Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I mean, if you want some quality crypitid cards you could always check out the Danger! yugioh card series. Also the monsters are based on cryptids: https://yugioh.fandom.com/wiki/Danger!
You can pick up each of these cards for like 5 dollars each on ebay, they make great bookmarks!

im not into the art as much but the jackalope is cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hanako-san there is an anime/manga reference.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I mean that is referencing an actual urban legend

the important issue is there an aka manto card, the cooler japanese bathroom ghost

Snooze Cruise has a new favorite as of 10:00 on Aug 4, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Snooze Cruise posted:

I mean that is referencing an actual urban legend

the important issue is there an aka manto card, the cooler japanese bathroom ghost

Oh, huh, today I learned! Thanks!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was listening to the episode of MonsterTalk about Cicada 3301. I've seen a lot about it, but it was the first time they got into the actual philosophy and sources of the subjects of the puzzles. Most videos are about the mystery of who it is.

For those not aware, Cicada 3301 is a series of cryptographical puzzles that appeared on the internet in the early 2010s and has released new puzzles over the years, though hasn't done anything since 2016. Everything is made from open source and public sources, except one image is ai generated. they use a variety of cryptographical methods, including the Caeserian, which is where you wrap a series of letters and numbers around a round object of a certain size to figure it out. If you saw ORB from Venture Bros this is what Billy uses.

Anyways, who made it is a mystery, but whomever they are they have access to some tech that normal people wouldn't otherwise (the AI generated image was made in 2012 or so before stuff like that was common), they only post during work days and they are well versed in esoteric stuff like Alister Crowley. Though honestly, its less about who puts it out but what the point and what the puzzles ultimately mean and lead too. Where it meets conspiracies is that a lot of different groups have claimed Cicada is related to their beliefs, Anon seems to have spun out of the decryption community, Q thinks that it exposes the Deep State, that is some secret society or intelligence service trying to recruit. Due to the mysterious nature of the whole thing it lends itself to basic any thinking.

Philosophically, you find a weird mix of privacy and materialism, like everyone's data should be encrypted and private, but also get as much stuff you can, but also lets burn it all down and start again. Which is probably why few people talk about this aspect.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This is rad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M79HwJHKHoU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, I feel like it’s a drone made up as well, but I’d also love to be proven wrong.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Huh that's cool. I figured it was someone with a fancy jetpack being dumb flying near aircraft.

BTW that video reminds me of Lemmino and the one about Malyasian Airlines flight 370
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd2KEHvK-q8

that one is a super weird mystery because there is no evidence that this was some kind of murder suicide, the pilot was skilled and if there was instrument failure you'd think there would be some communication and everything is just really confusing and weird.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I know this is the cryptids and conspiracies thread so this totally fits, but it being posted here makes me really hope Bigfoot has jetpacks now.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

idk if this is the right thread for it, but i have a photo of a UFO i saw a couple of years ago. I've seen 3 or 4 UFOs in my life, one during the daytime which I'm pretty sure was some kind of experimental human drone or plane that I couldn't identify, and two at night which were just oddly behaving lights moving too rapidly and in too strange a pattern to be either a helicopter or a plane

but this is one i saw at dusk, while I was out walking at the local reservoir. I saw a moving bright light out on the horizon, and I could see that it was passing behind the silhouettes of distant treetops, so I knew it wasn't just like a small firefly or something close up. I took my phone out to take a picture, and after I took it the light slowed down and stopped. The light seemed to get brighter and I felt a really eerie sensation of being watched. then the light died down and just seemed to vanish, i dont know if it was moving away from me in a straight line or if it was fading away, but it left and the sensation stopped.

Ive taken a lot of photos of weird lights in the sky, and the sky in general, so despite the weirdness of the encounter I didn't think much about the photo. When I got home later I found out a close friend had died and that really took my mind off the whole thing.

but recently I was talking about UFOs with a friend and dug up the photo, and noticed something weird:

it's a very large photo, the UFO is just to the right of the sun over the treeline, you can zoom in really far

this is the UFO itself isolated. I had seen it as a bright light in the sky, bright enough and far enough away that I couldn't distinguish the shape behind the light. But on the camera it's a weird, black mass. It looks kinda artifacted, so maybe the phone camera had trouble capturing it, but the discrepancy between what I saw with my eyes and what the camera recorded is very strange.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

juggalo baby coffin posted:

idk if this is the right thread for it, but i have a photo of a UFO i saw a couple of years ago. I've seen 3 or 4 UFOs in my life, one during the daytime which I'm pretty sure was some kind of experimental human drone or plane that I couldn't identify, and two at night which were just oddly behaving lights moving too rapidly and in too strange a pattern to be either a helicopter or a plane

but this is one i saw at dusk, while I was out walking at the local reservoir. I saw a moving bright light out on the horizon, and I could see that it was passing behind the silhouettes of distant treetops, so I knew it wasn't just like a small firefly or something close up. I took my phone out to take a picture, and after I took it the light slowed down and stopped. The light seemed to get brighter and I felt a really eerie sensation of being watched. then the light died down and just seemed to vanish, i dont know if it was moving away from me in a straight line or if it was fading away, but it left and the sensation stopped.

Ive taken a lot of photos of weird lights in the sky, and the sky in general, so despite the weirdness of the encounter I didn't think much about the photo. When I got home later I found out a close friend had died and that really took my mind off the whole thing.

but recently I was talking about UFOs with a friend and dug up the photo, and noticed something weird:

it's a very large photo, the UFO is just to the right of the sun over the treeline, you can zoom in really far

this is the UFO itself isolated. I had seen it as a bright light in the sky, bright enough and far enough away that I couldn't distinguish the shape behind the light. But on the camera it's a weird, black mass. It looks kinda artifacted, so maybe the phone camera had trouble capturing it, but the discrepancy between what I saw with my eyes and what the camera recorded is very strange.

please consider also posting that in this thread we'd love it :)

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

twistedmentat posted:

BTW that video reminds me of Lemmino and the one about Malyasian Airlines flight 370
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd2KEHvK-q8

that one is a super weird mystery because there is no evidence that this was some kind of murder suicide, the pilot was skilled and if there was instrument failure you'd think there would be some communication and everything is just really confusing and weird.

It's been a while since I watched it but iirc there was some pretty key information it left out which strongly points to the possibility of it being a murder suicide, like I don't think it went into the interviews with his colleagues who said he'd been depressed and made no plans for after the date of the flight, or the new research which indicates the flight path was intentionally chosen to avoid radar detection.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Whitlam posted:

It's been a while since I watched it but iirc there was some pretty key information it left out which strongly points to the possibility of it being a murder suicide, like I don't think it went into the interviews with his colleagues who said he'd been depressed and made no plans for after the date of the flight, or the new research which indicates the flight path was intentionally chosen to avoid radar detection.

I hadn't heard any new information in quite some time, that's an interesting read. If it's credible, that additional flight path info seems like the big piece of evidence that would finally remove most of the overall mystery.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Captain Hygiene posted:

I hadn't heard any new information in quite some time, that's an interesting read. If it's credible, that additional flight path info seems like the big piece of evidence that would finally remove most of the overall mystery.

There was a long running series of articles about MH in Wired, I think, that may have been written by a pilot. The final of them outright stated "everyone including the Malaysian government knows what happened" and pointed out all the evidence in favour, making a strong - although not waterproof - case. Worth chasing up.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Even before the new evidence it's the only theory that ever made any sense.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

There were a lot of wild local Malaysian theories about mh370, especially since it happened around the time the former prime Minister was implicated in a major financial fraud where he and his wife was treating the country's federal reserve as their piggy bank. One of the strangest ones I heard was there being a shipment of luxury goods belonging to the wife being held in the plane, there was an exchange mid air with a China bound flight swapping out the Birkin bags for bombs and then they blew mh370 up via remote control

The flight also carried scientists going for an aids conference so there was a conspiracy that the pilot committed murder suicide because he hated the gays that much

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Groovelord Neato posted:

Even before the new evidence it's the only theory that ever made any sense.

Well, yes. Or rather, it's the only theory that had any positive evidence to its credit, rather than crazy ideas like Saddest Rhino posted, that had to somehow sneak into the spaces in between the facts. Literally in some cases, like the idea the plane was hijacked and flown to Uzbekistan, flying between the gaps in radar coverage.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's weird how often that possibility seems to be discounted, though. Lots of the articles I've read just skip right by it, and when I read the Wikipedia summary the other day, I don't think it even mentioned the possibly in passing along all the other theories.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 14:58 on Aug 11, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was watching older Izzyzzz videos and she has this on one Alexandra's Genesis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKKdDByP-qM

It is presented as a genetic mutation that causes you to have purple or violet eyes, no body hair, you live well into your hundreds, you look young and hot the whole time, no periods and no body waste. As said in the video, Mary Sue Disease. And people belived it, they claimed to have it or know people who have it. That they pointed to the supposed scientific and historical records that talk about it. I remember seeing people in the early 2010s claiming they had it on various social media sites, thought pretty sure they just had coloured contacts or photopshoped, but they were adamant that they had this. Probably just the normal "white suburban bored kid trying to find something special about themselves" that also gave rise to otherkin and such.

It reminded me a lot about Indigo Children, but the origins are way more hilarious. Origin spoiler It was from a Daria fanfiction that someone on above top secret thought was real

Also that stuff about the pilot is interesting, I've read and seen a lot about it and its almost always mentioned that it didn't seem like he was depressed. I always felt that maybe there was an change is pressure that caused everyone to go unconscious and the plane just flew on its own, that's why it had such a weird flight path.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

It reminded me a lot about Indigo Children, but the origins are way more hilarious. Origin spoiler It was from a Daria fanfiction that someone on above top secret thought was real

:lmao: I cannot believe this is an actual true sentence.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

twistedmentat posted:

Origin spoiler It was from a Daria fanfiction that someone on above top secret thought was real

oh my god this owns so hard lmfao

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I refuse to believe the video game indigo prophecy is based on a misreading of a MTV cartoon fanfic

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I want to believe the video game indigo prophecy is based on a misreading of a MTV cartoon fanfic

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pastry of the Year posted:

:lmao: I cannot believe this is an actual true sentence.

Yea, its loving funny as hell.

I have seen Alexandra's Genesis talked about on Dark5 or some other clickbaity conspiracy channel in "top 5 mysterious illnesses" along with Morgellens. I also know Ancient Aliens theory comes from some french guy reading HP Lovecraft and thinking that he was writing stories based on actual history, who then wrote Morning of the Magicians which snowballed into the History Channel being bad.

We know people confuse movies and TV with reality a lot, remember Donny talking about how the Boarder Patrol found prayer mats at the Mexican boarder, and everyone pointed out that was from the Sicario movie that had just been released. At this point I just think all conspiracies are people who are very dumb confusing reality with entertainment.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

At this point I just think all conspiracies are people who are very dumb confusing reality with entertainment.

Especially with sightings—when you see something you can't quite process or don't quite understand, your brain scrambles for the best explanation available. That movie you saw or story you read is as good an explanation as any other, and probably more clear and emotionally impactful than your immediate imagination.

Though don't discount the opposite as well. Popular fiction often draws on conspiracy theory to create an echo chamber.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bert Roberge posted:

Fallout 76 kind of ruined West Virginia cryptids for a bunch of people, but I grew up reading these books about WV ghosts and cryptids and always loved them.

Ruth Ann Musick is basically responsible for singlehandedly tracking down the history of and popularizing almost every West Virginia ghost story and cryptid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Ann_Musick

“A bunch of people” is pushing it a bit haha

I do love these books, I’ve got all of Musick’s published work and a few other collections of WV/Appalachian folk tales, none of which are as good, unfortunately

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Here's something on the conspiracy end I don't think the thread has covered yet: facebook reminded me that a few years back, I was in Pittsburgh for work and happened to find a Toynbee tile:

It was almost surreal, I'd read about them before but to suddenly stumble upon one in living color right in the middle of an intersection was bizarre. I may or may not have stupidly stood there and gotten honked at.

Wikipedia has a good summary of what they're about and theories behind who's made them. The gist is that they're mysterious tiles that someone embeds in the road with a cryptic message; they all resolve around some vague conspiracy involving resurrecting the dead that also somehow ties into Jupiter and the film 2001, occasionally with other ideas floating in and out. They have most commonly appeared in Philadelphia, but have spread out from there - in Pennsylvania and elsewhere.

There are several theories mentioned as to who's behind them (excluding copycat versions), but the most straightforward seems to be related to someone who contacted radio shows and newspapers with similar ideas back in the '80s (before the tiles started appearing), or perhaps someone using his name as an alias. It's one of those mysteries that I find fascinating just because the presentation is so bizarre, but at heart isn't really important to solve because it'll just boil down to "some rando with weird ideas" pretty much no matter what.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

There's a great documentary about them as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIWpJ5Jl4fE
Not sure if it's streaming anywhere right now.

I saw one on South street in Philly about 5 seconds after arriving for the first time and I was like "man, this place owns"

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Here's something on the conspiracy end I don't think the thread has covered yet: facebook reminded me that a few years back, I was in Pittsburgh for work and happened to find a Toynbee tile:

It was almost surreal, I'd read about them before but to suddenly stumble upon one in living color right in the middle of an intersection was bizarre. I may or may not have stupidly stood there and gotten honked at.

Wikipedia has a good summary of what they're about and theories behind who's made them. The gist is that they're mysterious tiles that someone embeds in the road with a cryptic message; they all resolve around some vague conspiracy involving resurrecting the dead that also somehow ties into Jupiter and the film 2001, occasionally with other ideas floating in and out. They have most commonly appeared in Philadelphia, but have spread out from there - in Pennsylvania and elsewhere.

There are several theories mentioned as to who's behind them (excluding copycat versions), but the most straightforward seems to be related to someone who contacted radio shows and newspapers with similar ideas back in the '80s (before the tiles started appearing), or perhaps someone using his name as an alias. It's one of those mysteries that I find fascinating just because the presentation is so bizarre, but at heart isn't really important to solve because it'll just boil down to "some rando with weird ideas" pretty much no matter what.

Do you remember where it is?

The only ones I know of here were on Smithfield, but that doesn’t quite look like the images I have of them, though it might be an older photo. All but one of those are gone now

DeimosRising has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Aug 19, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Do you remember where it is?

The only ones I know of here were on Smithfield, but that doesn’t quite look like the images I have of them, though it might be an older photo. All but one of those are gone now

Smithfield & 6th I believe, based on this list. I was staying at the William Penn and figured out I could just barely see it from my room with my camera zoomed in. It was the next block over, so that looks right based on Google maps.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Smithfield & 6th I believe, based on this list. I was staying at the William Penn and figured out I could just barely see it from my room with my camera zoomed in. It was the next block over, so that looks right based on Google maps.

I think it’s the third one at the bottom here, if so now gone https://pittsburghorbit.com/tag/toynbee-tiles/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

I think it’s the third one at the bottom here, if so now gone https://pittsburghorbit.com/tag/toynbee-tiles/

Aw boo, if so :rip:

In looking up where I stayed, I found the trip was all the way back in 2011, so I'm not surprised if it disappeared in a decade.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
100% recommend watching Resurrect Dead, one of my favorite documentaries. They weave such a compelling narrative and the last 20 minutes are such a great enigmatic payoff.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Trey the Explainer, who has some great videos about crypids and globsters released a video about the history of the Reptoid conspiracy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2RjEqQwSPQ

I love how, like everything else, its just made up garbage someone used to make money and idiots in the future thought it was true.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I just wanna pop in to say I bought this poster a while back and I finally got it hanging on my wall and it looks great. I had to do a lot of extra doordashing late into the evening (There's a surprisingly large amount of people who order McDonalds between midnight and 3 AM, but then again I live in a college town so I guess that's not actually surprising at all now that I think about it) to pay for both it and a decent frame, but it was worth it.

I wish The Banshee of The Badlands was a more popular cryptid, she has such a cool name.

Bert Roberge posted:

Fallout 76 kind of ruined West Virginia cryptids for a bunch of people, but I grew up reading these books about WV ghosts and cryptids and always loved them.

Ruth Ann Musick is basically responsible for singlehandedly tracking down the history of and popularizing almost every West Virginia ghost story and cryptid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Ann_Musick

This was posted a while ago, but going back through old posts to find the poster lead to me coming across this and I just gotta say: I really don't think Fallout 76 ruined WV cryptids for anyone. They're still extremely well loved (especially Mothman) as they should be because they're a fantastic collection of spookums and monsters (especially Mothman).

Heck, I posted a bunch of the designs the Fallout 76 team came up with for WV Cryptids and people thought they looked pretty cool. If you took those same monster designs and put them better designed game I know I would be excited to play it, I bet other's would as well.

There's a lot of fun directions you could take a game about West Virginian cryptids: It could be a Monster Hunter like game where you track cryptids down, It could be a survival horror type game where you try to avoid cryptids who are tracking you, or maybe a Pokemon sort of game where you befriend cryptids and fight alongside them. Ooo! Or it could be sort of like Pokemon Snap where you hunt cryptids down, but instead of fighting them you just photograph them.

Fallout 76 might not have been a great game, but WV Cryptids are still hella cool.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Recent Idaho Bigfoot video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtmy4zLd030

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i can't tell which i like more
four seconds of footage being stretch to 10 minutes or the fact bigfoot looks like he had a really bad day— poor guy

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

i can't tell which i like more
four seconds of footage being stretch to 10 minutes or the fact bigfoot looks like he had a really bad day— poor guy

I like the youtube comments arguing in favor of the short footage, because obviously fight-or-flight would preclude anyone from getting a decent amount of Bigfoot footage Bigfootage

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I love how these things rarely come with details about who filmed it—aka by far the most important information. The video asks "who in their right mind would rent or buy a suit just to pull off a hoax" and I can guarantee that I would have an answer for that if we had the bio and online habits of the person who submitted the video. I'm gonna go ahead and guess it came from "a subscriber to Nv Tv."

Still, love the footage! Definitely one of the more convincing 'foots out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

feedmyleg posted:

Still, love the footage! Definitely one of the more convincing 'foots out there.

Oh c'mon that looks nothing like Bigfoot!