Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I’m glad that people are melting the planet solely to prevent other people from getting new video cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
this planet needs a reboot, can't wait for them to shut it down

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ZearothK posted:

i hope cowcaster is good because then i can say "coolcaster"
Scowlcaster is disappointed.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Gutcruncher posted:

I’m glad that people are melting the planet solely to prevent other people from getting new video cards

sic semper gamers

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Gutcruncher posted:

Stop leaking the plot for the new Battlefield

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

the music in Axiom Verge 2 is really good

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hub Cat posted:

Stop leaking the plot for the new Battlefield

Not gonna lie, with the Battlefield Portal trailer and even the purely tangential story trailer I am kinda excited for it now

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

victrix posted:

the music in Axiom Verge 2 is really good

so how's this idea from that tweet of it being a "2d BoTW" panning out?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Not gonna lie, with the Battlefield Portal trailer and even the purely tangential story trailer I am kinda excited for it now

No way, I'm not going to get fooled again after V :negative:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I'm not sure about that, but due to the nature of the uh... tools you acquire early, it opens up some interesting exploration options. I've been enjoying it quite a bit so far, I'm expecting it to remain at least this good throughout, based on various comments I saw online - I didn't want to get spoiled so I cut off any active exploration of discussions until I finish it.

It also controls well, looks great, and the super-super-8-bit-demake looking area is really :kimchi:

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The 7th Guest posted:

i'm a fan of garden story
Thanks for the review.
Sounds good but maybe better suited for the Switch and probably wait for a sale. Too many games coming out.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 13, 2021

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Det_no posted:

Hell Let Loose runs like poo poo on anything. Look at these miserable souls asking how to run that cursed game on their space-age computers:

It works... fine for me? And I'm not exactly on a space age supercomputer. The release update did wonders for optimization

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Fuligin posted:

It works... fine for me? And I'm not exactly on a space age supercomputer. The release update did wonders for optimization

Define "fine".

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Fuligin posted:

I find it depending on the map. Carentan, Stalingrad, and such city map is just going to be 20, 25fps all the way. Something like St-mare du mont or Hurtgen Forest I'll have maybe 40-60fps on my 1060.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

victrix posted:

I'm not sure about that, but due to the nature of the uh... tools you acquire early, it opens up some interesting exploration options. I've been enjoying it quite a bit so far, I'm expecting it to remain at least this good throughout, based on various comments I saw online - I didn't want to get spoiled so I cut off any active exploration of discussions until I finish it.

It also controls well, looks great, and the super-super-8-bit-demake looking area is really :kimchi:

just got there and :kimchi: is remarkably accurate

digging the few tools I have so far; not digging a lack of any fast travel yet, but we'll see. i remember AV1 annoying me in that regard too

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
You get fast travel later, thankfully

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
I'm ~5 hours into Axiom Verge 2 and it's excellent. Quite a different game to the first, it's certainly more open - not to Hollow Knight/La-Mulana levels, but still on the more open end of things as far as Metroidvanias go. The parallel world mechanic is also really well done, and the abilities you gain are pretty interesting & fun too.

The opening is a little rough though - you're very underpowered to begin with & your early combat options are particularly clunky, so you're encouraged to hide & run from enemies, with there being some rudimentary stealth mechanics. It doesn't take too long before this significantly improves as you get more upgrades, but I wish the stealth mechanics were maybe a little more fleshed out there to compensate. The early game combat options being less clunky would also help - a lot of the early enemies are short, meaning you initially have to crouch to hit them with any of your attacks, and letting you hit directly in front of you on the ground while standing from the very start would have felt so much better.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Where are my steam screenshots? In steam, I see a folder with just the few I've uploaded to share. Google tells me to go to program files > steam > userdata > a subfolder I don't have

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

In the steam library, right click one of your screenshots then choose "Manage Screenshots"

Then in the window that pops up click Show on Disk

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Hm, I don't see what you're looking at in my steam. Under the game in the library it says no screenshots. When I press the select button on my controller it makes a noise and says screenshot saved, and shows it picture-in-picture, but when I click on that it doesn't go anywhere. There are no screenshots in windows' screenshot folder so they're not going there. Screenshotting with the controller has worked in the past

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Are you still in the game? The screenshots don't show in the post-game summary until after the game closes, but I'm not used to using a controller or big picture mode so I don't know how those would change it

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Speaking of screenshots, I have a question about some odd behavior with my Steam screenshots. I have Steam set to both save a lossless screenshot and to save it to a specific directory when I take one, but that only seems to work for some of my games, and sometimes it even seems erratic on those. In others it saves a jpeg to a per-game screenshot folder in the steamapps directory, instead of a png to the shared screenshot directory I direct it to. This doesn't seem to be specific games ignoring the option I set, because it happens with different games on my desktop than on my laptop.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Right, I tried to reinstall it, but art of rally (sic) is genuinely just not even a game on gamepass. It's got good reviews on steam, but a user rating of 30% (F76 has 50%) on GP.

We've got:
  • First-launch prompts every launch.
  • Unable to actually start a race.
  • Several menu options and preferences can't be toggled or changed.
  • UNABLE TO ACTUALLY START A RACE TO PLAY THE GAME.
  • Sometimes when you change into a menu, the screen is just blank.
  • CTDs from clicking stuff in the main menu.
  • YOU CAN'T PLAY THE GAME.

The only way this makes any sense to me is if they accidentally released an alpha to GP. This is part frustrating, part funny and part kinda sad, because I do think they devs were going for a very particular chill vibe and this is just anti-chill.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Gamepass has some weird quirks. With Prodeus the controller works fine in the menu but not in the game itself, so you can't use a controller at all. They still haven't fixed it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Black Griffon posted:

Right, I tried to reinstall it, but art of rally (sic) is genuinely just not even a game on gamepass. It's got good reviews on steam, but a user rating of 30% (F76 has 50%) on GP.

We've got:

The only way this makes any sense to me is if they accidentally released an alpha to GP. This is part frustrating, part funny and part kinda sad, because I do think they devs were going for a very particular chill vibe and this is just anti-chill.

I didn't have a problem launching it, but it also wasn't very interesting so I uninstalled it pretty quickly

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

how the gently caress do I deal with this Siege Mech in The Ascent??

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Weapon damage type makes a big difference. That updated bitwhatever shotgun does good work. Also, there is a power that converts the damage type to all digital which is very powerful.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I literally can't outrun /survive the initial salvo it throws at me though lol. Pumping Evasion instead of Health was a mistake.

And this is my problem with video games as I get older - I don't want to spend 15 minutes hoofing it back to town to buy a different Tactical Item, then another 20 running back to this boss. And I've dumped all of my Weapon Upgrade Points upping my SMG. :sigh:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I literally can't outrun /survive the initial salvo it throws at me though lol. Pumping Evasion instead of Health was a mistake.

And this is my problem with video games as I get older - I don't want to spend 15 minutes hoofing it back to town to buy a different Tactical Item, then another 20 running back to this boss. And I've dumped all of my Weapon Upgrade Points upping my SMG. :sigh:

you can respec stats if needed

and just take the taxi, I can't think of anywhere that's more than a few minutes from a taxi or metro stop

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That's awkward, definitely forgot the Taxi is the thing. The nearest train station is quite a distance away. I suppose I'm exaggerating 15 minutes, but with combat in between it just feels really far. Just frustrated after getting obliterated by this guy 4 times and being sent back 3 encounters away.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Black Griffon posted:

We've got:

Gamepass is definitely super buggy at times. Generally if I reset my computer multiple times, do whatever updates are possible to the applications and OS, eventually it starts working properly. Super frustrating though.

Art of Rally is one game I haven't had any issues with so far surprisingly enough.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I was never so quickly let down by a game the first time I played it as I was with art of rally. I just hated how it controlled and felt to play and alt+f4'd and uninstalled it immediately lol. The game looks great and I like the idea of it but I don't think the top down stuff makes it super fun to play. Glad I never ended up buying it so I could try it on Gamepass.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Well, seems I wasn't really missing much either way. Super weird that its that buggy for me and works for other people. I don't get that at all.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ciaphas posted:

I can understand why someone said that I guess. It's a fun game and the exploration is one of the best parts.

Sab669 posted:

how the gently caress do I deal with this Siege Mech in The Ascent??

You might find the EXB Commander or whatever at a shop, it's a guided shot burst rifle. There's one with a similar name that is physical damage, but get the one that is energy damage and upgrade it it's pretty good against metal enemies. Also focus on your augments, spider bots are great for getting a momentary break. I also like the augment that gives you health for doing damage against enemies that were marked by the augment.

Sab669 posted:

Yeah in that case definitely just respec. I have most of my points into health and the weapon handling and crit categories. The other Frame skill that keeps you from being knocked down or whatever is absolutely poo poo as well, ignore it.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Sab669 posted:

My strategy: Hug the pillars on the side, his salvo whiffs on them, anytime he does something you have some free time to wail on him

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Sailor Dave posted:

Battlefield V is actually """free""" on Amazon Prime Gaming right now, I think someone mentioned they just did the Amazon Prime trial and claimed the key, it doesn't go away when the trial ends. It's probably still a lot cheaper even without the trial with the cost of Prime, though.
I did that.

Right after going through the Battlefield 1 single player, Battlefield 5 felt... pretty bad. Didn't really give it much time, but the storyline, "gunfeel" and mechanics all combined to be annoying.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ciaphas posted:

Very hyperbolic but I can kind of see what they were getting at. It feels a little less linear than similar metroidvania games, and opposed to it being like "This ability is the key, and this obstacle is the door" there are combinations of abilities that can be used in different ways to bypass stuff. Plays up the "sequence breaking" aspect of these sort of games

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

OK yea after respeccing into Health, I found an EMP Grenade, and bought and upgraded an Electric Pistol I was able to face tank him easily while bursting him down very fast.

Then I unlocked that mod that converts all damage to Electric 🙃

Too bad I can't afford to spec back to how I wanted to play. Oh well. Due to a complete lack of a Skill Tree or anything like that I don't actually feel like my stats matter in a "thematic sense". HP or Evasion, I still run and gun at the same exact rate.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Evasion gets a little better once you get the upgraded dash roll module so it turns into a standing up quickdash, that thing owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Play posted:

I can understand why someone said that I guess. It's a fun game and the exploration is one of the best parts.

I was thinking that it's turning out to be a pretty superficial comparison, yeah :v:

Definitely fun though! Dig the music, the art, the writing (typos aside), though the combat's still kinda difficult (especially right now - I just got fast travel, so uh, spoilers - but anyway)