Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

RC and Moon Pie posted:

So this just happened in St. Louis

https://twitter.com/BravesOnBally/status/1423483974882668544

And that's leaving out the part where the Cardinals had a 4-2 lead with 2 outs before surrendering a 2-run laser by Austin Riley.

Crossposting this from the gameday thread because this thread deserves to marvel at how dumb that inning was. Braves top of the 8th inning, losing 4-2 to the Cardinals:

Groundout
Flyout
Single
Homerun (2 runs)
Double

Pitching Change

HBP
Walk
Walk (1 run)
Walk (1 run)
Walk (1 run)

Pitching Change

Walk (1 run)
Lineout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Apparently the Cards are two shy of the all time batters walked in record in early August. Godspeed, fellas.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

wow it seems the cardinals really suck, would be terrible to be them (cubs trout out lineup of dwigts rortugal and todd bonzalezes)

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The front office is planning on sticking Reyes into the rotation next year!

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
The Atlanta Braves are now a game over .500.

The Braves have not gone below 5 games under .500 this season (and were only 5 under once) and it took 109 games to get above .500 once. Now 1-7 in games played with a .500 record for the season.

1.5 games back in the NL East. Time to mediocre our way to winning the division, hell yeah.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Opposing teams have finally cottoned on to the secret with Reyes, which is that if you just never swing he'll walk you like 90% of the time.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

kaworu posted:

Another incredibly cool thing about this game is that both teams are going to be wearing awesome early 20th century uniforms from their respective teams that look like this:

Goddamn those are slick, though I could do without the Nike swoosh. I love those early White Sox uniforms especially - I always think of them as "Black Sox" jerseys, though admittedly that's appropriate I guess.

I only just noticed the hats and they are both upsetting me for different reasons.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I kinda love that seemingly big rear end oversized logo hat. Maybe time for a new one.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

R.D. Mangles posted:

wow it seems the cardinals really suck, would be terrible to be them (cubs trout out lineup of dwigts rortugal and todd bonzalezes)

gonna say i really like "trout out", that should stick around

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Judge's hands are enormous

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Comedy Central is back. No teams are allowed to be good unless they acquire fairy dust or the Pirates win the division accidentally

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Intruder posted:

Judge's hands are enormous

Everything about him is enormous. He's all the goon baseball players from the Bugs Bunny cartoons.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'd expect those dudes to have similar vax opinions, checks out.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
does anyone know when the 2022 MiLB schedule is released? or, at least, approximate dates when they might start/end the season?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

RC and Moon Pie posted:

And that's leaving out the part where the Cardinals had a 4-2 lead with 2 outs before surrendering a 2-run laser by Austin Riley.

I posted this a long time ago but a "good" closer with an 8 BB9 is TOTALLY SUSTAINABLE.

Mike_V posted:

The front office is planning on sticking Reyes into the rotation next year!

I'm actually fine with this but the entire loving team has a BB9 problem. Allergic to throwing strikes or afraid that hitters are going to make good contact. Something needs to change.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Definitely the nadir of the season, of course we didn’t make any moves to sell at the deadline because?????

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Definitely the nadir of the season, of course we didn’t make any moves to sell at the deadline because?????

The team has Nolan (probably) and Goldy with Bader/Carlson/O'Neill looking good for next year. Who were they selling? This team NEVER puts itself in position for a sell off under Mo.

Jack/Hudson/CMart/Hicks/Mikolas all went down with super long term injuries and our outfield was hosed with two Bader injuries for the first half of the season.

They weren't going to sell Cabrera (free agent in 2026) or Gallegos (free agent in 2025) when they fully expect to compete for the division next season. There is nobody else to sell. The entire starting rotation plus probably our second best reliever went down. It's a lost season.

NOW, that being said, they did NOTHING to alleviate any of this. They knew they needed another quality starter and didn't get one. They knew they needed a bench bat outfielder (or good bat utility infielder) and didn't get one. The FO knew they were one or two injuries away from being entirely boned and instead they got 5+ injuries and they SUCK.

Instead they let let Wong go to save $10m. (Edman could have been the full utility guy for when injuries happened). Instead we gave Justin Williams 160 PA's (50 OPS+). Carpenter gets 200 PA's (80 OPS+ and terrible defense). Lane Thomas gets 60 PA's (13 OPS+).

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I’m aware what their reasoning is but the roster, as constructed currently, is a bad hodgepodge. I know they never sell because their ethos doesn’t permit it but it’s been brutal for the past few months and it’s just getting worse. This whole series has been exhibit A for that

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I’m aware what their reasoning is but the roster, as constructed currently, is a bad hodgepodge. I know they never sell because their ethos doesn’t permit it but it’s been brutal for the past few months and it’s just getting worse. This whole series has been exhibit A for that

I totally agree. And I expect it to get worse. I've never seen a franchise tell their fans their season was over by buying up two washed up 70 year old pitchers to eat innings at the deadline. It's crazy. I'm not mad they didn't sell. But I am mad about the pre-season hodgepodge of a roster. They knew they needed more pieces. And they refused to acknowledge it.

Just hope Jack/Hicks/Hudson come back healthy next year. And hope this outfield continues to blossom and grow. They could be a ton of fun to watch (and they are now actually). Carp is off the books (18m), CMart is off the books (11m), and Andrew Miller is off the books (12m). I'd love to see Waino back (lol) but I know that comes with Yadi and god drat his bat is just loving gone and there's NO WAY he will say "yea, I can split time with Kniz." They can afford to go out and get 2-3 pieces to help this team.

I say all this when we won't have a season next year :suicide:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The Cardinals aren't going to be good until there is a change in front office philosophy. They're going to linger around 78-84 wins and ownership will wonder why attendance is waning.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Mike_V posted:

The Cardinals aren't going to be good until there is a change in front office philosophy. They're going to linger around 78-84 wins and ownership will wonder why attendance is waning.

This season sure. But before that they've been under 84 wins once in Mo's tenure. Sure this current team isn't championship worthy. But literally add 2-3 pieces which they can absolutely afford and get the rotation back and it's competing for the division and then everyone knows anything can happen.

The team was like 30-22 and then lost Jack forever and Bader for the second time and then just continued to lose pieces. If they have back to back 78-84 wins (this year and next) Mo is gone. The 2014-2019 years weren't good enough to justify keeping him around any longer. Next year can be promising if they are allowed to spend some money that freed up.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

The Jays home run jacket is so cheesy. I love it!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I dunno how you don't make it white

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

It fuckin rules so hard

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Alex Rayes was a loving all-star this year god drat hahahahaa

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Blue jacket's got nothing on a laundry-cart ride through the dugout :colbert:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Julio Cruz posted:

does anyone know when the 2022 MiLB schedule is released? or, at least, approximate dates when they might start/end the season?

We likely won't have those schedules until shortly before the season. As far as likely start/end dates you can just look at what they were this year and it'll probably be pretty much the same.

or there won't be a season at all because of a lockout

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Preliminary 2022 schedules were announced this week

https://twitter.com/DodgerInsider/status/1422987481868247041

but as noted we should expect a labor fight next year so take these with a heaping of salt

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Tayter Swift posted:

Alex Rayes was a loving all-star this year god drat hahahahaa

Through June (when All-Star voting ended): .505 OPS against, a 0.96 ERA, and was 20/20 on save opportunities (with a 7.2 BB9 :banjo:)

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
the jacket is the wholesome version of the cool big rear end padres spinning chain

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

funniest thing you will see in any given day is the cubs starting lineup https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1423677956128481284?s=19

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Respect Our NEIGHBORHOOD

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Through June (when All-Star voting ended): .505 OPS against, a 0.96 ERA, and was 20/20 on save opportunities (with a 7.2 BB9 :banjo:)

And he did it with the same BB problems he has now. It's just that somehow

Sydin posted:

Opposing teams have finally cottoned on to the secret with Reyes, which is that if you just never swing he'll walk you like 90% of the time.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

We likely won't have those schedules until shortly before the season. As far as likely start/end dates you can just look at what they were this year and it'll probably be pretty much the same.

or there won't be a season at all because of a lockout

yeah that's what I ended up doing for a ballpark guess (pun intended)

though I forgot about the possibility of a labor stoppage next year so my half-planned definitely-going-to-happen-someday-I-swear baseball road trip may have to wait till 2023 :sigh:

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
The Athletic dropped a rundown on Minor Leaguers' financial woes yesterday. loving shameful.

https://theathletic.com/2750280/2021/08/05/cockroaches-car-camping-poverty-wages-why-are-minor-leaguers-living-in-squalor/

quote:

Dan Rizzi, who retired earlier this summer after 5 1/2 years with the Mets organization, said in 2019 he had three different leases he was responsible for. This year, he spent weeks living in a hotel because he and several friends couldn’t find anything in their budget. They’d spend hours before or after games looking at places, worrying about where they’d sleep, instead of playing baseball.

“Just the overall mental warfare in your head that goes through, you are making less money than you are going to spend,” Kelso said. “That weighs heavy on guys.”

A current Triple-A player said he was so stressed out about housing during his first two years in the Orioles organization, he was prescribed medication for stomach ulcers. A Diamondbacks minor leaguer said this winter he failed a stress test.

The whole article is just awful.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

If a player accepts the qualifying offer one year deal; are there any limitations on trading him in the same off-season, like at the winter meetings?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
If one thing comes out of the CBA I hope it's an entire overhaul of the minor league system and team control after draft.

I know this is an extreme case, but Tommy Pham was drafted in 2006 and has never been a free agent.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Respect Our NEIGHBORHOOD

That slogan sounds like they're just asking visiting teams to not leave too big of a mess.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Respect Our NEIGHBORHOOD

KEEP OFF THE GRASS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

Preliminary 2022 schedules were announced this week

https://twitter.com/DodgerInsider/status/1422987481868247041

but as noted we should expect a labor fight next year so take these with a heaping of salt

oh I didn't realize they came out so early, I feel like when I looked in the past they weren't out until right before the season