Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

It's helpful in thinking about gender if you're not a native French speaker¹ to substitute the French genre.

Forgot your footnote ;)

And I would genuinely like to know about how the French genre helps in matters of gender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Forgot your footnote ;)

And I would genuinely like to know about how the French genre helps in matters of gender.
This point is elaborated upon in the next paragraph

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Ah, my bad. I thought that was a separate point.

Me learn read good any day now.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ZombieLenin posted:

So does German; however, English has completely dropped the gendering on non-living things… unless you count the gendering of ships, which in English are often given female gender pronouns… that’s about it.

As I understand it, English largely lost its gendered nouns after the Norman invasion. French became the preferred language of the aristocracy and educated for 2-300 years with English being kept alive among the peasentry. By the time English was reasserted as the dominant language it had evolved from its vulgar origin to be more utilitarian by dropping some of the more extraneous parts such as gendered objects.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

This is a lovely post and you should feel really bad about it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
this thread aged poorly

(has this joke been done yet?)

also its true

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Speaking of old English.

Pumped up kicks 1066 A.D Cover in Old English (Anglo Saxon tongue) BARDCORE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI

The year chosen for this was when, as posted above, French became the dominant language of the upper class while the lower classes still spoke ye olde english.
And quite a bit of depth to the wording used, I especially like the "wildling knight" and "Irish made bow" lines.

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 07:17 on Aug 9, 2021

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Captain Monkey posted:

this thread aged poorly

(has this joke been done yet?)

also its true

You know who else aged really poorly?
Dorian Gray

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

in some states of the usa - west coast, for example - "dude" is gender-neutral. in others, it's masculine. regional american english surprises

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
For a tutorial on the gender-neutral usage of "Dude", see the movie Good Burger.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BioEnchanted posted:

For a tutorial on the gender-neutral usage of "Dude", see the movie Good Burger.

And also enjoy the works of the Barenaked Ladies.

Like I super don’t like Ellie trash cakes and she don’t like me but she is making some stellar work.

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 08:15 on Aug 9, 2021

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

in some states of the usa - west coast, for example - "dude" is gender-neutral. in others, it's masculine. regional american english surprises

People keep arguing this and yet if I say I'm going to the bar to try and score with some dudes...

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ugly In The Morning posted:

And also enjoy the works of the Barenaked Ladies.

Like I super don’t like Ellie trash cakes and she don’t like me but she is making some stellar work.

I have enjoyed BNL (pre-Page departure) for twenty years and don't understand the joke you are making here, please help.

I also don't understand why the dig at Ellie was necessary

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I have enjoyed BNL (pre-Page departure)

:negative: Finally, someone who shares my pain.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I've got you, friend :negative:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I have enjoyed BNL (pre-Page departure) for twenty years and don't understand the joke you are making here, please help.

I also don't understand why the dig at Ellie was necessary

I wasn’t trying to make a dig at Ellie, I have mad respect for someone that I don’t usually get along with, if that makes sense.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I threw down with Ellie back in Novemberish and it was mostly me freaking out with the presidential election and a bit of a manic thing.

She’s annoying sometimes but means well.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Whybird posted:

People keep arguing this and yet if I say I'm going to the bar to try and score with some dudes...

There are some who don't mind "dude" but I always see it argued also by people who don't want to respect someone asking them not to use dude to address them.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BioEnchanted posted:

Master Chef AU: Ooh, you c--t. You did something to this eggroll didn't you. It worked. :3:

Not like that.

MC AU is special in the world of reality TV and cooking shows. They shoot all week. They start with an individual challenge day; usually a mystery box with the winner getting an advantage or choice, and then an invention test. The3 worst cooks from day one then compete in a pressure tests where they're given recipes, ingredients, and have to recreate a dish with the loser going home. Day three is a test against a professional chef, if the contestant wins they get an immunity pin. Day four is a team challenge and day five is an elimination test for the poorest performers. They end the week with a masterclass from the judges and the week's guest.

So there's far more contest to watch, and someone has to have two bad cooks in a row to get eliminated. Add to that the fact that the judges are allowed to be fans of the contestants, and the producers are trying to create drama from camaraderie and real effort versus whatever bullshit Fox does, and you get a much more good-natured show. On top of that, the judges are allowed to not eliminate someone. It doesn't happen every season, but sometimes all three people in a pressure test nail the dish or something amazing happens during a team elimination.

I like this episode as an example of peak MC AU, good challenges (15 minutes to make onion rings !) and then something special happens in part 3:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrdrkv

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Anyone remember Platypus Man? I vaguely remembered it existed a few days back and looked it up. It's like a concentration of pre-9/11 self-absorbed cringe. "Rich straight white guy with a tv show is miserable because his various sexual partners don't stick around longer than one episode what a loser amirite??"

Edit: TIL the creator killed himself. drat.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Plethora posted:

Anyone remember Platypus Man? I vaguely remembered it existed a few days back and looked it up. It's like a concentration of pre-9/11 self-absorbed cringe. "Rich straight white guy with a tv show is miserable because his various sexual partners don't stick around longer than one episode what a loser amirite??"

Imdb says the lead actor killed himself, the writers and the directors seem to be alive.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Torquemada posted:

Imdb says the lead actor killed himself, the writers and the directors seem to be alive.

That's good to hear. Sad about the actor.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

packetmantis posted:

:negative: Finally, someone who shares my pain.

Their new album is great though. Fake Nudes was also good.

To make this somewhat relevant to this thread, Ed Robertson lead singer of Barenaked Ladies has talked about the legacy of their only number 1 hit, One Week. He said he never grew to hate it because basically it made them as a band and the song has circled back around because of 90s nostalgia.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There was also the other one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lpqobFsotQ

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Plethora posted:

It was one of the original upn shows, maybe literally their first one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

As I understand it, English largely lost its gendered nouns after the Norman invasion. French became the preferred language of the aristocracy and educated for 2-300 years with English being kept alive among the peasentry. By the time English was reasserted as the dominant language it had evolved from its vulgar origin to be more utilitarian by dropping some of the more extraneous parts such as gendered objects.

French also has masculine, feminine, and gender neutral terms being derived from Latin. English losing its gender was largely a process of Anglification in word stress -- the first syllable of words tending to be emphasized rather than the second as it was with many other continental European languages -- and all suffixes denoting case, gender, number, etc. gradually becoming clipped or phased out entirely.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I threw down with Ellie back in Novemberish and it was mostly me freaking out with the presidential election and a bit of a manic thing.

She’s annoying sometimes but means well.
Welp can't dispute that 🤷🏻‍♀️

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

exquisite tea posted:

French also has masculine, feminine, and gender neutral terms being derived from Latin. English losing its gender was largely a process of Anglification in word stress -- the first syllable of words tending to be emphasized rather than the second as it was with many other continental European languages -- and all suffixes denoting case, gender, number, etc. gradually becoming clipped or phased out entirely.

Old English was also already losing a lot of it's weirder features due to contact with Old Norse and through intermixing of regional OE dialects in the ~200 years before 1066. The influence of Norman French is mostly responsible for vocabulary changes, but the actual structural changes were largely due to other factors.

The idea of "...then the Normans came and the language changed because the upper class spoke only French." is a one-line summary you can tell middle school kids, but when you get into the details it doesn't really hold up as a very good explanation.

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 16:25 on Aug 9, 2021

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Yes a page full of people who agree that BNL are some of the great songwriters of our time.

Steven Page's solo stuff is also excellent. The first post-Steve BNL album is good but they've since become a fine but forgettable band. They miss his voice badly, both literally and in the songwriting.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Yeah I've seen BNL three times, once a little before Page left, once right after he left and one last time a couple years after. First time was probably the best show but the second had some great rebound energy

The final time Howard Jones opened and tbh despite only really being known for existing on the soundtrack of every other John Hughes movie he completely blew them out of the water :sweatdrop:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It was one of the original upn shows, maybe literally their first one.

I can still remember the intro. Literally nothing else about the show, but the opening bit with a dictionary.

Can't find it on youtube.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The loving French stole our genders

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

during covid my friend has been streaming old episodes of The Amazing Race, and man people in the 2000s were cool just being openly racist about other countries on camera. and the tv show was pretty happy to let the female contestants get groped to hell on packed trains, and nobody, not even their partners, seemed to think it was a big deal.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

thetoughestbean posted:

The loving French stole our genders

Which is why to this day their police are called Gendermes. by people who cant spell in french

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Yeah I've seen BNL three times, once a little before Page left, once right after he left and one last time a couple years after. First time was probably the best show but the second had some great rebound energy

The final time Howard Jones opened and tbh despite only really being known for existing on the soundtrack of every other John Hughes movie he completely blew them out of the water :sweatdrop:

Seriously though give De Tour De Force a listen.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

zakharov posted:

Yes a page full of people who agree that BNL are some of the great songwriters of our time.

Steven Page's solo stuff is also excellent. The first post-Steve BNL album is good but they've since become a fine but forgettable band. They miss his voice badly, both literally and in the songwriting.

I saw Steven solo in 2019 while he was promoting Discipline (fantastic album) and he's still amazing. He played War on Drugs, which caught me off guard and is a song that has resonated with me in a very powerful, painful way for the entire fifteen years since it came out. It puts a lot of my own demons into words in a way nobody/nothing else has ever been able to, including myself, and I cried through the whole thing. :saddowns:

After the show I told him this and he said very gravely, "Well, I'm glad you had such a nice time."

The guy owns. He seems happier these days and I'm really glad for it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

For those unfamiliar with Steven Page, please enjoy this very uptempo and also intensely self-loathing ditty from Discipline. It's extremely Page and just 77 seconds, you've got time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5tsjc06stg

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Their new album is great though. Fake Nudes was also good.

To make this somewhat relevant to this thread, Ed Robertson lead singer of Barenaked Ladies has talked about the legacy of their only number 1 hit, One Week. He said he never grew to hate it because basically it made them as a band and the song has circled back around because of 90s nostalgia.

A face of no regrets. Gordon is shamefully overlooked by many who only discovered them after Stunt.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I adore BNL but they make me slightly nuts because they'll have a song that's really touching or powerful and then include one really stupid little joke in the lyrics. It's cute, but it's also exasperating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Howard Jones was pretty big in the 80s. His stuff was all over MTV and the radio at the time. When he was on some singing contest show some years back my wife was amazed at how good a performer he was.

In the 90s he did a more techno version of What is Love that really kicks it up. Can't find a video link. It's from an album called 80's Diamonds.