Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

taco time has a big problem: the food doesn't taste as good as taco bell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I mean if you want a direct parallel like a chili burger from one of the good Tommy's is much more apt

It occurs to me that this may not make any sense to people outside of LA, so substitute your local middling-sized chain of diarrhea burgers that only stays in business because they're open late

haven't been to LA in like a decade but having been to some local greasy burger joints at 1am I know exactly what you're getting at

PokeJoe posted:

taco bell is good

they changed the beef burrito here to be like 80% rice and have some really kinda lovely "creamy jalapeno" sauce in it and it doesn't taste like jalapeno at all. more like they dumped mayo into a bowl of rice that some ground beef was vaguely in the vicinity of it and then wrapped it all into a lovely tortilla

chili cheese burrito is still deece though

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Sniep posted:

remember several years ago when someone itf posted that taco bell gave them the runs and they got dogpiled by the Decorum crew for being bougie and lying about it to sound better than fast food and the derail went on for days
Okay but this is different because I can drink almost anything else, no matter how objectively foul—taaka, 4loko, hurricane, Mike's Hard Beetjuice—without having the same reaction and it kinda makes me sad because I am a big fan of spicy water and I was like "oh wow, all the implied flavor of la croix and it can get me drunk too? I'm in!"

Life is cruel.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i work at the boojiest part of sf and i can get a taco for about the price of tacotime

thats a problem with the price when the comparison is literally hand rolling their own masa from their own hipster corn cultivar and youre a cheap chain place

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

if you see these grab em - they are a 12 pack for like $9.50, normally $13

great for lunch or break snacks!

i once read a marketing study that showed the perceived fanciness of foods was directly influenced by how many adjectives were used to describe them, and ever since then i can't unsee it.

oh the cashews are sea-salted huh. not just salted. not just cashews. and cranberries are infused with cherry juice.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I had one friend who moved to LA and I lost touch with him years go, managing to visit just once and see his swanky DTLA loft in a neat art deco building.

He recently started posting in the instagrams again and it looks like he now lives in hollywood, got divorced and fuckin' looooves meth :(

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sniep posted:

remember several years ago when someone itf posted that taco bell gave them the runs and they got dogpiled by the Decorum crew for being bougie and lying about it to sound better than fast food and the derail went on for days

i wouldn't make it a bougie thing, but if taco bell gives you diarrhea you are sick and/or have a really poor diet.

i think the meme about it giving you the runs is because white americans don't eat dietary fiber. they go to taco bell and eat some beans and oatmeal (in the meat) and oh no what is happening to my guts i am not used to eating things that aren't deep-fried depleted uranium

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Okay but this is different because I can drink almost anything else, no matter how objectively foul—taaka, 4loko, hurricane, Mike's Hard Beetjuice—without having the same reaction and it kinda makes me sad because I am a big fan of spicy water and I was like "oh wow, all the implied flavor of la croix and it can get me drunk too? I'm in!"

Life is cruel.

every single other bev major has piled on making copycats of this thing tho, do any of the other 20 hard ostensibly-malt-but-really-sugar seltzers make you that way

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sagebrush posted:

i once read a marketing study that showed the perceived fanciness of foods was directly influenced by how many adjectives were used to describe them, and ever since then i can't unsee it.

oh the cashews are sea-salted huh. not just salted. not just cashews. and cranberries are infused with cherry juice.
counterspell:

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

See? The beer's got two names, including a french one, so you know it's fancy

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

every single other bev major has piled on making copycats of this thing tho, do any of the other 20 hard ostensibly-malt-but-really-sugar seltzers make you that way
Honestly too scared to. Once shittin', twice shy 😔

Fortaleza posted:

It's a Canadian import

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i cant believe canadians let the fake french bully them into putting french on everything

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Fortaleza posted:

puckins

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

"canada fancy"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Shaggar posted:

i cant believe canadians let the fake french bully them into putting french on everything
it's usually paris french too lol

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Shaggar posted:

I can't believe we couldn't talk them into taking Maine off our hands.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they also somehow make you guys use the wrong demonym for Canada everywhere i.e. "Canada goose" instead of the correct "Canadian goose".

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Shaggar posted:

they also somehow make you guys use the wrong demonym for Canada everywhere i.e. "Canada goose" instead of the correct "Canadian goose".
i think that's only for the Canada goose. but yeah it's weird

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
canada bacon

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

it's the name of the animal, not a description of it.

do you call it a bostonian cream donut? or a chicagoan style pizza? portlander cement?

don't be an idiot.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

I saw a budweiser branded vodka soda thing at the local hooch hut the other day and was curious in that "huh, they have footage of massive industrial disasters on youtube" kind of way but not curious enough to walk up to the counter with a sixer of budweiser branded vodka soda

Sagebrush posted:

don't be an idiot.

keep in mind who you're responding to

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
cjs:

Customer: "Can you update the configuration with this new date?"
Me: "I made a thing so you can do it on your own, without having to wait for me. Log in at (URL), run the thing, and it'll take care of the rest."
Customer, ignoring big button that says "Run": "Okay, I logged in. Now what. Is it automatic?"

loving engage with the page you're on and click on poo poo you god dang Boomer aaaaaaggg

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Update: "What date do I put in?"

Gee, maybe the one you sent me?? What else would you put in?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i have worked 22 hours of the last 48 mainly due to my own hubris but also something catching fire at work that only i knew how to fix

was thanked very much by the cto

i am now at the bar watching jeopardy

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i am going to get a modestly sized burger and then put fries on the bun

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Share Bear posted:

i am going to get a modestly sized burger and then put fries on the bun
As is proper and good

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kenny Logins posted:

counterspell:

how daft you have to be to buy a beer that claims to associate with the french lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I mean if you want a direct parallel like a chili burger from one of the good Tommy's is much more apt

It occurs to me that this may not make any sense to people outside of LA, so substitute your local middling-sized chain of diarrhea burgers that only stays in business because they're open late

lmao one time at tommys i wanted the burger with green chiles. i think it was called the ranchero or something. anyway, i was hungry and so i wanted a double burger, so i ordered a double ranchero. it turns out, though, that the ranchero was already a double burger. they helpfully doubled my double, and i ended up eating a quadruple patty chili cheeseburger that also had green chiles.

a coward would have just eaten half of the dang thing, but i am no coward. no regrets.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

how daft you have to be to buy a beer that claims to associate with the french lol

it’s called draft dinner

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

canada requires most everything to be written in english / french, so zero daft. knowing no name, it's probably fine though i've never had it myself

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh gently caress i forgot this existed. exactly once, at a labor activist party, i did a bunch of shots and it did not go well

never again

ive still never had 4loko and this fact makes me sad

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

oh gently caress i forgot this existed. exactly once, at a labor activist party, i did a bunch of shots and it did not go well

never again

ive still never had 4loko and this fact makes me sad

4loko is a hangover in a can

edit: was

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

a chili burger from one of the good Tommy's

this is the most LA thing ive ever heard you say

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

whats the decor of tommys

is it kitch, does it obliquely celebrate the founders art habit and or fetishes

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/seraph76/status/1424134788772990978

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

its a window you walk up to and a bunch of tables outside. at least the one ive been to was that way

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my yardstick for LA people is whether they had strong opinions about which tommys was best. Bonus points awarded for opinions on which original tommys is actually the ORIGINAL original tommys

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

This is the real tommy.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This is the real tommy.

yeah but not the original tommy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP