Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I'm not very technical with laptops, but even I'm amazed that spinny disks are still a thing being put into new laptops in 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

the train thing in my video was definitely the lack of an SSD

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Ratjaculation posted:

I'm not very technical with laptops, but even I'm amazed that spinny disks are still a thing being put into new laptops in 2021

In any laptop worth getting they sure aren't, at least as an only storage option. The hotness now are 256g m2 NVME drives. After formatting you've enough space for...windows, really

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I play games a fair bit but I think my most played game is Xcom 2 which is at about 300 hours, and I feel a bit weird when I see that number.

I've a friend who's very much into team multiplayer FPS games. He's got something like 2000 hours in Hell Let Loose, a game that's only just left early access.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Statutory Ape posted:

It'll probably suck more on a spinning HD, which may be the one thing to not hold against it tbqh?

Even actual good and popular games that have been out to varying lengths effectively require SSD. Rdr2, wow, to name 2

Sadly due to game size creep and supply chains, im sure it's easier said than done. Glad I upgraded every HD I have to at least sata3 SSD right before the end times

lol
the difference between SC and games like RDR2 is even though you do need an SSD to run it WELL, it still runs fairly well on lower settings

star citizen is loving unplayably laggy even on the lowest possible settings

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

hbag posted:

lol
the difference between SC and games like RDR2 is even though you do need an SSD to run it WELL, it still runs fairly well on lower settings

star citizen is loving unplayably laggy even on the lowest possible settings

I don't think the parameters of the discussion included that

As true as it may be

I also genuinely do not consider hard drive loading times to be playable in 2021. Maybe that's why I've got 62 minutes a week to play than the ever popular 15 itt

Worf fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Aug 8, 2021

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

sebmojo posted:

the train thing in my video was definitely the lack of an SSD

It was cowardice OP, at you not willing to enter the void.

you don't deserve the 'verse

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

there is only void

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

An aquaintance of mine has over 7,000 hours of Dota 2 played.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Real nerds disclose their /played on SA forums :smuggo:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ratjaculation posted:

It was cowardice OP, at you not willing to enter the void.

you don't deserve the 'verse

:smith:

i saw the beautiful ultimate, and turned my face away

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Party Boat posted:

Do you have kids? If so, there's your answer

Yeah that’s a huge part of it. And a time consuming job, and other hobbies and distractions. I’m not talking about people with a few hours to kill at night/on weekends playing games.

I like video games a lot, and I used to play them a lot more, but seems like a lot of these citizens really do stop working, plug into this “game” for six hours, than go to sleep. I don’t know how you can do that with a spouse, much less kids.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yeah that’s a huge part of it. And a time consuming job, and other hobbies and distractions. I’m not talking about people with a few hours to kill at night/on weekends playing games.

I like video games a lot, and I used to play them a lot more, but seems like a lot of these citizens really do stop working, plug into this “game” for six hours, than go to sleep. I don’t know how you can do that with a spouse, much less kids.

Easy, just be a sociopath.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

yeah im sure star citizen has cost a lot of the "if theyre corpses are they legally slaves?" crowd their social & family lives

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Statutory Ape posted:

yeah im sure star citizen has cost a lot of the "if theyre corpses are they legally slaves?" crowd their social & family lives

Lol

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Is there a way to tell how much time you've played? I hit /played and it says 13 days. That seems really low. Probably just on that one character.

Ya, it’s per character. You’d need to log into every toon and add up their /played.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Spend $25,000 get a broken certificate PDF posted:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

That wording is excruciatingly bad. It's probably for the best it wasn't stylized

It mirrors the parent product with it's inability to account for any substance, while still being verbose in an attempt at grandeur

Also if somebody gives your org 25k...idk...hand write the note or something???? At least personalize it lmao

Worf fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 8, 2021

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
It's like nobody at Roberts Space Industries knows how to use a computer or Roberts himself orders everyone to use buggy software because he got it for cheap and doesn't know any better.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I think croberts should try to register as a religion / non profit, with star citizens digital existence being their key to enlightenment & happiness in this world and the next

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Most citizens are the kind of guys whose idea of enlightenment is ascending to godhood so they can rape, torture, and murder with impunity.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Yaldabaoth posted:

Most citizens are the kind of guys whose idea of enlightenment is ascending to godhood so they can rape, torture, and murder with impunity.

Exactly

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Biplane posted:

These are the sickest people, that cannot be healthy, not for the body, not for the psyche. They need help.

I say this as somebody with high four digits Eve Online playtime.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Biplane posted:

About how many of those hours were spent actually enjoying the game? Maybe 8?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Sardonik posted:

These are the sickest people, that cannot be healthy, not for the body, not for the psyche. They need help.

I say this as somebody with high four digits Eve Online playtime.

He's a norwegian who loves trump. Dude is fully lost.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Statutory Ape posted:

In any laptop worth getting they sure aren't, at least as an only storage option. The hotness now are 256g m2 NVME drives. After formatting you've enough space for...windows, really

That always weirds me out. I always have to remember to give Windows test VMs four to five times the storage of Linux test VMs. And even my workstation that I've been using for 5 years now only uses 20GB for the OS.

I can understand that Winsxs is just going to grow infinitely forever and why it was done that way, but that doesn't account for many, many GB of of … what exactly?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Biplane posted:

He's a norwegian who loves trump. Dude is fully lost.

Sounds like he's the kind of DOTA player who screams at his teammates for not playing perfectly, instead of getting screamed at.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Yaldabaoth posted:

Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Biplane posted:

7000 divided by 12 (hours in a day) is 583

Dota was released in 2013, thats 8 years, wich is 2848 days.

Which means he played DOTA approximately 1/5th of the days after its release

My math might be off but i legit got dyscalculia

Also i dont know where im going with this

Star shitizen suck ok

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

GyverMac posted:

7000 divided by 12 (hours in a day) is 583

Dota was released in 2013, thats 8 years, wich is 2848 days.

Which means he played DOTA approximately 1/5th of the days after its release

There are 24 hours in a day, so the ratio is more like 10% of the person's life spent in Dota 2.

I had a friend in college who reached 100 days of /played in world of warcraft within the first year of the game launch, though, so I can believe it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I remember those play times weren't horrendous pre-wow when I would legit just leave my game running for probably days at a time

When wow came out and autologged for inactivity and I still saw people getting those insane times so fast I was like wot

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

CIG are in the process of completely rewriting the cloth and hair physics simulation for StarEngine, the number of articulated bones they have per item is frankly astounding, they have strand based hair and each strand has it's own collision detection. Considering they are simulating a massive open world environment what they are planning is mind boggling. They have waving flags and drifting cherry blossom petals on Orison which is on the largest fully simulated volumetric cloud gas planet in any game. Skyrim V is a mobile phone game in comparison.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Man, I only played Skyrim I, can't believe I missed out on Skyrims 2 through 5.

Also lol that their point of comparison is a game that turns 10 years old this year and came out two hardware gens ago. Really on the cutting edge, these people.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Mirificus posted:

quote:
CIG are in the process of completely rewriting the cloth and hair physics simulation for StarEngine, the number of articulated bones they have per item is frankly astounding, they have strand based hair and each strand has it's own collision detection. Considering they are simulating a massive open world environment what they are planning is mind boggling. They have waving flags and drifting cherry blossom petals on Orison which is on the largest fully simulated volumetric cloud gas planet in any game. Skyrim V is a mobile phone game in comparison.

Every character model will end up with a helmet or bald. Otherwise you're talking about hours of render time per frame.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Mirificus posted:

...each strand has it's own collision detection.
Considering how awful the collision detection is in this game, this will just make the characters' heads explode as each individual hair goes shooting off in a different direction.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Completely rewriting a physics engine huh

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
They can afford to spend time on the little details now, having got everything else so right.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I, for one, look forward to everyone having a seething mass of constantly moving hairs. Bunch of junior Medusa-looking fucks.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

I felt a disturbance in the force, as if a hundred graphic cards cried out in horror and were suddenly silenced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

NPCs are totally blocking critical doors posted:

NPCs are totally blocking the Dumper's Depot's only door. I came all the way to Area 18 to buy stuff there. First, when I was leaving the dorm (because I got 30K'ed at the spaceport) the elevator's door was blocked by a second pair of doors (colidable). I had to hop servers! Now, this. ://////

quote:

Maybe they could just go back to standing on chairs out of our way?

quote:

To get passed NPCs and even players, crawl on the floor into their legs. They move enough for you to get by.