office' had three coax and two phone jacks. All installed DIY, half of them run through the AC ductwork :psyduck:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Final Blog Entry posted:

What up bro?

Not exactly that but the house I bought (3200 sq ft) had 2-3 cat5e runs in some of the far corners and I’ve ignored the hell out of them and instead bought a eero 6 pro system and pull between 400 and 600 mbps over wifi, haven’t had any issues and I’m doing tons of video chats while working remotely.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cat5 has a maximum theoretical speed of 100Mbps

802.11n has a maximum theoretical speed of 300Mbps

My ISP claims to be serving up 200Mbps. Sometimes it even does.

I don't know how they were wiring ethernet into homes back when this was common, but I guess you could at least use the existing cables to pull higher-speed cables if there weren't any sharp turns?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

cruft posted:

cat5 has a maximum theoretical speed of 100Mbps

802.11n has a maximum theoretical speed of 300Mbps

My ISP claims to be serving up 200Mbps. Sometimes it even does.

I don't know how they were wiring ethernet into homes back when this was common, but I guess you could at least use the existing cables to pull higher-speed cables if there weren't any sharp turns?

The dude said CAT5 but it's possible he meant CAT5e. 5e is good for 1Gbps up to 100 meters.

Your max speeds for WiFi also seem low and depend on a ton of factors, most importantly router. A modern wifi router with 3 antennae should pull at least 300Mbps, not sure if it's 802.11n or what these days but there's MU-MIMO/AC and a bunch of other crap involved. I have no trouble getting 350-400Mbps on my wifi and I have a bog standard Amazon TP-Link Special, nothing fancy like the other posters in this thread.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 4, 2021

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Erwin posted:

I'd take an electric dryer any day of the week, personally, even though I very much like having natural gas for other appliances, especially the stove.

We had a commercial gas-powered dryer at our old apartment and I swear to god the temp dial settings didn't actually do anything because clothes always came out so scorching hot that you had to avoid touching any metal buttons or zippers lest you get burned. After a while I was line drying like 85% of my clothes because the excessive heat from the dryer would trash them.

At our house, we have the Maytag commercial tech electric dryer and it is much better and doesn't scorch my clothes when I don't want it to - the temp settings actually work and get very low. I know I'm working with a very small sample size but still. Also I've heard that gas dryers can cause yellowing in your whites after a while.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Queen Victorian posted:

Also I've heard that gas dryers can cause yellowing in your whites after a while.

Sounds like an urban legend. Anecdotally have never seen this, and I don't think there's any evidence to this claim. Other stuff sure but not this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Queen Victorian posted:

I'd take an electric dryer any day of the week, personally, even though I very much like having natural gas for other appliances, especially the stove.

We had a commercial gas-powered dryer at our old apartment and I swear to god the temp dial settings didn't actually do anything because clothes always came out so scorching hot that you had to avoid touching any metal buttons or zippers lest you get burned. After a while I was line drying like 85% of my clothes because the excessive heat from the dryer would trash them.

At our house, we have the Maytag commercial tech electric dryer and it is much better and doesn't scorch my clothes when I don't want it to - the temp settings actually work and get very low. I know I'm working with a very small sample size but still. Also I've heard that gas dryers can cause yellowing in your whites after a while.

My gas dryer has no problem with temperature control and I've had only gas dryers for decades and never had any sort of yellowing. I think the problems you're talking about are more bad/broken/poorly maintained gas dryers than gas dryers in general.