Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

DownItGoes posted:

A plant in 10 colours, criticism/advice welcome.

It's nice. The pot shading is maybe a little too noisy? Maybe try some dither patterns to see if that cleans it up a bit and helps describe the curvature of the pot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

https://twitter.com/FrancisCoulombe/status/1416870333798395906?s=20
Another pixel shack starts soonish, this should be a real fun one.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

This was my entry this week. I've been doing tons of tiles for the last while so a little animation helps break things up.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

https://twitter.com/FrancisCoulombe/status/1424498879651778568?s=20
Ain't no party like a monster party.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

This was a bit rushed, especially the loop at the end, but it was fun to work on.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Glad this thread full of incredible talent was linked from the game dev thread! <3

I'm jealous of the skills going on here!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Scarodactyl posted:

This was a bit rushed, especially the loop at the end, but it was fun to work on.

I had a very long drag of a day, letting this run on my second monitor to help me chill out.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Scarodactyl posted:

Oh hell yeah! That's some good art.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Scarodactyl posted:

Stuff like this needs suggested soundtracks that it syncs to.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Thanks! It's time for the next one, Heroes of the Lance
https://twitter.com/FrancisCoulombe/status/1427042294641872898
It's always fun, I highly recommend it. The stream is here: https://twitch.tv/frankiepixelshow should start up soon.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hi pixel art thread

When I was 15 I was really into making pixel art, but I just traced things like concept art from strategy guides lmao. This is all that I have left from that era of my life, i had to log into a photobucket account from 2003 to find these

Almost 2 decades later I got into actual traditional drawing but recently I'm wanting to do pixel art stuff again. So I've been sketching a low-effort little 64x64 creature every day for a while now:

And I've done some avatar-sized landscape pixel art painting... things.

4x size:
(I legitimately question whether these count as "pixel art" because I drew them in procreate with a stylus. They were drawn with 1px brushes and at 180x180, but I had the advantage of blending modes, layering, pressure-sensitive opacity, etc :shrug: )

Anyway I have a question and I'm not sure if this is the best thread for it but I don't know where else would be better; as a project for myself and to get used to what it takes to create the art for a videogame, I'd like to find a game with 2d static tiles (like a Roguelike maybe, no animations) that has easy integration of custom tilesets and create a custom tileset for it. I've been leaning toward ToME for a bunch of reasons: It allows tiles any size up to 120x120 and I like larger sizes, it has kind of bad base art that I don't like the style of, and I've played it a lot. But the scale of it is absurd; there are nearly 12,000 sprites (modular pieces) for the player character tile, 3000 terrain tiles, and ~1500 monster/npc/object tiles.

Are there any other games that anyone in here can think of with easily-moddable 2d art that an amateur can take on by themself?

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 25, 2021

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
You could make a nethack tileset without too much trouble.

Not exactly the same thing, but a very common thing you see posted is Minecraft reworks, both the textures and whatever you call the 2d elements.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

(I legitimately question whether these count as "pixel art" because I drew them in procreate with a stylus. They were drawn with 1px brushes and at 180x180, but I had the advantage of blending modes, layering, pressure-sensitive opacity, etc :shrug: )

IMO it counts because "pixel art" refers to the result, not the process.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

a7m2 posted:

IMO it counts because "pixel art" refers to the result, not the process.

First post disagrees with you, and indicates these would not be pixel art (though they're nice low resolution digital paintings)

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Yeah, that isn't really pixel art in a traditional sense. It's nice and fun work though.

I forgot to post about the pixel shack this week. It was (still is technically, not 'over' until tomorrow evening) A Nightmare on Elm Street on NES
https://twitter.com/FrancisCoulombe/status/1431457814787018754?s=20
I am still using these to practice animation so mine is a bit conceptually tenuous.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Gonna go ahead and double post because I am still amazed at how much better TheJDude made this:
https://twitter.com/UltraJDude/status/1432370021875863553?s=20

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
poo poo I only noticed I haven't posted any of my art itt this year?

Here's a few things from the summer. The game has been taking up so much of my time... Most of the pixelling I'm doing atm is like a single tile I realised I needed late or the side of a button or whatever, which is hard to show off

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Shoehead posted:

poo poo I only noticed I haven't posted any of my art itt this year?

Here's a few things from the summer. The game has been taking up so much of my time... Most of the pixelling I'm doing atm is like a single tile I realised I needed late or the side of a button or whatever, which is hard to show off

Those look really good, I really like the Lady and Shark.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
did some posters

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Those are awesome!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

exmarx posted:

did some posters

They look superb.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I've been very busy lately with alot of stuff, so I'm just gonna show off the most interesting things.

And also I did this mod for Rivals of Aether, which I am very proud of!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUiA1wZWUwo
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2650595821

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 13, 2021

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I've been very busy lately with alot of stuff, so I'm just gonna show off the most interesting things.

And also I did this mod for Rivals of Aether, which I am very proud of!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUiA1wZWUwo
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2650595821

Those are some really nice stuff. How long did that street scene take you?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

bessantj posted:

Those are some really nice stuff. How long did that street scene take you?

the street scene is from my game, it's more of a screenshot of the tilemap than anything.
I honestly couldn't tell you how long it took though. grand majority of that tileset I did last year, I just finally got around to replacing the ugly buildings and adding shadow layers and trees sometime 2-3 months ago.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I really like the sidewalks in particular. Nice subtle work.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Diabetes Forecast posted:

the street scene is from my game, it's more of a screenshot of the tilemap than anything.
I honestly couldn't tell you how long it took though. grand majority of that tileset I did last year, I just finally got around to replacing the ugly buildings and adding shadow layers and trees sometime 2-3 months ago.

Looks good, looks lived in.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Been a while since I last did any pixel work that wasn't just fudging game assets slightly.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Shinmera posted:

Been a while since I last did any pixel work that wasn't just fudging game assets slightly.

Very nice!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Shinmera posted:

That looks cool.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Would anyone mind to critique my first walk cycle?

Here's the sheet if that helps.

Thank you~

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Wow. Gorgeous

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Bean posted:

Would anyone mind to critique my first walk cycle?

Here's the sheet if that helps.

Thank you~

I think as a first attempt its fantastic, instead of actually trying to explain a few things, I've done a real quick and dirty few minor changes on it here:

- Frame 4 and 8 had the neck line shifting up, shoulders have been brought up to match
- The gut was kind of shifting out of sync, I made it a bit less...shifty
- Shifted the shoulder forward 1px on frames 6 and 7
- Made the arm swing upwards a bit on frame 2 when its furthest back, before 1 2 and 3 had the arm doing a different shape but it didn't quite convey the movement
- Pointed the toes towards the ground on frames 2 and 6 - I didn't do a great job of it
- Sped it up a bit, but that was just to make it easier for me to see what needed changed motion wise

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I've got jobs doing pixel art at this point, which has been great since I quit my job 4 months ago, but I finally had some time to sit down and finish this animation.

I was frankly never satisfied with it, so it feels good to finally smooth it out and give it more bounce/subpixelling.
hopefully I can make more animations for her and finalize a Rivals of Aether character.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 18, 2022

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

^^Congrats on the job!

That looks so good. how long did it take you?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

bessantj posted:

That looks so good. how long did it take you?

thanks – not sure how many hours, i worked on it on-and-off over a week.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Thank you for the help. I took your suggestions and worked on it a whole bunch.

I did change it to six frames, but it's now:

I also have a front facing one:

I'd love any critique you have

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Looking pretty good. You might as well try adding actual details and seeing how it looks. You can only go so far w/ blocking in!

I tried converting an old tileset I was making to Aseprite's tiled editor. I kinda wish I wanted to make a platformer, but, yeah. Whoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

anothergod posted:

Looking pretty good. You might as well try adding actual details and seeing how it looks. You can only go so far w/ blocking in!

I tried converting an old tileset I was making to Aseprite's tiled editor. I kinda wish I wanted to make a platformer, but, yeah. Whoops.

That looks pretty cool. Reminds me of Castlevania.