Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
holo/caust=coin

pog=to genocide with gas

bitcoin=genociding a pair of gases

Not the most intuitive joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/jstein_wapo/status/1424834786024202242?s=21

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

it's ok bitcoin is safe from government control

it's just the people who use it who have to worry

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Shame Boy posted:

i feel like that to even begin to think that way you already have to accept as obviously true the notion that the jews control all the wealth which lmao

I got the impression his angle was "governments controlling the money is really bad because eventually they will use their control to round people up and exterminate them like the nazis did to jews!"

which is also very stupid of course, just differently stupid.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Boxturret posted:

gotta hand it to the 'muck, that's legitimately impressive. i never thought he'd be able to surpass the sheer stupidity of shooting a car in the vauge direction of mars, but here he is launching an ipad in to space and charging people fake money to post pictures on it

to make it even dumber, like most of his ideas he's stealing it from another company that tried to do this in the 90's, at which time congress actually banned it so uh good luck i guess musk

quote:

Space Marketing Inc. (1993) - Proposed launching a billboard into space. Was ultimately blocked by House of Representatives members passing legislation to prevent the issue of launch licenses for the purpose of putting advertisements in space.

e: i guess that's only for stuff you can actually see from earth, which was the idea at the time, but this is something you can't see from earth i guess?? so it's fine because it's pointless, great

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 9, 2021

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

and here i thought Bitcoin couldn't go any lower...

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

donating all my bitcoins to the DC Holocaust Museum. they'll understand.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Alan Smithee posted:

NFT advertising

nuke fremont twice

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

https://twitter.com/jack/status/1424854924194729984

good news

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

njsykora posted:

because no one who buys ads with actual money is stupid enough to buy ads somewhere no one will see them

I actually can’t decide if this is just another extension of the billionaire space fetish or a genius idea to grift more from elon’s cult followers

it's both

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

even if you thought bitcoin etc. Was good, what drugs would lead you to such a statement? And not thinking "god I sound like such a tool" after you did it?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

he means unite the world against it, common enemy theory

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

even if you thought bitcoin etc. Was good, what drugs would lead you to such a statement? And not thinking "god I sound like such a tool" after you did it?

poo poo-for-brains syndrome

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
When you’re too rich to fail you say a lot of fail words

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

EorayMel posted:

holo/caust=coin

pog=to genocide with gas

bitcoin=genociding a pair of gases

Not the most intuitive joke.

It is definitely not.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

he probably just didnt eat for a week

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

i'm too stupid to understand this wording and the results from 5 seconds of googling. the rejection of the amendmant to the change to the proposal i get lost.

obviously whatever happened is good for bitcoin, but is it good for bitcoin because the government IS going to crack down now or is it good for bitcoin because the government is NOT going to crack down now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Same Great Paste posted:

i'm too stupid to understand this wording and the results from 5 seconds of googling. the rejection of the amendmant to the change to the proposal i get lost.

obviously whatever happened is good for bitcoin, but is it good for bitcoin because the government IS going to crack down now or is it good for bitcoin because the government is NOT going to crack down now.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

stop doxxing me

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Midjack posted:

nachweis der arbeit macht frei

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Same Great Paste posted:

yes, the choice of wording almost had to be deliberately chosen to be this bad. usually "tighter restrictions" would be BIG GOVERNMENT, but this time they are "tighter restrictions on ... reporting requirements" so they wanted to hold back the big evil government more but failed, meaning that they are, in fact, going to require you to report things.

basically, it's good for bitcoin

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed/status/1424923724361478181

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

gently caress he got the idea from this didn't he

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyn28VzMBgE

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

this horse is like the opposite of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frenzy_of_Exultations (:nws: for art nipples i guess)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the infrastructure bill as of monday last week

section 80603 of the act (meaning section 3 of title vi of division h — it's a big bill, but not 80,000 sections big), starting on page 2433 of that pdf, changes the us revenue code as follows:

• it amends the definition of "broker" to include "any person who (for consideration) is responsible for regularly providing any service effectuating transfers of digital assets on behalf of another person", which basically means that crypto exchanges would now be brokers;
  • it amends the definition of "security" in the section on brokerage reporting to include "any digital asset", defined as "any digital representation of value which is recorded on a cryptographically secured distributed ledger or any similar technology as specified by the Secretary [of the treasury]", which basically means that brokers would have to report sales, purchases, and exchanges of digital assets to both account holders and the irs, like stock brokers do on a 1099;
  • it imposes a new requirement to report, for "any transfer (which is not part of a sale or exchange executed by such broker) during a calendar year of a covered security which is a digital asset from an account maintained by such broker to an account which is not maintained by, or an address not associated with, a person that such broker knows or has reason to know is also a broker, [...] the information otherwise required to be furnished with respect to transfers subject to [the previous subsection about sales and exchanges]", which basically means that brokers would also have to report transfers of digital assets out of the brokerage accounts; and
  • it amends the law (26 USC 6050I) that requires cash transactions of more than $10,000 to be reported to also apply to digital assets, the same as it applies to foreign currencies and other monetary instruments.

all of this would be effective as of january 1st, 2023 (or for tax returns, tax year 2023)

the cryptocurrency idiots are having a hissy-fit claiming that this applies to a ton of people who have zero ability to provide this information, like miners and wallet software makers. some knowledgeable people say that this is basically nonsense and that anyway the treasury department wouldn't interpret it that way. regardless, there isn't any real harm in clarifying the law, so there's been a push to amend it before it gets voted on. there was a lot of disagreement about what exactly to do, and there were two competing amendments for awhile, but in the end it came down to one compromise amendment that clarified that it doesn't apply to mere "validators". that amendment was voted on today, but because (i think) the bill was already on the senate floor, amendments require unanimous consent, and a republican senator from alabama objected because he's an idiot who wants the overall bill to spend more on the military. so now the bill doesn't have that amendment, so they'll either have to fix it in reconciliation or fix it with a separate bill or just let it happen with all of its supposed chilling effects

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 10, 2021

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
first they laugh at you, then they hold you just as accountable as other members of the market you're trying to disrupt, then you win

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

rjmccall posted:

because (i think) the bill was already on the senate floor, amendments require unanimous consent, and a republican senator from alabama objected because he's an idiot

oh, please, if all it took was one idiot to stall the process the senate would never get anything done!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
elong is bringing a bitcoin billboard to space with him

https://interestingengineering.com/spacex-and-a-canadian-startup-will-turn-space-into-a-billboard posted:

A Canadian startup called Geometric Energy Corporation (GEC) has tied up with Elon Musk's SpaceX, taking advertising to space on a small satellite aboard the Falcon 9 rocket, Business Insider reported. However, the collaboration won't feature a classic advertising billboard that we are used to see around, the ads will run on a pixelated display screen on a satellite called a CubeSat.
[...]
CubeSat will be put in orbit by SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket that will travel to the Moon in the first quarter of 2022. To put up an advert on its screen, those who are interested need to buy tokens that can be used to design a pixel. The company revealed to Business Insider that it will offer five tokens for purchase; Beta for the X coordinate, Rhoe for the Y coordinate, Gamma for the brightness, Kappa for the color, and XI for time. Using the tokens, users will be able to decide what their advertising pixel will look like, where it will be located on the screen and how long the advertisement will last. Since pixels are too small to be seen from Earth or from space, a selfie stick on the CubeSat will capture the image and live-stream it on YouTube or Twitch.

it will have a separate cryptocurrency for bidding on each individual pixel of the display
also it is too small to possibly see from earth so it comes with a built in video camera to broadcast its own ad billboard on youtube instead

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

elong is bringing a bitcoin billboard to space with him

it will have a separate cryptocurrency for bidding on each individual pixel of the display
also it is too small to possibly see from earth so it comes with a built in video camera to broadcast its own ad billboard on youtube instead

i want to suplex elon's nutsack.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oh a cubesat, it's even smaller than i thought lmao

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also love that it takes a different coin for each possible variable involved for some bizarre loving reason, but all of them are completely useless without all the other ones

though admittedly it opens a lot of options for comedy gold, like someone just buying a bunch of x coordinate coins and not selling them so the screen just perpetually looks like it has dead pixel lines, or someone cybersquatting on the entire blue side of the color spectrum so nobody can use anything even approaching blue

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
what does the time value mean? do you have to go through all this stuff with half a dozen different coins to specify where and what colour your pixel is then have to pay to keep it up continuously?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Boxturret posted:

what does the time value mean? do you have to go through all this stuff with half a dozen different coins to specify where and what colour your pixel is then have to pay to keep it up continuously?

i'd imagine so, yes. otherwise why even make it a screen if it's not gonna change

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
im vapin so its time for some pointless research :420:

the news seems to suggest that this floating disgrace to the stars is being produced / paid for by "Geometric Energy Corporation"

their website has a lot of empty words. their site header lists several 'branches', including "geometric labs", "geometric gaming" :lol:, and "geometric medical" :laffo:. the only one of these links that works is "geometric space".

"geometric energy corporation -space" gets no useful results about this company at all, other than various registries and stories that leave out the word space when describing this idiotic idea.

their twitter account is likewise a huge mess of retweets of various accounts, including a bunch of crap about tokens and other poo poo from at least early 2020 if not even earlier, with a couple of musks in there for flavor. there are very very few actual tweets from their account

their "geometric space" website looks like someone went all in on the amber sci fi thing. their website is also more than happy to barf verbose error logs if you poke numbers in the wrong spots.

there is, notably, no actual concrete documentation anywhere that i found that explained how this space junk worked other than some quotes from this thread about all the tokens. i was hoping to see if they had shown any sort of design or planning around it considering the unique problems space would bring with such a venture, but much like everything involving shitcoins there was nothing behind it

to be honest i would not put it past them to just hang up a tinfoil-covered rubik's cube with a raspberry pi taped to the back of it in front of a camera in someone's closet and call it done

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Zamujasa posted:

to be honest i would not put it past them to just hang up a tinfoil-covered rubik's cube with a raspberry pi taped to the back of it in front of a camera in someone's closet and call it done

original idea, do not steal

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shame Boy posted:

otherwise why even make it

indeed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Zamujasa posted:

that is so much better than the stated plan in every way

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Boxturret posted:

https://twitter.com/wheatpond/status/1423954126573117442

don't you see, the jewish people agree with me in private, no you can't see them

out on the tweeter having a crypto-themed meltdown with a bunch of jewish friends. they're all just out of frame, melting down too.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

rjmccall posted:

• it amends the definition of "broker" to include "any person who (for consideration) is responsible for regularly providing any service effectuating transfers of digital assets on behalf of another person", which basically means that crypto exchanges would now be brokers;
does this mean lightning network people-nodes are now brokers too given this line describes exactly what they are doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Khorne posted:

does this mean lightning network people-nodes are now brokers too given this line describes exactly what they are doing

Yes