Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

LukasR23 posted:

i'm sure it will work out great having the author of a mod play their own pretender chassis against me

I wish I had a better understanding of all the icons here.

I know the first few are magic paths and research, but then I assume it's
- tries to observe hannukah with an insufficiently wide menorah
- farts lighting
- can create a rousing bonfire to raise the morale of the comrades
- has green blood for regeneration since chlorophyll in the blood makes sense
- has a golden spider that can make golden webs for the creation of golden silken pantaloons
- either has trample or freespawns two legged elephants
- it's a jellyfish, I have nothing, why is it a jellyfish
- fully observes the hippocratic oath except for the doing harm part
- has their one good eye on a juicy turkey leg
- accompanied by tommy chong who has a bunch of ioun stones...
- and a lei...
- and the moonlight greatsword
- ramc gave themselves 3 gold stars for bee design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I like the Calamity Bee because Calamity Bee is a funny name and I, too, would probably bend godlike power towards trying to Become Huge.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly

Araganzar posted:

I wish I had a better understanding of all the icons here.

I know the first few are magic paths and research, but then I assume it's
- tries to observe hannukah with an insufficiently wide menorah
- farts lighting
- can create a rousing bonfire to raise the morale of the comrades
- has green blood for regeneration since chlorophyll in the blood makes sense
- has a golden spider that can make golden webs for the creation of golden silken pantaloons
- either has trample or freespawns two legged elephants
- it's a jellyfish, I have nothing, why is it a jellyfish
- fully observes the hippocratic oath except for the doing harm part
- has their one good eye on a juicy turkey leg
- accompanied by tommy chong who has a bunch of ioun stones...
- and a lei...
- and the moonlight greatsword
- ramc gave themselves 3 gold stars for bee design

In order:
Blessed (has the blessing of the pretender god. If the candles were unlit, it would indicate that it is Sacred, which could be blessed but isn't at the moment)
Lightning Resistance
Fire Resistance
Poison Resistance (each of these reduces damage from these sources by the amount listed)
Pretender God (is a pretender god)
Trample (automatically attacks units that are smaller than it by moving into their space)
Hover (Immune to spells such as Earthquake)
Recuperation (Recovers from battle afflictions?)
Supply Bonus (Provides additional supplies for its current province, so that big armies don't starve so easily)

Less sure about these ones:
Darkvision (Less affected by darkness, which normally drops your attack/defence/precision)
Void Sanity (harder to drive insane)
Mind Slime (explained earlier, slows units nearby except for Void Sane units)
Wither Weapons (its attacks inflict Decay, which causes a unit to begin rapidly aging 5 years per combat round, which is a death sentence for some and an annoyance for others)
Experience (units in battle gain experience, and gain higher attack, defence, and precision. Three stars is lots for a simple troop, but practically expected for an expander god like this)

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

The_Final_Stand posted:

Hover (Immune to spells such as Earthquake)
Recuperation (Recovers from battle afflictions?)
Darkvision (Less affected by darkness, which normally drops your attack/defence/precision)
Mind Slime (explained earlier, slows units nearby except for Void Sane units)
Wither Weapons (its attacks inflict Decay, which causes a unit to begin rapidly aging 5 years per combat round, which is a death sentence for some and an annoyance for others)

Thanks for the definitions. It feels like this combo above is pretty deadly to anyone without long-lived troops. Is there a way the withering can get applied by AE or is it only on melee attacks? Does hover work in a storm?

The wither weapons is from the levels of Death Magic right? Was that chosen specifically because this game's nations have some very short-lived mages and other units?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Wither Weapons is a death bless, yeah, and there's a vanilla Death 1 spell that causes the same effect. Generally what it's particularly useful for is anyone who relies on "thugs"(i.e. single large commanders intended to be filled with lots of expensive gear) who don't have 1000-year lifetimes OR anyone who relies on their pretender to singlehandedly roll hostile armies. It went badly in a game that happened some months back where someone's super-powered Therodian Sea Dragon ended up with every affliction short of "missing a head" because its age got squeezed into the 5000's by a bunch of Atlantian Witherwep sacreds bopping it over and over.

Another side effect is that every turn, Decay/Withering Weapons also causes a single tick of unresistable, armor-negating damage, which can help a lot against some 30-prot, all-resistances behemoth that might be lacking Regeneration.

It's not much intended for dunking on troops, in my opinion/experience.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
It's also nice on resilient, low-ish damage troops (esp if they have ranged weapons) because it lets them still apply an actual threat compared to their 8 damage longswords or something. It's also very cheap.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

gonadic io posted:

It's also nice on resilient, low-ish damage troops (esp if they have ranged weapons) because it lets them still apply an actual threat compared to their 8 damage longswords or something. It's also very cheap.

Or in this specific case, to 0 damage bee stings. Even if they don't deal damage, withering still has a chance to apply and that's kind of scary.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Wither weapons are also a great gently caress you to a lost battle.

Nothing like watching your troops finish routing, the enemy stands still while bit by bit soldiers collapse into dust and bones. If you tag a mage with it it's a real :sickos: moment.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

LukasR23 posted:

Or in this specific case, to 0 damage bee stings. Even if they don't deal damage, withering still has a chance to apply and that's kind of scary.

This also allows the ubiquitous-but-medicore Ephemeral Guard's spear pokes to levy an existential threat against thugs. Withering isn't applied on trampling though so the Calamity Bee is unlikely to tag anyone with it. It only uses its (nasty) melee attacks against something it cannot trample (other size 6s) in which case it might wither whatever survives 30~ damage claw rakes and stings.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I've seen e.g. one of the TCs take it to apply to their ancestor ghosts also for example.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

One of the things I had going for me in this war is that my troops use good-sized shields. Shield defenses count extra against single-target projectile attacks, which is important when the enemy is firing a million of them at you. The Fire and Shock Resistance part of my bless also made my sacreds more resistant to the rebels with their fire-type-damage shooters (does not help with the acid disruptor blasters, of course). I could move stacks forward with less-than-catastrophic losses under heavy fire.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Has the dommingled mod for this game been posted yet? I cant remember if it actually happened or if it has been posted.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Ramc posted:

This also allows the ubiquitous-but-medicore Ephemeral Guard's spear pokes to levy an existential threat against thugs. Withering isn't applied on trampling though so the Calamity Bee is unlikely to tag anyone with it. It only uses its (nasty) melee attacks against something it cannot trample (other size 6s) in which case it might wither whatever survives 30~ damage claw rakes and stings.

Admittedly, other size 6 beings tend to have the hp to survive a round of 30 damage claws and sting, And they tend to be valuable so being able to wither them is probably a good idea.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I know the answer is "it's Dominions, baby, forget about it!", but how can you hover and trample at the same time? I'm imagining like a giant floating elephant or something, and while it sure is hovering and scary, how does it automatically also trample stuff? It's in the air!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Rappaport posted:

I know the answer is "it's Dominions, baby, forget about it!", but how can you hover and trample at the same time? I'm imagining like a giant floating elephant or something, and while it sure is hovering and scary, how does it automatically also trample stuff? It's in the air!

Think of it as ramming, the bee is not just moving through its directly aiming at the target and trying to plow through them with its body.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
If a hovercraft trampled you, you'd certainly feel it

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

Think of it as ramming, the bee is not just moving through its directly aiming at the target and trying to plow through them with its body.

I will grant that a gigantic bee, no matter what it is doing, is absolutely terrifying, and I would want to get as far away from that thing as possible.

gonadic io posted:

If a hovercraft trampled you, you'd certainly feel it

Isn't that a plot point in Back to the Future? The Delorean can't just "trample" over some other car because it (the Delorean, not the other car) would be torn to shreds? Of course this doesn't apply to a gigantic bee, but I mean the principle of the thing.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Rappaport posted:

I will grant that a gigantic bee, no matter what it is doing, is absolutely terrifying, and I would want to get as far away from that thing as possible.

Talking of, another classic hover-trampler (hampler) is the gigantic clown head:

It even swallows everything it tramples, so in practice I imagine it zooming around the battlefield 1 foot off the ground with its mouth wiiiide open like some kind of terrifying clown bullcatcher

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 5, 2021

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Alright, I could imagine Pennywise could both hover and then trample when it so chooses. My bad, folks.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

AtomikKrab posted:

in my head the bee hovers around and then just straight body-checks into columns of soldiers tripping on hallucinatory dream pollen, leaving giant furrows in the earth like its a dang meteor. Then it picks itself up, shakes off the dirt and gore and repeats as necessary. Mix in some just running around like an Ohmu in Nausicaa Valley of the Wind to taste.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Rappaport posted:

Of course this doesn't apply to a gigantic bee, but

good alt title for a modding thread

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

Donkringel posted:

Has the dommingled mod for this game been posted yet? I cant remember if it actually happened or if it has been posted.

It exists on the ruby discord, but I can upload it and post a link if it people would rather have easy access. It’s… still got a few bugs though, and you’re better off just playing with the mods you wanted to experiment with - especially as the AI has no idea what they’re doing with a lot of these.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

LukasR23 posted:

It exists on the ruby discord, but I can upload it and post a link if it people would rather have easy access. It’s… still got a few bugs though, and you’re better off just playing with the mods you wanted to experiment with - especially as the AI has no idea what they’re doing with a lot of these.

The Ai has no idea what it is doing in BASE dominions.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Domingling is not too bad, the main hard part is if you want nations from 2 big packs you have to remove them which is a loving pain. If you have standalone nations or only one big pack it takes like 2 mins.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

AtomikKrab posted:

The Ai has no idea what it is doing in BASE dominions.

The AI cannot effectively play EA Cassia because it is mortally afraid of moving homesick troops out of their home province.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
I kind of want to give the regular army to an AI and see what it does. I’m going to bet “not much” even if you give it the right god.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

OOrochi posted:

Yeah, infiltration would put me on guard a bit, especially if only one neighbor has spies, but I wouldn't think of it as a prelude to war. More as just a reason to check in on anyone that could be spying on me.
Generally agreed. If I was the person being spied on, I'd try to kill the spy (because I don't want anyone else to have access to any important information, especially about me, without my permission), but I'd leave it at that unless I'm already planning a war with the guy who's spying on me because there're more important things to worry about in a strategy game than disproportionate retribution for someone trespassing in my territory.

LukasR23 posted:

It’s… still got a few bugs though
Yes, we see this. I mean, people have been talking about the mechanics of a stupidly huge bug having both hovering and trample. :v:

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Unless they're mages, spies don't get the magic graphs, only provinces/army size/income. Income is pretty much a function of provinces, which are visible with just plain scouts, so this doesn't give them that much real information. It's often not really worth the turns to try and patrol out a spy imo, even if you will also probably catch a bunch of random scouts along the way.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Arcvasti posted:

Unless they're mages, spies don't get the magic graphs, only provinces/army size/income. Income is pretty much a function of provinces, which are visible with just plain scouts, so this doesn't give them that much real information. It's often not really worth the turns to try and patrol out a spy imo, even if you will also probably catch a bunch of random scouts along the way.

Even with those limitations I'd still like to avoid being spied on, even aside from the principle of the matter.

Getting province information means they'd know exactly how big my territory is even if they can't see it all. Income gives them a general idea of the average quality of my territory, from which they can estimate how quickly I can reinforce. And army size, of course, will give them an approximation of how strong my military is, which is what I'd really like to keep secret because one bad battle could lead them to decide "this guy just got rekt, now's a good time to take advantage of that!"

In short, I want to avoid being spied on because I don't want them to know when I'm weakened. It's kinda hard to bluff your way out of a bad situation if the other guy knows you're bluffing, after all.

Besides, unless I find the spy I won't know what kind of magic they've got on it, will I? Probably marginally safer to just assume all spies are mages until proven otherwise and work from there.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Well you'll know if they're a mage due to the nations in the game since few even have spies to begin with. The only one I can think of off the top of my head actually is MA man's bard. If you lose a devastating battle everyone will know about it anyway since it'll probably be posted in the game's discord channel, like you said usually in an effort to get other people to jump them. I'd still probably try to patrol it out if I knew it was there but you can usually assume there's multiple nation's scouts on your cap and thrones at most times.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Sometimes people just find magic sites that give them graphs too. What can you do?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Arcvasti posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't realize mage spy's reveal magic graphs. Til.

Although I would be super tempted just to use any of those units as researchers.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Generally I'd say try and get rid of them ASAP because people love passing around graphs to try and make diplo things happen - pointing out just how high someone's province or income graph is happens to be a great way to help form coalitions.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Well you'll know if they're a mage due to the nations in the game since few even have spies to begin with. The only one I can think of off the top of my head actually is MA man's bard.

There's actually a fair few scattered around. Just in MA, Eriu shares the same recruitable Bard with Man, and Na'ba, Shinuyama, Caelum and T'ien Ch'i all have summonable magic spies. Ulm, Marignon and T'ien Ch'i also get recruitable normal spies, and Machaka gets a recruitable sacred spy - and they can theoretically prophetize one to get more graphs.

For LA, Man keeps having a recruitable magic spy but Ulm and Bogarus join that group, and many of the successor nations to MA keep their summonable ones.

EA's the most deficient, with only Ubar having a recruitable magic spy in the Shaytan, and many of the predecessors to the MA nations with summonable ones don't have the summon in EA (only Caelum does).

So really, once you get a bit into the game, then unless you're in EA there's a fair few nations that could be spying on you - and even getting all your graphs. Incidentally, this does mean that if you ARE in EA and think you're getting spied on, pray you have Spirit Sight and can patrol it out immediately - because Shaytan also have Corruptor, the improved version of Seducer.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 6, 2021

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Well you'll know if they're a mage due to the nations in the game since few even have spies to begin with. The only one I can think of off the top of my head actually is MA man's bard. If you lose a devastating battle everyone will know about it anyway since it'll probably be posted in the game's discord channel, like you said usually in an effort to get other people to jump them. I'd still probably try to patrol it out if I knew it was there but you can usually assume there's multiple nation's scouts on your cap and thrones at most times.

Even if they don't have recruitable mage spies by default I'd still be worried about whether they'd taught a spy magic specifically to check my research levels. Which may or may not be paranoid of me, depending on what else they could use the gems for.

That said, I'll admit that from what I've seen, teaching magic is not something you should do lightly since it takes so many gems to do, so I'm probably being a bit overly paranoid there. Still, it's less paranoid if everyone's really out to get me (only edging into paranoia when I suspect approaches that would be legitimately bad ideas if they fail, like blowing about a hundred gems on magic spies), and it wouldn't surprise me all that much if someone tried it at some point specifically because nobody would expect anyone to waste their gems like that.

...Has anyone here ever seen a spy with magic that it didn't start with? Because now I'm curious about whether anyone's actually tried that.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I would just destroy everyone before they could spy on me, simple solution.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
it would be kind of a waste of gems, since it costs 50 gems to empower a non-magic unit with their first magic path, and 50 gems to cast Eyes of God which gives you access to everyone's graphs and also lets you see every province in the game.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

I would just destroy everyone before they could spy on me, simple solution.

"Simple" he says... The one thing I'm sure of is that unless you're using some kind of immune-to-everything cheat unit, you can't just wipe everyone out instantly, which means they're gonna have a chance to get spies into your territory. And there's no way anyone would let you use cheat units in online games, so you'll never be using them, which, in turn, means you will always have to deal with the spies so saying "they won't last long enough to spy" is nothing but empty boasting.

a computing pun posted:

it would be kind of a waste of gems, since it costs 50 gems to empower a non-magic unit with their first magic path, and 50 gems to cast Eyes of God which gives you access to everyone's graphs and also lets you see every province in the game.

That sounds... pretty powerful. As in, powerful enough that I'd expect there to be some kind of countermeasure aimed at removing that spell. Which, in turn, gives teaching a spy magic the advantage of being immune to that countermeasure.

Plus there're the questions of "what if you don't have the right kind of gems to cast Eyes of God?" and "what if you don't have anyone capable of casting it?"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

CptWedgie posted:

"Simple" he says... The one thing I'm sure of is that unless you're using some kind of immune-to-everything cheat unit, you can't just wipe everyone out instantly, which means they're gonna have a chance to get spies into your territory. And there's no way anyone would let you use cheat units in online games, so you'll never be using them, which, in turn, means you will always have to deal with the spies so saying "they won't last long enough to spy" is nothing but empty boasting.

That's exactly what someone would say if it wasn't simple for them to annihilate all opposition.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly

CptWedgie posted:

That sounds... pretty powerful. As in, powerful enough that I'd expect there to be some kind of countermeasure aimed at removing that spell. Which, in turn, gives teaching a spy magic the advantage of being immune to that countermeasure.

Plus there're the questions of "what if you don't have the right kind of gems to cast Eyes of God?" and "what if you don't have anyone capable of casting it?"

There is, in fact, a specific counter-spell to Eyes of God. Most Global spells can only be removed with the Dispel ritual, or by casting another global when there aren't any slots left (which randomly picks one to attempt to dispel), both of which require that you put at least as many extra gems into it aswent into the original Global.

Eyes of God, however, in addition to that, has the spell Fate of Oedipus, which has a set cost, ends Eyes, and blinds the original caster in to the bargain, preventing them from casting it again unless healed.

That said, the counterplay to spies is pretty much just "patrol more", if I understand it correctly, which anyone can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019

a computing pun posted:

And there’s a ten gem way to see someone’s graphs in astral. It’s not efficient by any means, but it’s still cheaper than 50 gems wasted on a suicide unit.