Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I have to try to find a way to justify this bottle.

Even the owner of the store looked at it and said "are you sure?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
So what's the deal with grappa? Italian toilet brandy?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

my kinda ape posted:

So what's the deal with grappa? Italian toilet brandy?

Pretty much, basically Italian moonshine made from grape pomace which is the stems and seeds and skins.

There are some good grappas. Nonino does some single varietal grappas that are interesting and Bric del Gaian is really, really good. But most are pretty nasty.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Horn posted:

Thank you for bumping this recipe, this has quickly become one of my favorite cocktails of all time. Citrus and chartreuse are the main reasons I love last words and all their variations but I've never considered stripping away all the other stuff. To me this is similar to a Tommy's marg where I like the stripped down version more than the original.

You know what I like most about it may be that with the muddled limes right in-glass you get lots of little bits of lime pulp that burst in your teeth, which makes a great little counterpoint to (or distraction from) the chartreuse's 55% coldcock.

Super jazzed to have come up with something everyone seems to like :glomp:

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The Cocktail Thread: help, I bought grappa

The only thing I’ve served people shots of at home that induced instant vomiting besides Malört was grappa

Don’t get me wrong, I love to sip a nice grappa

Also don’t get me wrong, I love Malort too

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

eSports Chaebol posted:

The only thing I’ve served people shots of at home that induced instant vomiting besides Malört was grappa

Don’t get me wrong, I love to sip a nice grappa

Also don’t get me wrong, I love Malort too

My brothers, dad, and I did a shot ski of Malort last weekend.

I honestly don't mind it if I'm in the mood for that kind of bitter botanical.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Malort has gotten noticably less lovely since production moved back to Chicago

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

When I visited Lviv for work in 2018, our hosts took us to Georgian restaurants every day (seemed like literally every restaurant was Georgian, I guess it's their equivalent of Mexican or something we consider hip and trendy), and on Friday took us to a bigger Georgian restaurant where we all had shots of chacha before and during the meal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chacha_(brandy)

I don't know how close to the 65% top limit the ones they served were but I was 2 shots in when I got a call from the home job that required me to urgently leave the restaurant and sprint blindly back to the hotel, making my way as best I could through the Cyrillic-signed streets and looking desperately for familiar landmarks because I had no phone service. On top of that I was coming down with a motherfucker of a cold just right then.

Hurtling the wrong way down a dark Ukrainian street trying to navigate by poorly-remembered compass directions alone while feeling the onset of a raging head cold combined with two big shots of chacha swirling through my head and making me teeter precariously from one side to the other as I careened through the darkness is one of the top ten surreal moments of my life

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I bought one bottle of grappa from the VA ABC and never again. Very harsh stuff. I don't know representative it was. Sounds like it was representative. There's so much better white brandy in the world, why bother.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Gra'it grappa is a newer brand that's pretty nice, to the point of being almost unrecognizable as grappa.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've never tried grappa and have no opinion either way. But I will submit that VA ABC has an amazing knack for only stocking one brand of a given liquor and choosing the worst one they can find.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

I’ve only ever had grappa once, and unfortunately I didn’t find out the brand, but whatever I had was pretty smooth. I remember it tasting basically like a brighter, less oaky version of cognac.

Although I don’t have a particularly refined pallet, so make of that what you will.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Does glassware play a large role in a cocktail like wine “does”? Since I’ve been trying to make different cocktails I figured some coupe glasses would be nice, but don’t want to dive too deep. I’m assuming it’s more about presentation than actual function? But there are specific drinks for specific glasses, like I’m not drinking a martini out of a Collins glass?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

You can definitely get away with red plastic cups or water glasses for everything, but there are nice reasons to spend some money.

Bigger rim for more salt / sugar rim
Taller glass for slightly layered effects when using crushed ice or topping with soda water
Stems for drinks served "up" (pre-chilled, no ice in glass) to keep your hand from warming them
Drinks feel special when they juuust fit their glass, volume wise

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'd imagine it's also nicer to sip, for example, a martini from a martini glass as opposed to tipping a big ol' cup to get some in your mouth. But yeah, if we're talking like coupe vs. martini glass shape, I'd imagine there's not much practical difference, aside from maybe how it will hold the garnish -- depending on your choice of garnish, naturally. I feel a martini glass is particularly well suited to the whole olive & toothpick thing, but that's really not essential to the drink anyway. I definitely need to get myself some highball glasses though, since tequila sunrises and mojitos just always feel a little lacking when there's so much room in the glass. You really need something taller and higher volume than a martini glass, but thinner than a wine glass.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, it's actually pretty fascinating learning about why different kinds of glassware is designed the way it is.

A beer mug, for example, has a separate handle to keep the main body of the drink cold and not let your hand warm it up; same idea with a coffee mug. Both are higher volume than a stemmed cocktail glass (because there's more liquid to deal with), but the idea is the same: stemware and separated handles are for insulating the drink from your hand (or vice versa).

A rocks glass is meant to have room enough for ice, so you don't have to worry so much about your hand's effects.

But if it's not a chilled drink, or especially if it's a very aromatic drink whose vapors you want to maximize (like a scotch or cognac), you want your hand to affect it. So a snifter is short-stemmed and round-based so you can cup it in your hand and let it warm it, which coaxes out the vapors; and then the opening at top is relatively small, so the vapors concentrate and swirl around and you can stick your nose in and inhale and let your eyes roll back in your head like a tycoon in a bathrobe.

The stemmed cocktail glass/martini glass was invented to try to maximize the area of drink directly below your nose so you can smell it as you drink, while at the same time keeping it cold.

It's all very fun

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Data Graham posted:

But if it's not a chilled drink, or especially if it's a very aromatic drink whose vapors you want to maximize (like a scotch or cognac), you want your hand to affect it. So a snifter is short-stemmed and round-based so you can cup it in your hand and let it warm it, which coaxes out the vapors; and then the opening at top is relatively small, so the vapors concentrate and swirl around and you can stick your nose in and inhale and let your eyes roll back in your head like a tycoon in a bathrobe.

If you don't do this with your snifter or glencairn of Scotch or Bourbon then what the actual gently caress are you even doing with your life?

My favorite place also has a variation on the glencairn with straight sides and a flare at the top. It works well for high proof bourbon, as the ethanol is allowed to disperse. The big boys can be challenging in a glencairn. I've actually gotten a mild head rush taking too big of a sniff off the top of a 139 proof ECBP.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
A friend gifted us a bottle of mezcal and a bottle of Ancho Reyes Verde. Personally, I don’t like mezcal but my partner does, so we’ll probably use it up on mezcal margaritas. I’m also curious about the possibility of doing a mezcal old fashioned sweetened with the Ancho Reyes and mole bitters.

The Ancho Reyes Verde is intriguing. It has a nice, round heat that’s capped off by the sweetness of it. The overall affect of it is a savory flavor that is quite close to a salsa verde.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I love Ancho Reyes. Try making a Last Word but with mezcal (think it's called Last of the Oaxacans in that case) and put in one part Ancho Reyes. Mmm.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Anonymous Robot posted:

A friend gifted us a bottle of mezcal and a bottle of Ancho Reyes Verde. Personally, I don’t like mezcal but my partner does, so we’ll probably use it up on mezcal margaritas. I’m also curious about the possibility of doing a mezcal old fashioned sweetened with the Ancho Reyes and mole bitters.

The Ancho Reyes Verde is intriguing. It has a nice, round heat that’s capped off by the sweetness of it. The overall affect of it is a savory flavor that is quite close to a salsa verde.

Perfect opportunity here for an infante riff

2 mezcal
.25 ancho
1 lime
.75 orgeat
Few dashes Ango on top
Grate some cinnamon on top

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
For the mezcal, I'll pimp the Black Rider again. Equal measures mezcal, Cynar, and cognac, stirred and served up with a twist. This is my favorite cocktail.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
You really don’t want to stick your nose deep into a glass of neat alcohol. Keep the rim of the glass below your chin and inhale if you’re going to. The alcohol vapors will wreck your palate otherwise

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
The best is when you’re working at a restaurant with a mask on, take off the mask, do a shot of whiskey, then put the mask back on. :discourse:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

The Maestro posted:

You really don’t want to stick your nose deep into a glass of neat alcohol. Keep the rim of the glass below your chin and inhale if you’re going to. The alcohol vapors will wreck your palate otherwise

Hey. Let me get shitfaced the way I want to get shitfaced.

But also, I agree. But even doing it properly, some of the really high proof stuff (September ECBPs, Stagg Sr., Handy Rye, etc) can still burn your poo poo out easily. Those other glasses work well for dispersion of the ethanol at the head.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Ended up getting angostura's cocoa bitters. Just made a negroni variation I had read about that subs peated scotch for the gin and adds chocolate bitters; it's not quite balanced (maybe because I used Wee Beastie for the scotch) but it's definitely something I'll be making more of.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

lol, anything made with the Wee Beastie is going to be tough to balance.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Mr. Wiggles posted:

For the mezcal, I'll pimp the Black Rider again. Equal measures mezcal, Cynar, and cognac, stirred and served up with a twist. This is my favorite cocktail.

What type of mezcal do you generally find works best?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Carillon posted:

What type of mezcal do you generally find works best?

Usually a smokier reposado. I've had good luck with some of the bolder jovens as well, and even something cheap like Xicaru works great in this drink. Anything aged too much or that's generally more mellow gets lost to the cynar.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Suggestions on some of the more popular cocktail books? There are a few books that people always suggest for wine, looking for something the same for cocktail books.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

obi_ant posted:

Suggestions on some of the more popular cocktail books? There are a few books that people always suggest for wine, looking for something the same for cocktail books.

Cocktail Codex from Death and Co is a great primer. Nice taxonomy of classic cocktails, bottle recommendations for all spirits, as well as syrup and infusion recipes etc. Scales nicely from beginner to intermediate level.

Regarding Cocktails is a book posthumously published by Sasha Petraske, one of the central figures of the cocktail revival, and it’s a nice, approachable little book wherein nearly every recipe I’ve tried is an absolute winner.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

The Maestro posted:

One neat trick I learned from a bourbon buddy is that you should try to nose your whiskey with your mouth and nose in the glass at the same time.

Instead of taking a big deep inhale with your nose, open your mouth just a tiny bit and inhale with both your nose and your mouth.

It’s amazing, you’ll still get all the ‘nose’ through your nose, but inhaling with your mouth a tiny bit simultaneously will almost completely stop your nose from being just burnt up.

At least it works well for me!

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Grappa adventures continue with questionable ingredient choices.

1.5 shots grappa, half shot ol Smoky cherry moonshine, shake with ice. Top off with MoneyBag creme soda.

Verdict: "This tastes like a stink bug smells"

We're doing this so y'all don't have to.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

obi_ant posted:

I have Essential Cocktail by Dale Degroff which has been my go to for like 10 years. It has lots of basic details on glassware, bar tools, and technique. Only problem is that he’s the boomer of cocktail makers. Credited for making the Cosmopolitan i think. The history section ends with the “revival” period which was the rainbow room in 1987 for him.

I also have the Please Don’t Tell cocktail book which is great and very modern. But you can’t beat the death and co book which was also recommended

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

obi_ant posted:

Liquid Intelligence. It’s a bit dense but it actually tells you what happens when you mix a drink and dispels a lot of myths about shaking, stirring, etc.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Missing Name posted:

1.5 shots grappa, half shot ol Smoky cherry moonshine, shake with ice. Top off with MoneyBag creme soda.

Verdict: "This tastes like a stink bug smells"
Rotten cilantro?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

DoctaFun posted:

One neat trick I learned from a bourbon buddy is that you should try to nose your whiskey with your mouth and nose in the glass at the same time.

Instead of taking a big deep inhale with your nose, open your mouth just a tiny bit and inhale with both your nose and your mouth.

It’s amazing, you’ll still get all the ‘nose’ through your nose, but inhaling with your mouth a tiny bit simultaneously will almost completely stop your nose from being just burnt up.

At least it works well for me!

That’s a good point. I usually smell nose only, then with the mouth open a bit, then a sip to warm up the palate, then a revisit of the aroma with open mouth before a more serious sip.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Have you tried adding grappa to coffee? My great uncle used to do that but haven't tried it myself.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It’s a common Italian thing.

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender
It's called a Caffé Corretto, so you know it's good.

Regarding cocktail books: If you're interested in Tiki, Smuggler's Cove is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Surprised to be disappointed in BG Reynolds’ orgeat. It’s not sweet and almondy like I’m accustomed to, but heavier on the fruity end of the flavors. It’s also transparent instead of milky. I won’t buy it again.

For orgeat, I have been fond of Liber & Co and Yes Cocktail Co. I’m also curious about an opinion I’ve heard that either Monin or Torani make the best, because their strong artificial flavors stand up more in drinks. Worth investigating, given that they can be hd for under ten bucks.