Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Today's outing isn't helping him...

but holy poo poo Freddy Peralta has a 3.9 H9 and the single season record for that is HILTON SMITH in 1944 at 4.36. Nobody else has ever had below 5.

Today's outing is the first time all season he has given up 6+ hits. 12 of his 19 starts he has given up 2 hits or less. That's nutty.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kirios posted:

Hmm...something doesn't seem quite right here.
If you want to spend your day scrolling through Dodgers twitter on some kind of twisted schadenfreude mission after a single game in August, knock yourself out. But no one else cares about the detritus you dug up in the process.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Robert Facepalmer posted:

'Sup fellow childhood sports desert goon! I just find it fascinating how people with either no local major teams, or multiple teams choose to pull for. Like for me, I had family in the Bay area during the Montana/Rice years so I got all kinds of Niners and A's gear from them, so that was what I went with until Joe went to the Chiefs and Canseco was helpin' homers.

MLB was very popular in the deep south, despite not getting Atlanta until 1966. I'm not sure how my grandfather became a huge Cardinals fan, but I'm sure Harry Caray had a lot to do with it. KMOX had a huge signal. He later became a secondary Cubs fan, behind the Braves, which is why I figure it was Caray.

My Dad, not wanting to copy his father, became a Pirates fan because he could pick up KDKA. His favorites were Smoky Burgess and Bill Mazeroski.

I don't know if either had a pro football or basketball team they cared for before Atlanta got teams. Neither the NFL nor NBA were wildly popular in the area. UGA football and high school basketball were enough.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bawfuls posted:

If you want to spend your day scrolling through Dodgers twitter on some kind of twisted schadenfreude mission after a single game in August, knock yourself out. But no one else cares about the detritus you dug up in the process.

Dude it was a thread on reddit relax. But please, tell me how much you don't care about it - make sure to shout it loudly so the folks in the back can hear how little you care!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
my dude, you have got to stop this pathetic poo poo

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Why?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I agree. This poo poo between the two of you is tiresome.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Because it’s a really sad and one-sided attempt to troll another poster while for some reason white-knighting a team that legitimately cheated

Just loving accept and roll with it like the rest of us instead of doing this embarrassing edgelord middle school poo poo.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Oh come on like I haven't been the one that's been rolling with it since the beginning BMJ. You must be thinking of a different Astros poster.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Kirios posted:

Oh come on like I haven't been the one that's been rolling with it since the beginning BMJ. You must be thinking of a different Astros poster.

You are literally the only Astrosposter who makes a point of bringing it up all the goddamn time and getting weirdly defensive about it when Dodgers fans in particular bring it up.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

That ain't true at all and of course I'm gonna fire back at bawfuls. I see it as friendly banter more than anything else? I don't think he's taking it seriously either?

I think you may be misreading it a little bit BMJ. It's also heightened since the two teams are playing each other in a very hostile series of games right now.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

My fun derived from baseball has gone up since I stopped hating the Astros. I can't do anything about it. Players, owners, and MLB aren't going to do anything about it. Justice and catharsis are never going to come. Dodgers got a ring, Yankees don't need another one.

Plus they have Greinke and they treat their minor league players better than my team does.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 5, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Baseball needs villains. Astros are just the newest to join the party with real meat to hate them with.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

And seriously y'all act like it isn't at least more entertaining with Yankees Dodgers and Astros fans talking smack to each other. What, you guys want Cubsposting 24/7 or something?

(Cubs fans don't actually answer that question)

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Angels are the villians of the past present and future.

For a decade this forum cried that the Angels did well with mediocre teams in a bad division and now they cry that they do poorly while having great players on their team.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone actually hate the Angels? I mostly feel bad for Trout and Ohtani who will never see the post season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think I've ever hated the Angels for an inning of my life.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
"gently caress the Angels" might be the most uttered phrase if you add up all the posts ever made in MLB N/V threads

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I could see Giants fans not being fans of the Angels, I guess.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Good Dog posted:

"gently caress the Angels" might be the most uttered phrase if you add up all the posts ever made in MLB N/V threads

A good number of those posts are mine, to be sure.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

kensei posted:

A good number of those posts are mine, to be sure.

And mine. I couldn't tell you how many times they would beat the Yankees with some dumb bullshit like Jeff Mathis hitting for a 500 OPS on the year turning into Barry Bonds for a series all the time, or mother loving Chone Figgins

Then they would go and poo poo their pants against the Red Sox every time.

gently caress the Angels for having and wasting Mike Trout, and gently caress the Angels for always making the playoffs with a bunch of stiffs and John Lackey for like a decade.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
I think that things would be better if all the bad baseball teams started being good and all the good baseball teams continued to be good and all the baseball teams were good and no baseball teams did any bad things.

Really quite simple, it you consider it.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Popete posted:

Does anyone actually hate the Angels? I mostly feel bad for Trout and Ohtani who will never see the post season.

When I say gently caress the Angels I specifically mean the FO and ownership who can't seem to ever build a team despite having numerous legit stars over the years.

But more especially gently caress the Yankees, despite them having several Good Base Ball Mans that I actually like on their team, and also gently caress the Astros because gently caress 'em.

Every team is terrible, especially my own.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

STAC Goat posted:

the annoying overachieving TLR era Angels were very hateable.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Kirios posted:

And seriously y'all act like it isn't at least more entertaining with Yankees Dodgers and Astros fans talking smack to each other. What, you guys want Cubsposting 24/7 or something?

Cubsposting (or Yanksposting or ***posting) is an honest expression (exaggerated at times, sure) of opinions based on recent games and injuries and news articles and whatnot. Sometimes there's a consensus, sometimes there's a disagreement amongst posters, either way it evolves naturally.

Forced "smack talk" is empty performative nonsense. Why create artificial animosity with posters over who won/lost? And to commit to it in support of the Astros and the cheating scandal? It's just a baffling choice, like you aren't part of their team, so why are you carrying their water.

Peak entertainment happens when posters are just posting and then whoops Manas shared a steak pic, or LloydXmas is going walking, or BILLY MAYS GDT, etc.

Anyways...

Manfred is a piece of poo poo. That's my N/V.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

The Garrett Anderson/Tim Salmon angels OWNED the Yankees and I hated them a lot.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
If nothing else the Angels have always deserved to be hated for repeatedly changing which area or city they supposedly represent despite being in the same stadium since before the Beatles broke up

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

yes it is really dumb and they should have stayed the California Angels

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Because it’s a really sad and one-sided attempt to troll another poster while for some reason white-knighting a team that legitimately cheated

Just loving accept and roll with it like the rest of us instead of doing this embarrassing edgelord middle school poo poo.

It's fun to talk poo poo, so let him talk poo poo, who cares?

If you're not enjoying this season as an Astros fan, I got nothing for you, it's been fun as hell mostly fun because everyone hates the Astros and the team has consistently been clowning anyone and everyone who talks poo poo.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

The Garrett Anderson/Tim Salmon angels OWNED the Yankees and I hated them a lot.

The team after that too

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Tommy La Stella is back after missing 3 months... so of course someone else gets injured
https://twitter.com/susanslusser/status/1423066444548370435

The beat writers are saying this is a phantom IL to give Disco some extra rest. Hope that's all it is. The Giants do have some tough roster decisions coming up as TLS, Belt, and Longo are coming back soon.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kirios posted:

Smack talk is what me and my posting enemy Spoeank do

What you do is something else that is weird and annoying to everyone. This is not a rivalry. Why should you or your team have any ill will towards the Dodgers and their fans, more than any other NL team? Houston won that series. I have no particular hatred for the Rays, for example. They're just a team the Dodgers beat. Hell I don't even dislike Boston any more than I did 5 years ago.

But of course we all know what the Astros did now, and that has rightly provoked the ire of the rest of the league, in particular the Dodgers and their fans for obvious reasons. So you and some subset of Astros fans have decided that makes the Dodgers a big rival now, like "oh haha this is just a good spirited baseball rivalry like any other, we have beef and trash talk." No, that is not the situation at all.

I know why I hate the Astros and those specific players, because they cheated in the World Series against the Dodgers. Why do you hate the Dodgers, because they... lost to your team in the World Series? No, you dislike them because they remind you of the unknowable questions that will forever surround the Astros only title. The boo's and trash can jokes remind you that maybe the sign stealing *did* make the difference in an extremely close series that went 7 games, even if you never admit this consciously. The mere presence of the Dodgers reminds you of this on some level, and so you try to transform it into something it's not, pretending like this is some normal rivalry forged in October. But it's not that and it never will be.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Season ending hip surgery for Rendon.

Is it a rule that the Angels need to always have at least one albatross contract on the books?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Okay now I definitely know you're in on it - s'all good bawfuls. Glad to see you posting.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It blows that Rendon can't seem to stay healthy. He's had a great career but his durability is going to be a problem.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

When I say gently caress the Angels I only mean Brian Downing and Bobby Gritch. The rest are ok I guess.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its kind of annoying that right as the Pats take a step back a bunch of Astros fans have decided to take up the contemptible banner of self righteous "I don't even understand why you're mad" nonsense.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Popete posted:

Let me tell you something, my name's Its Rinaldo and I'm from Seattle Washington and I say kill em all!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Astros fans who try to pretend the cheating didn't matter or the Dodgers are just as evil because ~reasons~ remind me of the lovely Cubs fans I know who try to argue that Chapman did nothing wrong or is reformed or that the Cubs shouldn't be ashamed that they traded for a known wife beater in exchange for a ring. Mental gymnastics are a hell of a weird drug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Okay wait what? Who are these Astros posters here who act like the cheating didn't matter?