Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The Red Ranger Isekai has continued to get updates and honestly the previous chapter introduced a much needed sentai trope to the story.
Mangadex (chapters 1-5)
Manga4Life (chapters 1-7)

Took them long enough to introduce a proper antagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

Didn't he also get "Transmute" or something?

That sounds right; my memory is a bit fuzzy since I didn’t try to keep up with it after mangadex died. He just kept getting more ridiculous powers as he went around with his tree girlfriend and her overprotective guardian.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think that might be two different dull power fantasies.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think that might be two different dull power fantasies.

Yeah. I was thinking he was talking about Arifureta or something, but that's sounds different since I don't recall a tree girlfriend.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Theres one about a protagonist who has a restore skill that only works on like lovely daggers that starts with him leveling it up to the point that it finally works on people so he can save his mortally qounded stasised girlfriend (typing that makes me realize how dumb it is)

But i vaguely appreciated that it didnt instantly becoming a power fantasy but rather instead dude was like. "Hell yeah. I did it. Welp time to just keep on being me because wtf else am i gonna do im like loving thirty now."

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

Yeah. I was thinking he was talking about Arifureta or something, but that's sounds different since I don't recall a tree girlfriend.

If that's "Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou", then no that wasn't the one I was thinking of, but I was reading it which is why it sounds familiar (this is the one that gets real dumb with the MC getting rightfully called out for being a chuunibyou).

The one that I was thinking of is helpfully called "The Unfavourable Job [Appraiser] Is Actually the Strongest - Unsurpassed with the strongest [God's Eye] that was trained in the abyss." which his how you know it's a C-tier power fantasy (though at least it avoids being super edgy).

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

There was one I read that the skill was... Mapping? I think? And the guy legit got a full on minimap in his vision that included all details of where enemies were, perfectly negated all forms of stealth, labeled traps and environmental hazards, found hidden doors and pathways, etc.

And yet the story kept trying to tell you that this was seen as a useless skillset.

Even if he was absolutely incapable of fighting (he was not) that seems like a valuable enough skillset to drag someone along as just a body to solve all ambushes and find hidden treasure and poo poo. Nope!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the rejection followed by endlessly rubbing how great they are in people's faces is a very important part of the fantasy. it's not a very interesting plot device, but at least it beats the revenge fantasies where a former fount of rectitude mc instantly becomes a deranged sadist.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I just want a decent "useless skill" isekai where like, the skill is actually useless for adventuring. Maybe have him go off and be a farmer or some poo poo instead.

instead it's always either "every adventuring group in the goddamn world is too incompetent to use a clearly great skill" or "whoops his skill is actually great for everything once he figures out how it REALLY works"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like the rare subtype where the erroneously maligned skill or whatnot is supposed to be secretly great, but the author can't quite pull that off so it still seems kind of lovely.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

My "favorite" was one where the MC's super-weak skill was Appraisal. And you might be thinking "oh, he's going to be the only person ever to level it up and realize it actually reveals way more than basic information" but nope. Instead he gets his eye replaced with a magic prosthetic that gives him Super Appraisal which includes bullet time and precognition, plus he gets a bunch of combat and magic abilities beaten into him (he also gets the ability to take monster skills).

Oh cool, level up Appraisal enough and it just turns you into MegaMan.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I love when there is an isekai character that is only powerful because they know how optimize their stats in a litrpg world. If there truly was a world where stats were a thing, you can bet that governments would spend a lot of resources researching how to turn a person into a uberbeing, and one lone individual wouldn't be able to compete with them.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
These kinds of "protagonist is the only person who works out how to play the rules of the world" seem to be written by people who are, quite frankly, bad at games. Bad at interpreting the meta. Bad at understanding social dynamics.

What actually happens is that everyone is constantly looking at edge cases and weird synergistic combinations and exploits, a constant red queen race for dominance. Stuff that shonen battles and death games are better at.

fabiopenz
Jun 22, 2015

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I just want a decent "useless skill" isekai where like, the skill is actually useless for adventuring. Maybe have him go off and be a farmer or some poo poo instead.

instead it's always either "every adventuring group in the goddamn world is too incompetent to use a clearly great skill" or "whoops his skill is actually great for everything once he figures out how it REALLY works"

It's not exactly that but there is one where the guy has no combat ability but can buff xp gain so he helps a lot in the backstory but gets fired when he gets too weak to compete with the current monsters. He then starts ruling a territory his party got as a reward for saving a country.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Phobophilia posted:

These kinds of "protagonist is the only person who works out how to play the rules of the world" seem to be written by people who are, quite frankly, bad at games. Bad at interpreting the meta. Bad at understanding social dynamics.

What actually happens is that everyone is constantly looking at edge cases and weird synergistic combinations and exploits, a constant red queen race for dominance. Stuff that shonen battles and death games are better at.

Only Sense Online isn’t great, but one thing I think it succeeds at is writing a reasonable MMO setting. It even has the old “useless skills!” trope, but the shocking reversal is that the useless skills are secretly average and viable, not that they’re OP. The author mentions that they watch Twitch streams to get new ideas.

The fact that it’s actually a VRMMO and not a “game isekai” helps, since lots of players act suboptimally for roleplaying reasons, and there’s a strong anti-meta build culture in the game. Obviously those setting elements would make no sense in a story with higher stakes.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

KittyEmpress posted:

There was one I read that the skill was... Mapping? I think? And the guy legit got a full on minimap in his vision that included all details of where enemies were, perfectly negated all forms of stealth, labeled traps and environmental hazards, found hidden doors and pathways, etc.

And yet the story kept trying to tell you that this was seen as a useless skillset.

Even if he was absolutely incapable of fighting (he was not) that seems like a valuable enough skillset to drag someone along as just a body to solve all ambushes and find hidden treasure and poo poo. Nope!

I've been reading a series that has half of this concept, where Mapping is considered useless because there are better mapping skills that don't keep you from taking other useful skills as well. Only the twist is that his specific kind of Mapping is the only one that works in dungeons.

However it doesn't negate stealth or label traps (at least up to the point where I fell behind on the novels) so he ends up getting trained as a thief because he had minimal combat abilities. The problem with that series was that it spent far too much time retreading the whole "oh woah I'm useless I need to pull my weight" stuff even as the MC boostrapped himself into being a fairly competent asset to the team.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

nrook posted:

Only Sense Online isn’t great, but one thing I think it succeeds at is writing a reasonable MMO setting. It even has the old “useless skills!” trope, but the shocking reversal is that the useless skills are secretly average and viable, not that they’re OP. The author mentions that they watch Twitch streams to get new ideas.

The fact that it’s actually a VRMMO and not a “game isekai” helps, since lots of players act suboptimally for roleplaying reasons, and there’s a strong anti-meta build culture in the game. Obviously those setting elements would make no sense in a story with higher stakes.

As I recall, the biggest flaw with that series was that it refused to commit to one kind of story, so everything comes off as fairly flat. First it's a crafting story, now there's a survival/boss event, now there's a big PVP arc, etc. It definitely dodges the "useless skills are actually op" trope by focusing more on the MC being a trailblazer, and if you read between the lines you'll notice that cool things he's found eventually end up spreading through the greater community like it would in an actual game.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

fabiopenz posted:

It's not exactly that but there is one where the guy has no combat ability but can buff xp gain so he helps a lot in the backstory but gets fired when he gets too weak to compete with the current monsters. He then starts ruling a territory his party got as a reward for saving a country.

that's one's decent, albeit very horny.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I love when there is an isekai character that is only powerful because they know how optimize their stats in a litrpg world. If there truly was a world where stats were a thing, you can bet that governments would spend a lot of resources researching how to turn a person into a uberbeing, and one lone individual wouldn't be able to compete with them.

In that vein there's "My Unique Skill Makes Me OP Even at Level 1", where the MC can't gain xp but has S rank luck. Sadly they kind of quickly toss that concept out the window by introducing a "useless" dungeon that actually happens to drop stat increasing seeds, but only the MC has the luck to make them drop (and he can't give them to other people).

As the manga has progressed he's been slowly grinding up his other stats to S rank, and he's also the only person in the world that has a gun (with magical bullets!).

that's one's decent, albeit very horny.

What's it called?

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

fabiopenz posted:

Nemo2342 posted:

What's it called?

I Was Dismissed from the Hero’s Party Because They Don’t Need My Training Skills, so I Strengthen My [Fief] Which I Got as a Replacement for My Retirement Money.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Someone's being a smartass by saying 65536 instead of 65535 and I'm not happy

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Bad news about most of the farming isekais.

Well sengoku komachi has been nice so far, but it quickly becomes not much about farming.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

farming isekai's almost exclusively being trash is part of why I mentioned it

it's conceptually a really interesting concept that's never gotten close to as good a work as it should imo

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

IShallRiseAgain posted:

"I reincarnated in an RPG and dumped all my points into Charisma because I don't like fighting"

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

M_Gargantua posted:

"I reincarnated in an RPG and dumped all my points into Charisma because I don't like fighting"

and now i have a harem because i'm irresistable

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Pyronic posted:

And also found all the secret skills that let me convert Charisma into every other stat.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’m always surprised by how much I like The Ideal Sponger Life. I guess courtly politics is my jam

fabiopenz
Jun 22, 2015

Clarste posted:

And also found all the secret skills that let me convert Charisma into every other stat.

That's just pathfinder.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's the wn where a guy isekais as his bullshit 3.5 wizard

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Pyronic posted:

This could almost be funny if the MC in it absolutely did not want that to happen.

Ends up throwing themselves out windows to avoid adoring fans etc etc. RPG Rockstar

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I just want a decent "useless skill" isekai where like, the skill is actually useless for adventuring. Maybe have him go off and be a farmer or some poo poo instead."

Its not isekai but theres that one where the main characters whole thing is they just start at a higher level and so eventually they are useless so they get kicked out and end up running a pharmacy. Its not egregious

In that the love interest is extremely powerful i think though so maybe its not exactly right.

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 6, 2021

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Clarste posted:

House rule, you can add your charisma bonus to any action or attack if you make a pun relevant to the action you are performing. I'd read the hell out of that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

This could almost be funny if the MC in it absolutely did not want that to happen.

Ends up throwing themselves out windows to avoid adoring fans etc etc. RPG Rockstar

Its not isekai but theres that one where the main characters whole thing is they just start at a higher level and so eventually they are useless so they get kicked out and end up running a pharmacy. Its not egregious

In that the love interest is extremely powerful i think though so maybe its not exactly right.

eventually his sister shows up and her life goal is schtupping her brother. so, the early parts are not entirely indicative of the later parts.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

ZeusCannon posted:

I mean this kind of happens a garbage series known as "worlds end harem" which is about as good as the title sounds.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

The junk collector posted:

House rule, you can add your charisma bonus to any action or attack if you make a pun relevant to the action you are performing. I'd read the hell out of that.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0390.html Cough, cough.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

thetoughestbean posted:

I’m always surprised by how much I like The Ideal Sponger Life. I guess courtly politics is my jam

Well I ended up binging the hell out of this, so both thank you and curse you because I had planned on getting more sleep tonight.

I really enjoyed how it kind of dodged most of the common tropes I've come to expect from isekais. The MC has modern knowledge, but it isn't enough to instantly bootstrap the country into a new era. He's got some OP magic, but it's taking him years to learn it and in 38 chapters he still hasn't gotten to the point where the magic is relevant as more than a complication. Despite being an isekai protagonist he doesn't suddenly upstage everyone around him, or become some kind of hidden power behind the throne. Heck it takes forever for the harem tag to come into play, and when it does it's for fairly realistic political reasons and not because every woman instantly jump his bones.

that's the wn where a guy isekais as his bullshit 3.5 wizard

Is that "Magic User: Reborn in Another World as a Max Level Wizard" or is there another isekai where someone shows up as their actual D&D character?

eventually his sister shows up and her life goal is schtupping her brother. so, the early parts are not entirely indicative of the later parts.

That's a shame, I was really enjoying his growing relationship with his adventuring buddy.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Bookworm season 3 confirmed for spring 2022

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-08-05/ascendance-of-a-bookworm-anime-season-3-unveils-more-staff-visual-spring-2022-debut/.175931

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nemo2342 posted:

Is that "Magic User: Reborn in Another World as a Max Level Wizard" or is there another isekai where someone shows up as their actual D&D character?

That's a shame, I was really enjoying his growing relationship with his adventuring buddy.

Isekai Munchkin -HP 1 no Mama de Saikyou Saisoku Danjon Kouryaku-

The gimmick is he is stuck as a 1 hp wizard, but in 3.5 D&D, which he knows the rules of and how to abuse them.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Nemo2342 posted:

I really enjoyed how it kind of dodged most of the common tropes I've come to expect from isekais. The MC has modern knowledge, but it isn't enough to instantly bootstrap the country into a new era. He's got some OP magic, but it's taking him years to learn it and in 38 chapters he still hasn't gotten to the point where the magic is relevant as more than a complication. Despite being an isekai protagonist he doesn't suddenly upstage everyone around him, or become some kind of hidden power behind the throne. Heck it takes forever for the harem tag to come into play, and when it does it's for fairly realistic political reasons and not because every woman instantly jump his bones.

Yeah that one is almost entirely a reasonable wholesome story. I was not ready for it to take itself seriously with the court life of a royal consort.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, you wouldn’t expect from chapter 1 (“holy poo poo this extremely hot magic lady wants to marry me”) that it’d be…just, good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Nemo2342 posted:

While technically a character from a VRMMO, the protagonist's character from Overlord is basically a Dungeon and Dragon's character. They even use spells from Dungeons and Dragons. A drama cd also has that character running a D&D game in the Isekai universe.