Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

The Netherlands' current and previous prime ministers both studied history. The previous one openly appealed to the "VOC-mentality" (VOC = Dutch East Indies Company) and the current one tries hard to be the most neoliberal neoliberal who ever neoliberaled. Also, Niall Ferguson is a historian. So uhh no, keep historians the gently caress away from government imo.

number moonlights as ruttes approval rating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

punished milkman posted:

yeah it’s very funny that all of the big tech companies decided this pipe dream was something worth collectively dumping trillions of dollars into

I'm to this day unable to convince my friends this poo poo isn't happening. They also think Elon Musk is cool and good. Shameful friends.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Flavahbeast posted:

why you slow chip

god drat

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Orange Devil posted:

The Netherlands' current and previous prime ministers both studied history. The previous one openly appealed to the "VOC-mentality" (VOC = Dutch East Indies Company) and the current one tries hard to be the most neoliberal neoliberal who ever neoliberaled. Also, Niall Ferguson is a historian. So uhh no, keep historians the gently caress away from government imo.

historians are really just the keepers of forums lore but irl

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Smythe posted:

historians are really just the keepers of forums lore but irl

true

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
someone explain the why u slow chip joke.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Xeom posted:

some douchebag probably current qcs poster was throwing french fries at asians and one of them said "why you throw chip" and a star was born

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Xeom posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=39

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Orange Devil posted:

isn't covid hitting Netherlands really loving hard?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Gas price chat will be coming back around. The White House shook their fist at OPEC and wants gas prices in the USA to be investigated for criminal activity.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Unoriginal Name posted:

Oops, All Whimpers

lol

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

crepeface posted:

the Danes will be fine

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Gas price chat will be coming back around. The White House shook their fist at OPEC and wants gas prices in the USA to be investigated for criminal activity.

Is gas going up because of transportation costs, worker pay shortages, another refinery explode somewhere, or just general corporate greed?

Makes me glad I found an electric vehicle in March and traded in my V8 gas guzzler Charger.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Manager at the bike shop I work at talked to one of the bike manufacturers we deal with.

The company that makes their saddles currently has an ETA of 700 days on placed orders. loving awesome having to wait two years for a bike seat.

Lol @ anyone who said things would get back to normal once we got covid vaccines.

Flavahbeast posted:

why you slow chip

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EvilJoven posted:

Manager at the bike shop I work at talked to one of the bike manufacturers we deal with.

The company that makes their saddles currently has an ETA of 700 days on placed orders. loving awesome having to wait two years for a bike seat.

Lol @ anyone who said things would get back to normal once we got covid vaccines.

i think an ETA of 700 days just means that bikes seats don't exist any more. that delay is just going to get longer until people realize this

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/LiveSquawk/status/1425434584116867072?s=19

Inflation hit estimates. Still high.

https://twitter.com/LiveSquawk/status/1425434596137648128?s=19

Wages continuing to decrease? The hell

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I am literally hoarding parts to keep my stuff going, both for leisure purposes and for when our truck finally dies and we can't replace it.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Wages continuing to decrease? The hell

wages do not go up. that is inflation which is bad. wages going up makes things more expensive so it is best for wage earners if wages always go down.

also, business owners would rather go out of business than increase wages.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

EvilJoven posted:

I am literally hoarding parts to keep my stuff going, ... for leisure purposes

:same: I have enough computer parts stashed in storage to build back at least one full rig instantly, and maybe another two or three sets of motherboard/CPU/RAM

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

bedpan posted:

This. Recently saw some family and a few of them were talking about how much trouble they're having filling positions and that they can barely keep things functioning and they've tried everything. I asked "have you tried raising the wage" and they looked at me like I was insane.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

bedpan posted:

wages do not go up. that is inflation which is bad. wages going up makes things more expensive so it is best for wage earners if wages always go down.

Wait you saying it was all a lie?!?!?!

Stagflation is here folks. We did it. The worst possible outcome.

Edit: here is the breakdown
https://twitter.com/byHeatherLong/status/1425435292811599883?s=19

Inflation is no longer and issue too. Viewed as signs of deceleration and we should be unconcerned from here on out. May drop out of the news cycle now.

Edit2:
https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1425437071217414151?s=19
This is what some people fear.

https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1425440946649436164?s=19

https://twitter.com/johnauthers/status/1425440125929103362?s=19

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 14:06 on Aug 11, 2021

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
3% on food is a loving lie

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Got a message for this poo poo rear end economy: Tip Over Bitch!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Koirhor posted:

well you see, actually, if we average out the price of all the food, including the cheap canned stuff that's good for years, it's only 3 p! sure if we just check at stuff like bread, milk or potatoes those have shot up 50p but who eats that -really-?????

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

crepeface posted:

Dutch government has hosed up in all possible ways you can imagine and then some, with predictable results (lots and lots of preventable deaths and long covid cases).

The main problems are:
1. Not reacting to the pandemic until there was already a mass outbreak within our borders
2. Setting the initial strategy as achieving herd immunity through letting the disease ravage the population, ostensibly while trying to protect the most vulnerable (but not actually doing that)
3. Changing the strategy slightly to no longer publicly stating herd immunity is the goal and instead having all policy be to try to prevent the ICs from overflowing. As long as IC capacity threshold is not exceeded, everything else is fine, and as soon as IC occupancy goes down that means we can abolish measures.
4. None of our government ministers do any goddamn work. Like, at all. Just an utter refusal to do literally anything stemming from an ideology that the market should solve things and government should get out of the way.
5. It turns out our entire body of experts is so far up their own rear end that they basically disregard scientific findings unless they have been performed or verified at Dutch universities or Dutch governmental health institutions. They also refuse to do anything based on a "better safe than sorry" idea and instead require things to be conclusively and scientifically proven before they will endorse them. So like, we had many months where it wasn't technically proven (by Dutch institutions) that masks would help (though like, there was no real downside to doing it just to be safe and the potential upside was huge) so their expert opinion was to not mandate masks and await further studies.
6. Everybody involved at all levels of everything in the entire country a priori assuming we are superior to others, very smart, very reasonable, very responsible people. No matter how many times reality proved this wrong.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/byHeatherLong/status/1425437621459865608?s=20

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Marching orders have come down
https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1425442727215476736?s=19
Inflation is over.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

for some reason we're now importing pork from the usa and no loving way i'm eating any of that

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Glad it's just gas that's heavily inflated, would hate for it to be something that we relied upon, like transport.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i filled up the tank in my corolla yesterday and it cost me 30 god drat dollars. then a trip to the grocery store to buy fresh veggies and hunt for cheap meat and that cost me 98 dollars. a quarter of my paycheck gone inside an hour

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

for some reason we're now importing pork from the usa and no loving way i'm eating any of that

My asian coworker keeps telling me that north american pork is just wrong, not what they are used to in general.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Serf posted:

i filled up the tank in my corolla yesterday and it cost me 30 god drat dollars. then a trip to the grocery store to buy fresh veggies and hunt for cheap meat and that cost me 98 dollars. a quarter of my paycheck gone inside an hour

canadians reading this will think you’re bragging btw

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
over here they stopped selling Chinese-style pork luncheon meat last year due to an outbreak of ASF and it's only been replaced with chicken meat and it's not the loving same goddamnit!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Lostconfused posted:

My asian coworker keeps telling me that north american pork is just wrong, not what they are used to in general.

i'm mostly concerned about lax food safety standards, not that ours are amazing or anything. but i've heard pork in particular is really bad in the usa

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Cold on a Cob posted:

Trump effectively ended meat inspection here, so I'd stick with the local stuff

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Koirhor posted:

i think you'll find the box is the same price

(the box holds 10% less)

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'm mostly concerned about lax food safety standards, not that ours are amazing or anything. but i've heard pork in particular is really bad in the usa

It's pretty bad for all animals. We've industrialized meat production by shoving between 2,000-2,500 live pigs inside of a warehouse called a CAFO (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation). These animals are packed in pens as close as possible, and poop through metal slats in the floor. They're fed a feed mixture which contains a cornucopia of antibiotics since otherwise all the pigs would end up dying from communicable diseases. There are generally between 2-10 of these massive football sized warehouses full of live animals per site so you could end up having 25,000 live pigs all being raised in a square mile.

This of course leads to massive waste problems because the strong chemical cleaners and toxic antibiotic poops from the pigs ends up massively polluting the groundwater and local environment since operators just dump it on the ground nearby. Property values within a mile of CAFO's drop on average 80% in value, and within 5 miles 60% because of the health effects on humans caused by the toxic sludge these facilities emit.

Something like 80-90% of all meat in America is raised in this fashion. Welcome to hell world.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Cold on a Cob posted:

trump completely deregulated pork production and I'm 100% sure biden hasn't done anything to reverse that

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/theGrio/status/1424796368128860162?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Beached Whale posted:

It's pretty bad for all animals. We've industrialized meat production by shoving between 2,000-2,500 live pigs inside of a warehouse called a CAFO (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation). These animals are packed in pens as close as possible, and poop through metal slats in the floor. They're fed a feed mixture which contains a cornucopia of antibiotics since otherwise all the pigs would end up dying from communicable diseases. There are generally between 2-10 of these massive football sized warehouses full of live animals per site so you could end up having 25,000 live pigs all being raised in a square mile.

This of course leads to massive waste problems because the strong chemical cleaners and toxic antibiotic poops from the pigs ends up massively polluting the groundwater and local environment since operators just dump it on the ground nearby. Property values within a mile of CAFO's drop on average 80% in value, and within 5 miles 60% because of the health effects on humans caused by the toxic sludge these facilities emit.

Something like 80-90% of all meat in America is raised in this fashion. Welcome to hell world.

reading this invoked the same reaction as watching the scene in First Reformed when the beautiful landscapes are replaced by seas of one-use plastics and mountain ranges made of used tires.