Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

JBP posted:

Drycha also has some good dogs.

and for a minute they were the best dogs (at gate chewing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
May I present, Kremlo the Slann
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2552441107&searchtext=

Based on actual (early) lore!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Captain Oblivious posted:

All other factors are kind of moot in the face of a Black Death level of depopulation event greasing the wheels. The other big issue is the same as in North America: lack of a cohesive identity as a means to resist. It is not natives versus Spaniards. It is a thousand different native power blocs against each other and the Spaniards. Leveraging the Spaniards for short term advantage over your local rivals results in long term disadvantage. Tawantinsuyu was a relatively fresh made empire and thus easily destabilized even if it wasn’t bulldozed by plague.

The diseases certainly played the main role, but I was just pointing out that there was a real, big difference in military technology (including military organization) between Afro-Eurasia and the Americas, one that enabled Old Worlders, in this case Europeans, to consistently beat several times their number of Americans in combat. And it's a good deal more complex than just "one side had horses, the other side didn't."

I wonder if all WH3 races will have rites. All WH2 races have them, but they were not backported to the WH1 races. Or will demons, Kislev and Cathay have something else instead? If they do give all of them rites, then the pressure to make them available to WH1 races will only increase.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Torrannor posted:

I wonder if all WH3 races will have rites. All WH2 races have them, but they were not backported to the WH1 races. Or will demons, Kislev and Cathay have something else instead? If they do give all of them rites, then the pressure to make them available to WH1 races will only increase.

Pretty sure they said rites are a game 2 factions thing only.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I'd like to remind everyone that in lore almost all dawi could carry pistols or drakefire weapons. I'm fine with sisters if my ironbreakers can carry drakefire pistols and fire them on the move--they also had those weapon teams incorporated into the normal formation so let's add them too. Literally every dawi lord not riding an anvil or a throne of power should have access to side arms and even the runelords/thorgrim should have throwing hammers/axes. You could easily balance it via ammo, weapon teams would have far more ammo where the ironbreakers would only have a few volleys worth.

Imagine the joy of an underway battle with 11 ironbreakers at full unit numbers rocking their loreful weapons.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Imagine if you could have some sort of dwarf unit that was good in melee but also threw dynamite or a big torpedo or something.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

In Starcraft there is an inflection point where x zerglings lose to x marines. But I don’t think that happens in total war because units have less range and are governed by cohesion. 10 archers definitely do not beat 10 dogs.

The trick here is positioning. If you deploy your archers in a straight line in skirmish mode then yeah, they're dog chow, but if you deploy in a chessboard formation, where the outer units will ideally bog down more than one dog unit, then you should be golden.

Part of what makes archers OP in this game is that the morale and health mechanics ensure that damaging 1 unit a whole lot is usually more powerful than damaging a bunch of units evenly. As long as you can mass a fair amount of cheap shooting that can arc fire, there always going to out damage more expensive but less maneuverable melee units.

This is definitely more of a campaign issue; human players will do a far better job of chasing down your ranged units if you have more than your melee units can effectively protect.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 13, 2021

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Kremlo even has his axe. 10/10.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there a mod to massively increase the spawn rates of rogue armies?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Raygereio posted:

Kremlo even has his axe. 10/10.

If we're sharing mods, meet Gary.

Inspired by this picture:

And his unit card is from this fanart :3: :

He's a good boy, but don't let him get the Sword of Khaine:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
here's your pro-slinger propaganda for the day https://www.chrisharrison.net/index.php/Research/Sling since some people were dismissing the power of throwing lead really really hard with a rope.

e: also this is pertinent when talking about the Invincibility of Spaniards vs rocks and sticks

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 13, 2021

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s really annoying that mages, druids AND clerics are stuck using slings for their ranged weapon in Baldur’s Gate. I really don’t get it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
fantasy games have a sick bias against slings and i blame bow aficionados

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Tiler Kiwi posted:

here's your pro-slinger propaganda for the day https://www.chrisharrison.net/index.php/Research/Sling since some people were dismissing the power of throwing lead really really hard with a rope.

e: also this is pertinent when talking about the Invincibility of Spaniards vs rocks and sticks

this poo poo is making me want to make a sling and gently caress around in the wilderness.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Always give Gary the Sword of Khaine. He's such a nice, helpful dinosaur, as Turin will always mention.

Slings and boomerangs own.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Sisters of Averlorn are comically unbalanced for single player, but I really don't want them to ever get nerfed. I love that, in Warhammer, if a group of savage warriors, clad in spiky plate armor and chosen by the god of merciless violence himself, sally out against a group of girls with hearts all over their armor, they're gonna taste the loving rainbow. If any unit is going to be utterly broken, I'm glad it's the sparkliest unit in the game.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Trillhouse posted:

this poo poo is making me want to make a sling and gently caress around in the wilderness.

I screwed around and made a tennis ball sling a while back and it was well worth it. Probably better to start with that instead of beaning yourself on the head with a rock.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

It’s really annoying that mages, druids AND clerics are stuck using slings for their ranged weapon in Baldur’s Gate. I really don’t get it.

I always mod my D&D games to make crossbows the ranged everymans weapon because slings are badass when you can bless them or imbue the stones with magic. A crossbow is the perfect catch all range weapon that is only limited by it's cost and your strength.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Precambrian posted:

Sisters of Averlorn are comically unbalanced for single player, but I really don't want them to ever get nerfed. I love that, in Warhammer, if a group of savage warriors, clad in spiky plate armor and chosen by the god of merciless violence himself, sally out against a group of girls with hearts all over their armor, they're gonna taste the loving rainbow. If any unit is going to be utterly broken, I'm glad it's the sparkliest unit in the game.

It's the power of friendship.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
If Chameleon Stalkers and their explosive precursor weapons are something CA are looking to expand, I would like to see dwarven miners and ironbreakers get the "throw while charging" functionality added to their special ranged weapon. I also think it would be cool if dual-wielding slayers got an armor-piercing and/or anti-large throwing ax precursor projectile to soften up targets as they charge in.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Sisters of Avelorn rock

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Precambrian posted:

It bugs me to the point that I don't really want to buy that DLC. I know I could just not use them, but having a big broken option right there and having to houserule it away is unpleasant, as is not using content I've paid for.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

To be fair Helfs prior to Queen and the Crone had plenty of already busted overpowered stuff, Sisters was just another thing to add to the smorgasbord of elf bullshit.

You are definitely missing out the Pigeon Queen, and Handmaidens. The former who in keeping with Helf tradition is disgustingly powerful on campaign and in battle, and Handmaidens are excellent campaign and battle heroes.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
A lot of factions have disgustingly overpowered units for campaign, because the AI is grossly incompetent. Once you learn how the AI works you can beat it so easily that you can't even find any challenge anymore unless you play on the hardest difficulties

The sisters own simply because they destroy the grimdark superedgy enemies with a beautiful lightshow, which is wonderful to behold

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Elukka posted:

It bugs me to the point that I don't really want to buy that DLC. I know I could just not use them, but having a big broken option right there and having to houserule it away is unpleasant, as is not using content I've paid for.

I definitely get the feeling, but like Sasgrillo is saying... High Elves are just busted in single player. They've the "expensive, elite unit" faction, but their economy is also amazing, so you can just use their other top tier units. Skipping Sisters of Avelorn doesn't feel so much like you're forced to handicap yourself and more like you just prefer to use cavalry, monsters, infantry, or just their cheaper ranged options.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Part of what makes melee so toothless in Warhams is the damage model. In the pre-hams, any single unit could take dozens of hits and keep fighting or get dumpstered by a peasant pitchfork. This made pikes and polearms effective since they could get a few jabs in before the swordsmen could even try to fight. Also, your elite general's bodyguard cavalry could end with Napoleon Himself beefing it to a lucky peasant or turn a close battle around with a heroic charge.

Archers were still super useful against routing infantry but they weren't your entire dps.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey random question, will I still have my modlist saved if I uninstall Warhammer 2 and reinstall it later?

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Yes you will.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Elukka posted:

Precambrian posted:

I definitely get the feeling, but like Sasgrillo is saying... High Elves are just busted in single player. They've the "expensive, elite unit" faction, but their economy is also amazing, so you can just use their other top tier units. Skipping Sisters of Avelorn doesn't feel so much like you're forced to handicap yourself and more like you just prefer to use cavalry, monsters, infantry, or just their cheaper ranged options.

And? They're hardly the only race that's busted in SP or has super busted units there either. For recent stuff, there's the insanity that is Taurox's campaign, or the new no upkeep Beastmen mechanics in general that completely break open the unit limitations once you get some Dread. For older stuff, do the High Elf advantages remotely compare to Ikit getting loving nukes and the insanely overpowered Skryre workshop? Or how about Grom and his cooking? We can go on.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I mean, Sniktch has an actual delete a faction button if you really want broken.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Tiler Kiwi posted:

fantasy games have a sick bias against slings and i blame bow aficionados

Weirdly both against and for. D&D's to blame (as for so much) for making slings both low powered and easy to use to the point I wonder if they couldn't tell a sling from a slingshot.

And then there's giving the bows to the girls because you need less strength for a bow than a sword?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Acute Grill posted:

Part of what makes melee so toothless in Warhams is the damage model. In the pre-hams, any single unit could take dozens of hits and keep fighting or get dumpstered by a peasant pitchfork. This made pikes and polearms effective since they could get a few jabs in before the swordsmen could even try to fight. Also, your elite general's bodyguard cavalry could end with Napoleon Himself beefing it to a lucky peasant or turn a close battle around with a heroic charge.
This reminds me of the time I played as the Germans in the Baltic Crusades map of, was it Medieval 2? I was doing coop so I had a friend in the battle with me where my King charged some peasants and the A Noble Death popped; we both died of laughter.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

neonchameleon posted:

Weirdly both against and for. D&D's to blame (as for so much) for making slings both low powered and easy to use to the point I wonder if they couldn't tell a sling from a slingshot.

And then there's giving the bows to the girls because you need less strength for a bow than a sword?

Slingshots are powerful as hell, though, and very accurate. My survivalist uncle used one for hunting small game, and had a fancier one with all kinds of add-ons that he hunted deer with.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
Slingshots can be fuckin deadly. I had a buddy growing up that had slingshot that would put a bullet right through a piece of plywood, no sweat. I imagine it would’ve made a pretty decent hole in anyone he shot with it too.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

we used to fight with sticks in the wood and the wankers who used slingshots to nail you in the head and not hit each other with sticks were jerks no one liked.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Slings just get pooped on because they are just as hard to use as a bow have significantly worse handling problems compared to a cross bow while being less accurate and less powerful.

They're the worse of all worlds

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People talk down the sling, not because of the training and space needed , but because they've never been hit with a rock in the face and think wearing a little helmet will mean getting hit with an ultra fast bullet shaped rock is harmless.

Using Spanish accounts of how 100 Catholic brave Spaniards faced off against 20 thousand cannibal Incas and slayed them all isn't proof of the worth of any particular weapon or tactic.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mans posted:

People talk down the sling, not because of the training and space needed , but because they've never been hit with a rock in the face and think wearing a little helmet will mean getting hit with an ultra fast bullet shaped rock is harmless.

Using Spanish accounts of how 100 Catholic brave Spaniards faced off against 20 thousand cannibal Incas and slayed them all isn't proof of the worth of any particular weapon or tactic.

No but the fact that slings got phased out on favor of other ranged weapons by basically every military that could suggests that there probably were some reasons for it, such as logistics, difficulty training, or efficacy (or efficacy vs difficulty).

This discussion started with "why did shields fall out of favor in the late medieval period even when bows, crossbows, and early muskets were all readily available" to which the answer appears to be a resounding "armor got better and much more readily available, both allowing two-handed weapons to return and incentiving their use in turn". To then suggest that somehow slingers actually would have been useful after all (despite that not being the case from contemporary records, even if those are biased) and that slingers as a military force had been phased out several hundred years before in favor of other ranged weaponry is kind of weird. It's not like the sling just vanished; it was being used in Iberia for hunting and some battles as late as the 11th century. And yet it also never came back for general military use for a reason despite changes to armor. I suspect that reason was that it was not effective, regardless of how you feel about being hit in the face with one. People didn't wear "little helmets" for fun. They wore them because they worked.

Maybe they worked well in an individual context (their use for hunting would imply that is possible) but a weapon that takes a ton of space and training for moderate effectiveness is not a good weapon.

neonchameleon posted:

Yeah that one is weird and confusing to me, given what we know about bows.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 14, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Saying slings are bad is a micro aggression I get it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You know, I never understand people saying High Elves have amazing economy. What exactly are you building that gives them such an edge, because I usually can field more armies as just about any other faction I play. Though granted, I haven't played Tyrion or Alarielle in a while.