Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Favorite run in a while. It's so rare for Rampage to be the primary damage in an A20 deck. Good relics helped, and it was very kind of the act 4 elites to give me Corruption.

I recommend taking Fire Breathing if your deck is largely built around Rampage, because Rampage is bad in AOE fights (and uh, in general, usually) and since you are almost always exhausting your deck a lot with Rampage decks, you'll be drawing whatever status cards you couldn't exhaust more often. Donu & Deca probably would have killed me without the Fire Breathing damage.

trucutru posted:

Did you know that if you have both all-for-one and hologram cost 0 mana you get an infinite combo that also lets you replay whatever extra 0-cost crap you have around? That as fun.

Yeah, this is cool or even just 2 Hologram+. You don't get back the other 0 cost stuff, but it's easier to put together, since Holo is a common. With 2 copies of Holo+, one in 16 playthroughs of your deck you get a turn where you can block infinite damage for 0 energy.

Edit: This is one important reason why I am more likely to take the Madnesses from the Winding Halls event with Defect than with Silent or IC (I don't play much Watcher). Sometimes you can make 2 copies of Holo+ cost 0 for an entire fight, without Snecko. Absolutely stupidly good. Pretty tough to make it happen though.

Yoshi Wins fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Wow, got a real 1-2 punch of awful boss relics on an A20 Silent run just now.

Boss 1: Busted Crown, Empty Cage, and Wrist Blade (my deck had no Shiv cards of potential for Shiv synergy at all). Chose the Empty Cage and got rid of my last 2 Strikes.

Boss 2: Sacred Bark, Tiny House, and Pandora's Box (in a deck that already had 0 Strikes and was semi-reliant on the Defends for defense). Reluctantly chose the Pandora's Box and actually managed to limp my way up to Floor 47 or so before finally perishing.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Well, this might have been the easiest run I had done. Sure, I will buy some relics with the courier, credit card, the 999 gold event, and then selling my gold idol for 333? or so gold near the end.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 5, 2021

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

That's a fuckload of relics. Shoutout to the act 4 elites for trolling you with Gremlin Horn to complete your third row.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Yoshi Wins posted:

That's a fuckload of relics. Shoutout to the act 4 elites for trolling you with Gremlin Horn to complete your third row.

It's a meme that they always drop Eternal Feather or White Beast Statue, but honestly Spire Twins are as likely to give a useless relic than not because not many relics benefit you during the first fight after you get them.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Been grinding ascensions from the start since I started playing on my phone, I'm at 20 with Silent, like 10-15 with everything else. I just had the perfect Defect run handed to me when I boss relic swapped to Astrolabe, turned 2 strikes and a defend into Glacier+, Capacitor+ and Biased Cognition+. I picked up a Ball Lightning on the first fight, and then an Inserter off the first boss, and a Orange Pellets off the first shop in Act 2. I can't remember the last time the game just handed me a free win like that, too bad it was only ascension 12.

The win before was pretty close, boss swapped into Runic Pyramid, got Ice Cream off the first elite, grabbed Turbo and Aggregate and Reinforced Body early on and then got a Multi-Cast+ from a shop, all in Act 1. I ended up smacking the Time Eater with a 24 damage dark orb 24 times

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I had a promising run but the loving avocado got me. It got me good. 20% chance of using the big whopper my rear end!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I know I wasn’t the only one waiting for it here, so I’m happy to report that the iOS StS finally got the 2.2 update. Time for shivs!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Was trying to figure out how to tell wtf version Android is on. Found it in the Play store ... 2.2.8 apparently.

What did you need in 2.2 for shivs?

edit: also hi thread ... got obsessed with this game when it finally came out on Android (but dabbled with it on Steam for a while). Currently focused on Silent and am on A18. It's the most stuck I've been for a while but still a hell of a lot of fun.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Patch 2.2 buffed a number of the cards that are shiv related (among other buffs). Platforms other than PC weren't on this patch for a while after the PC release.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

This game is crack cocaine jfc

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

That is a very good first post in this thread. Welcome.

This is your life now.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Also a gateway drug. My Switch is just a roguelite machine now

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The thread title is less a joke and more reality affirming truth

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I’ve been fighting through the challenge on IC with the base relic only and I gotta say that it’s surprising how dangerous the final act is with no relics. I got a block engine online twice but I keep getting mobbed in A3 hallways

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"
Is there some kind of interaction with the Heart's buff turn and strength debuff effects? I wasn't really paying attention to what was going on but I certainly noticed when I was getting multi-attacked by an 8 strength Heart on turn 4. I had Dead Branch so I think I might have ended up playing a Piercing Wail just to see a new card the previous turn? Not really sure. Regardless, it added a significant amount of added challenge to the fight, which is to say I immediately and extremely died.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

VgameT posted:

Is there some kind of interaction with the Heart's buff turn and strength debuff effects? I wasn't really paying attention to what was going on but I certainly noticed when I was getting multi-attacked by an 8 strength Heart on turn 4. I had Dead Branch so I think I might have ended up playing a Piercing Wail just to see a new card the previous turn? Not really sure. Regardless, it added a significant amount of added challenge to the fight, which is to say I immediately and extremely died.

Unlike Time Eater and Woke Bloke, Heart doesn't remove all debuffs. It only removes negative strength buffs. Piercing Wail gives two debuffs, one that removes 6/8 strength permanently and one that adds 6/8 strength to the target at end of turn. So when you played the Wail on the buff turn, you gave it +6 strength.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I am terrible at this game so far but I really like it!

I never managed a win until I watched a guy speedrun an Ironclad win by using flex, potion of x, whirlwind+ and retried until I could duplicate that getup, which was dumb but made my first win sub-twenty minutes for an achievement! :sax:

Since then I have managed one win with each character. Yesterday was my 2nd Ironclad win and it had some very shaky moments until I got the engine assembled but oh man exhaust shenanigans are amazing fun!

I've had StS creeping into my YouTube recommended recently but I just subbed to a few of the channels mentioned itt and hopefully will absorb something useful :)

I haven't touched ascension so far, the shiny elites scare me

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 8, 2021

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Tenkaris posted:

I haven't touched ascension so far, the shiny elites scare me

Elites are scary, sure, but they give a relic and a card reward and maybe a potion, which makes them the absolute best non-boss floors in the game for making you more powerful. So the more elites you fight, the better you will do overall, even though you'll die to them sometimes.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Now that youve finished a run with each character, for a full win before trying ascensions beyond level 1. The "shiny" elites are one per floor and hold one of the three items you need to actually beat the game.

Ascension level 1 actually makes the game easier, imo, since it lets you accumulate more relics. Just means you need to be a bit more careful picking your path and avoid the one with three elites in a row and no campfires

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Just picked this back up and am trying to knock out a0 with Silent. Had previously only played Ironclad.

In act iii with what I think is a decent, mostly focused deck. For relics I’ve got:

Nunchaku
Ornamental Fan
Snekko Skull
Vajra
Mummified Hand
Matryoshka (one chest left for that if I can get it)
Ice Cream
Updated Silent starter relic can’t remember the name
The one that gives you a 0 cost power at combat start.

Probs some others but I’m not in front of the game right now.

Notable cards:
2x Blade Dance
Infinite Blades+
Dagger Throw
Leg Sweep+ (lost Finisher on an A3 ? and this was offered in the next fight I took it because my defense is very anemic.
Dagger Spray
Bouncing Flask
Sucker Punch (maybe +?)
Burst (situational but can cover gaps in defense when needed)
Dodge and Roll
Deflect (maybe x2?)
Slice
Neutralize+
Poisoned Stab
Flying Knee
Prepared
Nightmare
Phantasmal Killer

Some other junk in there and I’m sure I’m missing something.

So I just try to burst stuff down ASAP and cover defense as needed. PS4 so I can’t easily snag a screenshot, but any thoughts on that going into A3? I know I should plan for the boss I’ve got but aside from that if y’all have any advice it would help. This is only my second Silent run and it looks pretty solid to me.

My biggest concerns:
Deck is creeping towards 30, so it’s bloated.
I’ve had very few shots at upgrading. Got the Forge potion, which I’m saving for the boss assuming I make it there in one piece. Size of the deck is mitigated a little bit by some discard and draw capability, but I’ve not had much chance to ditch stuff so I’m stuck with a lot of strikes/defends. I feel like it’s workable, but I also feel like one or two bad draws could gently caress me pretty quick.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

For A0 you're looking pretty good. Just watch out for the boss patterns and you should be able to clear it with that setup.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BurningBeard posted:

Just picked this back up and am trying to knock out a0 with Silent. Had previously only played Ironclad.

In act iii with what I think is a decent, mostly focused deck. For relics I’ve got:

Nunchaku
Ornamental Fan
Snekko Skull
Vajra
Mummified Hand
Matryoshka (one chest left for that if I can get it)
Ice Cream
Updated Silent starter relic can’t remember the name
The one that gives you a 0 cost power at combat start.

Probs some others but I’m not in front of the game right now.

Notable cards:
2x Blade Dance
Infinite Blades+
Dagger Throw
Leg Sweep+ (lost Finisher on an A3 ? and this was offered in the next fight I took it because my defense is very anemic.
Dagger Spray
Bouncing Flask
Sucker Punch (maybe +?)
Burst (situational but can cover gaps in defense when needed)
Dodge and Roll
Deflect (maybe x2?)
Slice
Neutralize+
Poisoned Stab
Flying Knee
Prepared
Nightmare
Phantasmal Killer

Some other junk in there and I’m sure I’m missing something.

So I just try to burst stuff down ASAP and cover defense as needed. PS4 so I can’t easily snag a screenshot, but any thoughts on that going into A3? I know I should plan for the boss I’ve got but aside from that if y’all have any advice it would help. This is only my second Silent run and it looks pretty solid to me.

My biggest concerns:
Deck is creeping towards 30, so it’s bloated.
I’ve had very few shots at upgrading. Got the Forge potion, which I’m saving for the boss assuming I make it there in one piece. Size of the deck is mitigated a little bit by some discard and draw capability, but I’ve not had much chance to ditch stuff so I’m stuck with a lot of strikes/defends. I feel like it’s workable, but I also feel like one or two bad draws could gently caress me pretty quick.

Don't worry about your deck being bloated, as long as you're not aiming for a specific combo having a large deck is fine (of course, it has to have decent card quality). You have snecko skull so keep an eye out for envenom, more bouncing flask and so on as that will kill any boss quick.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Finally got a Heart kill with the Ironclad! I've been playing him on A0 for the past 2 weeks trying to get it done. A messy Corruption + Dead Branch deck got it done with a bit of help by Bronze Scales. That makes a Heart kill with everyone.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
God drat, I am one run away from being "done" with the game (I tell myself, even though I know I'll find something new to do) but I can NOT win this loving A20 with the ironclad. I had an incredible deck I absolutely SHOULD have won with but I screwed up a good thing by making a predictably dumb decision.

Feels like I'm never gonna pull this off, I dont see myself getting that lucky again.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

GlyphGryph posted:

God drat, I am one run away from being "done" with the game (I tell myself, even though I know I'll find something new to do) but I can NOT win this loving A20 with the ironclad. I had an incredible deck I absolutely SHOULD have won with but I screwed up a good thing by making a predictably dumb decision.

Feels like I'm never gonna pull this off, I dont see myself getting that lucky again.

You could have save scummed that one decision by backing out and restarting the fight from the beginning maybe. Unless that violates your personal ethical code, of course! Just something to consider if you really don’t want to waste a strong contender run on one dumb mistake.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
After doing a bunch of Heartless Ascension climbing I'm going back now and redoing The Climb with Heart runs. Is there a way to quickly tell the highest Ascension you have a Heart kill with each character besides going through your run history?

Also, patch idea: a "Heart mode" toggle that automatically takes the red gem at the last fire for you. :doh:

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Sounds like a mod that would go well with the one that puts a giant top sprite on top of the “End Turn” button if you have Unceasing Top.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

mancalamania posted:

After doing a bunch of Heartless Ascension climbing I'm going back now and redoing The Climb with Heart runs. Is there a way to quickly tell the highest Ascension you have a Heart kill with each character besides going through your run history?

Also, patch idea: a "Heart mode" toggle that automatically takes the red gem at the last fire for you. :doh:

Theres a great chance if my run is going well ill forget to take the blue key on the final chest and be grumpy for the rest of the run

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

nrook posted:

Sounds like a mod that would go well with the one that puts a giant top sprite on top of the “End Turn” button if you have Unceasing Top.

Yeah like what they have for Echo Form, that x2 is a lot more useful than I thought it would be

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Tenkaris posted:

You could have save scummed that one decision by backing out and restarting the fight from the beginning maybe. Unless that violates your personal ethical code, of course! Just something to consider if you really don’t want to waste a strong contender run on one dumb mistake.

Unfortunately, not all dumb mistakes can be save scummed because some of them kill you, and for some of the ones that can you don't realize the terrible thing you've done until you get to the next floor.

Picking up a tungsten rod for your rupture/necro/blue candle/reaper deck is one of those mistakes. Picking up dead branch in your infinite deck that requires some card exhaust to get going, or on your shiv deck, is another one. That spoon in your exhaust deck. Using an offering when you only have five health left, or a blood when you only have two. Forgetting the enemy has an 11 thorn stack and deciding to use your 5-hit pummel.

I have done all of these, but this PARTICULAR time it was the far simpler forgetting to keep track of the Time Eaters card count and playing an attack first instead of my entrench. When the bastard was guaranteed to die the following round if I survived.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 9, 2021

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GlyphGryph posted:

Unfortunately, not all dumb mistakes can be save scummed because some of them kill you, and for some of the ones that can you don't realize the terrible thing you've done until you get to the next floor.

Picking up a tungsten rod for your rupture/necro/blue candle/reaper deck is one of those mistakes. Picking up dead branch in your infinite deck that requires some card exhaust to get going is another one. Grabbing that loving SPOON in your exhaust deck, which I've done twice. Using an offering when you only have five health left, or a blood when you only have two. Forgetting the enemy has an 11 thorn stack and deciding to use your 5-hit pummel.

I have done all of these, but this PARTICULAR time it was the far simpler forgetting to keep track of the Time Eaters card count and playing an attack first instead of my entrench. When the bastard was guaranteed to die the following round if I survived.

Ouch.

In any case A20 with the ironclad is the easiest one to brute force. Dead branch plus corruption will beat the game for you so either play in such a way to maximize that happening (keep enough money saved and visit lots of shops to look for the branch, etc) or just play a seed that gives the combo to you.

The silent on the other hand is my nemesis. It's just hard to juggle all the crap you have to juggle with that character. The IC is pretty straight-forward, the robot is built around passives, and kung-fu girl is overpowered but the silent is just a pain.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

And there we go, I got lucky and got an A20 infinite dropkick deck going and DIDNT get the timeeater (though I probably could have beat him if I did, it was a very good, very tight deck even beyond the infinite dropkick)

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

mancalamania posted:

:hfive:
Doing the same and it's slow-going. I solved it by writing down my run history which is quite satisfying to update

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Walla posted:

Finally got a Heart kill with the Ironclad! I've been playing him on A0 for the past 2 weeks trying to get it done. A messy Corruption + Dead Branch deck got it done with a bit of help by Bronze Scales. That makes a Heart kill with everyone.

Congrats!

Meanwhile my heartkill ascension run has been stuck on A19 Defect and Watcher for what must be months. Thought I had a good deck today, got strange spoon early and made a bunch of broken stuff around that. But lost to the heart.

I need to really buckle down and study high ascension act 4 studies: I get there 1/3-1/2 my runs. Is there a video strategy to beating the heart at the highest ascensions, I feel like there's just one thing I have forgot.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I can't point you to any guides or anything, but maybe watch some of the streamers on YouTube? Here is Baalorlord doing a Defect run with only 3 energy and complete poo poo for relics, so maybe fast forward to the end to see how it goes. And I mean poo poo relics. He literally survived the Heart with 1 hit point thanks to Blood Vial and only got the card that won the run thanks to Dream Catcher. It's wild.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Defect idea: Multi-cast, Rainbow, Creative AI, Seek, Reboot, Meteor Strike all to uncommon. Defragment, Consume, and Reprogram to rare.

This way the game can't keep sending me all the way to the act 2 boss without showing me a single goddamned source of scaling.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Also if you want to figure out why you lose, Jorbs just did 2 videos analysing around 70 loses. It's useful information if listening to Jorbs doesn't put you to sleep.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Walla posted:

Also if you want to figure out why you lose, Jorbs just did 2 videos analysing around 70 loses. It's useful information if listening to Jorbs doesn't put you to sleep.

I’ve fallen asleep several times listening to jorbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I’ll probably never have a run like this again:

This was my first try at embracing exhaust as a play style. It went better than expected.

Playing power cards healed me and reduced other card costs to zero.

Getting status cards did damage.

Exhausting cards gave me block. Ending my turn gave me block.

Getting block did damage.

Exhausting cards gave me more cards.

Getting curses gave me hit points. I could then exhaust curses for damage and more cards.

Incoming damage below 5 was reduced to zero and I had thorns. And I had apparitions which, of course, exhaust.

I swear one play exhausted a bunch of status cards and curses which drew more status cards and curses which then exhausted and so on giving me around 150 block and doing a crap ton of damage.