Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It makes me wonder how much they’re cheaping out on license duration when sim racing devs with a fraction of the budget can get car and track licenses that basically last forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Nuts and Gum posted:

I remember the lootbox bullshit being a big deal, but otherwise I didn't realize it was so widely hated. I thought forza 5 held that crown lol

it was insanely, absurdly buggy at launch for and for a good few months afterwards. it crashed all the goddamn time on both pc and console and the multiplayer bugs were atrocious; disconnects were so common that there'd almost always be one per race, and a lot of the time, when a lobby would start loading the race, at least one, and sometimes several, players would end up not loading into the race and instead be stuck still in the lobby.

they also badly nerfed how vip worked, without even a single peep about it before the game came out, leaving a very large contingent of the most diehard forza players absolutely furious. vip had worked the same in every forza game since at least 3, nerfing it with no warning was extraordinarily lovely, especially when combined with the also nerfed income from races.

and of course, as you alluded to, gating off 130 (iirc) cars with no way to get them, when combined with the obvious plan of throwing them into real-money lootboxes, was turbofucked.

worst of all, after they 'fixed' forza 7, it still ended up just being forza 6 except with unlockable clothes and a far uglier front-end and lovely soundtrack. all the annoyances that have existed since forza 5 - the busted voice chat, the absolutely awful system that they brought in to replace the storefront, the bad ui, the continued existence of yas fuckin marina - are still there in forza 7, seemingly all their effort went into the awful lootbox horseshit and the clothing. it brought nothing new to the racing itself and the new things it did bring were either really lovely or made no appreciable difference to the game.

gently caress forza motorsport 7.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

worst of all, after they 'fixed' forza 7, it still ended up just being forza 6 except with unlockable clothes and a far uglier front-end and lovely soundtrack.

and no narration in forzavista :(

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Stipulated.

Also there are a ton of awesome cars in the game, and the tracks really do look fantastic. Maple Valley is dope. The ghosting griefers system helps. The AI is terrible and I hate it. I did have the most fun doing the ghost only lobbies when they fit into a cool class (for me, anything up to A class and occasionally one step above). Too old for those crazy fast hypercars and F1 stuff, but it's awesome they are in there and they would be super fun on the right tracks and with the right people.

The career mode was unbearable.

FH4 took up way more of my driving time.

I just dropped a shitload of money on music gear. I won't be able to buy an XBox Series X for awhile. I really don't even understand where my Xbox X fits in now. But I'll get one eventually if for nothing other than Forza titles and sports games. I'm dying for a new EA PGA Tour game, and I hear one is in the works or will be soon.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'm dying for a new EA PGA Tour game, and I hear one is in the works or will be soon.

Don't know if you looked into it but Pga Tour 2k21 is pretty good. One of the better golf games I've played since the Tiger games however many years ago those were.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ixnay posted:

Yeah all the forza games since Motorsport 3 have been delisted on a 4 year schedule, although they’re much better at announcing this in advance than they used to be.

They also confirmed in a Twitter reply that it’s the car & track licenses expiring causing this.

https://twitter.com/forzamotorsport/status/1420792916742590464?s=21

I really wish this wasn't the case, it massively sucks that it is the case. Would love to have all of the Forza Motorsport games available and playable on Xbox One.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

just grabbed motorsport 7 for shits and giggles annnnnnnnnnnd it's not installing.

the last time I had this issue with a forza product...

hexwren posted:

Just got Horizon 4 a week ago (after a terrible saga of loving with my PC, putting in a new graphics card and having to reinstall windows to unfuck the microsoft store and THEN try and recover my settings and reinstall like 100 pieces of software because when it says "windows will uninstall your apps but keep your files" what it means is "windows is going to delete everything in \Program Files\ and \Program Files (x86)\ and hide all the folders in your profile that have anything to do with them"), ....

see also january 2020, where an update wouldn't install, and uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work so I didn't get to play FH4 again until june 2020 when I built a new computer and installed windows fresh on it

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dr. Faustus posted:

Stipulated.

Also there are a ton of awesome cars in the game, and the tracks really do look fantastic. Maple Valley is dope. The ghosting griefers system helps. The AI is terrible and I hate it. I did have the most fun doing the ghost only lobbies when they fit into a cool class (for me, anything up to A class and occasionally one step above). Too old for those crazy fast hypercars and F1 stuff, but it's awesome they are in there and they would be super fun on the right tracks and with the right people.

The career mode was unbearable.

FH4 took up way more of my driving time.

I just dropped a shitload of money on music gear. I won't be able to buy an XBox Series X for awhile. I really don't even understand where my Xbox X fits in now. But I'll get one eventually if for nothing other than Forza titles and sports games. I'm dying for a new EA PGA Tour game, and I hear one is in the works or will be soon.

You have a good gaming PC, there’s almost no reason to get a series X.

I’ve been planning a cross country move all year for august and had to pack up all of my sim racing equipment for shipping so I got back into playing driving games without VR and with a controller and started playing Forza Horizon 3 again and holy crap I forgot how much fun these games were. Horizon 4 ultimate is on sale for $45 right now so I picked that up too and I’m having a blast, and I reinstalled FM7 too. It’s making me want to have an old gtcc/grc reunion racing night.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Forza 7 is good now. Multiplayer hoppers is where its at.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I still have fun with Forza 7. It's not the Motorsport title I wish it was, but it's a chill racing game with tons of customization, and too many cars.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i randomly got recommended a song from the forza 4 soundtrack and listened to it, and then fell into a rabbit hole of listening to the whole soundtrack. i haven't even touched forza 4 since right before 6 came out, but i remembered every single song like i'd just heard them yesterday.

man that game ruled. the soundtrack, the tracks, the car sounds, the ui. i doubt any game in the lite-sim, car-collecting, whatever-the-gently caress subgenre forza and gran turismo belong to will ever touch how excellent forza 4 was.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I think it’s time for a GTCC reunion race. Who’s down? I’m trying to contact tophat but I can’t remember his GT if someone wants to PM it to me that would be fantastic

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
I like the sound of that, just started playing again and would love to get into some goon nostalgia

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the full map for forza horizon 5 will be revealed on the official forza twitch channel on monday

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the full map for forza horizon 5 will be revealed on the official forza twitch channel on monday
I'm off on Mondays! Awesome! Thanks for the heads up.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

That is exciting! Making me realize that we are into August and so Horizon 5 is really not that far away.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I said come in! posted:

That is exciting! Making me realize that we are into August and so Horizon 5 is really not that far away.

yeah i'm pretty stoked that it's only 3 months away. just really hope i can get a series x before then.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

yeah i'm pretty stoked that it's only 3 months away. just really hope i can get a series x before then.

Same but a 3080 instead.

No disrespect to the SeX, it is a great console, but it is obvious visual quality will have to be sacrificed in order to hit 4k60.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i think there is less than zero chance a 3080 is available for anything but fuckoff scalper prices this year. or next year, for that matter.

i'll prolly end up playing kerbal space program 2 on series x as a result, provided that version has full keyboard + mouse functionality on console (it fuckin better, good lord playing ksp1 with a controller on xbox one is miserable). as for anything that doesn't essentially require kb+m to be playable, it's not even worth considering upgrading your pc to play it right now imo if you can get it on console.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

The more this shortage goes on, the happier I am I upgraded to a 2070 SUPER when I did :v:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

T1g4h posted:

The more this shortage goes on, the happier I am I upgraded to a 2070 SUPER when I did :v:

Same, rocking an RTX2060 over here. I hope it and a Ryzen 7 3700ZX are good enough for Horizon 5

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have a 2070, so i'll play Horizon 5 on both Series X and PC.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

T1g4h posted:

Same but with a 2080 Ti. I was kicking myself when the 30XX specs were released, and I'd still prefer a 3080/3090 if I could get one at MSRP, but what I do have is holding up quite well

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I dutifully enter the Newegg shuffle every day.

I goofed up once so far and checked my email 5 minutes after my 3080ti buy window expired.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

they showed off the desert today, it looks fantastic and makes me want to drink and do online road trips around it

also the map is FUCKIN HUGE holy balls

e: https://mobile.twitter.com/ForzaHorizon/status/1424784335845068802

:supaburn:

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 9, 2021

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Some UI from todays stream:

upgrades menu:

car select:

loading into a race:

pre-race menu:

dev console:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

toplitzin posted:

I dutifully enter the Newegg shuffle every day.

I goofed up once so far and checked my email 5 minutes after my 3080ti buy window expired.

What exactly do you do to enter this shuffle? I've been kind of lazily trying to to luck into something but it's just not working, do you have to sign up again every day or just check it often?

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

they showed off the desert today, it looks fantastic and makes me want to drink and do online road trips around it

yeah that looks awesome

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

goddamn a map even more varied than horizon 3's with the seasons of horizon 4 except localized to each biome and also it's goddamn gigantic has me so fuckin pumped that i barely even care about the rest of what the game has to offer.

glad we only have like 3 months left to wait, this poo poo is gonna kick rear end. hope we can get some goon caravans going the first couple weeks.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

wanna hillclimb the poo poo outta that volcano

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

One of my favourite things to do in any new Forza game is to take a tail-happy group B style car down every road in the game whilst checking out the new soundtrack. This map is going to take days and I cannot wait.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I wonder what those 2 big green circles are on the left side? They're about the same size as the stadium

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Zip! posted:

One of my favourite things to do in any new Forza game is to take a tail-happy group B style car down every road in the game whilst checking out the new soundtrack. This map is going to take days and I cannot wait.

yes. horizon pulse is my go-to station for this.

gonna do it in an sw20 for fh5 now that it'll presumably just be in the game as a normal car since toyota took the stick out of their rear end

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

super fart shooter posted:

I wonder what those 2 big green circles are on the left side? They're about the same size as the stadium

i assumed they were crop fields

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

yes. horizon pulse is my go-to station for this.

gonna do it in an sw20 for fh5 now that it'll presumably just be in the game as a normal car since toyota took the stick out of their rear end

:same:

I only wish they would add more songs to the playlists over time!

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Keep forgetting that we will be able to drive on the correct side of the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ22d3NGkVQ

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.
For reason I thought that they weren't doing seasons this time but I'm sort of glad it seems to be still in (the map has "Summer/Wet Season").

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Play posted:

What exactly do you do to enter this shuffle? I've been kind of lazily trying to to luck into something but it's just not working, do you have to sign up again every day or just check it often?

https://www.newegg.com/product-shuffle
A daily entry rotating cast of low availability electronic goods
PS5/OneX/Nvidia/ATI cards

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Nutsak posted:

For reason I thought that they weren't doing seasons this time but I'm sort of glad it seems to be still in (the map has "Summer/Wet Season").

not only are they doing seasons, but the seasons affect different biomes differently, so it's even better than seasons in fh4, which was already a fantastic aspect of that game

there's nothing about fh5 they have revealed that looks or sounds anything less than awesome

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I hope for the following:

-UI/UX improvements from FH4. I don't like the stickiness and pervasiveness of map icons, how map filters are lost in between sessions, and how I need to confirm that, yes, I really want that car delivered. I selected the car, I selected "deliver car"; a confirmation after that is bloat.

-Chiller NPCs. The vibe I get from most of FH4's voiceovers is "twee." Except for the stunt director. Nicholas Boulton owns.

-Fewer (ideally none) inexplicable stops/lift-offs/etc. in Cross Country races. I get they'll be a bit wilder than road/dirt/etc. races, I'm cool with that, but I've gone from 100-0 when driving onto a ramp because of poorly merged hitboxes.

-A preview of eligible cars for online/co-op/etc. races before I join the queue and the race is locked in. FH4 has excellent external resources, but they shouldn't be near-mandatory. Phrased another way, blind choices that can effectively disqualify the player before the race/event/gameplay bit starts are bad experiences.

I like a ton about FH4. I enjoy the weekly seasonal events, the variety of cars, the ease of access w/r/t paint jobs and tuning set ups, the controls and options, et al. I hope they've had enough time/scope to smooth the rough edges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

I would prefer better racing AI that actually sets up (and goes for) overtakes and also tries to defend track position.

It feels on FH4 at least that the other cars are essentially mobile chicanes and changing the AI difficulty doesn't make them better drivers, it just fucks with the rubber banding and boosts their performance.

I've been spending some time playing the F1 2021 and whilst it is in no way a perfect game, it shocked me just how much better the actual racing was.