Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

aldantefax posted:

Thinking about setting up the La Pavoni again now that we're moving everything to the new place. I'd like to swap the Baratza 270wi that I have for something else, so looking for recommendations in that price point. I didn't really care for the grind to weight feature since it never worked quite right and the motor whine is just a little too high pitched for me, so it grates on my ears a bit and just makes the experience just that little less bit pleasant.

Eureka Mignon, maybe? Does Mahlkoenig make a home grinder or is it all commercial ones?

The noise doesn't bother me with my 270wi, but yeah the grind by weight portion doesn't work well for mine either. I always end up weighing the output anyway because the integrated scale reading during the grind just lies to you. If I lift up the grounds cup a little and put it right back down most of the time it recalibrates to the actual weight, but I don't trust it all at this point. They don't make it easy to manually grind either, so overall I'm pretty disappointed with it.

I believe the Niche is still pretty well thought of for something that is sub $1k, and they seem to be slowly getting their poo poo together on the production/sales side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I'd advise the Specialita over the Silenzio - it has the bigger burrs, even if the digital timer is just a gimmick.

It definitely has enough range to get to Aeropress range, and can probably do pourover even if I've not used it for that - it'd be a pain to dial back into espresso ranges if I loosened it up that far.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Canuck-Errant posted:

I'd advise the Specialita over the Silenzio - it has the bigger burrs, even if the digital timer is just a gimmick.

It definitely has enough range to get to Aeropress range, and can probably do pourover even if I've not used it for that - it'd be a pain to dial back into espresso ranges if I loosened it up that far.

It can, and it is

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm half seriously considering hacking together a raspberry pi based machine that automatically dispenses a set mass of coffee from a box

Like press a button, a valve opens and fills a cup until it is at a preset weight

Use some sort of calibration algorithm to train it to close the valve at the right moment

I don't really mind grinding manually but for some reason the act of whipping out the drug dealer scales and counting beans for every cup annoys me a little

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

edit: double post sry

eke out fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 9, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lord Stimperor posted:

I don't really mind grinding manually but for some reason the act of whipping out the drug dealer scales and counting beans for every cup annoys me a little

can always just get a test tube rack (or pay weber like three hundred dollars for a coffee-specific test tube rack) and predose 18g or whatever portions

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It takes like 5 seconds to measure the beans

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I like weighing out the beans most because if I do a little more or a little less, I get to see how that affects things! Half a gram too much?? Perhaps I should grind coarser to accommodate!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Mu Zeta posted:

It takes like 5 seconds to measure the beans

I don't like getting the bags and scale out, opening both, weighing out, looking for stray beans under the table, then putting everything away

eke out posted:

can always just get a test tube rack (or pay weber like three hundred dollars for a coffee-specific test tube rack) and predose 18g or whatever portions

That, on the other hand, is actually just dorky enough for me to try. I had thought about getting a few small metal containers for travel but this kind of makes sense. (Continues to scroll AliExpress for perfect containers for five hours)

E: they even have little brown ones that would block the sun, but they're in an ugly shape and expensive

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 9, 2021

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
UV light probably doesn’t make any difference unless you’re counting out your beans a month or more in advance or storing them in a place that gets direct sunlight for at least part of the day

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Lord Stimperor posted:

That, on the other hand, is actually just dorky enough for me to try. I had thought about getting a few small metal containers for travel but this kind of makes sense. (Continues to scroll AliExpress for perfect containers for five hours)

Let us know if you find something cool. I like the idea of pre-measuring beans for the week in dorky little tubes.

I looked at the Weber page out of curiosity. Cool stuff, but crazy expensive. Love the promo video for EG-1 Onyx. The dude is living a fantasy hipster cool guy life, which I suppose is what is required to afford a $4,195.00 single-shot coffee grinder.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
A single bean is about 0.1g. A few tenths of a gram makes a difference in espresso so whatever dispenser/timer mechanism would need to be close to single-bean accurate.

If I were gonna raspberry pi something it’d be a motorized dial for my mignon silenzio so it could remember the current position, switch to a pour-over position, then back to the espresso position.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Deathlove posted:

I like weighing out the beans most because if I do a little more or a little less, I get to see how that affects things! Half a gram too much?? Perhaps I should grind coarser to accommodate!

Same, but only because I get to see my laziness threshold. Morning brew is 20g but I can swing +-.3g before I put beans back in the container.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Dren posted:

It can, and it is

See, this is the good info. My current habit is espresso in the morning, and a Clever cup mid-morning. So going to and fro may not be the most fun experience.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Trip report: The Lagom P64 makes excellent espresso. Holy gently caress.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Bobstar posted:

See, this is the good info. My current habit is espresso in the morning, and a Clever cup mid-morning. So going to and fro may not be the most fun experience.

The dial goes from like 1-5 or something where 1 is the smallest and 5 is the largest. BUT 5 is not the largest. It’s an infinite dial it keeps going around and around. To get to pourover size from espresso size required two or three full rotations. And the problem, which I saw described elsewhere so I knew about it when I switched up the grind size, is that it’s easy to forget how many rotations in you are and gently caress up switching back. I thought “Oh, I’ll just remember” but then I didn’t. Then on the way back the grind didn’t seem quite the same on the same number settings and I ended up spending several cups dialing it back in.

Also, if you tighten the dial all the way down the burrs touch and it will not grind. I think what may have gotten the numbers to match up again was going all the way to this point then back up but I haven’t experimented with it again. If that is the case, it’s maybe not so bad to switch because you could tighten the burrs all the way then move back to about the right spot. You’d only waste a cup, maybe two dialing back in. I think with a bit of practice you might not waste any? I’d have to try it out again but I make pourover so infrequently that I haven’t been bothered to try again.

The silenzio is very quiet though! And it’s quite easy to minimize popping by sliding the little gate back over the beans when single-dosing with the supplied hopper.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Lord Stimperor posted:

I'm half seriously considering hacking together a raspberry pi based machine that automatically dispenses a set mass of coffee from a box

Like press a button, a valve opens and fills a cup until it is at a preset weight

Use some sort of calibration algorithm to train it to close the valve at the right moment

Alternative theory it's the drug dealer scales that are annoying and a better set of scales would be a better choice?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Dren posted:

Also, if you tighten the dial all the way down the burrs touch and it will not grind. I think what may have gotten the numbers to match up again was going all the way to this point then back up but I haven’t experimented with it again. If that is the case, it’s maybe not so bad to switch because you could tighten the burrs all the way then move back to about the right spot. You’d only waste a cup, maybe two dialing back in. I think with a bit of practice you might not waste any? I’d have to try it out again but I make pourover so infrequently that I haven’t been bothered to try again.

I'm sure you already know this, but just in case someone else doesn't know this already: If you're going to tighten your grind, make sure you're running the motor while you do it. It stops beans/bean fragments from pushing the burrs around in unhealthy ways.

Also: The little gate on the hopper is also useful for making sure that the motor is already running when you drop the beans into the burrs. This, apparently, is better for the long term health of the motor.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 10, 2021

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

Dren posted:

The silenzio is very quiet though! And it’s quite easy to minimize popping by sliding the little gate back over the beans when single-dosing with the supplied hopper.

How quiet is quiet? Like, occasional office cubical usage quiet? Guessing that’s a pipe dream :) although in the Covid times I can use my hand grinder because there’s no one else here anyway

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Nuurd posted:

How quiet is quiet? Like, occasional office cubical usage quiet? Guessing that’s a pipe dream :) although in the Covid times I can use my hand grinder because there’s no one else here anyway

Depends on your coworkers, I suppose. My TV room (20 ft from the grinder) and dining room (like 12 ft?) are adjacent to my kitchen. When someone is watching TV or my daughter is at the dining room table doing remote school I use the grinder and no one complains. It only runs for like 15 seconds.

A dB meter app on my phone clocked it at 58 dBa with just the motor running, 80-84 while grinding.

Gunder posted:

I'm sure you already know this, but just in case someone else doesn't know this already: If you're going to tighten your grind, make sure you're running the motor while you do it. It stops beans/bean fragments from pushing the burrs around in unhealthy ways.

Also: The little gate on the hopper is also useful for making sure that the motor is already running when you drop the beans into the burrs This, apparently, is better for the long term health of the motor.

Didn’t know about running the motor while changing the grind size. Good tip.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I am aware that cheap espresso grinders are garbage. That being said, I have an EC155 and need a similar priced grinder to go with it.

I had an Ariete 3107 grinder pro, which worked well enough for my needs, but it completely died in 6 months.

Is there something that’s reasonably ok at the $50-$100 price point? Or at least what’s the best of that price range? Ideally it’d also grind for drip, but I can take or leave that aspect if I have to.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Dren posted:

The dial goes from like 1-5 or something where 1 is the smallest and 5 is the largest. BUT 5 is not the largest. It’s an infinite dial it keeps going around and around. To get to pourover size from espresso size required two or three full rotations. And the problem, which I saw described elsewhere so I knew about it when I switched up the grind size, is that it’s easy to forget how many rotations in you are and gently caress up switching back. I thought “Oh, I’ll just remember” but then I didn’t. Then on the way back the grind didn’t seem quite the same on the same number settings and I ended up spending several cups dialing it back in.

That's very interesting, thanks.

Looking into it more, maybe the Niche is right up my street. Single dose, easy to flip between espresso and coarser methods, both dial-wise and retention-wise, looks nicer (to me) than the Mignon ones.

Shame that it's £499 before Brexit-related import duties :sigh:

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I am aware that cheap espresso grinders are garbage. That being said, I have an EC155 and need a similar priced grinder to go with it.

I had an Ariete 3107 grinder pro, which worked well enough for my needs, but it completely died in 6 months.

Is there something that’s reasonably ok at the $50-$100 price point? Or at least what’s the best of that price range? Ideally it’d also grind for drip, but I can take or leave that aspect if I have to.

Assuming you are using a pressurized basket with that machine, it won't make a giant difference getting a fancy grinder. I used a Capresso Infinity with my cheap DeLonghi for a couple years before I upgraded, and it was fine.

Just know stuff in this price range won't do well with unpressurized portafilters in higher end machines if you are planning on upgrading somewhere down the road.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Bobstar posted:

That's very interesting, thanks.

Looking into it more, maybe the Niche is right up my street. Single dose, easy to flip between espresso and coarser methods, both dial-wise and retention-wise, looks nicer (to me) than the Mignon ones.

Shame that it's £499 before Brexit-related import duties :sigh:

Niche is a uk company; how are there brexit-related taxes? :britain:

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

As bandire points out, it’s a pressurized basket machine so any old grinder (or even pre-ground) will work. Refurb baratza encore is close to your price range and will work great for both drip and pressurized-basket espresso, so if you can save up for a bit that’s the one to go for.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

hypnophant posted:

Because I'm in the EU and have to pay Dutch VAT and import duties and the charges the courier company decides to add for the pleasure of collecting those. Happened with the 9barista too.

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

Dren posted:

Depends on your coworkers, I suppose. My TV room (20 ft from the grinder) and dining room (like 12 ft?) are adjacent to my kitchen. When someone is watching TV or my daughter is at the dining room table doing remote school I use the grinder and no one complains. It only runs for like 15 seconds.

A dB meter app on my phone clocked it at 58 dBa with just the motor running, 80-84 while grinding.

Gotcha, thanks much. I figured it would be squarely in the “quiet - for a grinder” range more than just “quiet”.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I think I've settled on an espresso grinder to go with the Breville Bambino and was telling my friend about my potentially new setup. He offered me a Barista Pro that's basically brand new for $600. I'm debating between getting the individual grinder and brewer set-up vs an all-in-one. I'm mostly leaning towards the Barista Pro, because of the good price and I'm potentially worried that I might end up not being 'into' making espresso. I assume this unit is acceptable in terms of making a decent shot?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Get the pro. It's basically the same as the Bambino, except it lets you control temperature and the grinder will do fine for the espresso you'll make. The only downside is that the thing can't get hot enough to extract a light roast properly, but that's also the case with the Bambino, so no loss there. As long as you're happy to stick to dark and medium roasts, you'll be fine with the pro.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

hypnophant posted:

As bandire points out, it’s a pressurized basket machine so any old grinder (or even pre-ground) will work. Refurb baratza encore is close to your price range and will work great for both drip and pressurized-basket espresso, so if you can save up for a bit that’s the one to go for.

Ended up just buying an encore new from crate and barrel cause they had it. Thanks for the suggestion!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

obi_ant posted:

I think I've settled on an espresso grinder to go with the Breville Bambino and was telling my friend about my potentially new setup. He offered me a Barista Pro that's basically brand new for $600. I'm debating between getting the individual grinder and brewer set-up vs an all-in-one. I'm mostly leaning towards the Barista Pro, because of the good price and I'm potentially worried that I might end up not being 'into' making espresso. I assume this unit is acceptable in terms of making a decent shot?

It is most certainly acceptable. Enjoy it!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks for the replies guys. I will be picking up the unit in 1-2 weeks from him.

Anyone have some opinions on the Crema Breville products? It seems that a lot of YouTubers that I've been watching use the tamping tool. They also seem like the only company to make things specifically for the Breville in terms of aftermarket parts?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

obi_ant posted:

Thanks for the replies guys. I will be picking up the unit in 1-2 weeks from him.

Anyone have some opinions on the Crema Breville products? It seems that a lot of YouTubers that I've been watching use the tamping tool. They also seem like the only company to make things specifically for the Breville in terms of aftermarket parts?

They certainly aren't the only company making 54mm baskets and parts, but at a glance everything looks ok and the prices are fine. I would avoid that style of tamper/distributor, as the spinny distributor is worse than useless. Normcore makes a nice spring-loaded tamper and they have a size that fits the breville basket. Other good upgrades are a bottomless portafilter (crema has a wood-handled one, normcore has one slightly cheaper with aluminum handle) and a premium basket. The basket is unfortunately a bit tricky as VST doesn't offer a 54mm basket and while IMS does, it requires a bit of modification to fit the breville. The crema one would be a good option if it's good quality, but I can't tell that without seeing it in person.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

hypnophant posted:

They certainly aren't the only company making 54mm baskets and parts, but at a glance everything looks ok and the prices are fine. I would avoid that style of tamper/distributor, as the spinny distributor is worse than useless. Normcore makes a nice spring-loaded tamper and they have a size that fits the breville basket. Other good upgrades are a bottomless portafilter (crema has a wood-handled one, normcore has one slightly cheaper with aluminum handle) and a premium basket. The basket is unfortunately a bit tricky as VST doesn't offer a 54mm basket and while IMS does, it requires a bit of modification to fit the breville. The crema one would be a good option if it's good quality, but I can't tell that without seeing it in person.

I literally just got a used Normcore tamper from my coworker yesterday (he bought the wrong size). The clearance is a little tight, at least with the official Breville unpressurized basket, and I kinda don't like that the additional pieces of the tamper means more effort to give it a good clean, but otherwise it seems to be working pretty decently for my Bambino Plus

Edit: Just checked all four of my baskets again (single and double, pressurized and unpressurized), and the clearance is fine, with just a tiny bit of play, even. But it's tight when there are grounds getting into the space between the basket wall and tamper

404notfound fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 12, 2021

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
That’s how it’s supposed to fit, otherwise you get an untamped ring around the edge which contributes to channeling. It’s really a very good tamper for the price.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I read an article about new tiny coffee carts in NYC. They use these auto espresso machines from Eversys and apparentlly the quality comes pretty close to the best specialty coffee shops. You just press button and it even does passable milk foam. The big thing though is that they can sell a latte for cheaper than Starbucks since you don't need to train someone for 20 hours and go through 15 gallons of milk. Kind of scary for the baristas out there if these keep getting better. Coffee costs way too much now and I can't see myself sitting down in a cafe for the foreseeable future. More coffee carts please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm6Up22cDa0

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

I read an article about new tiny coffee carts in NYC. They use these auto espresso machines from Eversys and apparentlly the quality comes pretty close to the best specialty coffee shops. You just press button and it even does passable milk foam. The big thing though is that they can sell a latte for cheaper than Starbucks since you don't need to train someone for 20 hours and go through 15 gallons of milk. Kind of scary for the baristas out there if these keep getting better. Coffee costs way too much now and I can't see myself sitting down in a cafe for the foreseeable future. More coffee carts please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm6Up22cDa0

This article? https://www.grubstreet.com/2021/08/blank-street-nyc-coffee-cart-startup.html

It's just startup hype. I've never worked in a cafe but I've taught a few people to pull shots and steam milk and that doesn't take 20 hours or 15 gallons of milk, and modern commercial machines are all doing volumetric/gravimetric shots and ghost steam anyway so the only thing this machine is adding is grind & tamp. It's not nothing but it's not revolutionary, and it doesn't automate the most difficult part of making espresso which is dialing in. The real innovation, as the article points out, is the real estate strategy; new york real estate is expensive and cutting costs any way you can is going to help.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

also i think literally every step of espresso at starbucks is automated, except steaming milk? and maybe that's automated too by now, for all i know

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah, I used to work for a company that distribute Eversys machines as part of our wholesale business, since they're ideal for offices - we would set them up and calibrate them, and they just kind of worked for everyone to make a good coffee with.

I've been working in cafes for years, and I'm becoming more and more of an advocate for things like volumetrics, gravometrics, and puqpress, since it helps make each coffee that much simpler and more consistent, and makes it so I can focus on talking with my regulars and making the job fun. I'd honestly be pretty happy working in a good neighbourhood shop that used something like this, so I could focus on just putting out super high quality interesting coffee.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

eke out posted:

also i think literally every step of espresso at starbucks is automated, except steaming milk? and maybe that's automated too by now, for all i know

Yeah but Starbucks tastes terrible while the specialty coffee people interviewed in the piece seem to be all for these newer automated machines. I just wasn't aware that things had advanced that far so that they made better coffee than most stores. I just want more affordable places outdoors to buy quality espressos and these things don't require much training.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah but Starbucks tastes terrible while the specialty coffee people interviewed in the piece seem to be all for these newer automated machines. I just wasn't aware that things had advanced that far so that they made better coffee than most stores. I just want more affordable places outdoors to buy quality espressos and these things don't require much training.

Starbucks is terrible because they use mediocre beans roasted to a light char so they can extract something strong enough to flavor a milkshake as cheaply as possible. The machine is not the relevant factor here.

Also: I got a single origin espresso at a blue bottle in midtown for like $3 not too long ago and drank it in bryant park. Affordability and location are tied to real estate, not the technology. It's a good business model and I like a good coffee cart, but that's nothing to do with the machine. Also also: someone is still going to have to dial in the superauto every time the beans change and that's the part of the process that really requires training. The mechanical part of making espresso can be taught in an hour. Here's Scott Baca, a pretty good barista, talking about Matt Perger, also a good barista, talking about the machine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaTDOZT8LdM He kind of predicts the model of not trying to charge what a specialty shop charges for something not hand-crafted though.