Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

my grandfather built it. it doesnt need to be inspected lol

(of course it does, i'd do all that)

make sure it's the land and not the house at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ok it turns out stuff in the smokies is actually pretty expensive. but there's a ton of poo poo you can get in eastern KY & similar that is cheap

we'll see what happens after the move i guess :shrug:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wouldn't you be better off spending a little more money to be somewhere you could live year round that is slightly less remote?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I lived with my grandpa in east coast for awhile, and I saw where my mental illnesses came down the pipe. I'm glad my parents hosed off and squirted me out here in edmonton lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgBA0iCSfa4

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mystes posted:

Wouldn't you be better off spending a little more money to be somewhere you could live year round that is slightly less remote?

considering i can't get a mortgage, would you rather own a house outright in three months or maybe possibly have a chance at mortgaging a house in 2027 but there's a walmart in town so it's "better"

the middle tier sucks. a lot of the price spike of modern real estate but you're still not getting any good concerts in town. i lived the mid-sized 75k town life and it loving blows

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNPvKsUltrA

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the very first thing i gotta do is have a serious talk with my manager though, as we do adjust CoL for residence, and if they're gonna try to halve my pay because i live in a 'low income area' i'd have to find a new job

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
if I bought the house either of my parents were brought up in then they'd never visit due to the traumatic memories.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
im still mad @ my MIL cause she sold dads house to a flipper for like 30% under market value without even asking me if *I* wanted it at 30% under market value.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Jonny 290 posted:

the very first thing i gotta do is have a serious talk with my manager though, as we do adjust CoL for residence, and if they're gonna try to halve my pay because i live in a 'low income area' i'd have to find a new job

i'm sure everything within four hours of SF is way too expensive but is there somewhere defendably commutable from an office you could live where they wouldn't hit your CoL?

we just bought two hours from Melbourne, even that cost us 750k though.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

i'm sure everything within four hours of SF is way too expensive but is there somewhere defendably commutable from an office you could live where they wouldn't hit your CoL?

these are cartoon sums to me. you're basically jeff bezos relative to my living situation. no.

and yes i know about exchange rates.

i could maybe fake it by staying in colorado and going to a meth town but that has all the water and climate issues that denver itself has so i might as well just keep renting here if that's the option

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

DELETE CASCADE posted:

the gently caress's the difference?

take outt that sothern toothe, and sett in a torde

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Holy poo poo the price of that house. My wife just sold her inherited grandmother's house that's smaller than Jonny's grandparents' house but it's Massachusetts so someone forked over 260k for it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah. theres like two dozen houses for sale in this town all in the 20-70 range. Flipside is that if you get stuck there in winter your gas bill is $500.

the forgotten small towns are still so cheap. if you can keep yourself entertained its a super cheap life and nature is like right there

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
im asian so its not as bad for me as black peeps but chud ratio is way too high in that sorta place for me. prolly best be aware of the possibility of chuddery

one day i'll go back to the land of the 50 story soulless concrete apartment ~~~

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

We built our house relatively cheap but I know so many people who are or are going to be over their heads in debt due to the Stockholm syndrome housing market out here.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm not scared of "chuds". its an old, quiet, sleepy town and i am a white man with a beard and have like 8-10 years of life left. it's fine.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
oh poo poo! I saw a legit firebird today

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my uncle had an iroc-z and it was siiiick

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
someone had it parked outside and it was a glossy-rear end 70s firebird with the hood scoop and art and everything

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hellll yeah

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

hellll yeah

dude it should have been at a car show, not around here. I don't give a gently caress about cars but I stopped and checked it out

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm not scared of "chuds". its an old, quiet, sleepy town and i am a white man with a beard and have like 8-10 years of life left. it's fine.

you’ll fit right in

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i went on a bike ride this afternoon. come with me to new york, we have

bike paths

plane paths

cow paths

plant paths

you left off psycho paths

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm a van gal, I want a big van with wizards on it and bubble windows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0Dg_i6AhL0

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

you’ll fit right in

yes i know

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Anyways, scratch this plan. looks like there are no broadband providers there yet

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

Anyways, scratch this plan. looks like there are no broadband providers there yet

starlink!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i hope jonny doesn’t do anything involving streaming uninterrupted traffic for more than a few seconds at a time

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

if anyone could make a satellite dish overheat in -15 C winters it'd be enron musk

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

if anyone could make a satellite dish overheat in -15 C winters it'd be enron musk

since it is designed in cali by the same people who made tesla, i wouldn’t be surprised if it cracks at like -2

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the next town over is population 7k or so and does have 200/10 cable for a hundo a month. thats an option.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

rotor posted:

what'd be really wild is if you could just work from anywhere on earth via some kind of global computer network

they don’t have internet in the up, lucky bastards.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

the next town over is population 7k or so and does have 200/10 cable for a hundo a month. thats an option.

thinking about it, if you're paying 30k for a house with no antenna height limits you could probably set up as a WISP and get a decent pipe from somewhere that actually has an ISP that'll run you a business fibre line and send it to your house over a point-to-point 11 GHz link

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

you gonna run a long cable from the next town over?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

drat. that’s one heck of a commute to san francisco

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

you gonna run a long cable from the next town over?

no i'd move there instead

the family house would just be a fun perk, the key is to get into the UP before the billionaires do to it what they did to new zealand

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

uh… film some incredibly popular movies there?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
(buy it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

can weirdo billionaires doing something to new sealand explain echi?