Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Rotten Red Rod posted:

gently caress yeah, those were awesome. Although it's telling I almost exclusively played them in my local nickel arcade's free play area.

Lately it seems like Square would rather develop their own IPs instead of using other people's, though. The failure of Avengers will likely cement that, as it really should have been a sure thing, but the ball was dropped hard. (And yes, I know Kingdom Hearts exists, but that is one hell of an anomaly.)

Square-Enix Europe (via Eidos Montreal) is putting out Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy later this year so I don't think they've quite given up on lucrative outside properties yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah but that's not Square internal. I'm sure Marvel will continue to be an important IP for Square's 2nd and 3rd party developers, but I doubt they'll make any licensed games THEMSELVES anytime soon. Not saying this is a big change or anything, just that it's clear that's what they prefer to do. (Again, aside from Kingdom Hearts, which I figure Disney is pretty hands-off on, probably because it prints money, and also because who the gently caress at Disney understands it enough to actually control it).

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

Resposting this video reminded me of the line "phase plasma rifle in the 40 watt range"

That should probably be megawatt, right? 40 watts is like, nothing. There are lightbulbs that eat up 20 watts.

I have this theory about that line that is probably more thought than anyone working on the movie put into it:

-the plasma bolts in the future war scenes are purple, which is the color of air in a plasma state
-40 watts isn't enough power to cause the kind of damage the plasma bolts are shown to cause, especially since the impact with the target lasts for only a short time (40 watts delivered over 0.25 seconds is only 10 joules of energy, for instance)

So for this line to make sense, the plasma weapons probably suck in air from the environment, ionize it with a 40 watt plasma source (like a very short wavelength UV laser) and then propel it at extremely high speeds out the barrel of the weapon. The total power consumption of the weapon while firing would be far greater than 40 watts, but a 40 watt plasma source would generate a lot of plasma for use as "ammunition."

The reason why the power of the plasma source would matter while characterizing a weapon is that a weapon that fires big blasts (like the vehicle mounted ones) or lots of smaller blasts at rapid fire (like the minigun used by the infiltrator) would need higher power plasma generators to maintain their rate of fire than an assault rifle-style one (like the ones used by the resistance members). But since we don't have any point of reference, we don't know if the terminator was asking for a smaller weapon or a larger weapon at the gun shop. Given his other weapon choices, I assume he would have wanted an assault rifle-style one.

edit: of course the real reason for the line was to show in a slightly-silly way the level of uncertainty Skynet had for this time period - it didn't know that these weapons weren't available back then, just like how it didn't know which Sarah Connor needed to die.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 9, 2021

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Charles Darwin's great-great-great-great grandson plays an MMO.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

So I for some reason got into VR to play Elite Dangerous when Odyssey came out and now I stupidly bought into Star Citizen after looking at it for years, because a bunch of people online keep swearing that the game is real and has things now.

I make terrible decisions with my life.

Anyway I loaded it up and hit the button to go into the sandbox, and made my character with what is one of the weirdest character creation systems I have ever used, and was dropped in I guess my apartment building. Then I walked around and there were a bunch of npcs doing nothing that I can't do anything with. It is flashing literally dozens of help text things at the bottom of the screen, and I wandered around thinking that he game would have something that would allow me to fly the ship I bought to get into the game. So I took a tram to the spaceport and there is nothing there to interact with. Am I missing something? If I wanted to play a game where I walk around a city with nothing to do and npcs stand on top of each other and I can't interact with vendors, I'd play cyberpunk.

Seriously can't someone make a game that is a space world that you can fly around in just sol and fight for control of things, and take over stations or something and it's just a more fleshed out world that isn't a mile wide and an inch deep?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/IXNvzlq.gifv

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Dwesa posted:

IGN has CIG's Orison trailer on YouTube. And comment section is not very kind. But it happens every time SC is shown outside its bubble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHqchwOKX9U

Wait, low gravity but breathable atmosphere? That's nonsense. The atmosphere density is determined by gravity. That's why air gets thinner the higher you get up.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Cutedge posted:

Am I missing something?

I think you'll find all of your problem solved if you buy an Idris.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Lammasu posted:

Wait, low gravity but breathable atmosphere? That's nonsense. The atmosphere density is determined by gravity. That's why air gets thinner the higher you get up.

Welcome to Store Citizen, commando, now buy more ships

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Lammasu posted:

That’s why they have supplemental argon supplies.

So I hear the new patch is fantastic and Star Citizen is finally good! How many Idrim should I buy to celebrate?

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

BattleMaster posted:

I have this theory about that line that is probably more thought than anyone working on the movie put into it:

-the plasma bolts in the future war scenes are purple, which is the color of air in a plasma state
-40 watts isn't enough power to cause the kind of damage the plasma bolts are shown to cause, especially since the impact with the target lasts for only a short time (40 watts delivered over 0.25 seconds is only 10 joules of energy, for instance)

So for this line to make sense, the plasma weapons probably suck in air from the environment, ionize it with a 40 watt plasma source (like a very short wavelength UV laser) and then propel it at extremely high speeds out the barrel of the weapon. The total power consumption of the weapon while firing would be far greater than 40 watts, but a 40 watt plasma source would generate a lot of plasma for use as "ammunition."

The reason why the power of the plasma source would matter while characterizing a weapon is that a weapon that fires big blasts (like the vehicle mounted ones) or lots of smaller blasts at rapid fire (like the minigun used by the infiltrator) would need higher power plasma generators to maintain their rate of fire than an assault rifle-style one (like the ones used by the resistance members). But since we don't have any point of reference, we don't know if the terminator was asking for a smaller weapon or a larger weapon at the gun shop. Given his other weapon choices, I assume he would have wanted an assault rifle-style one.

edit: of course the real reason for the line was to show in a slightly-silly way the level of uncertainty Skynet had for this time period - it didn't know that these weapons weren't available back then, just like how it didn't know which Sarah Connor needed to die.

honestly i wouldn't be surprised if James Cameron actually had put a non-zero amount of thought into little details like this, for authenticity's sake if nothing else. plus, iirc he did study physics at least for some time (before becoming a truck driver and then a movie director almost as successful as Chris Roberts)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Lammasu posted:

It's nit picky but it's CIG who insists on ~fideltiy~ and everything being totally real and not faked so I'm gonna pick that nit any way.

If you are already shipping resources to build spaceships into space you would be better off building them on an orbital platform with zero gravity but an artificial atmosphere. The whole concept of shipping everything to a floating city (that uses thrusters to "float") kind of defeats the purpose.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lammasu posted:

CIG: Our concept of reality ends with 4K textures on a 1M polygon model of a tube of toothpaste you can't interact with.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

The Titanic posted:

14 year old Elminster fights to maintain his spiked hair affinity for gathering core earth knowledge and a love of nature whilst belt-savvy key hunter Drizzt stops him at every turn when he rides in on his smoke billowing steampunk horse-drawn chariot covered in black spikes.

unironically would own and play

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://v.redd.it/hovhdcic9cg71/DASH_1080.mp4?source=fallback

legitimately dont know if its better or worse with the audio

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well we'll never know as there is no audio :v:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Dwesa posted:

IGN has CIG's Orison trailer on YouTube. And comment section is not very kind. But it happens every time SC is shown outside its bubble.

ok help me out here

what is this? an ad for their next planet?

is it a planet or is this the cloud city thing they are hyping up now?

also;

at 2:10 i'm the crowd of NPC's that are really just a bunch of the same 10 or so placed over and over to hide that they're just standing there stiff as boards

in fact the only things moving at that time are the front and centre guy waving and the mascot, everyone else is just in an idle stiff standing animation swaying side to side

how loving lazy , and probably when they tried to animate the entire crowd moving it just burst into flames anyways

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Cut them some slack, it is tough to follow up on the animated masterpiece they made for the holidays.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Blue On Blue posted:

how loving lazy , and probably when they tried to animate the entire crowd moving it just burst into flames anyways

C'mon, what do you expect? They've only had 9 years to get this far.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

marumaru posted:

https://v.redd.it/hovhdcic9cg71/DASH_1080.mp4?source=fallback

legitimately dont know if its better or worse with the audio

If you summon u/vredditshare it will rehost the vid with sound for you on subs it's not banned from

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Thoatse posted:

If you summon u/vredditshare it will rehost the vid with sound for you on subs it's not banned from

oh, good to know, thanks!

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cutedge posted:

(...)Seriously can't someone make a game that is a space world that you can fly around in just sol and fight for control of things, and take over stations or something and it's just a more fleshed out world that isn't a mile wide and an inch deep?

If you join some superpower in Elite and visit its discord, they'll teach you how to fight for control of things, there are systems exchanged every week. It doesn't really show in the game per se (which is kinda reasonable, I guess, when communists stole Czechoslovakia in 1948 and then occupied it with army in 1968 we didn't stop manufacturing and selling stuff - and that's what ppl are mostly doing at stations), but it does happen.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Dwesa posted:

So I've been watching the Star Citizen saga unfold from the sidelines for a few years now but I keep seeing this in the videos and I have to ask...

Why do they keep making space car commercials that also bizarrely push the hilariously tired SPACE EMPIRE trope? It's like I'm watching creepy fictional propaganda for a fascist 1984-type society that shows how the ruling class live in luxury with space mansions and space yachts but the other 90% live in subjugated, fetid squalor.

Also, what's the the dumb names? Stanton? Hurston? ArcCorp... is the name of a planet and Area18 is the name of a city on the planet? Wtf?

Did a 10 year-old's science fiction story get turned into a 300 million dollar game?

Edit: I just went to the website for the first time in years and they will literally charge me $1.00 if I want premium wood paneling inside my video game spaceship, $2.00 if I want a sick gaming chair for my cockpit. Jesus gently caress this is awful.

Penitent fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 10, 2021

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Penitent posted:

So I've been watching the Star Citizen saga unfold from the sidelines for a few years now but I keep seeing this in the videos and I have to ask...

Why do they keep making space car commercials that also bizarrely push the hilariously tired SPACE EMPIRE trope? It's like I'm watching creepy fictional propaganda for a fascist 1984-type society that shows how the ruling class live in luxury with space mansions and space yachts but the other 90% live in subjugated, fetid squalor.

Also, what's the the dumb names? Stanton? Hurston? ArcCorp... is the name of a planet and Area18 is the name of a city on the planet? Wtf?

Did a 10 year-old's science fiction story get turned into a 300 million dollar game?

Edit: I just went to the website for the first time in years and they will literally charge me $1.00 if I want premium wood paneling inside my video game spaceship, $2.00 if I want a sick gaming chair for my cockpit. Jesus gently caress this is awful.

Q: Run down, rebel-like space science fiction universe?
A: This is the only science fiction universe Chris has been able to do since the first wing commander game. It's WW2 in space along with all the necessary Earth-regions converted to aliens.

Q: Dumb names?
A: This is the epitome of Chris Roberts creative juices.

Q: Planets that are corporations?
A: This is the popular stuff from his 1980's ideas. A planet is just there for a job. The whole planet.

Q: The kid who scribbled notes on his fifth grade trapper keeper for "the most awesome game evar!!!!" design notes became grown up?
A: Pretty much yes. If that fifth grade kid scribbles it... it's basically in Star Citizen and yes it will have all the other games combined because that's how the fifth grader makes a game. It's easy. You just got to have that idea.

Q: Micro transactions on top of my macro transactions?
A: Yes plz. This is CIG, making EA look chaste for how it tries to get money from people. If you spend enough you get rewarded too, and unlock more parts of the store hidden to the general public because they only want truly insane people with no self control to see the whole thing because they won't complain about it being vicious and money grubbing and scammy.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Penitent posted:

Chris Roberts entire library of knowledge in which he can pull from for artistic inspiration starts and ends with;

This page left intentionally blank

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
It's finally time to break out of Larry Nivens shadow and step behind Larry Laffer.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Penitent posted:

This is only a promise to develop wood panelling and a gamer chair. *probably*

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

The Titanic posted:

Q: Run down, rebel-like space science fiction universe?
A: This is the only science fiction universe Chris has been able to do since the first wing commander game. It's WW2 in space along with all the necessary Earth-regions converted to aliens.

Q: Dumb names?
A: This is the epitome of Chris Roberts creative juices.

Q: Planets that are corporations?
A: This is the popular stuff from his 1980's ideas. A planet is just there for a job. The whole planet.

Q: The kid who scribbled notes on his fifth grade trapper keeper for "the most awesome game evar!!!!" design notes became grown up?
A: Pretty much yes. If that fifth grade kid scribbles it... it's basically in Star Citizen and yes it will have all the other games combined because that's how the fifth grader makes a game. It's easy. You just got to have that idea.

Q: Micro transactions on top of my macro transactions?
A: Yes plz. This is CIG, making EA look chaste for how it tries to get money from people. If you spend enough you get rewarded too, and unlock more parts of the store hidden to the general public because they only want truly insane people with no self control to see the whole thing because they won't complain about it being vicious and money grubbing and scammy.

"Hi, I'm over 40 with a beer gut and and I perpetually think World War 2 happened 40 years ago. If you are like me, you're white, from an entitled western culture, and probably like runny beans and boiled ham for breakfast and second breakfast. Now imagine the perfect video game... "

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
Why you doxxing me bro

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Kosumo posted:

Star Citizen - it's lame.

Star Citizen - Its Tane.

Dwesa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCFF3zJPEec

Star Citizen is still trying to answer the call.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Penitent posted:

Yes!
/
:iiasb:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dwesa posted:

The comments section is the real winner here.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

phosdex posted:

C'mon, what do you expect? They've only had 9 years to get this far.

Early days!

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

skeletors_condom posted:

Charles Darwin's great-great-great-great grandson plays an MMO.

What citizens say: I'm really concerned that criminal gameplay will be too easy

Translation: I'm really concerned that Star Citizen will get gameplay

At least that's how I see it.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
"I'm concerned about griefing, but can't find any way to express this that doesn't criticise the core 'concepts' of this mess."

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Penitent posted:

Are you a middle-aged upper-middle-class guy with no yacht, but would like to own one?

Have you been honestly impressed by future depicted in Starship Troopers movie without noticing any satire?

Do you lack imagination and every time you wanted to be creative, you just came up with something from pop culture?

Are you a compulsive buyer?

Then Star Citizen is for you, buy an Idris.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 10, 2021

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Now I had to explain why I was laughing so hard at work.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Cutedge posted:

So I for some reason got into VR to play Elite Dangerous when Odyssey came out and now I stupidly bought into Star Citizen after looking at it for years, because a bunch of people online keep swearing that the game is real and has things now.

I make terrible decisions with my life.

Anyway I loaded it up and hit the button to go into the sandbox, and made my character with what is one of the weirdest character creation systems I have ever used, and was dropped in I guess my apartment building. Then I walked around and there were a bunch of npcs doing nothing that I can't do anything with. It is flashing literally dozens of help text things at the bottom of the screen, and I wandered around thinking that he game would have something that would allow me to fly the ship I bought to get into the game. So I took a tram to the spaceport and there is nothing there to interact with. Am I missing something? If I wanted to play a game where I walk around a city with nothing to do and npcs stand on top of each other and I can't interact with vendors, I'd play cyberpunk.

Seriously can't someone make a game that is a space world that you can fly around in just sol and fight for control of things, and take over stations or something and it's just a more fleshed out world that isn't a mile wide and an inch deep?

It is clear that you don't understand game development. You'll need to buy some more ships

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Cutedge posted:

Hahaa! Joke's on you.
SC already fulfils those criteria by being an arms-length wide and a hair's breadth deep, and the fact that depth is measured in breadth should tell you everything you need about the mind-bogglingly inventive nature of its dimensionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

Cutedge posted:

I stupidly bought into Star Citizen after looking at it for years

The gently caress is wrong with you? :chloe: