Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Somehow I knew I'd really like this episode from the minute King said he was tracking down "lofi beats to study and relax to".

Fuckin' Eda trying to yell out her new power like a kid in the 90s trying to go Super Saiyan was great. drat girl I can relate to being surprised to seeing that that show is 30 years old. Also I expected Eda's deal with the Owl Beast to get her harpy form to be some big dramatic reveal later but found it hilarious that the deal was just her having to eat a bunch of voles for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Speaking of Underground Korean Hip Hop and Whalesong, the guy doing the S2 sound tracks publishes them on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wz3O_wV5aQ

Related, the song in the Tunnel of Love from S2E8 is "Wholesome Magic Steady" and the lyrics, as transcribed in the youtube comments section are:

quote:

Will you be my steady (Steady)
My wholesome magic steady (Wholesome magic steady)
I'll conjure you some flowers
We could hold wholesome hands for hours

Will you be my sweetheart (Sweetheart)
My wholesome magic sweetheart (Wholesome magic sweetheart)
All right, boys, get wholesome

epic sax solo

And if you'll be my steady
I hope we never 'part
'Cause you're the only one
I want to be my
Wholesome magic sweetheart

I was so distracted by the visual abomination that was Hooty's Tunnel of Love and Luz trying desperately to dismantle it that I mostly missed that there was a horrible aural component to it as well when I first watched the episode...

I love that the Owl Beast is uncomplicated enough to just want to be rewarded with some tasty voles.

I also love the magical combat scenes in this show -- the Amity / Hunter showdown did not disappoint and I like the more flexible use of abomination magic that we're seeing in season two.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Quinton posted:

I also love the magical combat scenes in this show -- the Amity / Hunter showdown did not disappoint and I like the more flexible use of abomination magic that we're seeing in season two.

Same. I always felt in season 1 that abomination magic sucked because it was so one-note and the abominations seemed fairly weak but they're really turning that around.

Something people noticed is that one of the first images of the episode is of a book talking about how to make clones with red eyes. The same color as Hunters eyes. After seeing that pointed out I couldn't help but notice that he and Belos have the exact same chip in their ear on top of their other similarities. So I have to wonder how literal 'replacing' Hunter really would be.

If Belos is the same human from the book, maybe he's been absorbing clones for all this time to stay alive. Or he's another clone and changed his eye color somehow.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Nephthys posted:

Something people noticed is that one of the first images of the episode is of a book talking about how to make clones with red eyes. The same color as Hunters eyes. After seeing that pointed out I couldn't help but notice that he and Belos have the exact same chip in their ear on top of their other similarities. So I have to wonder how literal 'replacing' Hunter really would be.

If Belos is the same human from the book, maybe he's been absorbing clones for all this time to stay alive. Or he's another clone and changed his eye color somehow.

I'm not convinced that Belos is the author of the book... partially because it seems just too straightforward, partially because why would he have left the book in the library, etc... not sure how his actions fit.

But I do think that Hunter may be intended as a backup body for Belos (and consider the matching ear notch interesting). Hunter seems to have memory of a family, but perhaps that's implanted. Could Belos have been constructed by the author using the same technique (which is hitting the end of its useful lifespan?).

Random observation: Belos' eyes are drawn without reflections. As are those of Kikimora and King (demonic characters), but not of Luz, or any of the Witches (that I'm aware of). Hunter's eyes are in the reflection style. Not sure if there's any significance to any of that...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I feel like they had to make abomination magic cool eventually, if only because it's the magic the resident class paragon uses. Amity's a kid prodigy, and that means they needed to show her being a kid prodigy even with her weird goop-man magic.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Weirdly, the latest ep has completely failed to appear on :filez: at all yet.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Quinton posted:

I'm not convinced that Belos is the author of the book... partially because it seems just too straightforward, partially because why would he have left the book in the library, etc... not sure how his actions fit.

But I do think that Hunter may be intended as a backup body for Belos (and consider the matching ear notch interesting). Hunter seems to have memory of a family, but perhaps that's implanted. Could Belos have been constructed by the author using the same technique (which is hitting the end of its useful lifespan?).

Random observation: Belos' eyes are drawn without reflections. As are those of Kikimora and King (demonic characters), but not of Luz, or any of the Witches (that I'm aware of). Hunter's eyes are in the reflection style. Not sure if there's any significance to any of that...

Well, one thing to recall is that we seem to be in the early portions of the book. Figure a good portion of what we're reading/hearing is/will be the author trying (and failing) to find ways back to the human realm. We don't know what might happen with the author's personality and outlook as he gets more frustrated as time goes on with failure after failure. One interesting thing I noted is that Belos just seemed to want to get to the human realm to get there, not because he had some other goal (like conquest). He seemed quite wistful speaking about the human realm and how kind of gross/awful the Boiling Isles were by comparison.

Meanwhile, I would not a bit surprised if Hunter's roll in Belos's plans was as some version of the racrefice

The_Doctor posted:

Weirdly, the latest ep has completely failed to appear on :filez: at all yet.

I'm kind of okay with that. Sure, gently caress Disney, more money than God, but apparently one key to getting more Owl House (expanded 3rd season or additional 4th season) is the show racking numbers on Disney+. FYI, eps 1-5 of this season are already there and eps 6-10 drop on Disney+ on Aug. 18.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 8, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Everyone posted:

I'm kind of okay with that. Sure, gently caress Disney, more money than God, but apparently one key to getting more Owl House (expanded 3rd season or additional 4th season) is the show racking numbers on Disney+. FYI, eps 1-5 of this season are already there and eps 6-10 drop on Disney+ on Aug. 18.

Animation's lead time means something like this is unlikely to happen. Beyond which, this show was too gay to survive under Disney's gentle auspices IMO.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Animation's lead time means something like this is unlikely to happen. Beyond which, this show was too gay to survive under Disney's gentle auspices IMO.

I'm sure the reduced season three is already well underway (at minimum). Presumably if somehow convinced they could decide to go for a fourth season or a movie or something, but I'm assuming that the showrunners, having had *some* notice of their reduced season three, adjusted things to wrap stuff up satisfactorily (ish?) in the allotted time (which perhaps also accounts for the much increased plot density in season two), which may impact the space they have to work in story-wise.

I'm not holding my breath, but who knows, other shows have managed to eke out another season or two after an initial cancellation...

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hunter explaining that he's digging his grave and then offering to help Amity dig hers is top-tier comedy.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I shouldn't have been as surprised as I was at how easily Hunter's flimsy rear end BS got to Amity. It was a stark reminder that for as far as she's come, her self worth is still incredibly fragile.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

what if luz took amity to the gathering of the juggalos

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Open Source Idiom posted:

If TOH was "too gay" to survive under Disney, it never would have made it on the air in the first place. At the least we wouldn't have the second season we've had with Luz and Amita outright becoming girlfriends. Honestly, if anything, maybe TOW is too "straight" AKA conventional to survive.

Marvel's What If? drops this Wednesdays. In that spirit let's took a look into Universe B. In Universe B there's also a show called The Owl House. That show is about a Latinx boy named Luis who's into fantasy stuff. Basically everything that happens in that Owl House is the same as in ours except that instead of a bi-sexual girl named Luz, the main character is a straight boy named Luis.

Do we still give a poo poo about the show at that point or do we pretty much dismiss it as a Disney Harry Potter rip-off?

Cattail Prophet posted:

I shouldn't have been as surprised as I was at how easily Hunter's flimsy rear end BS got to Amity. It was a stark reminder that for as far as she's come, her self worth is still incredibly fragile.

I didn't really take it as self-worth - at least at the end. Hunter pretty much just told Amity the truth, which was "Yeah, here and now you can beat my rear end into the ground. But Belos will learn about the key and he'll have no problem in terms of either conscience or power with killing all of you to take it."

Everyone fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 8, 2021

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

JazzFlight posted:

Some fun thoughts on ep 9:
-Is it just me, or was the “Hey, Steve!” possibly a little silly Homestar Runner reference?
-Also, is it just me or are they leaning into the Amity = Katara’s voice actress and now she’s a water bender w her abomination slime bottle on her hip?

I totally buy it being a visual homage to avatar.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Everyone posted:

If TOH was "too gay" to survive under Disney, it never would have made it on the air in the first place. At the least we wouldn't have the second season we've had with Luz and Amita outright becoming girlfriends. Honestly, if anything, maybe TOW is too "straight" AKA conventional to survive.

TBH, after the bollocks with Gravity Falls, Love Victor, etc. I think it was overlooked. This kind of production weirdness speaks to some sort of production drama behind the scenes at the very least.

Edit: and yeah, the show's funny, well constructed and has some nice music. That's the main reason I watch it. I don't think that changing the lead's gender would change those things for me.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 8, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Everyone posted:

Do we still give a poo poo about the show at that point or do we pretty much dismiss it as a Disney Harry Potter rip-off?

I mean I would? I liked the comedy in it from episode 1, the gay is just a nice add-on.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Everyone posted:

Marvel's What If? drops this Wednesdays. In that spirit let's took a look into Universe B. In Universe B there's also a show called The Owl House. That show is about a Latinx boy named Luis who's into fantasy stuff. Basically everything that happens in that Owl House is the same as in ours except that instead of a bi-sexual girl named Luz, the main character is a straight boy named Luis.

Universe B Amity is still gay in this scenario, so I think that's going to lead to some significant changes.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

TwoPair posted:

I mean I would? I liked the comedy in it from episode 1, the gay is just a nice add-on.

I'll say that the gay/bi elements did put the show on my "I should check that out" radar and that was thanks to this site.

I'd clicked past the show a few times prior to that and it didn't grab me. Even after hearing about it here, I mostly tuned it to see if the show would have the stones ovaries to really commit to the LGBTQ elements or if it'd be something like Endgame's "Hi, I'm a nameless sad dude who dates other dudes. Welp, bye, good luck with the Unsnap-"

Turns out that Dana Terrace and co. have big honkin' ovaries of solid titanium because "gently caress, yes" did they fully commit.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Amity got a promotion from Mittens to Boots!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Madurai posted:

She's got her eyes on the prize. Next up will be Snow Hat and after that, Parka.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Madurai posted:

Ha, I was trying to figure out where that name came from. I figured calling Gus "Goops" was a joke about just Eda not learning his name but I didn't know how she could get Amity's name so wrong.

Everyone posted:

I'll say that the gay/bi elements did put the show on my "I should check that out" radar and that was thanks to this site.

Fair enough.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Everyone posted:

Still bi, now in a love triangle with Gus and Hunter.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The_Doctor posted:

Still bi, now in a love triangle with Gus and Hunter.

You guys do what you want for universes C - ZZZZ3.

I wanted to explore the question of what other interesting flavors are in this dish we call The Owl House if we can no longer "taste the Rainbow?"

There are some. Wendie Malick is near-perfect as Eda. And there's also King growing from pet/child/comic relief to a full character trying to learn who he is and where he's from. Gus, Willow and Bump would be fun. Amity would still break my heart a little bit. Ironically, the character I probably wouldn't be able to stand would be "Luis."

Which brings me back to Luz. Luz, is kind and brave and cheerful and friendly and curious and fun-loving and unselfish and... well, you get the idea.

I kind of wish that Luz the Human was a little more of an imperfect human. The Queer elements of the show help with that. We like Amity and Luz together because it's so clear that Amity desperately needs the unconditional love and acceptance of somebody like Luz. Plus gay/bi teens in an actual relationship is extremely new for children's TV shows.

There's nothing wrong with being Queer, there's nothing "right" about it either. Having a non-straight sexual orientation or a non-CiS gender identity doesn't automatically make you a paragon of humanity. You'll still be as prone to pride, selfishness, greed and all the other human frailties as any other straight/CiS person.

Plus, I don't know and I don't think the show meant to send this message, but I don't think that "It's fine if you're gay or bi as long as you approach perfection in every other aspect of your life." is a good thought to convey.

Don't get me wrong, I like the show a lot. For that matter I like Luz a lot, though I'll admit that probably my favorite Luz moment came from last Saturday's episode with her freaking out and wrecking the "Tunnel of Love" while missing that Amity was getting sadder and more down.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 9, 2021

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
The only thing I was disappointed about in the new episode:

The ending didn't have one more line from Hunter commenting on his palisman having a sailor mouth...

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

KingKalamari posted:

The only thing I was disappointed about in the new episode:

The ending didn't have one more line from Hunter commenting on his palisman having a sailor mouth...

Gotta save something for next Saturday.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Ha, I was trying to figure out where that name came from. I figured calling Gus "Goops" was a joke about just Eda not learning his name but I didn't know how she could get Amity's name so wrong.

Eda called her "bossy boots", then shortened it to "boots".

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
So far the episode title secret messages are:

First season A WITCH LOSES A TRUE WAY
Second season SEEK THE KEY

And the key word hidden in episode messages are:

First season TWO WITCHES TORN APART, NOW ALONE; TWO HEARTS OF STONE. A CURSE OF FEATHERS AND MUD, A BETRAYAL OF BLOOD
Second season SEETHING SEAS AND PUPPET STRINGS, HE NO LONGER DREAMS

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

"Bad but sad boy" is a spot on description for Hunter.

It was very cute how Amity kept going on and on about how she was Luz's girlfriend, and that as her girlfriend it was her duty to do this, and did she mention that she and Luz were girlfriends by the way?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

paradoxGentleman posted:

"Bad but sad boy" is a spot on description for Hunter.

It was very cute how Amity kept going on and on about how she was Luz's girlfriend, and that as her girlfriend it was her duty to do this, and did she mention that she and Luz were girlfriends by the way?

Aside from all the usual super-intense first teen love feels, Luz cares about Amity as Amity as opposed others like her folks who "care" about Amity for what she does/achieves. Figure if her folks try to screw that up, Amity's going to push back hard.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
What's the fandom name for Luz & Amity? Luzity? I'm asking for very important reasons and totally not so I can just find & send cute fanart to a friend.

Edit: vvv Thank you!

jassa fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 9, 2021

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Lumity

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

lamituz

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Auz.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Breaking my lurking to post fanart made by one of my favorite artists

https://twitter.com/amandagaffeaday/status/1424805251492761604?s=19

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i am officially declaring this thread a post cute lumity pics safe zone

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

There really is no shortage of fantastic fanart for this show (click to embiggen)...

("luzfi hip hop radio" by @NoahSelack on twitter)

("Eclipse Lake" by @clarke_charlize on twitter)

(Most Redrawn Pose of 2x9 by @noxymlp1 on twitter)

(Most Redrawn Pose of 2x9 by @BscDraws on twitter)

(Epic Fight Scene by @MissFafa99 on twitter)

(More Amity vs Hunter by @Antler_Dragon on twitter)

("Hooty drags everyone to therapy" by @feralescapist on twitter)

(Infinity Train Crossover? by @CalicoPikachu on twitter)

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Oh, I forgot to include Lumity fanart...

One year and one day ago was Grom! Happy Grommiversary!

(by @Antler_Dragon on twitter)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

sliami posted:

what if luz took amity to the gathering of the juggalos

Now I'm just picturing Eda thoroughly enjoying herself.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Now I'm just picturing Eda thoroughly enjoying herself.

"Ah... Amity and Luz are on one of their quest-dates. King's in the woods blowing stuff up by squeaking at it. And Hooty's busy doing... something with the basement. Time for mama and a couple quarts of quality stank Apple Blood to go super-Owlbeast-Saiyan through the 80s power of video Jazzercise."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Not exactly new, but I stumbled across this work of art today and keep rewatching it because Amity being a useless sapphic is pretty much my favourite thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ_w8SE6jNw