Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Haha I ran up into melee really quick and now you don't know what to do and oh what's this your pants fell down and you tripped and fell off a ledge get good idiot.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The Mega Drive, and by the way get out of here with that Genesis poo poo, it was already taken by both The Bible and Phil Collins, anyway, The Mega Drive was a classy console, much cooler than nintendo and thats with the caveat that sonic games aren't great.

Despite that being able to plug sonic and knuckles and sonic 3 together was still cooler than literally anything on the snes

As a MegaDrive kid, I have to say that it's reputation of being the console of latchkey kids who think knives are cool is somewhat true. I'm a grown man now and know that it's actually swords that are cool.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

fridge corn posted:

If Phil collins is the mega drive then peter gabriel is the snes

Can confirm

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Disco Pope posted:

As a MegaDrive kid, I have to say that it's reputation of being the console of latchkey kids who think knives are cool is somewhat true. I'm a grown man now and know that it's actually swords that are cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXtrwkdSkow

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
If Demon Souls is Pablo Honey then dark souls 2 is the under appreciated Kid A

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Zil posted:

The game Sacrifice needs a reboot and maybe a few expansions. Loved that world that Shiny built.

What is a life, without any strife?!

Yeah, that game was excellent. For some reason I have it and "Giants: citizen Kabuto" paired in my head. It was really like I was taking crazy pills when that game "Evolve" came out, and not one single review anywhere ever mentioned Giants: CK, it was like it never existed. That game was cool as gently caress, too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

More poo poo should plug together in modern tech imo

Is VR not good enough for you?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Barudak posted:

Is VR not good enough for you?

No, I'm a poor

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Zil posted:

The game Sacrifice needs a reboot and maybe a few expansions. Loved that world that Shiny built.

I remember getting it for christmas as a kid and being so hyped to play it when getting home from the christmas party. I was glued to the manual for the entire evening! I had never heard of it before but the design looked so cool for everything!

For once, the game lived up to my childish hype and was absolutely amazing and still holds a dear place in my heart :3:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

fridge corn posted:

The mega drive sucks and so does Phil collins

How dare you come into this thread with this anti-Phil Collins blasphemy? :argh:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Prog genesis and Phil Collins led pop genesis are both good

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

If Demon Souls is Pablo Honey then dark souls 2 is the under appreciated Kid A

Kings Field is Pablo Honey. Demons'ses Souls is The Bends.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm also feeling a little angry about the Phil Collins hate

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I'm also feeling a little angry about the Phil Collins hate
(Oh lord)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sally posted:

Kings Field is Pablo Honey. Demons'ses Souls is The Bends.

Demons Souls-meet the Beatles
Dark Souls-Revolver
Dark Souls 2- your drunk uncle playing Beatles Rock Band but doing a surprisingly good job.
Bloodborne-Sgt peppers lonely hearts club
Dark Souls 3- Let it Be
Sekiro-Reign in Blood

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Vic posted:

(Oh lord)

Yeah, hating on Phil Collins is kind of Dumb. DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DU-DU-DU-DU DUMB DUMB.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

In Europe, the Megadrive was better unless you didn't mind all of the SNES' best games coming out years late or not at all.

The SNES is well known for its JRPGs, so comparing what you got in Europe, you had the entire Phantasy Star and Shining series Vs ...Mystic Quest?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

In Europe, the Megadrive was better unless you didn't mind all of the SNES' best games coming out years late or not at all.

I never owned either, so what games are you talking about?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Europe got Terranigma too at least

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That loving Sned posted:

The SNES is well known for its JRPGs, so comparing what you got in Europe, you had the entire Phantasy Star and Shining series Vs ...Mystic Quest?

Europeans don't play video games, how would they hold a controller when their arms are already full of baguettes and vespas?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

QuarkJets posted:

Europeans don't play video games, how would they hold a controller when their arms are already full of baguettes and vespas?

We kind of don't, really. Like I remember on my Nintendo 3DS, and it's got this thing where when you walk past someone else with one, it automatically swaps data with them, and you get their mii thing showing up when you next load up. I think it's quite generous with the distance.

Walking round London and Rome with it, some days I'd meet new people. Went to Japan, day one, 300 new hits. And like, yeah, I get that that's kind of unfair, but I'd actually see like mums with their kids on public transport playing their 3ds. I've literally never seen anyone else in Europe (I mean mostly England, but still) with one.

And, this is super anecdotal and super... Niche, but, it does feel pretty representative.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have never seen a person playing a 3DS or Switch or whatever in person, ever. In the US at least.

Actually that’s not true I think I’ve seen a kid playing a 3DS at an airport once or twice. People play games on their phones a LOT though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

That loving Sned posted:

terranigma :colbert:

did you guys not get like landstalker on the genesis. well i guess if you wanted to sell pal-region games you needed a bunch of translations and different printings to get the same sales as you would see in 'murica... sad story.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 8, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only time street pass worked for me in the US was at the airport. Even on train rides I wouldn't get any hits and gave up on it

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Dark Souls 1 is David Lee Roth

Dark Souls 2 and 3 are Sammy Hagar

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Dark souls 1 is my penis
Dark souls 2 is my taint
Dark souls 3 is my butthole

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

runnypoops posted:

Dark souls 1 is my penis
Dark souls 2 is my taint
Dark souls 3 is my butthole

Sorry that your butthole has no poise

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Just beat Majora's Mask for the first time, managed to unlock everything without any sort of walkthroughs. The n64 Zelda games are probably the best games ever made, and you losers who whine about them can go suck a dog.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.

QuarkJets posted:

Sorry that your butthole has no poise

Lol

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

DildenAnders posted:

Just beat Majora's Mask for the first time, managed to unlock everything without any sort of walkthroughs. The n64 Zelda games are probably the best games ever made, and you losers who whine about them can go suck a dog.

majora has probably the best design when it comes to collecting everything. even most of the heart pieces were interesting to get.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Easy, we played on mouse and keyboard or one-button joysticks where you had to push up to jump.

Microcomputers just gave us more time to appreciate fine arts and wine tasting as it spends minutes producing horrible sounds and seizure-inducing patterns trying to load data from magnetic media.

This was actually a few years before my time

E: Majora's Mask is fantastic. There's so much you can do at any time and it's so satisfying to get as much as you could out of each 3-day cycle. Sometimes I start a dungeon on day 2 or 3 just to make it more exciting, but thankfully getting the dungeon item means you won't have to replay the first half of the dungeon if you have to reset time.

The reason we don't see more games like Majora's Mask or Metroid Prime 2 is that Nintendo usually just releases one new entry in each series for each console. They have to be the most vanilla game possible because it's likely to be the player's first and only game in that series available to them. MM and MP2 can be so different because they're supposed to be played after beating the previous game.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Aug 8, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
PAL regions infamously didn't get Earthbound or Super Mario RPG, at the very least.

For some reason, I barely saw any Mega Man stuff in Australia when I was a kid either. I'm not sure if I just missed that or what.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I only knew like one person who had a console until the Playstation. Everyone had C64 or Amiga or PC.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

We had borrowed some knockoff famicom "Family Game" with 4 in 1 cartridges.

That version of super mario had level select on title screen.

I wonder if The Kick Master ever made it into the US :smuggo:

Vic fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 8, 2021

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I had a nintendo and super nintendo. They were very common. Sega too. This was in Sweden

Who the hell knows what even goes on in the rest of Europe. A bunch of hosed up weirdos out there if you ask me

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Over here if you have a nintendo everyone call you nintendo.
You have sega everyone call you sega.
You have commodore nobody call you.
You have bicycle it get stolen.

Such is 90s

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My house skipped straight from a ZX Spectrum (+2! built-in tape player!) to a Megadrive. It was astounding to our tiny minds. The colours!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Regional success has always been a major factor in the console wars, I'm pretty sure. The Sega Master System seems little-known in the US but was apparently big in Europe, and the Playstation kinda took over that position after Sega left the console market. Of course, the Xbox has always had its most success in the US market, while famously struggling to sell in Japan.

I don't remember the console wars being much of a real thing in practice. Most people I find will gladly play whatever's on offer, all the more because it's something new, and you don't have to pay for it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Regional success has always been a major factor in the console wars, I'm pretty sure. The Sega Master System seems little-known in the US but was apparently big in Europe, and the Playstation kinda took over that position after Sega left the console market. Of course, the Xbox has always had its most success in the US market, while famously struggling to sell in Japan.

I don't remember the console wars being much of a real thing in practice. Most people I find will gladly play whatever's on offer, all the more because it's something new, and you don't have to pay for it yourself.

Well honestly the console wars seem to entirely be the aggressive SEGA ad campaign in the US.