Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I use AdGuard's DNS. It does go down very rarely and there's an RSS feed you can sub to so that you know if it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Looking for a timer/countdown app that has voice prompts at select times
5 minutes start, half way there, 10 seconds remaining etc

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

Looking for a timer/countdown app that has voice prompts at select times
5 minutes start, half way there, 10 seconds remaining etc

Give Seconds a look. It's fitness focused, but you should be able to rename things to whatever.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Looking for an app that can bind a hardware button press to a tap on the screen in a specific location. For example, pressing L on a gamepad would functionally be the exact same as tapping some space in the lower lefthand side of the screen.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. I've had it with Google changing Chrome's tabs/groups/open-in-new-tab UI and it's time to finally switch to something else. Is Firefox still the go-to, or should I give Opera a chance?

Kinda hoping I can import logins and payment information into whatever new browser I install :ohdear:

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
What's the recommendation for local air quality estimates? Asking for a Californian going into fire season.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Trabant posted:

Hello thread. I've had it with Google changing Chrome's tabs/groups/open-in-new-tab UI and it's time to finally switch to something else. Is Firefox still the go-to, or should I give Opera a chance?

Kinda hoping I can import logins and payment information into whatever new browser I install :ohdear:

I use a mix of Firefox and Firefox Focus. Focus is my default for opening links to clamp down on tracking and dumb history stuff and I open it in FF proper if I want to use cookies or bookmarks or push it to my desktop or whatever.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
We're looking to replace our lovely Spectrum cable account with streaming services. Is there an app that will alert me when a new episode of a show airs?

I tried Watchworthy and that was not the answer, unless I missed the part where I got an alert/notification. I figured that if such an animal exists, goons would know, or at least help out with a suggestion.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I use SeriesGuide
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.battlelancer.seriesguide

Looks like notifications are a subscription service. I just use the free tier and check periodically.

The app works okay, but it looks at, I think, TVDB, so sometimes I get alerts for things hadn't aired (if there's a skip week) or miss episodes until they are updated in the database. But works fine for most mainstream shows.

It's not cross platform and I don't know how well the backups work for moving to a new device. I recall having some issues last time I switched, but that was years ago.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just sync SeriesGuide to trakt.tv which is free functionality and there are tons of trakt.tv apps on other platforms. It keeps everything in sync too across devices so you don't really have to worry about backups.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I had problems with that in the past. May need to try again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've been using it across like 10 Android devices at once without any issue for awhile.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I was literally about to ask for something like that. I just finished setting up all my consoles on Rawg.io so I could combine all my game libraries into one (mostly to stop me buying duplicates of game I already own like an idiot) and was wondering if there was something like that for subscription services. SeriesGuide with trakt.tv might be my best bet for combining watchlists. It looks like tract.tv scrapes the netflix and Plex watchlists, but does it do it for Amazon Prime too? If not, I'm sure I can add everything manually, but if I can avoid some work I want to.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Echophonic posted:

I use a mix of Firefox and Firefox Focus. Focus is my default for opening links to clamp down on tracking and dumb history stuff and I open it in FF proper if I want to use cookies or bookmarks or push it to my desktop or whatever.

I'm in that minority (?) that doesn't mind desktop Chrome but is hating the mobile version more and more. But if I want sync across devices, I have to either also switch to desktop FF or deal with Chrome on mobile.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've got an old Nexus 7 that's too slow and janky to do much so I figured why not set it up as a picture frame and sit it on my desk at work. Anyone know a good app for that? The first result I got on Google suggested Fotoo but it's $25 for a version that doesn't pause to a 5 minute timer every now and then and I'm not paying that.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So GVoice said it was disabling text forwarding but it still works. Typical Google lol

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Looking for Android Auto advice. I used it in my mom’s car to drive to the mall like 3 weeks ago and it worked fine. I got back in to drive home and my phone isn’t connecting at all. Her car was in the shop and I used Auto in the rental no problem. She has her car back and Auto isn’t connecting again.

Her phone works fine with her car.

I don’t have another car to troubleshoot with, but like I said, my phone worked fine in the rental.

Tried erasing the cache and app data. I can’t delete the app as it was preinstalled, but I did disable and enable it. I don’t know how to roll back updates. I deleted all the vehicles in the Auto app.

Auto launches just fine as a standalone app.

I vaguely remember seeing a pop up notification about car mode, but I was driving at the time and didn’t read it too closely.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Auto is garbage and will never work reliably no matter what you do.

Hope that helps!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Auto is garbage and will never work reliably no matter what you do.

Hope that helps!

Yeah, that's why I wasn't bothered by my car not having it (though I may retrofit it in the future as BMW wants $100/year for map updates :argh:). Was just hoping someone had a magical tip to try. It seems like my phone doesn't even realize that it's plugged in (though it charges).

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
What kind of car is it? The new BMWs have wireless android auto, so it might require some stupid extra setup to work as expected.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

No, it's my mom's 2018 Honda CR-V. Just plug in the cord and go. Like I said, her phone worked fine first try.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Uthor posted:

No, it's my mom's 2018 Honda CR-V. Just plug in the cord and go. Like I said, her phone worked fine first try.

I know this is anecdotal but we have a 2015 CR-V and certain phones just won't work. I've had several motos work totally fine and then others connect fine once and then never again. Nothing ever fixed it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Obviously trying another cable is step one, but my experience with AAWireless and its launch problems with Mazdas is that the specific issue of a device working once and only once with a specific head unit is caused by a timing issue on the car side of things. Obviously without an intermediary such as AAWireless there's absolutely nothing you can do about that.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
My AA works pretty well but ever since they took away Google Music I can't find a decent MP3 player to interact with my car for poo poo. I use Amazon Music free version but I can't use voice commands and half the time the songs won't play unless I unlock my phone, take it off of Automobile mode and gently caress around until I can get to my offline library and go from there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I was looking into android car stuff lately and why the hell is it all so expensive for decentish ones, aren't these boxes basically just remote screens for your phone?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Aftermarket car head units are high margin low volume electronics.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I've been using weather timeline for ages but between it feeling pretty bad at actually predicting weather recently and a friend mentioning offhand that they think they remember it getting bought out to siphon data away I'd like a replacement

I don't use a lot of the features too often, just the persistent temperature notification and the widget, but I have liked the radar in the past

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

flatluigi posted:

I've been using weather timeline for ages but between it feeling pretty bad at actually predicting weather recently and a friend mentioning offhand that they think they remember it getting bought out to siphon data away I'd like a replacement

I don't use a lot of the features too often, just the persistent temperature notification and the widget, but I have liked the radar in the past

I've been using Shadow Weather for a year or so now and it seems fine. It has widgets, but I almost never look at my home screen so I can't make any comment about them. The persistent notification is good though, and pretty customizable.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

flatluigi posted:

I switched to Appy Weather and the widgets are really customizable. Seems pretty accurate (until Dark Sky's API goes away, anyway) and does do radar.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Echophonic posted:

I switched to Appy Weather and the widgets are really customizable. Seems pretty accurate (until Dark Sky's API goes away, anyway) and does do radar.

Does it do local alerts as well?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I have Appy too, and when you have DarkSky as your weather source, I felt it worked pretty much the same as the old DarkSky app. I also used some rewards bucks to try out their $10/year tier with foreca as my weather source. Seems almost as accurate as DarkSky, but doesn't constantly give me rain alerts on rainy days. I haven't had enough pop up showers to really test the accuracy there yet.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Deeters posted:

I have Appy too, and when you have DarkSky as your weather source, I felt it worked pretty much the same as the old DarkSky app. I also used some rewards bucks to try out their $10/year tier with foreca as my weather source. Seems almost as accurate as DarkSky, but doesn't constantly give me rain alerts on rainy days. I haven't had enough pop up showers to really test the accuracy there yet.

I more meant like severe alerts. Used to love Wunderground but their changes got me to stop using it. Using the weather channel app now, but hate all the ads and tracking.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Deeters posted:

Zil posted:

I more meant like severe alerts. Used to love Wunderground but their changes got me to stop using it. Using the weather channel app now, but hate all the ads and tracking.

For local showers and severe weather alerts, I use Rain Alarm Pro. I can't see the price having already bought it with survey bucks but I remember it being pricey, however it's got a great privacy policy and a responsive developer which is why I picked it over some other similar, popular radar app that was recommended at the time I bought it. Default config has been as reliable as Dark Sky was for incoming local showers and the radar is nice to have.

Not really a weather app though, and I just use Google Weather for that since that site which compares APIs in your local area said that Google's provider was the most accurate for me.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Zil posted:

Then yeah, I get those on both weather sources. Dark Sky seems to come up a little faster. Not sure if that was something on my end though.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Zil posted:

I've moved to LineageOS and try to use FOSS apps as much as possible nowadays (:rms2:) and for weather checking, Geometric Weather (Google store link) beats all the commercial / ad-ridden apps I had before. AccuWeather data so it's pretty good on that front as well.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Does anyone know of an app where you point your camera and it overlays what is there based on a map. So if you're out hiking and point your camera in a direction it'd tell you the towns/landmarks in the picture? Tried searching but failed miserably.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Sad Panda posted:

Does anyone know of an app where you point your camera and it overlays what is there based on a map. So if you're out hiking and point your camera in a direction it'd tell you the towns/landmarks in the picture? Tried searching but failed miserably.

This one will tell you mountains and significant named hills in that way: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.peakfinder.area.alps

It works alright. Mostly a novelty on my hikes, funded by Google Survey bucks.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
woah, after years of loving around with different basic image editing apps that never worked very well, i finally found one that's relatively full-featured with a somewhat decent interface...despite being marketed towards children ages 6 and up: Pocket Paint

is this well known outside of elementary schools? lol. it actually has multi layer editing, full transparency support, and by-pixel image resizing/compression that just works. it's also ad-free. only thing i wish it had (or maybe i just haven't figured out) is a selection tool.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

NihilCredo posted:

I've moved to LineageOS and try to use FOSS apps as much as possible nowadays (:rms2:) and for weather checking, Geometric Weather (Google store link) beats all the commercial / ad-ridden apps I had before. AccuWeather data so it's pretty good on that front as well.

I just tried this app. It's there a way to get it to function with a manually input location. The GPS is broken on my old tablet.
e: I found it. You have to click the help button that appears for 1 second with error message every few minutes. And I found an input field that is well camouflaged, and I could have sworn that wasn't there before.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Has SMS Backup+ stopped automatically running for anyone else? Do I have to exclude it from battery optimization or something? I don't recall having to do that before.