Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That's a really good price. Good examples are going up in value, importers are charging 10K+ USD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Nitrox posted:

That's a really good price. Good examples are going up in value, importers are charging 10K+ USD

I really have no idea what the value of a Russian Fiat is outside of Russia.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Darchangel posted:

Anything unique and authentic is $$$$ since everything else is homogeneous.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

"Very unique, rotary engine, custom chassis, closest thing to a go kart you can get on the street. Call or text if you’re interested as there is too much to list. Ab registered and insured. Selling because we need a more family sized toy. Trades for 50s car considered. 10000.00obo"

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1927-ford-model-t-ratrod/1580157740

I need more parking spaces because drat do I want this.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

"Very unique, rotary engine, custom chassis, closest thing to a go kart you can get on the street. Call or text if you’re interested as there is too much to list. Ab registered and insured. Selling because we need a more family sized toy. Trades for 50s car considered. 10000.00obo"

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1927-ford-model-t-ratrod/1580157740

I need more parking spaces because drat do I want this.

Oh, I want that to take to rotary meets.
I really hope there's a radiator back under the bed. That seems to be where the coolant pipes are going.
CA$10K doesn't seem outrageous for original tin.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Darchangel posted:

I really hope there's a radiator back under the bed. That seems to be where the coolant pipes are going.

I want to take that to the GNRS and bounce it off the limiter while doing donuts in the parking lot for like three hours.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Darchangel posted:

The wooden bed looks to be filled with the radiator.

Something approximating that hot rod has been in my dreams for two decades. I’m happy someone made one.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://michener.auctioneersoftware.com/auctions/9021/lot/7255-2003-Volkswagen-Jetta-GLS-1.8T-4dr-Sedan

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I’m in awe.

I sold my spare ‘95 Ranger beater truck a week ago and today the guy starts calling me and texting me asking for me to pay for his repairs to pass state inspection. He claims I took advantage of him and I need to make it right.

When he showed up to look at it, he wasn’t a kid, he was a 50-something who brought two other guys along with him, none of whom inspected the truck in any detail or asked any further questions or requested a PPI. He wanted to do the deal immediately and refused to even wait to pay me even though we had to wait to do the paperwork until the next day at the notary.

I told him I’d only owned it for six weeks and had fixed the exhaust, shifter, window motor and ignition barrel. I’d driven it back and forth 90 minutes each way and had no issues but I hadn’t owned it long at all. I even gave him $700 off the price of the truck just as a nice gesture without him asking.

When I told him “sorry but it’s as-is, it’s a 26 year old truck, there are no guarantees”, he threatened me with his lawyer. Buddy, go right ahead - you just lost all your bargaining power and what goodwill you ever had with me. I told him to not contact me again and all communications need to come from an attorney. Having met this guy and after this exchange I’m sure he doesn’t have money for a lawyer since he can’t even pay for the repairs.

I am unfortunately too honest when I sell cars so I’ve never dealt with this before because I go into so much detail. I’ve also never asked a seller for money after a sale, so this is a completely crazy request to me. Even my completely level headed and forgiving wife said he needs to take a long walk off a short pier.

What the gently caress, used car market?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

that may not be a factor of the market so much as the "some people are assholes" principle

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I’m in awe.

I sold my spare ‘95 Ranger beater truck a week ago and today the guy starts calling me and texting me asking for me to pay for his repairs to pass state inspection. He claims I took advantage of him and I need to make it right.

When he showed up to look at it, he wasn’t a kid, he was a 50-something who brought two other guys along with him, none of whom inspected the truck in any detail or asked any further questions or requested a PPI. He wanted to do the deal immediately and refused to even wait to pay me even though we had to wait to do the paperwork until the next day at the notary.

I told him I’d only owned it for six weeks and had fixed the exhaust, shifter, window motor and ignition barrel. I’d driven it back and forth 90 minutes each way and had no issues but I hadn’t owned it long at all. I even gave him $700 off the price of the truck just as a nice gesture without him asking.

When I told him “sorry but it’s as-is, it’s a 26 year old truck, there are no guarantees”, he threatened me with his lawyer. Buddy, go right ahead - you just lost all your bargaining power and what goodwill you ever had with me. I told him to not contact me again and all communications need to come from an attorney. Having met this guy and after this exchange I’m sure he doesn’t have money for a lawyer since he can’t even pay for the repairs.

I am unfortunately too honest when I sell cars so I’ve never dealt with this before because I go into so much detail. I’ve also never asked a seller for money after a sale, so this is a completely crazy request to me. Even my completely level headed and forgiving wife said he needs to take a long walk off a short pier.

What the gently caress, used car market?

If you have 'as is' in writing especially, tell him to suck a male camel's dick

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Not that he has a leg to stand on, but yeah, whenever I do a private sale I have the buyer sign a super basic bill of sale including as-is language just in case.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

opengl128 posted:

Not that he has a leg to stand on, but yeah, whenever I do a private sale I have the buyer sign a super basic bill of sale including as-is language just in case.

Yup.

As-is
Where-is
How-is.
All. Sales. Final.

You could have backed out at the time of sale but you didn't. Its all yours to keep now.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yikes. I've only had one guy ever contact me post sale. Just wanted some more info to try and warranty some parts I installed. Younger guy that was super nice so I tried to help him out and he never asked for money. That poo poo cray

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Private sales are implied as-is anyway. Some states, I believe Massachusetts, the buyer can come after you if the car fails emissions, which is a load of horseshit in its own right.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Darchangel posted:

A decent not dead example of 2106 in russia is five hundo to a grand. Great condition with untouched chassis is 3 grand.
If anyone would like to import such thing, tell me how much will it cost to ship and import it, 1.3 to 1.5L displacement, 60 to 90hp, over 25 years old

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Don’t have that verbiage in writing, but it’s a used vehicle being sold private party. In my state, even if it’s from a dealer you only have 72 hours to make a complaint and if it’s private party there are no provisions. It’s as-is every time unless otherwise specified.

I’ve bought plenty of cars that needed a bit of work after purchase that the seller never fully disclosed or even knew about and I just went about my day and had the issues fixed. It’s never even crossed my mind to ask for money.

Most recent example - our Del Sol needed an exhaust mid pipe, all new brake hard lines and new wheel cylinders in the rear for state inspection. Sucks a bit, but hey it was a ‘94 with 175k miles. I am sure the seller didn’t know about the issues and even if they did, buyer beware.

Here’s our exchange yesterday:

There’s no way that the guy who bought the car from me wrote those messages. It was 100% his dickhead aggressive nephew that came along for the ride, speaking for him. After we did the paperwork at the notary, the nephew was crazy confrontational and contrary for no reason at all, even making fun of the car my wife brought to pick me up in (500 Abarth). He had absolutely zero stake in the transaction other than being transportation for his uncle.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Don’t have that verbiage in writing, but it’s a used vehicle being sold private party. In my state, even if it’s from a dealer you only have 72 hours to make a complaint and if it’s private party there are no provisions. It’s as-is every time unless otherwise specified.

I’ve bought plenty of cars that needed a bit of work after purchase that the seller never fully disclosed or even knew about and I just went about my day and had the issues fixed. It’s never even crossed my mind to ask for money.

Most recent example - our Del Sol needed an exhaust mid pipe, all new brake hard lines and new wheel cylinders in the rear for state inspection. Sucks a bit, but hey it was a ‘94 with 175k miles. I am sure the seller didn’t know about the issues and even if they did, buyer beware.

There’s no way that the guy who bought the car from me wrote those messages. It was 100% his dickhead aggressive nephew that came along for the ride, speaking for him. After we did the paperwork at the notary, the nephew was crazy confrontational and contrary for no reason at all, even making fun of the car my wife brought to pick me up in (500 Abarth). He had absolutely zero stake in the transaction other than being transportation for his uncle.

People don't understand that as-is means it can literally catch on fire when they turn the key for the first time, and the seller has no responsibility.
THE WORLD OWES ME EVERYTHING FOR FREE attitude is a bit much for me to handle.

Used cars are a crapshoot (not saying yours was crap, just in general), this is why i advise people who know nothing about car shouldn't buy an older used car....

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

He's just mad that he hosed up and didn't look at it closely enough, if I lived in a state that required inspection you bet your rear end I'd make sure it passed before I bought the drat thing if I was worried about it passing inspection. Otherwise you live with what it needs, poo poo happens, buying used cars is like a box of chocolates....

Also LOL at state inspections, NY can kiss my rear end

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

chrisgt posted:

Private sales are implied as-is anyway. Some states, I believe Massachusetts, the buyer can come after you if the car fails emissions, which is a load of horseshit in its own right.

CA also, but in a different way from what I recall. You simply can't sell it at all without a currently valid emissions inspection. I don't know the details, but buyers get hosed on this as well as back DMV fees anyway.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The only time I've had a buyer contact me later was about 8 months after I sold my JK Wrangler. I was concerned when I saw I had a voicemail from the guy. Turns out I'm an rear end in a top hat and when I cleaned out the glovebox and console I didn't realize I took the lugnut key. Poor old man had a flat that needed to be repaired but...well...

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Motronic posted:

CA also, but in a different way from what I recall. You simply can't sell it at all without a currently valid emissions inspection. I don't know the details, but buyers get hosed on this as well as back DMV fees anyway.

You can sell it without a current cert, but you are technically supposed to provide one - for all of CA's labyrinthian/byzantine/insane car laws, it's bizarrely honor-system. Few people actually know about the rule even though the DMV website is clear if you look into it. Before I knew any better I bought two cars without a provided CA smog cert, and just got them done myself assuming that's how it worked. Luckily both were OK (including my 88 cherokee :eek:).

I've told a lot of people about this when they're asking me about buying cars, and I think I've only met one person who knew to ask for current smog papers. I don't know what recourse you'd have on a private party sale if you bought a failed vehicle unless you got the courts involved.

There is a way to look up back fees on a plate or VIN in CA IIRC, and you should absolutely do that if the registration status is at all suspicious.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

hnnnnggggggg

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

You can sell it without a current cert, but you are technically supposed to provide one - for all of CA's labyrinthian/byzantine/insane car laws, it's bizarrely honor-system.

That really is bizarre. I mean.....all they have to do is require the cert to be included for processing change of title/ownership. Badabing badabang, enforced.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

That really is bizarre. I mean.....all they have to do is require the cert to be included for processing change of title/ownership. Badabing badabang, enforced.

The deadbeats that let it lapse for 4 years would rather ship it out of state than pay it. If you trap the new owner into backtaxes at registration, you have some leverage.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I haven't bought a car in CA for a while but I remember the other thing you have to watch out for: if it's been unregistered for years, and the owner is a lazy fucker who didn't get a non-op, you're on the hook for hundreds of dollars when you go in to register it. I ran into this repeatedly when trying to buy a used motorcycle: $800 bike, with $500 back fees because the guy parked it for 10 years. Luckily I was aware of that poo poo and didn't buy anything like that... I believe you can put the VIN into the DMV website and it'll tell you what it would cost to register.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

I haven't bought a car in CA for a while but I remember the other thing you have to watch out for: if it's been unregistered for years, and the owner is a lazy fucker who didn't get a non-op, you're on the hook for hundreds of dollars when you go in to register it. I ran into this repeatedly when trying to buy a used motorcycle: $800 bike, with $500 back fees because the guy parked it for 10 years. Luckily I was aware of that poo poo and didn't buy anything like that... I believe you can put the VIN into the DMV website and it'll tell you what it would cost to register.

That, to me is loving stupid - but then again, California would be happy if you would just junk that old car please.
“Register” a car non-op. WTF?
If it’s non-op, I ain’t paying for it to sit around, and if I’m driving around illegally unregistered, it’s up to you to catch me, fuckers.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

Wait, if it's NOT ON THE loving ROAD, you have to still pay back-taxes as if it were on the road?
I really didn't need more excuses to never move to CA, but WTF?!

If I don't register a car for more than 9? months here, it just moves to registration that month and nobody cares. If it's expired less than 9 months, i guess you technically pay 9 months back payment, but a new owner doesn't. They just pay the second they get reg, not a moment earlier. Kinda makes sense!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Can't you just register it in another state and then move it back? They can't prove it was in California that whole time.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

chrisgt posted:

Wait, if it's NOT ON THE loving ROAD, you have to still pay back-taxes as if it were on the road?

If I don't register a car for more than 9? months here, it just moves to registration that month and nobody cares. If it's expired less than 9 months, i guess you technically pay 9 months back payment, but a new owner doesn't. They just pay the second they get reg, not a moment earlier. Kinda makes sense!

Yes. A non-op is cheap, but if you're a dumb California fuckup it's absurdly easy to end up with a $1000 car that would cost $2000 to register. https://jalopnik.com/californias-planned-non-operation-registration-a-quick-1844706887

KillHour posted:

Can't you just register it in another state and then move it back? They can't prove it was in California that whole time.

Maybe? Probably depends on the state... Montana is famously easy to register a car in, right? In New Mexico, they want you to show up at the MVD with the vehicle and the title, and I'm not sure you can register a car there unless you have a NM license, so it would be challenging unless you had actually moved to NM.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

KillHour posted:

This works best if you also get a job, a place to live, and never look back.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

StormDrain posted:

This works best if you also get a job, a place to live, and never look back.

I don't particularly want to live in California but I think I'd pick it over pretty much any of the states surrounding it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I actually love California, beautiful state, and wildly varied conditions (natural and cultural) throughout.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Motronic posted:

:shucks: They DO require for a cert to have been electronically filed before you can transfer ownership. However, the seller is not required to be present at time of transfer. Sooo, if I meet Seller after work on a Wednesday and buy lovely Car not knowing about the cert rule, then go to the DMV/AAA Thursday to put it in my name, they're going to tell me I need to get it smogged. If it fails, I'm SOL and as far as I know there is no official documented recourse to go after the seller because of private party, as-is, you're-on-your-own stuff mentioned earlier. It's completely on the seller to be honest or the buyer to be educated, be willing to get the courts involved, or have a good muscle guy to convince the seller of his wrongs.

chrisgt posted:

If you plan on not using a vehicle at time of renewal, it's like $20/yr or something to put it on non-operating status, all you do is check a box. If you are absentminded and neglect this step, the back/late fees of not paying one way or the other will add up very rapidly as you go about your life thinking "well, I'm not driving it". These fees will need to be paid at the time of next renewal or change of ownership, which bites a lot of unsuspecting rubes who show up to register their new vehicle (there is an online portal to check for back fees). Once again, on the seller to be honest or the buyer to be educated.

KillHour posted:

Don't know, but I think depending on the year of the vehicle you have to get it inspected when it's registered from out of state? I also imagine there is a Database of VINS that Owe Money. Not sure on that but all of the paperwork involved is probably where people throw up their hands and render unto caesar.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Don't know, but I think depending on the year of the vehicle you have to get it inspected when it's registered from out of state? I also imagine there is a Database of VINS that Owe Money. Not sure on that but all of the paperwork involved is probably where people throw up their hands and render unto caesar.

There has to be an exception for vehicles which have been out of state for some period of time. Imagine you're living in Oregon, and you buy a used car and drive it happily for a couple years, then you move to California and then find out that it has outstanding fees from three owners ago, when it sat in a back yard in Sacramento for two years. As hosed as California is--and it's really hosed--I can't imagine a situation in which you as the buyer of a used car need to be aware of not just your own state's registration policies, but those of every other state in the country in case you should ever have to move there.

The only good thing about California's DMV is that they require the seller to provide a valid emissions test; it makes the buying process way less of a gamble. Just ask about the test when you send the email on Craigslist, and if they act like it's not their responsibility, walk away.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

send him the goatman

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Midjack posted:

send him the goatman

I was gonna suggest the navy seals copypasta.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

I have done this before as a favor for a CA friend, but years ago — I basically “bought” the car from him, “moved” to wisconsin, then “moved” back and “sold” it to his wife, who then wasn’t on the hook for the $800 in fees on a $2k car . I don’t know if it still works; California is notorious for getting their pound of flesh, no matter the cost (at one time they even had a DMV website feature/1-800 hotline to report your neighbors for having out-of-state plates). I hope I never have to find out. I work and stay out there a lot, but I only have one vehicle registered in California, and only because the seller actually knew the smog cert rule, and provided me with the fresh certification when I bought it, which was flabbergasting. the address listed on the California title is my Wisconsin address and I have never been asked to smog it again.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Update:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sadly a rarity now when someone self reflects and mans up and realizes it isn't always someone elses fault.