Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Prestige gain from marriage isn't relevant, but you do get dynastic renown for marrying rulers. So if you can marry your daughter to the king of France, go ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Femtosecond posted:

I'm not sure what my strategy for marrying my daughters should be. I could as I said, marry them off to commoners and get the best traits, or scale back a bit and try to ensure they always get a neutral or prestige gain.

Prestige doesn't matter. What matters is alliances with foreign powers to gain access to their troops, or marrying vassals to prevent their rebellion.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

How are u posted:

When I did King of all the Isles I used Haestienn as well. I went Sardinia > invade Kingdom CB Thessalonika, to cripple the Byzantines > work back to Mann to get feudal with the decision, because if you are even halfway lucky Haesteinn will still be alive and at this point easily meet all of the fame and prestige reqs to do Mann.

I should have went that route (holy crap does owning that duchy boost you with the special/duchy buildings) but I'd already done that for the Miklagardariki achievement and wanted to try something else. Though thinking the King of the Isles (the southern isles) will be a bit harder with a strong Byzantine...

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Thats all good and useful, but what really matters (to me) is eugenics. So that is correct

Is actually ridiculous how powerful eugenics is in CK3, compared to CK2

I did only 1 game so far from the early start to end, just to see how far I could take my family. I maxed the blood legacy line and always married into inheritable traits (focusing on the 3 types genius + herculean + beautiful) and always landed family members (married a lot inside the family too).

I gave up by 1400, cause I was bored to death and there was nothing left to do. By then I had around 8000 living members in dynasty (almost 200 houses). Around 7200 them were genius + herculean + beautiful. In fact, most characters in the world, even not from my dynasty, were genius + herculean + beautiful, because by than mostly every family had married with some of my kin at one point

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 3, 2021

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Yeah, I think the heritability of these things in-game is way too straightforward. And then there's perks that make it even worse. But the majority of fans seem to really enjoy the eugenics / incest aspects, so I guess they're playing to their audience.

Personally I'm more of a storytime player, and I actively stop myself from marrying some commoner from the other end of the world just because they have good genes.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

pidan posted:

Yeah, I think the heritability of these things in-game is way too straightforward. And then there's perks that make it even worse. But the majority of fans seem to really enjoy the eugenics / incest aspects, so I guess they're playing to their audience.

I tend to be playing to get my children/grandchilden to inherit large tracts of land rather than trying to make the perfect Kwisatz Haderach.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

New dev diary - A View to a Map
- adding Carantanian culture and many cultural and other changes in India

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I love playing in India with how rich it is, so it'll be interesting to see what changed. Andhra was a good kingdom to have as your primary, since it was small (2 duchies, 5 counties), and had a diamond mine in the capital. Any time I played in India that would be my goal to grab for the core of my demesne.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

PancakeTransmission posted:

I should have went that route (holy crap does owning that duchy boost you with the special/duchy buildings) but I'd already done that for the Miklagardariki achievement and wanted to try something else. Though thinking the King of the Isles (the southern isles) will be a bit harder with a strong Byzantine...

Yeah. My first shot at King of All the Isles I started up in Iceland and was having a nice time quietly hoovering up islands in Scotland and Scandinavia. Then I took a casual peek down at the Mediterranean and found the Byzantines had taken all of the Balkans, were moving into Italy, had Libya, and the Umayyads had fractured and were a series of lovely little kingdoms.

:v:

e:

Games > Crusader Kings 3: what really matters (to me) is eugenics.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

pidan posted:

Personally I'm more of a storytime player, and I actively stop myself from marrying some commoner from the other end of the world just because they have good genes.

I like it, I play mostly to make my dynasty powerful glorious supermen and all, but I guess is way too easy right now

Even without anything, the chance of a child inheriting a trait like genius seems a lot higher than it was on CK2. Add the Blood legacies and Strong Blood, and it becomes just ridiculous

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The eugenics bit wouldn't be as bad if they removed the “closely related, might become inbred” warning text… :devil:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Tippis posted:

The eugenics bit wouldn't be as bad if they removed the “closely related, might become inbred” warning text… :devil:

On the flip side, that text is also annoying because it should be a search filter instead, though I suppose it would be a miserably un-performant one.

(but inheritance is definitely too straightforward right now, it's a shame that the Improved Genetics modder's CK3 port seems to have stalled).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 3, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah it would be better if it warned you based on cultural/religious environment. So for Christians that would be up to the seventh degree (ie second cousins and closer is no good), probably with a piety penalty for marrying inside of that.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
The "find spouse" search already only displays matches that would be legal in your religion (of course, the current doctrine for Christianity isn't technically strict enough but close enough for gameplay at least until the Papal Dispensations feature ends up in some hypothetical DLC) - this is more about the actual genetic chance of inbreeding, which (wacky Divine Blood/Blood legacy shenanigans aside) doesn't change.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dallan Invictus posted:

The "find spouse" search already only displays matches that would be legal in your religion (of course, the current doctrine for Christianity isn't technically strict enough but close enough for gameplay at least until the Papal Dispensations feature ends up in some hypothetical DLC) - this is more about the actual genetic chance of inbreeding, which (wacky Divine Blood/Blood legacy shenanigans aside) doesn't change.

It would be nice if the warning at least gave you some indication of how they are related because often it will show up and I cannot figure out how the family trees are connected. Like just some simple text that says "(husband's) Grandfather is (wife's) Great Uncle"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
CK2 was always too intimidating with its million mods but I'm liking this game a lot and still learning basically everything.

I really like the starting scenario when I spend fame to raise armies and murder everyone, but my master plans were totally derailed when I died of old age and my useless son had to step in!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

No I know, but it'd be much cooler to bind that warning to character relevant systems rather than player relevant ones. You know, in the character centric game and all.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It would be nice if the warning at least gave you some indication of how they are related because often it will show up and I cannot figure out how the family trees are connected. Like just some simple text that says "(husband's) Grandfather is (wife's) Great Uncle"

It would be nice if in the dynasty screen or somewhere we could trace the relation between any 2 characters

Like, in a long game, often some dynasty member pops up as the king of some foreign distant nation or something like that and I want to know where he came from, how is he related to my main line and all, and is very hard to do that on the dynasty screen when the dynasty is already huge

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
High Partition shouldn't be creating new titles should it? I'm currently the duke of outrejourdan and also control all of the duchy of amman and sinai but those titles don't exist. The previous two successions my eldest son has become duke and my younger sons have picked up a county or two each but this time I'm being told that my oldest son will become duke of outrejourdan and sinai and my younger son will become duke of amman.

I thought only confederate partion was supposed to create new titles and I think it's especially weird that the new titles haven't threatened to create themselves until now.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Hellioning posted:

Prestige gain from marriage isn't relevant, but you do get dynastic renown for marrying rulers. So if you can marry your daughter to the king of France, go ahead.

That's interesting... good to know.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Prestige doesn't matter. What matters is alliances with foreign powers to gain access to their troops, or marrying vassals to prevent their rebellion.

Yeah when marrying daughters, pretty much alliances are usually my top thing I'm looking at. However when I have lots of alliances, or my ruler is near death, then I start to look at other things.

Next after alliances I look for claims, situations where perhaps I can get a child of my dynasty with a new claim for some land I want to go to war for.

If I have good intrigue I can matrilineally marry a daughter to the second son, then murder the first. I used that one game to switch the dynasty of the emperor of Frankia to mine.

But after that I'm basically just marrying my daughters to Herculean Geniuses and such with the hope of just having more good people in my court that I can use later.

Any other things I'm missing?

The vassal thing you mention is a good one. I've used that before...

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

My gambit to get an exclave near a bunch of independent rulers in order to vassalize them was a good idea, but I think I messed up a bit by not immediately vassalizing everyone around me. I forgot that there's other rulers out there.

I could have vassalized everyone at a lower tax rate, but I got greedy and thought why not wait a few years by swaying them so they'll accept a higher tax rate? The mistake here though is that during that time I suspect my rival Dutchy of Tuscany vassalized some of them as they are now suddenly part of the Duke of Tuscany's lands. Whoops. (There doesn't seem to be anywhere in the Title History UI that says anything around counties becoming independent or part of another realm. They should add this!)

It's gonna be a lot harder now to pry these lands out of the Duke of Tuscany's hands. I'll have to go to war for each little one and then there will be the delay from truces and such.

Not sure if there's a better approach. It would be nice to be able to throw a bomb into Tuscany and have all those rulers rebel and go independent again, but I don't know how to engineer that.

Maybe that's something this game could use, some intreguey way to forment a rebellion in another kingdom.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Something weird (buggy??) I noticed when playing last was that I crushed a rebellion and imprisoned all the vassals, BUT with two of the vassals they dropped out of the rebellion mid-rebellion, and at the end they were in prison but the game said they hadn't committed a crime and I didn't have a legal cause to revoke their lands without tyranny.

Unsure if this is intended or a bug. Does seem like a bit of a dumb 'get out of jail free' card for those vassals...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yea that happens with Claimant Factions I think, it's very silly.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Elias_Maluco posted:

I like it, I play mostly to make my dynasty powerful glorious supermen and all, but I guess is way too easy right now

Even without anything, the chance of a child inheriting a trait like genius seems a lot higher than it was on CK2. Add the Blood legacies and Strong Blood, and it becomes just ridiculous

Yeah, check out this guy on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/ownkj7/updateto_all_of_you_haters_saying_he_would_die_at/

But to be fair, he doesn't play Ironman from reading his comments

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Femtosecond posted:

That's interesting... good to know.

Yeah when marrying daughters, pretty much alliances are usually my top thing I'm looking at. However when I have lots of alliances, or my ruler is near death, then I start to look at other things.

Next after alliances I look for claims, situations where perhaps I can get a child of my dynasty with a new claim for some land I want to go to war for.

If I have good intrigue I can matrilineally marry a daughter to the second son, then murder the first. I used that one game to switch the dynasty of the emperor of Frankia to mine.

But after that I'm basically just marrying my daughters to Herculean Geniuses and such with the hope of just having more good people in my court that I can use later.

Any other things I'm missing?

The vassal thing you mention is a good one. I've used that before...

I will second my support of "Vassals"

If you marry a daughter into a powerful vassal or their family, they can't form factions against you. Otherwise, rather than genetic traits, it's not a bad idea to matrilineally marry for Prowess or any of the other skills, to fill out your Knights and council. Maybe a nice doctor?

Also, going for prestige is fine. It's not ideal, but don't listen to the power gamers. Don't always listen to me, either! Have fun. Find a system that balances advantages with being interesting because there's a lot more to the game than painting a map.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Maybe I do need to focus more on vassals.....

At long last my ruler died, and the kingdom split up amongst his 5 sons.

Aaaaand less than a year into rule with the new guy, he gets murdered. I guess that intrigue roll with his uh 3, did not work out so well...

lmao ok. I'm sorry that went so catastrophically badly I'm gonna save scum at least once and see if I can handle the last year of my ruler's life somehow better in any way better to try to insure the next ruler isn't instantly murdered.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well there's no particular guarantee that it's even one of your vassals trying to murder you. But what you should always do is make sure your spymaster doesn't hate you. Particularly upon succession people tend not to, and if your spymaster joins a murder plot against you you're as good as dead. It's absolutely worth throwing gold their way, or firing them and replacing them with some nobody who kinda likes you and is mostly competent.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

Well there's no particular guarantee that it's even one of your vassals trying to murder you. But what you should always do is make sure your spymaster doesn't hate you. Particularly upon succession people tend not to, and if your spymaster joins a murder plot against you you're as good as dead. It's absolutely worth throwing gold their way, or firing them and replacing them with some nobody who kinda likes you and is mostly competent.

Yeah when it comes to spymasters, your priorities should really be:

1) Likes me
2) Competent

A lovely spymaster that likes you is much, much less dangerous than a good spymaster that doesn't.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yea I often wind up appointing my mother to my spymaster. They'll usually be around in your court, and they really like you.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

PittTheElder posted:

Yea I often wind up appointing my mother to my spymaster. They'll usually be around in your court, and they really like you.

Yeah but it stings that much more the few rare times your own mom wants to put you in the ground :(

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Once I caught my son sleeping with my wife. He was my preferred heir so I accepted being cucked.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

guidoanselmi posted:

Once I caught my son sleeping with my wife. He was my preferred heir so I accepted being cucked.

Is it too early for a new thread title?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

guidoanselmi posted:

Only once?

When I started playing I went browsing through the game rules and I accidentally left the "predominantly homosexual" option on and even though all my heirs were gay, I thought it was just like a lineage thing so it took me a couple of games to notice. At any rate, I guess the preponderance of males, or maybe there's a horny modifier to males or something, but my dad was always trying to gently caress me or I my kids or my sons were loving each other and then inviting me to join when I walked in on them. I remember when my 70 year old gay dad tried to seduce me and I was "no wtf" and then he immediately died, leaving me the county of Leicster.

I just passed the 200 hour mark so I'm just starting to understand the game, lemme ask a basic rear end question - what speed do you play on? I probably spend 80% on 4, swapping to 3 for delicate combat maneuvering and up to 5 when I need someone to die or to stack currency. Is that about right?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

I'm sure it was this. The guy has 28 Intrigue and I noticed at the end he joined the faction and my new ruler popularity with him was like negative 50 or 80 lmao.

The only hope for my save scum I guess is to have the previous ruler befriend him and/or have my new ruler give him tons of cash and/or marry off the daughter to him immediately.

I could also make him not the spymaster of the new ruler. Could help some. If I recall being on council buffs their stats? I recall noticing this when I was a vassal of the HRE and added to council.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 4, 2021

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Femtosecond posted:

(There doesn't seem to be anywhere in the Title History UI that says anything around counties becoming independent or part of another realm. They should add this!)

If you click on the face of someone in the title history, you’ll see from their profile page whether they had a liege when they died.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

zoux posted:

I just passed the 200 hour mark so I'm just starting to understand the game, lemme ask a basic rear end question - what speed do you play on? I probably spend 80% on 4, swapping to 3 for delicate combat maneuvering and up to 5 when I need someone to die or to stack currency. Is that about right?

3 is my default speed, 4 if I want to skip ahead a bit. Now that I'm used to the game and know what to skip, I probably use 4 more than 3. 5 is if I really want to skip months or years, e.g. when my character is a baby. 2 is for delicate maneuvering. I barely ever use 1, maybe when I'm deep in some menu but don't want to pause for some reason.

After playing the game for a while, I do like it better than CK2. It's missing a bunch of mechanics, but I'm sure most will be back in some form with DLCs. Even the achievements are a nice mix of easy, interesting and challenging.

Today I noticed for the first time that normal characters have different heights. My king was a short little dude, shorter than his wife in the portrait, no height traits involved. That was really endearing to me, probably because hardly any games have that feature.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

If you click on the face of someone in the title history, you’ll see from their profile page whether they had a liege when they died.

Oh nice. thx

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Femtosecond posted:

I'm sure it was this. The guy has 28 Intrigue and I noticed at the end he joined the faction and my new ruler popularity with him was like negative 50 or 80 lmao.

Yeah making that dude your spymaster was just a slightly more complicated version of the "comit suicide" decision.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Having a spymaster with mediocre Intrigue who loves you is WAY better than having a spymaster with really high Intrigue who hates you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

zoux posted:

Only once?

When I started playing I went browsing through the game rules and I accidentally left the "predominantly homosexual" option on and even though all my heirs were gay, I thought it was just like a lineage thing so it took me a couple of games to notice. At any rate, I guess the preponderance of males, or maybe there's a horny modifier to males or something, but my dad was always trying to gently caress me or I my kids or my sons were loving each other and then inviting me to join when I walked in on them. I remember when my 70 year old gay dad tried to seduce me and I was "no wtf" and then he immediately died, leaving me the county of Leicster.

I thought this was hilarious but when I read it aloud to my fiancée she asked me what I thought her ring would fetch on eBay so I guess there’s a gender gap or something. :shrug: