Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Internet Savant posted:

Does it count as a putt if you you shoot from the fairway in front of the green with your putter? Asking for a friend 😀

Yes and no. Official stats for putting include all shots from the putting surface and no others.

But, shots from the primary fringe with a putter should count for your own stats. They're a more accurate reflection of both your approach game and your putting.

From the fairway? That's a chip. I'm a big fan of those myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I had a pretty decent round this past weekend

Had I not had those 2 bad holes at the beginning of the round it would've been even better and you know, made a few less 2 putts :(

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

mattfl posted:

Had I not had those 2 bad holes at the beginning of the round it would've been even better and you know, made a few less 2 putts :(

'Sup, fellow Florida goon? I work for a company that has (had?) a branch in Haines City, along with Sarasota, 2 in Stuart, Fort Myers, and Leesburg.

What app are y'all using for these fancy rear end scorecards?

EDIT: I ask because that kind of stat tracking is my bread and butter.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

D34THROW posted:

'Sup, fellow Florida goon? I work for a company that has (had?) a branch in Haines City, along with Sarasota, 2 in Stuart, Fort Myers, and Leesburg.

What app are y'all using for these fancy rear end scorecards?

EDIT: I ask because that kind of stat tracking is my bread and butter.

This particular app is called Golfshot, I've used it for like, 10+ years now.

Southern Dunes is an amazing course and if you ever get a chance to play it I highly recommend it. We paid $45 for a saturday morning tee time and the course is in pristine shape. If it was anywhere but bumfuck Haines City it'd be a $75-100 course easily.

I'm playing Grand Cypress New this weekend, can't loving wait as it's one of my favorite courses in the Orlando area.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

I don't know Mark but I'm infinitely familiar with his kind of scorecard.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

I don't know Mark but I'm infinitely familiar with his kind of scorecard.

That's my 67 year old Dad who really should move up a tee box or two but isn't quite ready to yet lol. He can still put it out there 240-250 though, can't quite make most par 5s in two but as you can see, can still get around the course.

He's also somewhat blind in one of his eyes I think as he can't quite track the ball coming off the club really good anymore, he also refuses to get his eyes checked. He had a detached retina 5+ years ago and had Lasik but I think it's starting to wear off.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I bought a house on the golf course that hosts the Wyndham Championship, which is this week. I don't play golf, at all. AMA about living alongside a spectacle.

Bonus pic, when 1/3 of your view of the third green is blocked by a *rolex* ad.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
aka "The Greater Greensboro Open"

just rename the cities to their corporate overlords already, it's so confusing

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

aka "The Greater Greensboro Open"

just rename the cities to their corporate overlords already, it's so confusing

I'm old enough to remember GGO, the Crosby, The International (aka the stableford tournament), The Western Open, the New England Classic (Dad took me there in 93 and Azinger gave me the ball he took the lead with on Saturday.) No loving clue what any of those are named now, other than the NE no longer existing.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Critical posted:

I'm old enough to remember GGO, the Crosby, The International (aka the stableford tournament), The Western Open, the New England Classic (Dad took me there in 93 and Azinger gave me the ball he took the lead with on Saturday.) No loving clue what any of those are named now, other than the NE no longer existing.

I was at "AT&T" Beach just last Thursday with my Ma's dog. She got in trouble once for trying to run up towards the 10th green and some dumb old fart yelled at her.

Dog Tax

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 11, 2021

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Quick question for everyone coming from a newish player, how important is it to you knowing the distance you hit each club with a normal swing? When practicing I use this as a baseline for how well I’m making contact etc, and work on a consistent distance per club from there. Am I setting traps for myself like this? No one else I play with does it and they downplay it a lot but it feels like the right approach and I think it’s helping my game overall but don’t know if it’s confirmation bias or something.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Nobody you play with knows their distances? How do they choose clubs?

I think the trap is using your distance that you *can* hit a club vs what you *usually* hit.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

SquirrelGrip posted:

Quick question for everyone coming from a newish player, how important is it to you knowing the distance you hit each club with a normal swing?

This is like 95% of what being successful at playing golf entails.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea you need to know how far you hit every club. But like they mentioned before, go with what you commonly hit with each club. Just because you hit your 7 iron 150 once doesn’t mean you should swing that if you normally hit it 130. A good rule of thumb for beginners is to club up one more club for whatever shot you’re going to hit. Until you are comfortable knowing what you consistently hit with each club.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

BCRock posted:

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
For beginners, I would say club up one more only if you need to carry over a hazard. Otherwise, leaving it short is usually better than sailing it long.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

AndrewP posted:

Nobody you play with knows their distances? How do they choose clubs?

I think the trap is using your distance that you *can* hit a club vs what you *usually* hit.

Not really, it’s either 5 iron if it’s “long”, SW for short and anything in between is a random choice based on I don’t know what.

And yeah, I should caveat it with I base mine on what I usually hit, not trying to smoke it as far as possible eg. If it’s 110-120m I need I’m hitting a PW, 120-130 I’m hitting 9 and am pretty consistent through to 5/4/3 where the gapping grows. Only time I’ll change is for elevation or wind on the course, but if I’m at a range or sim they are my guides for practising consistently.

BCRock posted:

Yeah that’s where I landed as well but I’ve been given a lot of unsolicited advice in the few social tournaments I’ve played from people who can’t give me their average distance just “you should be hitting this”. I’ll just keep ignoring them for the most part.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea I mean tiger can hit a pitching wedge 180 yards, and your average player will hit it 100-110. It’s absolutely tailored to the specific person, and knowing your club’s distance is super important.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Plank Walker posted:

For beginners, I would say club up one more only if you need to carry over a hazard. Otherwise, leaving it short is usually better than sailing it long.

I disagree with this. I think most players make the mistake of “I hit my 7 iron 150 yards” - I’m 150 out so I should hit my 7. When in reality hitting 7 to 150 is if they pure it. Club up because, especially beginners, aren’t able to hit it flush every time due to inconsistent swing, club face control, or just their lie.

Very generally I’d say start out getting your yardages for each club, club up on approach shots, and don’t aim for the flag. Aim for the center of the green every time on approach shots that way your dispersion right/left will (hopefully) still be in the general vicinity of the green.

Obviously take into account water or hazards etc.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

SquirrelGrip posted:

Quick question for everyone coming from a newish player, how important is it to you knowing the distance you hit each club with a normal swing? When practicing I use this as a baseline for how well I’m making contact etc, and work on a consistent distance per club from there. Am I setting traps for myself like this? No one else I play with does it and they downplay it a lot but it feels like the right approach and I think it’s helping my game overall but don’t know if it’s confirmation bias or something.

I think just as important as knowing how far you hit your clubs, is how far they roll out in real world circumstances. My friends who are millionaires with their lasers and gps will hit 150 when the laser says150. I've been clubbing down after hitting a reading and getting better results. Driving ranges around here are fake grass and tell you nothing.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

The important take away to this discussion is definitely get your yardages figured out. The second most important take away is we all gave you a different answer on how to select a club because golf is hard lol. Get a lesson!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I just have a rough estimate of my distances and will often club down on my second shot because I reeeally hate flying the green.

I need to go to some place with a Trackman I guess because right now I'm just trying to estimate my distances at my lovely driving range

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

I almost always look at the distance to the back of the green and play that yardage. That way I have some breathing room because I’m not flushing every iron shot. I absolutely miss long sometimes but in general I think it works out better. This is for approach shots, if I’m inside 100 yards or so I’m not playing to the back of the green every time.

I don’t see the point of aiming at the pin when I know I can’t consistently stick one close enough to one putt. At least that’s how I think about it.

This discussion kind of makes me want too get Arccos or something to track shots more accurately and go down a stats rabbit hole with my game. I could also see that turning me into a complete head case though lol.

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 11, 2021

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Arccos is wonderful and has significantly improved my game. I highly recommend it. Granted, I play Cobra One length clubs and Cobra top of bag so all of my sensors are imbedded into the group, but having historical yardage on stuff is so key.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

dangling pointer posted:

The important take away to this discussion is definitely get your yardages figured out. The second most important take away is we all gave you a different answer on how to select a club because golf is hard lol. Get a lesson!

Step ahead, I’ve been for a few and the last one I had started me on my mission to dial distances in

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I'm sorry I'm still amazed/bemused that no one you play with takes yardage into account when picking their clubs?? Are they picking based on animal entrails? The position of the stars? Other mysterious and occult portents??

It's one thing to be a new player, as you are, and figuring out how golf works, and still figuring out how far you hit each club. But unless everyone you're playing with is in the same position (which maybe they are, there's been a lot of growth in the game in the last year and a half), I'm just genuinely flummoxed, and feel the dawning revelation of maybe this is why it gets so frustratingly slow out on the course on a midday.

Kirios posted:

Arccos is wonderful and has significantly improved my game. I highly recommend it. Granted, I play Cobra One length clubs and Cobra top of bag so all of my sensors are imbedded into the group, but having historical yardage on stuff is so key.

Interesting. When I got my Pings, the club pro recommended against it, not being worth it for the cost, even though I liked the idea. I think I *could* do this with golfshot, at least for the yardages, if I tracked every shot with every club. But I couldn't get the swing motion/speed, which I can see being useful, especially for when I'm coming back to the course in spring and trying to remember how to play.

Petey fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Aug 11, 2021

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
I’ll ask the people I play with most of the time, I honestly have no idea what they are thinking and how they make their choices. It was only last night when we went to a range that has the tracking screens that they asked why I was sticking to certain distances and things derailed from there. They got me into golf as they started so yeah, all fairly new and going about getting better our own way.

But even still, we are generally waiting on the group infront of us when we play. Not slow, just not good.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Easiest/cheapest way to do this that’s still accurate (driving range brings in all sorts of error) is use a golf GPS app with a shot tracking feature. You don’t need to do it for every shot. Wait til you hit a shot you consider typical for your skill level - not a flyer, unusually flushed, shanked, etc. - that’s not downhill or affected by unusual winds. I prefer to go even further and wait til I’ve hit a green so I can find the landing mark and know exact carry but that may be overkill. Track a few of those and you’ll have a really good idea of your carry distances on a few clubs and you then you can calculate the gapping for the whole set.

This will give you carry distance so you’ll need to account for rollout depending on what you’re landing on, your swing characteristics, the conditions, etc etc. Golf is indeed hard but this gives you a starting point to know what you typically do then you adjust based on conditions of the day / the hole / the lie.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

SquirrelGrip posted:

I’ll ask the people I play with most of the time, I honestly have no idea what they are thinking and how they make their choices. It was only last night when we went to a range that has the tracking screens that they asked why I was sticking to certain distances and things derailed from there. They got me into golf as they started so yeah, all fairly new and going about getting better our own way.

But even still, we are generally waiting on the group infront of us when we play. Not slow, just not good.

It’s nice that they got you started on golf, but find yourself a professional golfer to get the training wheels off. If your friends don’t even know their approximate distances with each club…. It’d be like learning to surf from the guy who uses a body board on baby waves.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

How do y'all actually determine your distances? I've treated a 7 as my 150 club but i have no real idea. My dad isn't a huge range guy and i dont have the money or time to go get fitted or evaluated right now.

Side note: I've been listening to The Sweet Spot podcast and I didnt realize how far golf tech has come in the last decade. Or that 1° of face direction change can affect the ball by 13 yards laterally.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Use your head, that's the bottom line. If you know your distances, you're already on your way to good golf.

Approaches: back pin, use a club that if pured can get there. Front pin, use a club that if pured can reach the middle of the green. Middle pin, use the club you think goes that distance on a normal hit.

The only club that I truly have no idea the carry for hit to hit is my driver, but that's my inconsistency more than anything.

Great video. The hole repair is interesting as hell.
https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1425456972720185351?s=19

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 11, 2021

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Petey posted:

Interesting. When I got my Pings, the club pro recommended against it, not being worth it for the cost, even though I liked the idea. I think I *could* do this with golfshot, at least for the yardages, if I tracked every shot with every club. But I couldn't get the swing motion/speed, which I can see being useful, especially for when I'm coming back to the course in spring and trying to remember how to play.

Hmm, I wonder why he said that? Anyone I've played with that has Arccos has spoken very highly of it. It's not cheap but 99.99 isn't that bad when we are all already playing a very expensive hobby in golf. Plus it pairs beautifully with my smart watch and turns it into an outstanding GPS watch that gives me front middle and back of the green with a little icon telling me what club it recommends. Couple that with a range finder for those extreme slope distances and I've got all I need on the course.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Kirios posted:

Hmm, I wonder why he said that? Anyone I've played with that has Arccos has spoken very highly of it. It's not cheap but 99.99 isn't that bad when we are all already playing a very expensive hobby in golf. Plus it pairs beautifully with my smart watch and turns it into an outstanding GPS watch that gives me front middle and back of the green with a little icon telling me what club it recommends. Couple that with a range finder for those extreme slope distances and I've got all I need on the course.

it's interesting, if you look at the reviews on their website all of them are either 4/5 stars or 1 star. I wonder if they have QA issues.

I already pay $99 a year for golfshot and it looks like Arccos could do a lot of what it does but more accurately.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Petey posted:

it's interesting, if you look at the reviews on their website all of them are either 4/5 stars or 1 star. I wonder if they have QA issues.

I already pay $99 a year for golfshot and it looks like Arccos could do a lot of what it does but more accurately.

My only issue with arccos was it constantly missing shots. If you’re not checking your phone after every shot, you can go 3-4 holes without it picking up anything.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I personally don't have that experience but it does miss a putt from time to time so I do double check that. Everything else combined it's maybe missed...a dozen shots? Over 50-ish rounds at this point?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Petey posted:

What does the paid version of Golfshot do? I use the free version and it’s perfect in my mind.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Listening to the Sweet Spot again and Jon telling a story about hucking his 8-iron at the cart after blocking it 60 yards right into the water on an approach shot. Severed his driver head and somehow the thing ended up stuck in the fairway, hosel down. Lot of life lessons in that, at least for me. Slow down and take a loving breath, this entire episode was about the mental game and not letting a bad shot ruin the round. Adam told about playing in a tournament where he duck-hooked 3 tee shots out of bounds on the first hole, got an 11, and went on to play the remaining 17 at 5 under and place second.

In other news, I just realized how much my high school golf team coach sucked. I got more advice from the best kid on the team than I ever did from that guy. There was no direction - practice was only ever on the range or the putting green, I think we had course practice once? And he didn't do anything but sit on the clubhouse patio and watch us.

I do have to remember one good thing though: Our first practice it started pouring rain, I could barely see what I was doing but I could feel it, and it made my dad cry to see me on the range with sheets of rain pouring down on me working to improve.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

RCarr posted:

What does the paid version of Golfshot do? I use the free version and it’s perfect in my mind.

Main thing is distances to/from wherever you want, not just the green. Also some more advanced scoring stuff and handicap linking.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Still trying to figure out why I'm snap hooking all my drives and woods and hitting my irons pretty well. I think I've got it down to something going on in my backswing, because at the range today I was hot garbage hitting driver until the sun lined up behind me in such a way that the shadow of the club head was visible and I ended up waiting until the shadow covered the ball on the tee before starting my downswing and started to get solid contact back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Went to Gamble Sands and Bear Mountian in Eastern Wa last week and Desert Canyon the week before. Thought I'd share some pictures and some thoughts from a scrub tier (18.6HC) golfer.

Gamble Sands:
I think I get the hype. This course is extremely challenging in terms of finding correct distance and playing the angles. I can see it being very enjoyable if I had the time or money to play there a dozen times. As it stands, it was about 500 dollars for peak time tee time with cart for me and my old man and there was so many blind approaches or teeing off from a blind location I didn't really enjoy it. I'd love to play it again next year on a weekday rate, otherwise I don't think it's worth it. Almost all the courses at Bandon Dunes or even a Washington National are, to me, more rewarding for the cost. I did net my first eagle on 18 though! A 290 yard drive down a hill and then a 5 iron hit thin to 20 feet. gently caress it, I'll take it. Shot an 87, which I'm really happy about.

Bear Mountain:
This course loving rocks and almost every hole was breathtaking. Tons of elevation gain, tons of tricky shots, but you can actually see them. I never felt cheated. The only downside is the deer hosed up a couple greens. I think if I could play any course forever this would be right there. About half the cost of Gamble Sands. Shot a 93 and earned every dumb stroke.

Desert Canyon:
Course was alright, whatever. Worst of em all.