Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

Rolo posted:

No this was a while ago and we weren't deviating, just telling the guy we couldn't take the given heading but a 2 minute delay, vector or lower would fix it. He refused to work with us and after snapping that we could go back where we came from another guy got on and gave us a good heading.

It wasn't a spill-your-drink cloud, it was dangerous. We weren't going in it.

Sometimes you have to just declare an emergency, do what you need to do, and deal with any paperwork later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So I completed my first flight. I flew the Piper Warrior. I finally understand what pilots actually go through when flying the plane. For whatever reason the instructor threw me in the deep end and gave me control of the aircraft right at taxi and takeoff while he controlled the throttle and fuel mixture. There is so much to keep track of I was so focused on trying to fly the thing that even controlling the trim level felt like it was taking away from my ability to fly the plane. Eventually I got used to it but I had a lot to learn. I don’t know how you guys juggle talking to ATC, making route changes or even navigating when hand flying the aircraft. Until someone flies a plane themselves I don’t think they know what they’re talking about when making fun of pilots for using autopilot.

Anyway back to my first flight at 0 lifetime flight hours:

I’m so used to watching IFR flights with full glass cockpits, waypoints and flight directors that I found VFR somewhat disorienting. I don’t know how the instructor was able to memorize the flight route and navigate us to where we needed to be. But I want to be able to do that too. Even just doing basic controlling of an aircraft gives me such a thrill and a sense of confidence that I didn’t think was possible. Even if this never becomes a career for me it’s an extremely valuable experience I’ll never soon forget.

During takeoff he just said “When I tell you to, pull back on the yoke. I’ll say rotate so you know.” I said “Hang on, tell me what V1 is”. Without any pretensions or hesitation he tells me “60” and I started calling out the instruments and following along with his instruction but also making sure I was actually acknowledging and understanding what the aircraft was doing before rotate and takeoff. It felt so satisfying to say “positive rate of climb”. I also picked up on Canadian ATC lingo and how they say “Circuit” instead of pattern. I know I’m supposed to rep Canada here but I much prefer pattern!

Overall I’m very impressed with this and looking forward to learning more. But also I feel like I have to expand my mind and multitask because I was so absorbed with just keeping the aircraft steady and level that I didn’t even have the bandwidth to think about throttle, airspeed, fuel mixture and navigation. I have a long journey ahead of me but I’m very excited. In spite of the nerves I felt a strange sense of calmness up there and flying the aircraft for the first time and hearing ATC on the radio (even if I didn’t control the throttle). It felt like I was putting on a brand new pair of shoes for the first time. It felt strangely familiar, yet surreal like my physical senses were finally plugging into what I understood from an academic and 3rd party perspective. I could feel what the airplane was doing in the sky, even if I didn’t fully understand what all of it meant yet. But on an instinctive level it made me trust the machine more. I was less worried about mechanical failures because of how the plane felt. During landing, felt right so I didn’t even feel that rollercoaster feeling you get before the wheels touched the runway. Even the left and right spark plug test produced tactile sensations that helped me recognize the plane could be an extension of my own body and that with time and practice I’d better understand all the non visual feedback it was giving me.

I hope I pass my medical because I don’t think I can give this up.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 31, 2021

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

So I completed my first flight. I flew the Piper Warrior. I finally understand what pilots actually go through when flying the plane. For whatever reason the instructor threw me in the deep end and gave me control of the aircraft right at taxi and takeoff while he controlled the throttle and fuel mixture. There is so much to keep track of I was so focused on trying to fly the thing that even controlling the trim level felt like it was taking away from my ability to fly the plane. Eventually I got used to it but I had a lot to learn. I don’t know how you guys juggle talking to ATC, making route changes or even navigating when hand flying the aircraft. Until someone flies a plane themselves I don’t think they know what they’re talking about when making fun of pilots for using autopilot.

I’m so used to watching IFR flights with full glass cockpits, waypoints and flight directors that I found VFR somewhat disorienting. I don’t know how the instructor was able to memorize the flight route and navigate us to where we needed to be. But I want to be able to do that too. Even just doing basic controlling of an aircraft gives me such a thrill and a sense of confidence that I didn’t think was possible. Even if this never becomes a career for me it’s an extremely valuable experience I’ll never soon forget.

During takeoff he just said “When I tell you to, pull back on the yoke. I’ll say rotate so you know.” I said “Hang on, tell me what V1 is”. Without any pretensions or hesitation he tells me “60” and I started calling out the instruments and following along with his instruction but also making sure I was actually acknowledging and understanding what the aircraft was doing before rotate and takeoff. It felt so satisfying to say “positive rate of climb”. I also picked up on Canadian ATC lingo and how they say “Circuit” instead of pattern. I know I’m supposed to rep Canada here but I much prefer pattern!

Overall I’m very impressed with this and looking forward to learning more. But also I feel like I have to expand my mind and multitask because I was so absorbed with just keeping the aircraft steady and level that I didn’t even have the bandwidth to think about throttle, airspeed, fuel mixture and navigation. I have a long journey ahead of me but I’m very excited. In spite of the nerves I felt a strange sense of calmness up there and flying the aircraft for the first time and hearing ATC on the radio (even if I didn’t control the throttle). It felt like I was putting on a brand new pair of shoes for the first time. It felt strangely familiar, yet surreal like my physical senses were finally plugging into what I understood from an academic and 3rd party perspective. I could feel what the airplane was doing in the sky, even if I didn’t fully understand what all of it meant yet. But on an instinctive level it made me trust the machine more. I was less worried about mechanical failures because of how the plane felt. During landing, felt right so I didn’t even feel that rollercoaster feeling you get before the wheels touched the runway. Even the left and right spark plug test produced tactile sensations that helped me recognize the plane could be an extension of my own body and that with time and practice I’d better understand all the non visual feedback it was giving me.

hell yeah, excited for you!

I'm a lowly 100 hour ppl, but you definitely get the body extension thing pretty quickly, it's a lot like driving a car in that way. wait until you get the hang of controlling speed with pitch and climb/sink with throttle while landing. that's my favorite thing - specifically something that seems so counterintuitive and forced at first, turns into an instinct.

it's can be a bit to juggle when you need to replan something while flying, like pulling up a different approach or looking up airport info for somewhere you didn't previously plan, but mostly manageable. if you get task saturated just remember to fly the plane first, everything else can and will wait, even an antsy controller, traffic behind you in a hurry, or an approaching runway you want to land on.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

Congrats new flying buddy. I just did my first two flights this week and it is fun just how quick you pick up on new skills, and also intimidating on just how many new skills there are to learn in a plane.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
the first five hours I was flying I didn’t like it because I could tell there was a ton of stuff I couldn’t take care of because I was so new

after that I knew I wanted it to be a career

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

a patagonian cavy posted:

after that I knew I wanted it to be a career

I can only hope I can be so lucky.
I’m going to be making some major time and financial sacrifices to get there. If it all.
Canadian airlines are snobby and not lacking for talent. My flight school is apparently overloaded with applicants wanting to be pilots too. So there’s gonna be a cadre of younger, fitter competition with less to lose and more time to make back what they spend.

But, I can either make bank and continue to be stressed out and miserable at my job. Or I can do something I truly love and feel passionate about. It’s a no brainer.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 31, 2021

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

I can only hope I can be so lucky.
I’m going to be making some major time and financial sacrifices to get there. If it all.
Canadian airlines are snobby and not lacking for talent. My flight school is apparently overloaded with applicants wanting to be pilots too. So there’s gonna be a cadre of younger, fitter competition with less to lose and more time to make back what they spend.

But, I can either make bank and continue to be stressed out and miserable at my job. Or I can do something I truly love and feel passionate about. It’s a no brainer.

Just move down to the USA get your ratings and find work here. Eventually you’ll be able to work for an airline which will allow you to commute from Canada if thats where you just have to live. My airline has guys commuting from places like France, Greece, Japan…

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Hey welcome to flying. My first 10 hours were miserable because of how hot it was and how much stuff there was to take in. It’s not just learning a new skill but also a new language and a new “feeling” about how flying feels.

DRINK LOTS OF WATER. I often made the mistake of thinking I needed extra food or extra cokes or something to keep my focus. I know now I just needed WATER especially in these summer months.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Captain Apollo posted:

Hey welcome to flying. My first 10 hours were miserable because of how hot it was and how much stuff there was to take in. It’s not just learning a new skill but also a new language and a new “feeling” about how flying feels.

Also I'd like to point out this same thing happens when you fly a Seneca for the first time after 200 hours in a single-engine trainer. OH HOLY JESUS gently caress, WHAT AM I DOING???

But congrats, Kraft. I hope you continue to enjoy it! The big hurdle tends to be whenever you reach the first skill you consider "hard," but if you're driven by the idea that "gently caress yeah, I want to be able to do that" rather than the idea that you want to be six steps ahead, you can always overcome it. The only students I've had that really struggled were the folks who looked too far ahead. Don't show up saying "I want to fly a 777," start with "today, I shall do a perfect crosswind landing in that Piper," do it, and enjoy that for what it is; that's always the first step.

And remember: no matter what anyone says, there's a million different ways to be a professional pilot. You're getting started on your own journey, don't get too overwhelmed with the final destination right away. If you decide the airlines are for you, you'll find a way. If you decide you don't like the look of that and would rather fly boxes, or teach new pilots, or fly medevac flights, you'll find a way to do that too. I've seen many different pilots and no two take the same path.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Captain Apollo posted:

DRINK LOTS OF WATER. I often made the mistake of thinking I needed extra food or extra cokes or something to keep my focus. I know now I just needed WATER especially in these summer months.

Isn’t that just gonna make you wanna piss with nowhere to go? I thought they don’t make them with pilot relief tubes anymore.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Kraftwerk posted:

Isn’t that just gonna make you wanna piss with nowhere to go? I thought they don’t make them with pilot relief tubes anymore.

On a summer day, you'll sweat it out. These things don't have A/C.

Winter, you probably don't need to pay such close attention to hydration.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
if you call up on a random airport’s frequency asking if their FBO has a public restroom

an angel will respond

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

can you declare a bathroom emergency

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Kraftwerk posted:

I mean … don’t chug 3 quarts 30 minutes before flying. But, if you have a lesson on Wednesday, make sure you’re getting lots of water on Tuesday.

Water = help brain think good in hot

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

can you declare a bathroom emergency

I'd assume you could call PAN PAN to
"[...] declare that they have a situation that is urgent, but for the time being, does not pose an immediate danger to anyone's life or to the vessel itself. This is referred to as a state of "urgency"."

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Carry an empty quart size Gatorade bottle. Problem solved!

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

Animal posted:

Just move down to the USA get your ratings and find work here. Eventually you’ll be able to work for an airline which will allow you to commute from Canada if thats where you just have to live. My airline has guys commuting from places like France, Greece, Japan…

If only it was that easy. I'd be down in the states in a MINUTE if I could as a Canadian. Problem is that 'Pilot' does not fall on the list of NAFTA Visa Jobs (TN Visa) where you don't need sponsorship so we'd have to go H1B. And to go down that path an airline would have to sponsor one of us and as part of that process prove there are no Americans qualified to do that job available. Up until now that's been a non-starter. If they ever added us to that TN list pretty much every Canadian pilot would be down there in a minute - you guys pay about 20-40% more across the board (including Majors, AC pay is a joke compared to UAL/DL/AA/etc). I believe all it would take is an executive order by Biden so it's not outside the realm of possibility as I'm sure soon enough the lobbyists will start asking for it.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Become an Australian and then come to the US. They don't seem to have much trouble takin er pilot jerbs

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

Be cool if i could take an atc job

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Desi posted:

If only it was that easy. I'd be down in the states in a MINUTE if I could as a Canadian. Problem is that 'Pilot' does not fall on the list of NAFTA Visa Jobs (TN Visa) where you don't need sponsorship so we'd have to go H1B. And to go down that path an airline would have to sponsor one of us and as part of that process prove there are no Americans qualified to do that job available. Up until now that's been a non-starter. If they ever added us to that TN list pretty much every Canadian pilot would be down there in a minute - you guys pay about 20-40% more across the board (including Majors, AC pay is a joke compared to UAL/DL/AA/etc). I believe all it would take is an executive order by Biden so it's not outside the realm of possibility as I'm sure soon enough the lobbyists will start asking for it.

Yep, same.

I have a feeling that the reason we can't do this is because our domestic industry has lobbied long and hard to keep it that way.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Desi posted:

That’s crazy! Wow. Even if they did do this I think all it would do is possibly drop the wages of American pilots (or increase the wages of Canadian ones if enough of them leave.).

I had a feeling I’d be saying goodbye to any financial security or benefits if I ever manage to fully switch over. But that’s a future me problem. At least I’d be doing something I love.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
My former regional airline sponsored a bunch of aussie pilots pre pandemic.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I'm banking on the pilot shortage making it easier to at least get my foot on the ladder and then seeing what I can do from there.

I do wonder if climate change is going to slow down flying 5-10 years from now though. We're like #1 on the list of activities that people are supposed to stop doing or something...

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Kraftwerk posted:

I do wonder if climate change is going to slow down flying 5-10 years from now though. We're like #1 on the list of activities that people are supposed to stop doing or something...

My dumb take: we’re going to die out as a species before we limit rich people using private jets or airline profits.

I’ve put thousands of pounds of gas into the atmosphere for trips where we take one kid to their boarding school or the dog to a different vacation home.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Rolo posted:

My dumb take: we’re going to die out as a species before we limit rich people using private jets or airline profits.

I’ve put thousands of pounds of gas into the atmosphere for trips where we take one kid to their boarding school or the dog to a different vacation home.

If at the very least they can figure out how to solve the biofuel problem you might be able to achieve carbon neutral air travel since whatever you blast into the atmosphere would just get reabsorbed by whatever plants you were using to make the fuel. Of course I'm sure it's not that simple and that you make exponentially more carbon doing the conversion process to fuel.

You guys probably know things about airlines that I don't but I always thought they were a low margin, volatile and weak industry compared to other interest groups. Like the rich will surely be able to fly whenever they want, no problem. But the mass consumer air travel industry doesn't sound like it has much pull with the government.
I've always believed if you were a tech or energy CEO, you could just fail upwards barring some major financial crimes which your huge sums of money would fix for you. As an airline, you're taking a large fortune and turning it into a smaller one or so the saying goes. I used to work for Bombardier so I was sitting there first hand watching armies of airline analysts produce facts and figures about fuel consumption, maintenance, routes and how many cycles you can squeeze out of a Q400 before you add AFM supplements for life extension etc. The airline customers we had would short-pay or not pay at all for their aircraft deliveries and many couldn't pay the upfront costs of a Q400 on the promise that it will somehow save them money down the line. With EADS/Airbus throwing sufficient money at ATR to shut us out of the commercial turboprop market, the Q400 was pining for the fjords since my first day at Bombardier and sure enough, production will completely cease this year.

gently caress the ATR-72 is a ghetto rear end aircraft though, I am still bitter that they were able to eat our lunch on price alone. They don't have an APU, their weight and balance is so hosed up that you need a loving pogo stick to keep the plane from falling on its tail during boarding/loading and you blast the passengers with jet wash because you're running the engine with a prop brake to power the aircraft instead of an APU. The engine performance doesn't give you much with which to de-rate the engines as well. But hey CHEAP AIRCRAFT! LOW COST!

The biggest irony for me is that while a lot of major Q400 operators (like Flybe) have failed or moved onto other aircraft (Porter) the Dash-8 series as a whole is considered to be a really successful turboprop family. Late in it's life we were cramming PAX in with 29" seat pitch, removing the fore cargo compartment for more seats and nickel and diming poo poo like the tail lights. There were some absolutely brutal floor plans that we've built and I apologize for my role in helping design them. Yet I still remember that there were so many operators that refused to let go of their Dash-8 100,200 and 300 series aircraft. It was just service extension after service extension. I even signed off on service bulletins that installed EFIS on some 1980s era models. So while there was no market for new aircraft, lots of operators were happy to fly the legacy planes until they couldn't fly anymore. They love that STOL performance and gravel runway options. In Switzerland I hear they still fly Dash-7s because of their extreme STOL performance which lets them land people on remote ski resorts in the alps.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 4, 2021

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
So scale of 1-10 how bad is this landing?
https://twitter.com/IndoPilot/status/1422841945257349125

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

At least 2 Jerry’s.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Isn't that one of the landing challenges in MSFS2020?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

Isn't that one of the landing challenges in MSFS2020?

Paro in Bhutan.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

I have dreams like this sometimes. Adding power is like when I try to run and my legs don’t work.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

So I've been going over some paperwork while I wait for my medical appointment in 2 weeks..

Is it okay to take ground school online? Or would it generally be better to do it out of a classroom? Perhaps the classroom option lets you meet people within the industry and network a little better for jobs later on when you're working on the CPL?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

So I've been going over some paperwork while I wait for my medical appointment in 2 weeks..

Is it okay to take ground school online? Or would it generally be better to do it out of a classroom? Perhaps the classroom option lets you meet people within the industry and network a little better for jobs later on when you're working on the CPL?

Na do that poo poo on your own, I used the campy as hell King Schools in cutting edge CD ROM video format and look at me now I’m a 767 Captain! I did have a sex dream involving Marta King once, that was the only real downside.

Animal fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 5, 2021

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

It probably depends on how you learn best. I'd think for the money it's tough to beat something like Sporty's or Kings online school because they give you lifetime updates and you can revisit the lessons anytime you want. They'd be a decent supplement if you decided to do lessons out of a classroom too.

You'll want a couple books too, I know Canada can be a little different from US standards but the Airplane Flying Handbook put out by the FAA has been helpful to me.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Animal posted:

I did have a sex dream involving Marta King once, that was the only real downside.

This remains my favorite story from this thread.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

If the school offers ground school in the class room, I would take that. The opportunity to ask questions, have discussions, etc is far more engaging than any online course. The classroom instructor will also have a far better idea of how to prepare for the written.
Are you just doing the PPL at first or are you going all the way?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

Aviation Megathread 10: I had a sex dream involving Martha King once

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

ImplicitAssembler posted:

If the school offers ground school in the class room, I would take that. The opportunity to ask questions, have discussions, etc is far more engaging than any online course. The classroom instructor will also have a far better idea of how to prepare for the written.
Are you just doing the PPL at first or are you going all the way?

I am training through an FBO that is offering online only courses through an outside provider: https://hangaaar.com/.
They explained that this ground school tracks the time I spend on courses and doing their quizzes online and once I've reach an ability level they're comfortable with they will send a written recommendation to the FBO that I'm ready to write the transport canada exam. At that point I can go and actually write it.
So for now I guess I'm doing it in phases. Getting the PPL and then starting the CPL once it's complete. I'm not sure if I can skip directly to ATPL and I feel having a CPL is more important at the start to build the hours I need flying cargo or doing whatever else it is I need to get experienced.

My plan is career change to professional pilot. I'm anxious about it because I'll be sacrificing a secure job and a good income to do it at great expense to myself. I've heard nothing but horror stories about how "bad" it is in the first few years of flying for new Canadian pilots.

Like how they force you to work on the ramp and do basic cargo loading jobs without ever being permitted to touch the controls of an airplane and all for basically less than minimum wage when you average out the amount of hours worked versus the pay you get. It sucks, reddit is full of angry, bitter and disillusioned pilots who make it sound like you have to walk barefoot on broken glass to get into the cockpit but I'm choosing to ignore this because flying is something I'd rather be doing than dealing with yet another tedious office job. I'll just have to give myself a reality check that I had it pretty easy and comfortable for the last 10 years of my career and I'm going to have to take my lumps and suffer through a hard time before I reach a level where I get to focus on flying again. If I want it badly enough I'll put up with it and live with it.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 5, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

Like how they force you to work on the ramp and do basic cargo loading jobs without ever being permitted to touch the controls of an airplane and all for basically less than minimum wage when you average out the amount of hours worked versus the pay you get. It sucks, reddit is full of angry, bitter and disillusioned pilots who make it sound like you have to walk barefoot on broken glass to get into the cockpit but I'm choosing to ignore this because flying is something I'd rather be doing than dealing with yet another tedious office job. I'll just have to give myself a reality check that I had it pretty easy and comfortable for the last 10 years of my career and I'm going to have to take my lumps and suffer through a hard time before I reach a level where I get to focus on flying again. If I want it badly enough I'll put up with it and live with it.

A: Don't listen to Reddit. Many forums are full of people who will tell you how much this sucks and how badly you are treated and how it isn't worth it, etc.
B: It's largely true. Fixed wing path is a lot easier, though.
C: Look at the end goal. That's what I'm doing. So, what if it'll take 4-5 years to get to a decent position. It means nothing in the long run. Keep your eyes on the goal, stay positive and motivated and people around you will notice.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

ImplicitAssembler posted:

A: Don't listen to Reddit. Many forums are full of people who will tell you how much this sucks and how badly you are treated and how it isn't worth it, etc.
B: It's largely true. Fixed wing path is a lot easier, though.
C: Look at the end goal. That's what I'm doing. So, what if it'll take 4-5 years to get to a decent position. It means nothing in the long run. Keep your eyes on the goal, stay positive and motivated and people around you will notice.

Yes, I appreciate that. The only thing that would make me give this up is if I fail my medical (and can't fix whatever failed me) or I find myself in a situation where it becomes almost impossible to support myself financially. Really my only regret is I didn't do this when I was like 25.

EDIT: You want to be a helicopter pilot, right?

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

Yes, I appreciate that. The only thing that would make me give this up is if I fail my medical (and can't fix whatever failed me) or I find myself in a situation where it becomes almost impossible to support myself financially. Really my only regret is I didn't do this when I was like 25.

EDIT: You want to be a helicopter pilot, right?

Yeah, passed my CPL in November, but commitments (mortgage, ex-wife, etc) has made it hard to commit to a full time job search, so I'm doing it in short spurts. Have gotten close a couple of times, so I'm still optimistic.
Biggest issue is that I haven't been able to start "Right now!!". One place (which ended up falling through), contacted me on a Friday and asked if I could start Sunday...so right now I'm mostly working on saving up money, so I can take time off for job hunting and cover expenses if I have to run off to Northern AB and can't wait to find a tennant, etc..