Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Prequel Dexter is just Six Feet Under anyway. His gig as a gay mortuary ran its course and he had to get a new identity as Miami PD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i just remembered the perfectly standardized blue background with white text messages that take up the entire screen on everyone's phones/computers

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

God Hole posted:

i just remembered the perfectly standardized blue background with white text messages that take up the entire screen on everyone's phones/computers

CALLING RITA

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Poque posted:

CALLING RITA

"DEB CALLING"

Dexter (inner monologue): "That's Deb, my sister. She's calling me now. But I'm covered in blood because I murdered someone. That's what I do; I'm a serial killer. And my sister, who is Deb on the phone, doesn't know. But she's calling me right now. My life is complicated."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"DEB CALLING"

Dexter (inner monologue): "That's Deb, my sister. She's calling me now. But I'm covered in blood because I murdered someone. That's what I do; I'm a serial killer. And my sister, who is Deb on the phone, doesn't know. But she's calling me right now. My life is complicated."

"Sister, hi! No, no, there's no problem calling now. I'm just..." *Dexter stares for a moment* "...covered in work."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

"Sister, hi! No, no, there's no problem calling now. I'm just..." *Dexter stares for a moment* "...covered in work."

Executive Producer
SCOTT BUCK
MICHAEL C HALL

*cue waning violins*

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Dexter (inner monologue): But, it’s really blood I’m covered in.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

Dexter (inner monologue): But, it’s really blood I’m covered in.

:discourse:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Dexter is just a visual podcast

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Tofu Injection posted:

The thing about Dexter is it was always awful and about as subtle as a hammer. In the first like 10 minutes of the first episode he looks at a donut box and the voice over goes "empty inside. Just like me". The show never had any respect for the intelligence of its audience from day one.
That was a funny piece of dialogue in the dark comedy tv show Dexter

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Dexter explaining that Rita died post Disney trip was absolute quality

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That was a funny piece of dialogue in the dark comedy tv show Dexter

.??? Funny? Stating what’s happening isn’t very funny to me but man you must have loved dexter

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure the show peaks in the Season 1 finale. Probably at Suprise Motherfucker. They hadn't played nearly all that much with Dexter getting caught in the first season, mainly just the human traffickers where he gets spotted by a kid and the tranq drug gets flagged. But then all of a sudden Doakes has him in a very compromising situation and he has no excuses at the ready. And it really is a great surprise.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Pretty sure the show peaks in the Season 1 finale. Probably at Suprise Motherfucker. They hadn't played nearly all that much with Dexter getting caught in the first season, mainly just the human traffickers where he gets spotted by a kid and the tranq drug gets flagged. But then all of a sudden Doakes has him in a very compromising situation and he has no excuses at the ready. And it really is a great surprise.

In my directors cut the show would have a Sopranos end right there.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I regret to report on binge rewatch that Masuka is far and away the best investigator in Miami Homicide

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I forgot Deb dates this old man and also the old man has a long gratuitous rear end shot

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I forgot Deb dates this old man and also the old man has a long gratuitous rear end shot

I remembered the former but mercifully forgot the latter

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

George H.W. oval office posted:

Dexter explaining that Rita died post Disney trip was absolute quality

Oh god, he was still wearing the loving Mickey Mouse hat, wasn't he?

EDIT:

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

this revival better be a disaster

nerox
May 20, 2001

roomtone posted:

this revival better be a disaster

But what if it comes back and its like the best written show ever in the history of television. Everyone who watches it talks about how it is the absolute best show to ever been on television, except the people who watched all the original Dexter. They are all angry because it has shattered their worldview. Everywhere they go people try to chat them up about the latest episode of Dexter and they just want to let our their frustration that the show is not supposed to be good. Eventually the original Dexter watchers start to crack and start having homicidal thoughts. Collectively, they decide they need to move away from society and decide a forest in the Pacific Northwest would give them the seclusion to not have these thoughts about Dexter, their dark passenger if you will. So all the original Dexter watchers, grow beards, and put on lumberjack clothes and start cutting down trees to build their new homes.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

"Hello, whore." - Tom Hanks's kid (???)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

nerox posted:

But what if it comes back and its like the best written show ever in the history of television. Everyone who watches it talks about how it is the absolute best show to ever been on television, except the people who watched all the original Dexter. They are all angry because it has shattered their worldview. Everywhere they go people try to chat them up about the latest episode of Dexter and they just want to let our their frustration that the show is not supposed to be good. Eventually the original Dexter watchers start to crack and start having homicidal thoughts. Collectively, they decide they need to move away from society and decide a forest in the Pacific Northwest would give them the seclusion to not have these thoughts about Dexter, their dark passenger if you will. So all the original Dexter watchers, grow beards, and put on lumberjack clothes and start cutting down trees to build their new homes.

This is the best case scenario. The ultimate joke.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

This is the best case scenario. The ultimate joke.

*Tuned in to Showtime or FX or whatever the gently caress, Sunday at like 9pm*

Random viewers: "Tonight's the night."

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

*Tuned in to Showtime or FX or whatever the gently caress, Sunday at like 9pm*

Random viewers: "Tonight's the night."

People at their desks on a Thursday: (thinking) I’m excited for a new episode of Dexter on Sunday

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

PostNouveau posted:

Motherfucker, that's Keith Carradine one of the coolest hombres to ever work in Hollywood.

He's incredible as Wild Bill Hickok on Deadwood.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Another Bill posted:

Motherfucker, that's Keith Carradine one of the coolest hombres to ever work in Hollywood.

He's incredible as Wild Bill Hickok on Deadwood.

This post is nothing but truth.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Glambags posted:

"Hello, whore." - Tom Hanks's kid (???)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh boy, Season 3. Quinn has arrived. We've replaced Doakes with a loaf of white bread. :effort:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

PostNouveau posted:

Oh boy, Season 3. Quinn has arrived. We've replaced Doakes with a loaf of white bread brick of cocaine. :effort:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

esperterra posted:

PostNouveau posted:

Oh boy, Season 3. Quinn has arrived. We've replaced Doakes with a loaf of white bread brick of cocaine french toast sprinkled with cocaine. :effort:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

nerox posted:

Yes, I too remember the Heroes reboot.

No, not that one. The other one.

"Wow, they've had all this time to make plans and so much movie and TV superpower stuff has happened since then. This should be amazing!"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
No real ghost dad by Season 3, which surprises me. I remember ghost dad being omnipresent, like the premise of the show was "A serial killer who only kills serial killers and is guided by his ghost dad".

Harry is starting to show up in Dexter's fantasies though. The cracks of the show are forming.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

No real ghost dad by Season 3, which surprises me. I remember ghost dad being omnipresent, like the premise of the show was "A serial killer who only kills serial killers and is guided by his ghost dad".

Harry is starting to show up in Dexter's fantasies though. The cracks of the show are forming.

Yep, I was surprised by that while rewatching too. It’s all actual flashbacks for the first few seasons, but I guess they gave up on coming up with backstory that was relevant to every episode’s plot after a few years.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I remember watching this series over a decade ago but I couldn't tell you much about what I actually saw. I remember John Lithgow because who wouldn't remember that legend. And I remember that the ending was lame as gently caress

I saw the trailer for the new season the other day. Seems dumb but I am definitely going to see the first episode

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I can see why people were down on Season 3. Jimmy Smits is a fine addition to the cast, but absolutely nothing has happened halfway through it. Like 5 loving episodes of "Man, we should really find Freebo, huh?" The Dexter side of the show is fine but Miami Metro Homicide has been spinning its wheels in half the scenes for a long time now.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I've only just completed my rewatch and I have already forgotten what happened in season 3.

Except for CHICKEY HINES

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I did genuinely like the bit where Dexter was trying to talk down Jimmy Smits' brother, and the brother actually had a breakthrough upon realizing how full of poo poo Dexter and Miguel were.

It's the one time Dexter genuinely helps another human being, other than when he mercy kills beloved character actress Margo Martindale in whatever season that was.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Khablam posted:

Except for CHICKEY HINES

Lisa needs braces.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's the one time Dexter genuinely helps another human being, other than when he mercy kills beloved character actress Margo Martindale in whatever season that was.

Now I'm craving key lime pie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
A runner in Season 3 is Deb is loving awful at interrogations. Like no skill whatsoever, doesn't try to get them on her side just starts screaming and threatening.

This culminates in maybe the funniest moment of the season (I don't think this is intentionally a joke) where they have the Skinner in custody, Dexter is watching the interrogations, and she goes to him to get him to do his "psycho whisperer" bit.

Dexter: You know, he seems very polite and respectful. I think respect is a big thing for him. Maybe you should try being deferrential to him.
Deb: Oh yeah, deferential, that makes sense. Thanks!

Deb then immediately throws the guy out of his chair and starts throttling him while demanding to know where he's keeping his victim.