Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
If one were to get a “small cockroach bait” poison but the pest in question is very much a large cockroach would there still be some crossover appeal to them or is it just not effective at all on them and money was wasted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
you don't usually see them in the open, hence the name. you're unlikely to see them and even less likely to be bitten unless you're just sticking your body parts places they like to hide. a lot of people who claim to see them don't even live in places where the spiders are. check this link for more info

https://spiders.ucr.edu/how-identify-and-misidentify-brown-recluse-spider

the legs on yours are pretty dark, so i would say no

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Why do so many churches in the US (and maybe elsewhere?) have the naming convention of First [denomination]? What’s the highest ordinal number a church has ever been?

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

butt dickus posted:

you don't usually see them in the open, hence the name. you're unlikely to see them and even less likely to be bitten unless you're just sticking your body parts places they like to hide. a lot of people who claim to see them don't even live in places where the spiders are. check this link for more info

https://spiders.ucr.edu/how-identify-and-misidentify-brown-recluse-spider

the legs on yours are pretty dark, so i would say no

I just tossed him outside from my garage. He was behind some bags of concrete mix and he had a bunch of ground webs.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Looks a lot like one, yeah.

It's definitely not the usual fake brown recluse (cellar spider). I agree with you and think it's the real deal for once.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What is a good use of a couple boxes of old High School / College textbooks?

I have two huge boxes full of old high school / college textbooks. It just feels so wrong to me to throw away books that I can't bring myself to do it. Is there anything useful I can do with them? I am not looking to make any money here, in fact I'm willing to pay to ship them, I just am hoping to save them from the trash. Even if they only become props or studio sound deadening.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Badger of Basra posted:

Why do so many churches in the US (and maybe elsewhere?) have the naming convention of First [denomination]? What’s the highest ordinal number a church has ever been?

quote:

Open Bible found that "'First' appears in 12 percent of Baptist church names, 10 percent of Methodist church names, and fully 21 percent of Presbyterian church names.” Overall, “First Baptist” was the most common name in their dataset, with 5115 churches using that term.

quote:

The numbers can keep climbing if there are enough members of a denomination around, or enough splits among them. Philadelphia has a Tenth Presbyterian and Los Angeles has a Twenty Eighth Church Of Christ Scientist.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/56895/why-do-so-many-churches-have-first-church-their-names

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Bioshuffle posted:

While watching the documentary Barkley Marathon, I noticed that none of the runners were wearing long pants. What gives? Wouldn't it make sense to wear something to protect yourself from all the thorny bushes? Is there a requirement in the dress code? Or is there some special reason I am not privy to because I don't do trail running?

The only time I would wear pants while running is if it was really cold, so it probably isn't cold enough and people just deal with thorns and branches otherwise they'd be burning up

By cold I mean like 20F or less, anything above that is shorts weather for running

Hotel Kpro fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 7, 2021

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Chuu posted:

I have two huge boxes full of old high school / college textbooks. It just feels so wrong to me to throw away books that I can't bring myself to do it. Is there anything useful I can do with them? I am not looking to make any money here, in fact I'm willing to pay to ship them, I just am hoping to save them from the trash. Even if they only become props or studio sound deadening.

If you have a decent hardcover and fairly thick book you could try turning it into a hide-a-safe. It's tedious, but it can be kind of a fun gift.

You can also make floating shelves out of them with a couple brackets and maybe a thin piece of wood to re-enforce the cover.

If you are looking at paperbacks though, not much

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there a smart financing / investments / whatever the apt term is thread that will help me be smart with my monthly salary, instead of pissing it all away on stupid endeavours, or investing it in stuff that won't actually be worthwhile?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Qubee posted:

Is there a smart financing / investments / whatever the apt term is thread that will help me be smart with my monthly salary, instead of pissing it all away on stupid endeavours, or investing it in stuff that won't actually be worthwhile?

Spend less on candles, etc.

The BFC subforum is the place to look, maybe this thread depending on your time horizon? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2892928&pagenumber=1&perpage=20

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

If it's a recluse there are likely more. Might be better to ask in a more specialized thread or site to find someone who knows better and get some advice.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 7, 2021

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

A gimmick censor in a book I'm reading keeps taking letters out of words. I can generally figure out what it's supposed to be but d---e, is mystifying me.

In a sentence, it's "I went down, rolling, and d---e,[/b]

She's very religious, if that helps.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Bouncy

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Arbite posted:

A gimmick censor in a book I'm reading keeps taking letters out of words. I can generally figure out what it's supposed to be but d---e, is mystifying me.

code:
 cat /usr/share/dict/words | grep -E '^d...e$'
dance
daube
deice
delve
dense
deuce
dhole
dinge
diode
dirge
dixie
dodge
dogie
dolce
donee
douce
douse
dowie
dowse
drake
drape
drive
drone
drove
drupe
druse
dulse
dunce
duple

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Arbite posted:

Any chance :thejoke:?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

She could have had it alllllll
Rolling and the d---e

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Edit: never mind, I misread it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Could it be a name? Some 18th and 19th century writers blank out all but the first and sometimes last letters of names for anonymity. They also do this in fiction for verisimilitude which annoys the heck out of me for some reason.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Was "damne" an old spelling of drat?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

zachol posted:

Was "damne" an old spelling of drat?

“damme” for “drat me” was very common in the 18th and the first half of the 19th century

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Chuu posted:

I make collage art out of old textbooks/Time-Life series/etc. I'm always trawling free/25 cent piles for stuff like that. Maybe post in your Craigslist "free" section? That's one of the places I look.

As a former library employee, I can tell you: libraries don't want them, either for their collection or their book sales. Those will get pitched into the dumpster, sadly.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What does the British aristocracy's Captain Crunch uniform signify?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cap’n Crunch is a capitaine de frégate wearing a bicorn en bataille.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

What's a good/quick sqlite tutorial that will get me up and running fast.

A mastodon instance I've used for 4 years is dying very very soon and I want to back up as much of my stuff as is possible, I already have an interface in python for scraping it, I just want to be able to:

- shove a json object in by post_id and be able to get it out again later by that id

- guaranteed saving so that if the program crashes or dies halfway through I don't have to worry about the data loss

- a way to check if I already have that post so I'm not double-storing stuff.

I know absolutely nothing about sqlite or databases in general, it never piqued my interest and I just used plain text to store things so they were manipulatable via unix tools, now it's kinda biting me in the rear end because that storage format is not suitable for this problem

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Cap’n Crunch is a capitaine de frégate wearing a bicorn en bataille.

Is this just a non-sequitur or is there some question I'm missing here?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Slimy Hog posted:

Is this just a non-sequitur or is there some question I'm missing here?

Yes indeed.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

alexandriao posted:

A mastodon instance I've used for 4 years is dying very very soon and I want to back up as much of my stuff as is possible
Is there a reason you can't just request an archive backup in preferences, and view it in something like FediRenderer? Admittedly I haven't tried it myself and don't know if it would include your likes, but it should keep posts, boosts, DMs, etc.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is it possible to discover non-original movies on Netflix anymore? It seems that browsing only has Netflix original content now.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Weird...

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Everett False posted:

Is there a reason you can't just request an archive backup in preferences, and view it in something like FediRenderer? Admittedly I haven't tried it myself and don't know if it would include your likes, but it should keep posts, boosts, DMs, etc.

This instance doesn't support that, essentially the database is hosed and this person is tired of putting in the time to maintain it.

The only other existing tool for this is mastodon-backup, which hammers the database so hard it crashes, and when it inevitably times out, decides to throw away all the data. I've tried using all of the suggested options for making it not do that, and it's just been so frustrating that I ended up writing my own interface that I can stagger over a week or two to ensure that the database isn't spammed so hard it crashes.

All of that interface works now, I just need a good way to store it so I can store partial results and pick myself back up using those if it falls over (no duplication, which Mastodon.py doesn't support in its "fetch everything" mode, l o l).

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

The goal is something that I can learn and have working by the 10th, which gives me 20 days to scrape the rest of the data, which is enough time to fix any other problems that might come up

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I've been wearing glasses daily since I was a young kid and I have indents in the side of my head on both sides. Is this normal? I'm asking because google's being weird about it and because I'm idly curious about it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Glasses shouldn't be grabbing the sides of your head that hard. At least, mine never have. They should get support and stability mostly from the nosepiece in my experience, with the arms giving additional stability.

E: in fact, the only spot the arms even touch my head are on the top of my ears and where the curvy part of the arm touches right behind my ear.

If the actual length of the arm is pressing into your head, I think you need wider frames.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I also have that indent and have for most of my life. From what I know, it's as regularconzalez says; it means our glasses our too tight.

I would classify it as "normal" in that a lot of people have it, but in the same way that a lot of small issues are common but not healthy.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

regulargonzalez posted:

Glasses shouldn't be grabbing the sides of your head that hard. At least, mine never have. They should get support and stability mostly from the nosepiece in my experience, with the arms giving additional stability.

E: in fact, the only spot the arms even touch my head are on the top of my ears and where the curvy part of the arm touches right behind my ear.

If the actual length of the arm is pressing into your head, I think you need wider frames.

Or a smaller head.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

alexandriao posted:

The goal is something that I can learn and have working by the 10th, which gives me 20 days to scrape the rest of the data, which is enough time to fix any other problems that might come up

Oof, that's rough. If you have a post on fedi about the issue and you're willing to share a link (PMs are fine) I can try to boost it over there and see if anyone I know has any ideas.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I bought a car battery for a car that was dying, and used it for 3-4 months. I then got a new car, but, thinking the battery was new enough to have some value, I salvaged it before I donated the old vehicle. This was roughly five years ago, and that car battery has sat on a shelf ever since. At this point, does it have any value, or should I throw it into the sea, as a cheap and legal thrill deliver it to the local hazardous waste disposal site?

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Pretty sure five years on the shelf makes it good for little more than an offering to gain the favour of Poseidon.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Lead acid batteries are healthiest when kept continuously at full charge and quickly decline if they go below about twelve volts.

It’s been scrap for years at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Does anyone have any handy tips for using contact lenses?

I can get them out ok, a bit more practice and it should present no problems, but getting them in is a nightmare. I cant help flinching away and even the handling of them before I put them in is a nightmare.

Also, is it possible to get "practice" lenses? A lot of places here seem to sell novelty colored ones but I want to make sure I'm not sticking in something I should not.