Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Everett False posted:

Oof, that's rough. If you have a post on fedi about the issue and you're willing to share a link (PMs are fine) I can try to boost it over there and see if anyone I know has any ideas.

I mean at the moment I have a solution, it's a day away from completion if my question gets answered.

The instance owner is burnt out and there are like 5 people on the instance, and I think she'd have to deeply trust the people who took it over

Even then, that doesn't solve my problem that I do not have a backup, and the current backup systems are either not available to me (as someone who isn't the instance owner) or causes the database to fall off a cliff because it hammers it with a fuckload of requests all at once. There's already room for a better backup tool regardless, and like I said, the majority of the code is written and functional, I just need advice with one specific part which is something that I do not have much knowledge on. I want to get back to writing a bootsector lisp :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Extra row of tits posted:

Does anyone have any handy tips for using contact lenses?

I can get them out ok, a bit more practice and it should present no problems, but getting them in is a nightmare. I cant help flinching away and even the handling of them before I put them in is a nightmare.

Also, is it possible to get "practice" lenses? A lot of places here seem to sell novelty colored ones but I want to make sure I'm not sticking in something I should not.

I am not a contacts wearer, but I will only add this: I don't know where "Here" is, but unless it is an optometrists' office, absolutely do not stick non-prescription lenses onto your eyes. That is a recipe and several ingredients for a disaster.

What do you mean by Practice Lenses? Do you mean something that you can repeatedly put in and take out to get used to the sensation? I really think this is something best handled by the Dr that prescribed them to you. They probably have dealt with people needing to get over the anxiety of inserting contacts before. And it sounds like contacts are a fairly new thing for you, so hopefully it's something you can discuss with them as you are still getting used to them.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I can get them out ok, a bit more practice and it should present no problems, but getting them in is a nightmare. I cant help flinching away and even the handling of them before I put them in is a nightmare.

Also, is it possible to get "practice" lenses? A lot of places here seem to sell novelty colored ones but I want to make sure I'm not sticking in something I should not.

It's really just experience - your body has a lot of energy put into the "don't poke things in your eyes" reflex and you need to overcome all of that to get the thing onto your eye.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Good advice,

Thank you both.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Few tips:

1. Use your left hand to put in your left contact, right hand for right

2. It's kind of a multi step process. Get contact from case with the hand in tip 1, transfer to index finger of other hand temporarily, completely dry off the index finger of the inserting hand with a lint free towel, transfer the contact back to that finger

3. Contact is now centered on the correct, dry, index finger. With the middle finger of your other hand, pull the top eyelid up. With the middle finger of your inserting hand, pull your bottom eyelid down

4. Stare into the distance and blur your vision as you bring the contact to your eye. Try and put it directly on your pupil. You don't need to mash it down -- if the index finger is dry, the contact should suck onto your eye easily.

5. Don't let go of your eyelids right away. Let the contact settle onto your eye, give it a second, then move your eye just a little.

6. Slowly release your eyelids.

Sounds complicated but practice it and you'll be able to get them in almost always on the first time. I can put my contacts in in about 5-10 seconds per eye.

Oh, and wash your hands thoroughly and dry them before starting. Any dirt or oil on your fingers will result in burning.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 9, 2021

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
lol I don't wear contacts but that's almost exactly what it's like to put in a vaginal contraceptive film

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

artsy fartsy posted:

lol I don't wear contacts but that's almost exactly what it's like to put in a vaginal contraceptive film

At least (most) vaginas don't reflexively close as soon as something gets near them.

Honestly I could draw a lot of parallels between the learning curve for contact lenses and menstrual cups, except that for me with contact lenses the benefits didn't outweigh the annoyance of learning to do it conveniently and for the cup they 1000% did.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Why do you always see jokes about things in Australia being "upside down", toilets flushing the other direction, etc, but not about other countries in the southern hemisphere? Like I've never seen someone make a light-hearted jab to that effect about, say, Argentina or South Africa or any other country south of the equator.

My wildly speculative guess is it's bc it's a whole continent that's "upside down".

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I think it's more because Australia is a western colonised first world country in the southern hemisphere, so the joke lands better because it's "just like" the US/Canada/UK etc but upside down. It also probably feels like the weird version of those countries because of the animals & plants and stuff too moreso than less isolated countries.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
I'd suspect that it's a combination of Australia being an entire continent that is very far south rather than stretching across the equator like South America or Africa, and large enough that you can see it immediately on a map or globe without having to look for it like the Philippines or whatever.

The fact that it's a commonwealth country mostly full of white people also makes it harder for other jokes or stereotypes to stick, and easier for dumb weird jokes about how this country is so similar to "us" but the toilets spin the other way (not actually because of it's position on the globe but it still sticks), or other things caused by it's position in the world being so different from all the other wealthy white nations like getting winter in our summer and vice versa. I think it's just something that got into the popular consciousness and stuck around as a cartoon joke.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

China could be joking about the upside down Argentinians and I'd never ever hear about it.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

What is the name of the famous experiment which showed that adding financial incentive actually decreased cognitive productivity?

I think it involves teams constructing towers out of raw spaghetti noodles and marshmallows or something?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What is the name of the famous experiment which showed that adding financial incentive actually decreased cognitive productivity?

I think it involves teams constructing towers out of raw spaghetti noodles and marshmallows or something?

I think it's around 4:30 in this video that he mentions it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0_yKBitO8M

Not super sure if that's a famous experiment but there you go

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Is there a way to play Flash in Chrome now?

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Is there some kind of class I can take, or certification I can study for, that will make dealing with SSL certificates stop being a hideous nightmare? Is there any amount of expertise that will stop about 1% of all users from emailing me because on one specific browser on one specific network they get served a cert I've never seen before in my life?

:negative:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Everett False posted:

Is there some kind of class I can take, or certification I can study for, that will make dealing with SSL certificates stop being a hideous nightmare? Is there any amount of expertise that will stop about 1% of all users from emailing me because on one specific browser on one specific network they get served a cert I've never seen before in my life?

Go into carpentry and never look back.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Everett False posted:

Nope, doesn't seem to be, SSL certs are always hell. It's on the same level as printers, but at least you don't have to get ink or toner on your hands.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
TLS certificates are a racket ran by the CAs.

In short no. The change apple made somewhat recently to distrust any cert with an validity period of more than 1 year is total bullshit.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

With any luck, given a few years, letsencrypt will completely kill all the CAs and everything will be SSL and just work out of the box.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Can anyone tell me what word I am thinking of?

"*** of management duties", the word being "I did them while he was away".

I just cant seem to remember it. (It's not assumption is it?)

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
assumption seems as good as anything else to me

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Acting Manager of Whatever.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/acting

adjutant
alternate
assistant
delegated
deputy
interim
surrogate
temporary
ad interim
pro tem
pro tempore
provisional

substitute

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Delegation?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
"While Bob was away, I assumed his management duties" seems pretty standard and normal sounding. Maybe a little formal or stuffy. You could also say "performed," or "I filled in for him," depending on context and what tone you're trying to have.
If it was for a longer time and this is on a resume then "Acting Manager" is better, more succinct.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Went with Assumed, it sounded better in bullet points.

Thank you everyone!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Is there a software, or maybe a batch script, that would allow me to point it at an image file, and then it copies the file 3 times, each with a unique suffix to the file name, without changing the extension? (Not a number, but just 3 copies of the file with something I input ammended to it.)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Boba Pearl posted:

Is there a software, or maybe a batch script, that would allow me to point it at an image file, and then it copies the file 3 times, each with a unique suffix to the file name, without changing the extension? (Not a number, but just 3 copies of the file with something I input ammended to it.)

Is it the same set of suffixes each time? Like, abc.jpg becomes abc123.jpg, abcabc.jpg, and abcxyz.jpg? Or is the suffix unique each time?

Either are doable in PowerShell, the first is easier. You may be able to do the first in batch, I'd have to look when I'm at a PC.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Thanatosian posted:

Is it the same set of suffixes each time? Like, abc.jpg becomes abc123.jpg, abcabc.jpg, and abcxyz.jpg? Or is the suffix unique each time?

Either are doable in PowerShell, the first is easier. You may be able to do the first in batch, I'd have to look when I'm at a PC.

My exact use case is to turn 210811.png into 3 files

210811WC.png
210811SA.png
210811SV.png

And I can just drag and drop it, or just copy / paste the file location so that tomorrow I can do the same thing easily with 210812.png

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Will there always be the one and only file in there when the script is executed? Will it always be a png? And will you execute the script manually or do you want this to be executed automatically at 1:37 pm every day?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It'll always be the one and only file, and I can make sure it's the only one in the directory if that's what it needs to work, it will always be a .png, and I'd like to execute it manually.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

xcopy %1 %~d1%~p1%~n1WC%~x1
xcopy %1 %~d1%~p1%~n1SA%~x1
xcopy %1 %~d1%~p1%~n1SV%~x1

Put it in a text file, save with the extension .cmd, drop files on it or on a shortcut to it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Boba Pearl posted:

My exact use case is to turn 210811.png into 3 files

210811WC.png
210811SA.png
210811SV.png

And I can just drag and drop it, or just copy / paste the file location so that tomorrow I can do the same thing easily with 210812.png
It's the creation of these files something you do manually every day, and you have to do manual things with the copies as well? Or is this something you get sent, and then you just put these copies in various places?

If it's the latter, you could create a scheduled task to handle it automatically so you never need to do anything with it again.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Flipperwaldt posted:

xcopy %1 %~d1%~p1%~n1WC%~x1
xcopy %1 %~d1%~p1%~n1SA%~x1
xcopy %1 %~d1%~p1%~n1SV%~x1

Put it in a text file, save with the extension .cmd, drop files on it or on a shortcut to it.

This is exactly what I needed thanks!

Thanatosian posted:

It's the creation of these files something you do manually every day, and you have to do manual things with the copies as well? Or is this something you get sent, and then you just put these copies in various places?

If it's the latter, you could create a scheduled task to handle it automatically so you never need to do anything with it again.

I do a webcomic, and when I finish it, I give it different titles for what site it's going too to help monitor metrics. So I can see how many times each file has been accessed and from where.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Another question, my wife and I like to wear headphones while we are on our computers, and listen to music. We sit in the same room, but it's difficult to hear each other. To fix this, we've taken too sitting in a discord call. We wanted to watch an anime together on the TV while maintaining this set up. My idea is to set up a sound mixer with USB inputs, and run the USBs to both our machines. Is their an easier way to do what I want, so that we can maintain our headphones / discord call method? Neither of us are neurotypical, so like a huge shake up will introduce a whole slew of issues, and it'd be easier to just buy something that fixes the problem so we can continue what we're doing.

She nor I want to buy in ear headphones, or not wear one ear cuff, though if they are high quality, I would definitely consider those headphones that sit above your ear and send the noise into your skull.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Is Tom Kenny the voice actor for the Arby's vending machine in Idiocracy?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Boba Pearl posted:

She nor I want to buy in ear headphones, or not wear one ear cuff, though if they are high quality, I would definitely consider those headphones that sit above your ear and send the noise into your skull.

I know you said "no shakeups," but have you considered open back headphones? Especially if you're spending very long periods wearing headphones, good open backs can help a lot with comfort and fatigue.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Boba Pearl posted:

Another question, my wife and I like to wear headphones while we are on our computers, and listen to music. We sit in the same room, but it's difficult to hear each other. To fix this, we've taken too sitting in a discord call. We wanted to watch an anime together on the TV while maintaining this set up. My idea is to set up a sound mixer with USB inputs, and run the USBs to both our machines. Is their an easier way to do what I want, so that we can maintain our headphones / discord call method? Neither of us are neurotypical, so like a huge shake up will introduce a whole slew of issues, and it'd be easier to just buy something that fixes the problem so we can continue what we're doing.

Could you bypass the TV entirely and use something like Hyperbeam to watch on your own screens?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
You know what, if I pirate the shows and put them on a plex server, we can "Watch together" and sync with the TV, and get audio through our headphones, that's an amazing idea, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They repaved a nearby road, and they haven’t put the traffic markings like stop bars on yet. Wherever they need to put them on, they roughly spray painted a line, but there is also another line scored in the pavement in the same place. Does anyone know what the process is there?