Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

WrightOfWay posted:

Cold Snap is pretty good in Act 1, though yeah, Coolheaded isn't fantastic that early.

Block and orb generation and card draw is only bad before Nob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Deckit posted:

Yeah, but that's really only if I pick up a glacier. I don't usually pick up the other frost generators early in act 1.

Get cold snap. it is very good Act 1.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Card draw isn't worth much in act 1 unless it's zero mana. Coolheaded is paying 1 mana for a frost orb for the first half of my runs which is pretty weak compared to other frost orb cards and isn't solving the problems I'm usually having.

Cold snap is good act 1 though for sure.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 13, 2021

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

Cold Snap is pretty good in Act 1, though yeah, Coolheaded isn't fantastic that early.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Get cold snap. it is very good Act 1.

Ya know, I totally blanked on remembering Cold snap. Y'all correct.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Cold Snap is one of the few cards that I will unconditionally grab on a defect run in the first 2 acts. That said, I’m also a sucker for Ball Lightning.

How often do you grab Consume? I’d say I take it always act 1 and typically act 2 since it isn’t terribly difficult to get orb slot expansions.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I'm getting less and less fond of consume as I keep trying for the a20 heart kill. I'll take it if I'm in act 2 and don't have any other scaling yet, but I feel like defragment is strictly superior unless you have a tighter deck than it's realistic to escape act 1 with.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Defragment isn't a balanced card, you almost always pick it 3x. But you won't find it in a third of your runs (those are generally losses for me).

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

No Wave posted:

Defragment isn't a balanced card, you almost always pick it 3x. But you won't find it in a third of your runs (those are generally losses for me).

Consume plus the relic that gives you an extra orb every two turns and the one that gives you another three at the start is the correct way to defect

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
I'll always take consume as a first source of focus, since 2 orb slots with focus is better than 3 without. That said, you are by no means guaranteed extra orb slots, there's a boss relic (opportunity cost), a shop-only relic (fairly rare), a potion (common, but single use), and one uncommon card.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Finally broke my slump of A19 heartkills with Defect and Watcher!

Not pictured: Mental +

Traded max HP to choose a rare card and got Lesson Learned. Upgraded 80% of my deck.

Beat the heart with only 61 max HP.

I looooove toolbox. Offered me purify before the heart, and I drew my two unupgraded strikes turn 1. Those would've clogged up my pyramid hand otherwise.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 13, 2021

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Consume feels bad to take because its most of your energy for the turn, and is really bad if you have dark orbs by then since they now get 30% less time to charge. I think if I had a choice between Consume and Capacitor i'd probably pick capacitor first (if I didn't already have one), and hope to get a defrag, or Creative AI, or Biased Cognition or see consume again later. I don't like how its basically a curse after the first time you cast it unless you have extra orb slots already.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

A Moose posted:

Consume feels bad to take because its most of your energy for the turn, and is really bad if you have dark orbs by then since they now get 30% less time to charge. I think if I had a choice between Consume and Capacitor i'd probably pick capacitor first (if I didn't already have one), and hope to get a defrag, or Creative AI, or Biased Cognition or see consume again later. I don't like how its basically a curse after the first time you cast it unless you have extra orb slots already.

You could always run recy...recyhaha....recyclmao

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Cold Snap is one of the few cards that I will unconditionally grab on a defect run in the first 2 acts. That said, I’m also a sucker for Ball Lightning.

How often do you grab Consume? I’d say I take it always act 1 and typically act 2 since it isn’t terribly difficult to get orb slot expansions.

i think only seek and biased cog have higher priority than ball lightning and cold snap on the first few floors for me

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

GlyphGryph posted:

But a decently built shiv deck absolutely wrecks the time eater.

This is just plain wrong. The deck that relies on playing a million cards dies horribly to the boss that punishes you for playing cards.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I'll almost always grab Lightning Ball. I don't generally grab a consume unless I already have an orb slot expansion of some kind. It kind of depends on where I'm at though and what I've drafted.

How do ya'll prioritize defect upgrades?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
A shiv deck isn't an infinite deck, and 12 cards a turn is perfectly reasonable for one to work very well against an otherwise fairly weak enemy. And a decent shiv deck will be maxing out his ability every round, meaning you never have to worry about getting a bad turn where you don't have enough plays left to hit your important cards, which is where the Time Eater does the most damage.

Shiv decks are one of my favorite builds, and I've beaten time eater a number of times with them without any more difficulty than he offers any other character. If you're building a "play a million cards" shiv deck instead of an "exhaust and discard and attacks-stack-other-poo poo" shiv deck, I suppose you'd run into trouble, but then you aren't building a decent shiv deck to begin with in that scenario.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 13, 2021

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

deedee megadoodoo posted:

This is just plain wrong. The deck that relies on playing a million cards dies horribly to the boss that punishes you for playing cards.

Yeah my sad little A0 Silent attempt from a couple pages back went up against Time Eater. Rofl what an incredibly bad hard counter to my deck. If there’s a way to play shivs against that I’d love to hear about it.

e: n/m lol. What does a good discard-based shiv deck look like? Keeping in mind I don’t have all the Silent cards unlocked yet but probably will after the run I’m on now, maybe?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
"a shiv deck" doesn't mean you take every card that makes shivs and play 12 shivs every turn, especially with the busted state of current Blade Dance. with just one Accuracy+ in play Blade Dance+ becomes 40 damage for 1 energy and 5 card plays and it's not like there aren't a bunch of other ways to scale that as well between relics, potions, and other cards. you might have to dig a bit deeper into your toolkit against Time Eater or use an extra potion or two but it's definitely possible to beat him with Shiv-generating cards as your primary damage.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Deckit posted:

I'll almost always grab Lightning Ball. I don't generally grab a consume unless I already have an orb slot expansion of some kind. It kind of depends on where I'm at though and what I've drafted.

As usual you want good common offensive cards first (ball lightning, cold snap, compile driver) while trying to grab as many good powers as you can for the long run in such a way that you're not sabotaging yourself early. Yeah, double capacitor is really nice but the nob is going to have your rear end if dilute your deck too much with that sort of thing. Then you want some AOE for act2 (personally I love, love, love electrodynamics). I do not prioritize defensive cards that much because the Defect has a lot of great choices so I know I'll get something decent anyways if I choose to skip a good defensive card for something else. Still, the highest priority non-rare card to grab early if it appears is genetic algorithm.

I have also noticed that I don't really play that much with dark or plasma orbs. It's not like they are not good but I find them somewhat clunky.

BurningBeard posted:

Yeah my sad little A0 Silent attempt from a couple pages back went up against Time Eater. Rofl what an incredibly bad hard counter to my deck. If there’s a way to play shivs against that I’d love to hear about it.

'm always fishing for envenom with my shiv decks, it really does pretty much fix most problems they may have. You can still burst most trash fights and the venom scales really loving well in the long ones.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 13, 2021

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Deckit posted:

I'll generally go for more focus, then more draw/energy/orbgen depending on relics. Go for the eyes and beam if I've got them. I think barrage and sunder are the only attacks I go out of my way to upgrade for the damage, and I'm starting to feel like taking sunder is a mistake any time I don't have necronomicon. Maybe even then.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

BurningBeard posted:

e: n/m lol. What does a good discard-based shiv deck look like? Keeping in mind I don’t have all the Silent cards unlocked yet but probably will after the run I’m on now, maybe?

After Image, Accuracy+ and Blade Dance+. A Footwork or 2. Acrobatics+, Prepared+, Tools of the Trade (without Runic Pyramid). Even a Dagger Throw or 2, and it's especially great if you if you have a Gambling Chip. Piercing Wail, Dark Shackles, Sucker Punch. The point is to stack as much block as possible and do the most damage you can while playing 12 cards a turn.

My Silent is 2 or 3 Ascensions above everyone else and half of those wins have been against Time Eater.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Picking consume depends on:

1. Do i have any source of orb slots? (This includes that power that automatically activates your first slot an extra time every turn)
2. Just how badly do I need focus?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lmao I had a Silent deck with a floor 1 Apotheosis that went nuts as soon as it went into play so, I picked up Fusion Hammer and all the draw power I could and y'know, of course Apotheosis chose the Slavers fight to run to the bottom of my deck.

Hoo man, I hate act 2.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

BurningBeard posted:

Personally I like to run my shiv decks light on everything except powers, which means throwing in a couple cards that give you draw/discard and comboing with the cards that give you draw/ap work pretty well. But imo the right way to build a shiv deck either relies on synergizing with the golds and relics you get early on, or just stacking as many accuracies as possible

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 14, 2021

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Hey now, with snecko eye I’ve found some decent value with recycle before. Generally you can at least use it to remove a strike or defend for no energy loss, and often you can spend 0 on recycle to exhaust a 3 cost strike or defend. Got my first a19 win with defect doing this the other night.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Recycle is one of the Defect's best cards? This is one of the weirdest takes.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Zore posted:

Recycle is one of the Defect's best cards? This is one of the weirdest takes.

They might be thinking of Reprogram, which is not so great of a card.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I’ve found that adding the Googly Eyes mod has increased my win rate by 86%

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Is there a good 'how to mod, these are the best mods:' rundown post here?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

droll posted:

Is there a good 'how to mod, these are the best mods:' rundown post here?

It’s pretty simple, you just subscribe to them on the workshop (first getting ModtheSpire, BaseMod and StSlib) and it will prompt you to run with mods when you hit play.

Must have QoL:
Minty Spire
Colored Map
Colored Powertips
Relic Stats
Achievement Enabler
Googly Eyes (obviously)

Downfall for new content
Spire with Friends for multiplayer

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kiranamos posted:

It’s pretty simple, you just subscribe to them on the workshop (first getting ModtheSpire, BaseMod and StSlib) and it will prompt you to run with mods when you hit play.

Must have QoL:
Minty Spire
Colored Map
Colored Powertips
Relic Stats
Achievement Enabler
Googly Eyes (obviously)

Downfall for new content
Spire with Friends for multiplayer

Also Filter the Spire, which automatically gives you a seed where you can boss swap for a relic taken from a list set by you. It's intended to let you have a bit of fun trying out alternate starts by forcing a specific boss swap - Snecko Eye is the obvious popular choice. However, as the mod doesn't make you take the boss swap option it also removes the penalty for failing a run in Act 1. If you think being punished for being unlucky or just not good at the game yet is unfair, you will want to use it.

An important note about running with mods: you only get the prompt if you open STS from your Steam Library. If you open it with a desktop shortcut you will get the unmodded version of the game. There is supposed to be a way to get the modded version running from a shortcut, but I've never been able to get it to work.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

A Moose posted:

Consume feels bad to take because its most of your energy for the turn, and is really bad if you have dark orbs by then since they now get 30% less time to charge.
But with upgraded consume they charge 50% more per turn.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Kiranamos posted:

I’ve found that adding the Googly Eyes mod has increased my win rate by 86%

I recommend "Everything is the same but when you play Backflip, you do a backflip."

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz60-IAVTTA

Absolutely incredible Heart fight.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

WrightOfWay posted:

They might be thinking of Reprogram, which is not so great of a card.

Reprogram is a very good card that just happens to synergize with approximately zero other Defect cards.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah, giving up Focus for strength and dex is, in a vacuum, completely valid, it's just that Defect has pathetically little that actually scales with strength or dex. It has like two attacks that hit multiple times and both of those attacks are directly tied to your orbs and one of them is literally one of the worst rares in the game.

Maybe if Defect's 0-cost stuff was less weird and janky and actually had some kinda synergy?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
there was a guy posting in here about how he made a bunch of good reprogram decks assuming he gets it first. defects attacks arent great but i feel stuff like hologram, steam barrier and reinforced body are really good block cards with reprogram - hologram especially. if you could guarantee you pull out a one for all, or get say both one for all and reprogram in an orrery you should be able to make a deck with it pretty easily id think

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's kinda the same deal as Pressure Points. If you can get like, three of them, it's freakin' great. But there's no guarantee you'll see another one ever again and then you just have this crappy card that does barely more damage than a strike and sometimes removes Artifact charges.

If there's any weaknesses in the card design of Slay the Spire, I'd say it's stuff like that. You kinda wish there was a way that picking certain situational things would make their other stuff more likely to show up or that there was more situations than Orrey and Question Card that gave you multiple cards at once.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

well if reprogram is one of the first cards you get you'll usually get the commons to make a reasonable deck out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

A Defect without orbs is perfectly viable though. Reprogram, Reinforced Body, Rip & Tear, Sweeping Beam. Plus Orange Pellets and Clockwork Souvenir exist.