Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

hard counter posted:

i think leading with that explanation to begin with may be the way forward here, that's all, if you explain it with a rule that isn't a rule confusion just becomes more likely

Dig up stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

hard counter posted:

i think leading with that explanation to begin with may be the way forward here, that's all, if you explain it with a rule that isn't a rule confusion just becomes more likely

gently caress you.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

hard counter posted:

if the trans community heavily leans towards one form (it's my understanding that, historically, trans man emerged as a quick term that can cover both transsexual and transgender men, maybe explaining the open form) or perhaps it just wants to stay out of the compound noun business altogether, that's fine and i can respect it and follow their lead but i'm reasonably certain the english language itself could not reliably specify a difference between transwoman, trans-woman or trans woman, in the same way it could not specify a difference between 'transgender/trans-gender/trans gender,' in a way where one form incorrectly implies there's 'gender' and 'transgender' but another uses it more like an adjective, so that cis gender and trans gender are both more correctly recognized as subsets of gender; by comparison ciswoman seems to be an acceptable term according to several sources, but i could be wrong tho and maybe there's been recent standardization

i don't know if english is a precise enough language to make distinctions like these anyway; english, owing to its complicated, partially germanic orgins, sometimes does both compound nouns and agglutination (but to a lesser extent than its cousins) where different morphemes or adjective-noun/noun-noun pairs are either strung together, hyphenated or fused to form a compound word that conveys a combined meaning w/o necessarily creating a new category

in particular, in english there are no hard rules about the use of the open, hyphenated or closed forms of a given compound noun and it's mostly left up to the discretion of the author so you'll see plenty of variations getting published, this situation is also true of word pairs that contain foreign elements like from latin or greek

while we should definitely follow the preferred conventions of a community that's finally creating its own terms for once instead of being slurred by outsiders, english being a joke language with no rules may render grammatical explanations kinda moot

Great post you loving moron

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I wonder if the guy with the Deus Vult rear end avatar who talks like Ben Shapiro is possibly a bigot arguing in bad faith.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

hard counter posted:

if the trans community heavily leans towards one form (it's my understanding that, historically, trans man emerged as a quick term that can cover both transsexual and transgender men, maybe explaining the open form) or perhaps it just wants to stay out of the compound noun business altogether, that's fine and i can respect it and follow their lead but i'm reasonably certain the english language itself could not reliably specify a difference between transwoman, trans-woman or trans woman, in the same way it could not specify a difference between 'transgender/trans-gender/trans gender,' in a way where one form incorrectly implies there's 'gender' and 'transgender' but another uses it more like an adjective, so that cis gender and trans gender are both more correctly recognized as subsets of gender; by comparison ciswoman seems to be an acceptable term according to several sources, but i could be wrong tho and maybe there's been recent standardization

i don't know if english is a precise enough language to make distinctions like these anyway; english, owing to its complicated, partially germanic orgins, sometimes does both compound nouns and agglutination (but to a lesser extent than its cousins) where different morphemes or adjective-noun/noun-noun pairs are either strung together, hyphenated or fused to form a compound word that conveys a combined meaning w/o necessarily creating a new category

in particular, in english there are no hard rules about the use of the open, hyphenated or closed forms of a given compound noun and it's mostly left up to the discretion of the author so you'll see plenty of variations getting published, this situation is also true of word pairs that contain foreign elements like from latin or greek

while we should definitely follow the preferred conventions of a community that's finally creating its own terms for once instead of being slurred by outsiders, english being a joke language with no rules may render grammatical explanations kinda moot

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sir, this isn't the Media Literacy Thread

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
lol it's not a compound noun it's a noun with an adjective in front of it, if you could somehow make it clear you were using it as a compound noun when using a space between the words people would still be annoyed with you.

though lmao now I'm imagining a guy in my head that gets confused when people get annoyed if he calls someone a whitewoman or black-woman

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

rodbeard posted:

I wonder if the guy with the Deus Vult rear end avatar who talks like Ben Shapiro is possibly a bigot arguing in bad faith.

Come on people. It’s like replying to silence_kit

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

hard counter posted:

Park life!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

English being a largely analytical language with a singular "they" and non-gendered objects going back centuries actually makes it pretty good for representation in our increasingly non-binary world. Or so I've been told that other languages have a harder time making pronouns agree.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

rodbeard posted:

I'm not defending that post (or gainsaying my fellow mod's decision) but I've generally liked hard counter's posts around here in the past and I believe they were given that avatar. I don't think they're a bigot.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, my wife and I are watching old Top Chef seaons (8 and 9 for the record), and there's a lot of poo poo that I am side-eying looking at it. Other than Mike Isabella and Paul Qui turning out to be real pieces of poo poo (and I heard the most recent winner is too), there is also the frankly insane amount of bullying, edgy sexist humour (Again mostly by Mike Isabella), and also the sheer "gently caress ANY INJURIES, PUSH THROUGH" wherein contestants literally got rushed to the E.R. and the other chefs are going "gently caress em, they shoulda just taped it up and kept working"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watch Master Chef Australia instead. A show where everyone, including the judges, are genuinely nice to each other.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Alhazred posted:

Watch Master Chef Australia instead. A show where everyone, including the judges, are genuinely nice to each other.

Master Chef UK: WHAT THE gently caress HAVE YOU DONE TO THIS EGGROLL YOU oval office! *rage*

Master Chef AU: Ooh, you oval office. You did something to this eggroll didn't you. It worked. :3:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

English being a largely analytical language with a singular "they" and non-gendered objects going back centuries actually makes it pretty good for representation in our increasingly non-binary world. Or so I've been told that other languages have a harder time making pronouns agree.

Yup. Romance languages (Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, Romanian, etc) all have the gender binary hard coded into them, to the point that even objects and concepts have arbitrary male or female genders. Most Portuguese news articles I have seen dealing with non binary or genderfluid people (most recent one I recall being on Ruby Rose) tend to just mention “this person identifies as non binary” and default to whatever pronouns the author feel best apply (female in RR’s case. In another case of how language affects thought, the same article refers to her as an “actress” as the current practice of using “actor” as a gender neutral term for performers still hasn’t caught on here because referring to someone as “a ator” instead of “o ator/a atriz” can sound a bit odd to the general public)

Being NB in a country where the primary language has this issue must be an utter nightmare, especially since proposing that an entirely new pronoun be created will likely be met with rage or ridicule.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 15:43 on Aug 8, 2021

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
gonna write paragraph upon paragraph of rambling justification of calling gay people gayboy because english is germanic but I'm not a bigot y'all

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

InediblePenguin posted:

gonna write paragraph upon paragraph of rambling justification of calling gay people gayboy because english is germanic but I'm not a bigot y'all

This whole "being mad for the sake of getting to take virtuous shots in" thing is what makes Twitter a loving hellsite and I'd rather it not germinate here, especially when the person you're talking about said:

"that's fine and i can respect it and follow their lead"

"while we should definitely follow the preferred conventions of a community that's finally creating its own terms for once instead of being slurred by outsiders"

"but i could be wrong tho"

There is no way a good faith reading of that post suggests that the poster is a bigot, and it's really unhelpful to lay that label on someone without a really good reason.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Pastry of the Year posted:

This whole "being mad for the sake of getting to take virtuous shots in" thing
um i am getting mad very genuinely because this affects my actual personal life, thanks for accusibg me of doing it performatively!!! very cool!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

InediblePenguin posted:

um i am getting mad very genuinely because this affects my actual personal life, thanks for accusibg me of doing it performatively!!! very cool!

Okay, dude.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Goddamn just take a knee on this one already

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Fumaofthelake posted:

Goddamn just take a knee on this one already

He’s a mod they can’t do that.

Got to die on every hill imaginable

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Why are we spending so much time slapfighting over the English language in the badly aged media thread when Walker Texas Ranger exists?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Why are we spending so much time slapfighting over the English language in the badly aged media thread when Walker Texas Ranger exists?

I’d guess because poorly aged media can lead to discussions about why things aged poorly, but that’s just a shot in the dark

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

cis post

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'd rather it not germinate here,

We'd better all switch to posting in Spanish then, because English is a germinate language

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

In a desperate bid to change the subject:

I just found out that Trevor Moore from The Whitest Kids U Know just died recently. I'm sure some of their stuff has held up better or worse than others.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Last Chance posted:

I’d guess because poorly aged media can lead to discussions about why things aged poorly, but that’s just a shot in the dark

Yeah but this left “discussion” behind a page or two ago and is just a “gently caress you!” “No, gently caress YOU!” bit at this point.

the_steve posted:

I just found out that Trevor Moore from The Whitest Kids U Know just died recently. I'm sure some of their stuff has held up better or worse than others.

I was watching some of their stuff for the first time in years and was surprised I still really enjoyed it. Especially the gallon of PCP sketch, and the slow jerk one. Average to good material elevated by absurdly good delivery.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

the_steve posted:

"An actor died, so let's take this moment of tragedy as an opportunity to ridicule their life's work." is certainly a way to deflect, sure.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Yeah but this left “discussion” behind a page or two ago and is just a “gently caress you!” “No, gently caress YOU!” bit at this point.

Okay, dude

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

AceOfFlames posted:

Yup. Romance languages (Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, Romanian, etc) all have the gender binary hard coded into them, to the point that even objects and concepts have arbitrary male or female genders.
Well, yes and no. There are a lot of words that do correlate between grammatical gender and human gender, but also scads of them that absolutely do not. My favorite example is the Spanish verga which is an informal term for the penis, an organ that those who hew to traditional notions would be hard-pressed to consider feminine.

Pluma (pen) is another word in the feminine grammatical gender where frankly, it is indeed incredibly arbitrary. Unless...

And that's without even considering the neut offer gender and languages without a masculine/feminine gender (Swedish, for example), languages where the primary distinction is between whether the thing being referred to is alive or not.

It's helpful in thinking about gender if you're not a native French speaker¹ to substitute the French genre.

In grammar and in cultural and social context, ultimately these things are a grouping of things, s convenient label, and sometimes that grouping can be unintuitive. And complex, to the disdain of people who will bitch endlessly about panromantic grey-ace demigirls but will also point out that Odinfärt is symphonic black metal with viking metal characteristics and definitely not the other way around, poser.

In conclusion, our languages are ultimately a reflection of ourselves: complicated, expressive, and most times baffling and dumb.

¹ if you are, call me

Ellie Crabcakes has a new favorite as of 04:47 on Aug 9, 2021

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Toshimo posted:

"An actor died, so let's take this moment of tragedy as an opportunity to ridicule their life's work." is certainly a way to deflect, sure.

Oh no, you got me, you saw right through my clever ruse. Oh wait...

I was watching some of their stuff for the first time in years and was surprised I still really enjoyed it. Especially the gallon of PCP sketch, and the slow jerk one. Average to good material elevated by absurdly good delivery.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Is that the good faith you were endorsing earlier?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

If you want to feel really old, it was about boomers. I feel like our dying economy has made enough of the traditional markers of middle age harder to get for long enough that age 40 is to us what age 30 was to the boomers.

I had some 10 year old try to explain the doge meme to me yesterday and I’m 50. He literally said “oh wow, I didn’t think you’d know what a meme is”.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

They were doing twitch streaming the past year during the pandemic, and they were pretty honest about what hasn’t aged well or sketches they didn’t like today.

One of their most famous sketches The Grapist was even more about Sam talking about how playing the character affected his personal life negatively than the sketch itself.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

The Horsedick.mpeg joke has probably aged pretty poorly

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Sketch comedy is interesting because famous sketches are usually either timeless, or age like milk. Or sketch adjacent stuff like the 2000’s wacky hijinx comedies.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The mention of The Whitest Kids You Know reminded me of this Kids in the Hall sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkDRZrZhE-Y

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

AceOfFlames posted:

Yup. Romance languages (Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, Romanian, etc)

So does German; however, English has completely dropped the gendering on non-living things… unless you count the gendering of ships, which in English are often given female gender pronouns… that’s about it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

rodbeard posted:

The mention of The Whitest Kids You Know reminded me of this Kids in the Hall sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkDRZrZhE-Y

ugh but also relevant to our convseration about English:

this is one of the best KiTH sketches ever.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

So does German; however, English has completely dropped the gendering on non-living things… unless you count the gendering of ships, which in English are often given female gender pronouns… that’s about it.

Ships cars guns, other things men like and feel like they own and are possessive about. Just patriarchy things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

oh just say "gently caress you" and probate me then. For gently caress's sake, what an assholish response.