Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

bakshi speaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Boxman posted:

This is the part where I'm obligated to re-up my recommendation for Redline, which is sort of like if someone did a lot of cocaine, watched Speed Racer, then decided to remake it with incredibly lush animation, an absolutely bangin' soundtrack, and somehow less of a plot or characters.

The pompadour is the best character

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vandar posted:

It’s such a brilliant twist.

I need to watch the movie again, it’s been a while.

This is me literally every time the movie is mentioned

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Redline rocks, I got the bluray

What’s the dub like? I only saw the sub so far

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Whenever I want to recommend Redline I want to link to the first race that sets the stage for how great it is, but the only version on youtube is the dub. At first I hated it, becasue I have a visceral reaction to dubs, but I have to admit it's not terrible. Someone who hasn't seen the subbed version probably wouldn't mind it. I just... really really prefer the Japanese voices. Especially for the more comedic characters like Machine Head, those girls in the robot, the weird twins, they all work so much better in Japanese.

Fuckin amazing soundtrack, the Yellowline song is just the best.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I watched Strange Magic the other night. Has anyone else seen Strange Magic? I fully recommend it, it's a truly fascinating experience

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The first episode of the new Marvel What If? series didn't really do anything for me. The animation was fine, serviceable, the only part I really liked was the very first scene with a bunch of broken shards displaying alternate stories/multiverses.

The writing never elevated above teen level, which is fine if that's the audience but I don't really have a reason to watch more if that's going to be it.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

ALFbrot posted:

I watched Strange Magic the other night. Has anyone else seen Strange Magic? I fully recommend it, it's a truly fascinating experience

The weirdest part of Strange Magic is learning that not only was it directed by George Lucas, but that he had wanted to make the film for a very long time. Kristin Chenoweth is good in it though.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

VinylonUnderground posted:

Who on Earth is this for? A grimdark My Little Pony doesn't make sense. Why the hell would I want my kid to watch some grimdark dystopian stuff?

https://youtu.be/Pa_PRDVpjSk

Be warned, it gets pretty dark

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I haven't seen Strange Magic, just watched a lot of reviews on it. I get why it's bad. But the idea of the villain being terrorized by a lovestruck heroine is, in itself, pretty funny. Shame about everything else.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Elman posted:

Gotta say, the grimdarkness of this series really seems like it’s been pretty wildly exaggerated

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
honestly the biggest shift i can see from the trailer is that there's at least one if not several male secondary characters. that's pretty grim and dark if you ask me

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
grimdark

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

starkebn posted:

The writing never elevated above teen level, which is fine if that's the audience but I don't really have a reason to watch more if that's going to be it.
Yeah, it seemed like a very safe, Teen/YA accessible series. I'm OK with that being a good segue for the audience.

It means they'll play relatively safe, but it also means we won't get 12 variations of "And then Peter Parker died horribly"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's a big derivative of Thundercats Roar and Adventure Time but my daughter's really into Centaurworld and I'm finding it pretty enjoyable.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
We're four eps in and still dunno if we like it, but some of the songs are way better than most TV musicals

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I saw the first episode and I couldn’t stop muttering “what the gently caress is this... this is hosed...” over and over

Highly recommended tbh, can’t wait to watch more

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

starkebn posted:

The first episode of the new Marvel What If? series didn't really do anything for me. The animation was fine, serviceable, the only part I really liked was the very first scene with a bunch of broken shards displaying alternate stories/multiverses.

Yeah I’m really into the visuals but the plot moves very fast so the stories aren’t that absorbing. Major major props to the animation team though.

That said, since I’m an animator I follow some ppl who study facial motion and they had interesting stuff to say about how smiles are used in animation:

quote:

#Animation Tips 💡

Just watched "What If...?" and noticed something I see a lot in animation: lid tightener smiles.

There is no one right way to communicate a smile, and the ways in which we smile vary on both individual and contextual levels. However, in animation specifically, there is a trend to overemphasize the medial lower lid when attempting to communicate joy-based expressions.

A large portion of genuine joy-based expressions possess two key facial movements: cheek raiser and lip corner puller. Though one or both of these components may be absent, we tend to assume authenticity when we see both.

While lid tightener smiles employ the same muscle as cheek raiser smiles, the emphasis on deformation and movement is different. As covered here: https://lnkd.in/g4mm5s2 , cheek raiser's main emphasis is on the lateral eye corners and cheeks, creating a pinching like compression around the eyes; lid lightener tends to focus on the lower lid, directing the movement upward and medially toward the inner eye corners.

The tendency to exaggerate lid tightener-like qualities during moments intended to express happiness or sentimentalism results in a look a little too close to the infamous "smizing" expression. Such a look may please Tyra Banks, but this isn't America's Next Top Model.

Probably this only interests people whose job involves knowing the FACS system but I learned something.

Oh yeah also the last Eva movie comes out on Amazon this weekend

Ccs fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 13, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Megera posted:

We're four eps in and still dunno if we like it, but some of the songs are way better than most TV musicals

Horse has got some real pipes on her.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Juuust finished Rebuild 3.0+1.0

It’s absolutely a must-see if you’re an Eva fan

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Elman posted:

Picture of the year

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Elman posted:

Hasbro and Netflix seem pretty good friends.

Why do they all have nearly the same expression. Come on guys, at least one of them can have eyebrows that don’t look they want to fly away.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'll be honest, I thought you guys had been talking about a Fallout: Equestria fan film.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Megera posted:

My daughter is going around singing about crushing skulls and my wife is disgusted, this might be the best animated series ever made.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Ralepozozaxe posted:

The weirdest part of Strange Magic is learning that not only was it directed by George Lucas, but that he had wanted to make the film for a very long time. Kristin Chenoweth is good in it though.

He didn't direct it, he just wrote the story, saying he wanted to make a Star Wars for 12 year old girls. Good job George!!

The characters are uniformly unappealing and charmless (the elf boy who loves the main character's sister is particularly egregious) and the story lurches from barely-distinguishable beat to beat with all the competence of a 3-year-old telling you how her day at school was

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Elman posted:

Raya the last Dragon sequel out already?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Regalingualius posted:

Juuust finished Rebuild 3.0+1.0

It’s absolutely a must-see if you’re an Eva fan

I mean, it’s the final part of a linear story, it wasn’t ever going to be optional to watch at this point if you are this far in.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

If I've seen the original series is it necessary to watch the first Rebuild? I know the second has significant deviations from the source and the third and fourth are their own things.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

The first Rebuild is basically a .9:1 HD adaptation of the first six episodes, yeah, though the final battle with Ramiel (the giant diamond) is kickass compared to the original

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

I’d say the first one is worth it still, even if it being closer to the source makes it a bit of a retread

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
There are small discrepancies that make watching the films real fun if you're into theory crafting/ Easter egg hunting.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Das Boo posted:

There are small discrepancies that make watching the films real fun if you're into theory crafting/ Easter egg hunting.

And then it all comes tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down.

Really, though, I loved just how metatextual the final showdown is. Especially since it ends with Gendo finally having a completely honest father-son talk with Shinji.

This last film was about as good of a sendoff as this whole franchise could get.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Regalingualius posted:

This last film was about as good of a sendoff as this whole franchise could get.
End of Eva really is the perfect end, if not a necessarily satisfying one.

This is a good meta capstone on the series, and I can't believe I waited 14 years of my life to see it end.

I think it's a little funny that Tabris is like, welp, here we are again Shinj-- hey wait... you're not a crying self-pitying whiny mess? drat dude, nice. Yeah, you take the reins this time.

and then Shinji is like "there's no possible way for any of us to be happy if we're dealing with predestined Godwars and Alien Threats so No More Eva's is the only way we get a happy ending"

Kinda feel like there's a bit of commentary by Anno about that too.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FilthyImp posted:

Kinda feel like there's a bit of commentary by Anno about that too.

evangelion is nothing BUT anno commentary

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m gonna watch the new Eva film tonight.

I just watched Luca. It’s good but it hits me the same way as all new Disney and Pixar movies do. Competently made, good messages, visually impressive, but overall I’m bored and feel like I’m watching it out of obligation.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What's the general consensus on Disney's Meet the Robinsons? Because I'm watching it right now and it's just a whole lot of loving noise and lights and it's obnoxious beyond belief.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That was my opinion of it when I saw it like 15 years ago.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

It’s one of those “under rated but still not actually good” movies, IMO (I’d throw Atlantis in this pile, too). Bowler hat guy and T. rex are great bad guys but the movie doesn’t really come together to anything more than a pile of mediocre parts with very ugly animation.

It also lacks something like, say, Home on the Ranges villain number to let you give at least one part of it an unequivocal thumbs up.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Boxman posted:

It’s one of those “under rated but still not actually good” movies, IMO (I’d throw Atlantis in this pile, too).

That is an extremely apt description of Atlantis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Calaveron posted:

What's the general consensus on Disney's Meet the Robinsons?

I struggle to remember a single scene from the film, so I guess "forgettable" is my verdict.