Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

so i guess that's been in production hell for a while with LMM on board but on the heels of Encanto (and hell, Disney squeezing him in elsewhere before) i am definitely feeling some fatigue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

Netflix killing it with animated movies this year, this looks gooooood

https://youtu.be/BOe8L69JpVI
i feel like that trailer spoils a major thing based on one shot near the end, someone needs to strangle netflix's marketing arm

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

Netflix killing it with animated movies this year, this looks gooooood

https://youtu.be/BOe8L69JpVI

This feels like it was two different movie ideas crammed into one.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

dogsicle posted:

so i guess that's been in production hell for a while with LMM on board but on the heels of Encanto (and hell, Disney squeezing him in elsewhere before) i am definitely feeling some fatigue

yeah I was kinda fine with LMM being the new Alan Menken but whew, this is a lot of LMM all at once. movie looks cute though

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hawkperson posted:

yeah I was kinda fine with LMM being the new Alan Menken but whew, this is a lot of LMM all at once. movie looks cute though
LMM's music all sounds the same though. Bleh!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Td44FuR474

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I didn’t expect the replies to this to be so vitriolic. I guess Indie Wire readers have really turned on Miranda.

https://mobile.twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1420731584681062403

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Ccs posted:

I didn’t expect the replies to this to be so vitriolic. I guess Indie Wire readers have really turned on Miranda.

ah, the latest episode of "everyone I don't like is CIA"

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Somebody on discord said that movie looks like imperialist propaganda but i'm pretty sure it's about a kinkajou going on an adventure

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
https://twitter.com/ralphbakshi/status/1422029140723597315
my favourite thing is looking at photos of fritz-era bakshi and then lotr-era bakshi, where only ~7 years have passed but he looks like he's aged about two decades

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
People just aged like that back then. Smoking, booze, and drugs.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Ghost Leviathan posted:

People just aged like that back then. Smoking, booze, and drugs.
plus, the animation industry

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Just look at Frank Miller; last I remember, he looked like he was in his eighties when he was only a bit over half that.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i think lotr came closest to physically killing bakshi but cool world was the greatest threat to his existence, like it threatened to make him shrivel up and vanish from reality like a fairy in whom the children no longer believe

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Hedrigall posted:

Somebody on discord said that movie looks like imperialist propaganda but i'm pretty sure it's about a kinkajou going on an adventure

There's a reason why I do not engage with That Part of the internet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A love letter to Cuba, not set in Cuba, and not featuring people who've actually ever seen Cuba for over half a century

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Ccs posted:

Like I get why people respond to him a bit harshly as like a personality, but, I dunno I thought In The Heights was pretty good.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A love letter to Cuba, not set in Cuba, and not featuring people who've actually ever seen Cuba for over half a century

granted I'm just skimming the wikipedia article but this guy seems to have some firsthand experience

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

perepelki posted:

i think lotr came closest to physically killing bakshi but cool world was the greatest threat to his existence, like it threatened to make him shrivel up and vanish from reality like a fairy in whom the children no longer believe

Basically, the plot to "cool world"

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Ccs posted:

Very strong Poochie vibe from that girl.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Finished watching He-Man.
You know I barely remember the cartoon from when I was young. I obviously remember He-Man himself. I remembered the floating comic relief magic thing and scooby tiger. And upon seeing him the weird guy with the rotating eye that doesn't seem to do anything. I think he had an eye laser sometimes? But he apparently forgot he had it this cartoon. :shrug: Evil-Lyn I remembered upon her reintroduction because her name is a pun on my sisters name. That's literally all I remembered going in.
Still I enjoyed this.
Episode 1-4 are basically perfect Saturday morning cartoon fair, but with some excellent voice acting.
Episode 5 is fantastic.
Does some fun things in a world where magic is commonplace.
Quite ballsy calling it He-man then offing him after the first 10 minutes only to reintroduce him 20 minutes before the end and immediately off him again.

The Roboto sacrifice was really touching, especially since I didn't even remember him.

Didn't care for floating comic relief so him possibly dieing didn't do anything for me.

Teela's do everything staff weapon was awesome.

Loving Mark Hamill Skeletor. My wife was in the room over even commented on his evil voice sounded deliciously hammy evil. "He must've practised that one a lot!"

Looking forward to the second season.

Now to trudge through Transformers Kingdom.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Yeah, I liked it for taking the story the places it did. I never watched the show when I was a kid but recognised most of the characters through cultural osmosis.

I felt a lot of the scenes that were obviously supposed to be "epic moments" were really flat and didn't elicit much of a response from me, maybe because I have no real nostalgia for the show, maybe the score is a bit weak? I'm not sure what the problem was, maybe they're a bit shoehorned in when it's such a short runtime so far.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

FunkyAl posted:

Basically, the plot to "cool world"
i think the original plot of cool world was more autobiographical, where a cartoonist fucks his cartoon wife and their resulting half-cartoon half-biological child tracks him down and murders him

interestingly, that describes how i feel to this day about my deviantart ocs

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The wise artist fears their own creations, yes

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RFwyobtnKA

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

With collaboration from the daughter of a Batista thug & Bay of Pigs combatant.

Like I can understand wanting to give this a shot, maybe it will be the most mushmouthed and """apolitical""" film ever, but marketing it as "a love letter to Cuba" given some of its pedigree is going to alienate some folk.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 4, 2021

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’m watching Vivo on Netflix

It’s cute, the animation is really good, but it’s like 400% Lin Manuel Miranda so if you’re allergic to him stay awayyy

He’s already rapping in like the first 20 seconds of the movie

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Finished Vivo, I quite liked it, but i'm one of those weird Hamilton-likers you may have heard about

It's no Mitchells Vs The Machines but Netflix really is doing some great & varied stuff with animation this year

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I was pretty meh on Vivo. I thought the plot and characters were all over the place and needed a lot of retooling to work as a proper story. Like either stick to a talking animal-only journey movie or one entirely with humans (+Vivo). Instead they tried to just throw everything and the kitchen sink into the film. The girl scout characters' motivations didn't even really make sense and they shouldn't have been included.

It's also as you said, pure concentrated Lin-Manuel Miranda, like incredibly so to the point of being a parody. It might have worked better if they had cast some younger voice as the lead instead of him and just let him write the songs. Hearing his voice coming out of the little yellow monkey character didn't feel right and reminded me of Pixar casting Tina Fey in Soul. In addition, when Gabi sang how people say she's at a 10 and they need her to be a 3, I totally agree. She was very grating.

Silly nerdy nitpick is that the whole sheet music thing was so contrived because as a tech-savvy girl, Gabi should have immediately taken a photo of the sheet music with her phone when she found it. Instead, we have the cliche of the physical page being the only copy in the whole world so it can be easily destroyed.
If we didn't even want to have the movie happen at all, they could have just emailed a copy of the sheet music with a message to the singer. Boom, adventure avoided.

...also, can you just go all the way through the Everglades and reach Miami like that in a couple hours???

:goonsay:

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 9, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Watched an episode of Speed Racer I'd not seen before. In addition to starting with a guy getting gunned down, the episode ends with a battle between speed and a man on horseback with a sword where right before the man plummets to his death we cut to Speed completely stone faced, watching it happen, and not even trying to stop it.

I love Speed Racer

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

JazzFlight posted:

I was pretty meh on Vivo. I thought the plot and characters were all over the place and needed a lot of retooling to work as a proper story. Like either stick to a talking animal-only journey movie or one entirely with humans (+Vivo). Instead they tried to just throw everything and the kitchen sink into the film. The girl scout characters' motivations didn't even really make sense and they shouldn't have been included.

It's also as you said, pure concentrated Lin-Manuel Miranda, like incredibly so to the point of being a parody. It might have worked better if they had cast some younger voice as the lead instead of him and just let him write the songs. Hearing his voice coming out of the little yellow monkey character didn't feel right and reminded me of Pixar casting Tiny Fey in Soul. In addition, when Gabi sang how people say she's at a 10 and they need her to be a 3, I totally agree. She was very grating.

Silly nerdy nitpick is that the whole sheet music thing was so contrived because as a tech-savvy girl, Gabi should have immediately taken a photo of the sheet music with her phone when she found it. Instead, we have the cliche of the physical page being the only copy in the whole world so it can be easily destroyed.
If we didn't even want to have the movie happen at all, they could have just emailed a copy of the sheet music with a message to the singer. Boom, adventure avoided.

...also, can you just go all the way through the Everglades and reach Miami like that in a couple hours???

:goonsay:

Yeah my fiancé and I were yelling at the characters to take a photo or make a copy somehow lol

The annoying girl’s song being “yeah I’m annoying as gently caress and I don’t care, I like me” kinda works for her character, and after the first grating impressions it’s kinda become an earworm for me (also the animation in that scene was cool)

Yeah I got the Vivo Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, what of it?

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 9, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Barudak posted:

Watched an episode of Speed Racer I'd not seen before. In addition to starting with a guy getting gunned down, the episode ends with a battle between speed and a man on horseback with a sword where right before the man plummets to his death we cut to Speed completely stone faced, watching it happen, and not even trying to stop it.

I love Speed Racer

If anything, the movie barely scratched the surface of how bonkers the show could get.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah this was my take on it too. I couldn't get into it. It just didn't have much of a soul, and most of the songs didn't do much for me either even though I'm usually a sucker for those.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

cataloguing lotr, wizards and american pop was an effortless whirlwind of hallucinogenic joy, but chipping away the strange diamond inside of cool world is a slog. i feel like a medieval monk

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If anything, the movie barely scratched the surface of how bonkers the show could get.

I still laugh at how the movie handled Racer X

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Barudak posted:

I love Speed Racer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC0YAJR6xQQ

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is the part where I'm obligated to re-up my recommendation for Redline, which is sort of like if someone did a lot of cocaine, watched Speed Racer, then decided to remake it with incredibly lush animation, an absolutely bangin' soundtrack, and somehow less of a plot or characters.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Robindaybird posted:

I still laugh at how the movie handled Racer X

It’s such a brilliant twist.

I need to watch the movie again, it’s been a while.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Boxman posted:

This is the part where I'm obligated to re-up my recommendation for Redline, which is sort of like if someone did a lot of cocaine, watched Speed Racer, then decided to remake it with incredibly lush animation, an absolutely bangin' soundtrack, and somehow less of a plot or characters.

can confirm Redline is extremely rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I need to watch Redline again.