Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Kibayasu posted:

I see way too many people trying to live after putting C4 on a tank and then dying for no gain. An honorable death.

Knowing when to sacrifice yourself for the greater good and when you can get away is an art form.

And I, a Support main, have become quite the artist.

:getin:

One of my fondest memories in BF4 was blowing up a tank and an LAV with 3 sticks of C4... at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

codo27 posted:

Ragdoll is nice but I want full on gore, guts and brains and everything going everywhere. Its fuckin war not fortnite (which should also have detailed gore effects)

https://i.imgur.com/Qec25D6.mp4

Battlefield has never and likely won't ever have that level of gore because it's not a realistic shooter and aims to sacrifice features like that that no one really cares about for gameplay features.

Might as well take out reviving if gore of that level is in? Get killed by a vehicle? No revive. Get your headpopped off? No revive. Is it more realistic? Sure but is it more fun? Personally no

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I think if you get bayonet charged you can't be revived in Battlefield One. The ultimate dishonor

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Propaganda Hour posted:

I think if you get bayonet charged you can't be revived in Battlefield One. The ultimate dishonor

Incendiary grenades and sniper headshots too.

Used to burn bodies to tank try hards KDR

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Know it'll never happen but I'd like to see an ultimate hardcore mode that was realistic as can be. Says me, the most careless, Rambo, Leroy Jenkins player you'll ever know

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

I mean you could just go play arma 3? That’s supposed to have a pretty active community

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Oh hey, any Xbox goons. I will be on around 10:30pm CST this evening with a buddy playing BF1, hit me up if you want a squad

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

codo27 posted:

Ragdoll is nice but I want full on gore, guts and brains and everything going everywhere. Its fuckin war not fortnite (which should also have detailed gore effects)

https://i.imgur.com/Qec25D6.mp4

Tank was empty, you just missed maximum hilarity.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

codo27 posted:

Know it'll never happen but I'd like to see an ultimate hardcore mode that was realistic as can be. Says me, the most careless, Rambo, Leroy Jenkins player you'll ever know

Rising Storm might be up yer alley

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

codo27 posted:

It won't in Battlefield but there are other games

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

jisforjosh posted:

It won't in Battlefield but there are other games

Yeah, that's more of an ARMA type thing, or if you don't want to deal with the nightmare of applying to join a milsim group through some archaic hacked up forum interface in order to be able to play the game, something like Squad is a good substitute.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Correct! It counts as a knife/melee kill so no revives for you.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah, that's more of an ARMA type thing, or if you don't want to deal with the nightmare of applying to join a milsim group through some archaic hacked up forum interface in order to be able to play the game, something like Squad is a good substitute.

Joining a forum run by a hacked together code and populated by obsessive weirdos does sound like a nightmare.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Regrowing dismembered limbs back if you get revived is a good idea if they never mention how it works

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

codo27 posted:

For a tank C4 kill, any man would give his only begotten son

You have to decide if you have an exit or not before you slap the first one on there and then accept your fate either way

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Inspector Hound posted:

You have to decide if you have an exit or not before you slap the first one on there and then accept your fate either way

The only true exit is death by fiery deflagration

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Kibayasu posted:

I see way too many people trying to live after putting C4 on a tank and then dying for no gain. An honorable death.

Blessed be the limpet death

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I’m back on bf1 and it still fuckin slaps

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

rap music posted:

can confirm the chauchat is in bf1

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

explosivo posted:

You can but from what I can tell the other people in my squad don't get queued until I as the host get into the server. It's not a big deal at all my friend was just being unnecessarily precious about his time but I just wanted to know how people typically did it.

Dead Like Rev posted:

Yes and no. A.) The other people have to appear online within origin and be able to be seen and invited. B.) as said above you have to be in the squad, get INTO the server and only then does it prompt them to join said server. If you sit in a 10 person deep queue they just sit there with their thumb up their rear end going "Huh whats going on"
While I like that Origin has the "join on friends" functionality that steam does that in theory should put you in the same server and squad, I found it breaks so often that we just end up telling people the server name in discord and asking them to search for it and then manually trying to team and squad up, like the good old BF2 days.

codo27 posted:

Propaganda Hour posted:

IIRC in BF2 it was roadkills and artillery you couldn't be revived from, right? I feel like they keep changing this up every BF game.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 7, 2021

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

rap music posted:

Was on last night and yeah, it is still insanely good

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Was there anything that kept you from a revive in BF4? I know you still get immediately sent to the deploy screen if you die immediately after a rev but I don't ever recall anything specifically denying it (outside of obvious stuff like vehicle deaths or being in the water)

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Aces High posted:

Was there anything that kept you from a revive in BF4? I know you still get immediately sent to the deploy screen if you die immediately after a rev but I don't ever recall anything specifically denying it (outside of obvious stuff like vehicle deaths or being in the water)

Maybe being under something, or a building collapse. I think I've revived people laying in flaming rubble/exploded barrel puddles?

Supaflywallace
Jan 3, 2020
Just played some Bfv for the first time... It feels weird? The gunfire sounds very clicky for lack of a better word and the flow of gameplay feels kinda less satisfying than BF1. Although I have only started in fairness.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Supaflywallace posted:

Just played some Bfv for the first time... It feels weird? The gunfire sounds very clicky for lack of a better word and the flow of gameplay feels kinda less satisfying than BF1. Although I have only started in fairness.

idk what the gunplay is like now, I dropped once they started messing with overall ttk balance.

But gameplay flow feeling worse is probably:

A.) Bad, Limited number of Maps.

B.) Medics getting slotted into short-midrange, and having their *general* utility nerfed with squad revives.

C.) Assault being competitive at all ranges, AND being anti tank.

D.) Removal of 3d spotting and the removal of their persistent mini map spotting ability making Recon less useful when played aggressively, and also safer to hillwook as in general.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Infidelicious posted:

idk what the gunplay is like now, I dropped once they started messing with overall ttk balance.

But gameplay flow feeling worse is probably:

A.) Bad, Limited number of Maps.

B.) Medics getting slotted into short-midrange, and having their *general* utility nerfed with squad revives.

C.) Assault being competitive at all ranges, AND being anti tank.

D.) Removal of 3d spotting and the removal of their persistent mini map spotting ability making Recon less useful when played aggressively, and also safer to hillwook as in general.

Gunplay is pretty drat solid near and TTK is almost exactly as it was at launch save for a few guns

Medics being given short-midrange weapons works IMO since they're supposed to be in the thick of it tossing smokes, medpacks, and reviving. BF1 felt off at times to be using a long ranged rifle that could 3 shot people at any range

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Medics using MP18s and Automaticos with Assaults using Mondragons and Cei-Rigottis

I wonder if that would get more medics being aggressive

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

jisforjosh posted:

Medics being given short-midrange weapons works IMO since they're supposed to be in the thick of it tossing smokes, medpacks, and reviving. BF1 felt off at times to be using a long ranged rifle that could 3 shot people at any range

I get that idea in theory.

But in practice nobody was forcing you to go RSC / Howell / Sleb as a medic... the Federov / Auto 8.25 / 8.35 and 1907 Auto are perfectly serviceable CQB / mid range weapons.

But if the map was say... wide open ( like Hamada, Panzerstorm, Aerodrome, parts of the mountain map in BFV are), and not a clusterfuck where you're constantly reviving people in a chokepoint, you could pick a different rifle and contribute at mid / long range.

It's why the only other bf game to try and force this dynamic was 1942, which notably didn't have revives or squad spawns, so the self heal was extremely valuable in long range fights.

Once gameplay started revolving around revives in BF2, discouraging people playing medic by making them unable to meaningfully contribute past a certain range is seen as negative.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 7, 2021

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
RSC is insanely good at close range too. two hit kill with a semi auto is fairly unbeatable

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Bohemian Nights posted:

RSC is insanely good at close range too. two hit kill with a semi auto is fairly unbeatable

It is if you can always two off every time, but it gets fraught if you gently caress it up.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Infidelicious posted:

But if the map was say... wide open ( like Hamada, Panzerstorm, Aerodrome, parts of the mountain map in BFV are), and not a clusterfuck where you're constantly reviving people in a chokepoint, you could pick a different rifle and contribute at mid / long range.

True though DICE eventually fixed that a bit with the addition of the Jungle Carbine and the M28 to the Medic Class

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXRQF_9IBcw

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Bohemian Nights posted:

Yeah, the RSC will put people down faster up close than just about anything that isn't a shotgun/automatico if you hit your shots, it's just that it's a lot more unforgiving if you miss one. Still obviously one of the best guns in the game, since it's also phenomenal out to quite long ranges.

It's actually been interesting coming back and putting a little time in, I'm trying different guns and finding new things I like. On a semi-related note to the RSC, I've actually found the Fedorov to be a lot more flexible than I'd assumed if you use the optical variant over the trench (which is what I see most people using). I'd used the Trench before and never really liked it even if I knew it was abstractly good, but it seems super-easy to hit my groove with the Optical - the hipfire is still "good enough" in CQC except vs. the sort of Assault guns that the Fedorov loses out to anyway, and in return you get huge gains in your ability to take people out at mid-ranges (and sometimes a bit further via tap-firing).

Also finding that I'm quite liking the Bodeo 1889 of all things - the reload is horrendous of course, but all of the other stats are great and having an extra ~5 yards of max damage range on a revolver (that isn't trading off much in terms of ROF/deploy time/etc. like the Gasser does) makes a huge difference.

E:

jisforjosh posted:

Infidelicious posted:

I get that idea in theory.

But in practice nobody was forcing you to go RSC / Howell / Sleb as a medic... the Federov / Auto 8.25 / 8.35 and 1907 Auto are perfectly serviceable CQB / mid range weapons.
I should point out that people's experience of this might differ greatly depending on when they played. The situation is very different now than it was at game launch, when there were many fewer weapon options and they hadn't done the rebalance patch. There was a reason so many players leaned on the M1907 (Sweeper especially) - because it was pretty much the only decent weapon option you got early (or for a very long time after) that wasn't best used as a long-ranged 3-shot rifle. The game teaches you how to play, and the initial launch experience of medic definitely had some tension between being up front to heal/revive people and being at a range where you felt effective/not going to get utterly stomped on by assaults. It's kind of interesting to think about how differently the game/medic role would be perceived by someone whose first experience of the medic class was the modern version of the Cei-Rigotti instead of its launch iteration.

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 7, 2021

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

The United States posted:

While I like that Origin has the "join on friends" functionality that steam does that in theory should put you in the same server and squad, I found it breaks so often that we just end up telling people the server name in discord and asking them to search for it and then manually trying to team and squad up, like the good old BF2 days.

I mean, yeah, that's the problem. It never works. There's zero point in it and they've never fixed it and apparently have no plans to. Which blows ones mind since they bailed out from Battlelog which worked and didn't require origin.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dead Like Rev posted:

didn't require origin.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly why they ditched Battlelog.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

PittTheElder posted:

I'm pretty sure that's exactly why they ditched Battlelog.

Pretty much, they wanted control.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I missed playing with you all :unsmith:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you had BF3 and 4 on PC you needed Origin and Battlelog. They got rid of Battlelog because a whole bunch of plug-ins weren’t going to be supported in the near future.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

LGD posted:

...On a semi-related note to the RSC, I've actually found the Fedorov to be a lot more flexible than I'd assumed if you use the optical variant over the trench (which is what I see most people using). I'd used the Trench before and never really liked it even if I knew it was abstractly good, but it seems super-easy to hit my groove with the Optical - the hipfire is still "good enough" in CQC except vs. the sort of Assault guns that the Fedorov loses out to anyway, and in return you get huge gains in your ability to take people out at mid-ranges (and sometimes a bit further via tap-firing).

I hate the optical sights in BF1 and especially BFV. The tint of the glass makes it hard for me to distinguish targets to the point where I don't care if the stats are better... I'd rather just use a 2.5x marksman version or irons instead.

I also basically can't use the Howell Automatic Factory, because the iron sights being on the left and high on the gun just breaks my hand / eye coordnation, wasn't an issue with the Bren so IDK.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 8, 2021

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

The optics in bfv are also covered in dirt, annoyingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

Gunplay is pretty drat solid near and TTK is almost exactly as it was at launch save for a few guns

This was one of their better changes. medics should revive people on the point, not people hanging back.