Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Refreshingly honest:

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium.HIGHLIGHT-finally-a-politician-admits-what-israel-s-covid-policy-is-really-about-1.10110937 posted:

Analysis | Finally, a Politician Admits What Israel's COVID Policy Really Means
Interior Minister Ayelet Shaked said the government plans 'to accept serious cases of COVID and accept deaths,' then apologized. But she was telling the truth: if things continue, Israel might see 100 deaths a day
Also lol at saying the quiet part loud. Dumbass.

Fur tax edit:

Pingui has issued a correction as of 13:40 on Aug 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Keep the reports on schools getting the roni coming. There's a call with the superintendent of our school district this coming week and it's to go over how they plan to safely open schools for in person learning with just a mask mandate

i can make a tab in the thread spreadsheet for school outbreaks if that might help

anyway here's another one for the pile

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1426275993946296324

and dr. gilman (@cleavon_md on twitter) has been collecting tons of pediatric covid stories

https://twitter.com/Cleavon_MD/status/1425208177281441796

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I was off for a week and come back to my email. Lol only loving hospital in the state that won't mandate vaccination for workers. The governor has mandated weekly covid testing for any dumb piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat health care worker that refuses vaxx in the state.

Would rather blow hundreds of thousands of dollars doing weekly testing than hurt the feelings of these snowflakes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pingui posted:

Refreshingly honest:

Also lol at saying the quiet part loud. Dumbass.

Ayelet Shaked was that lady who did a Dior perfume commercial, but for fascism

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I'm going to be asking hr when I should expect my weekly bonus for not costing the hospital hundreds every week being a dumb assfucker shitbag.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Pingui posted:

It seems like the population at large is catching on that things are not looking great:

The last quote doesn't seem to have anything to do with the article, but got slipped in for some reason.

Last April, we had a government that was pretending like they wanted to take this seriously, and they were sending out fairly decent money to the people they were telling not to go to work. Now that the welfare-loving tax and spend liberals are in charge, they're giving us nothing and screaming at us to go back to the first poo poo job we can find because the economy is angry and it's impossible to give people money.

I don't think anyone needs to explain why that's mildly funny, but I do think it should be factored into how hosed the projections should be on consumer spending. Last time we had this little confidence, we also had a bunch of cash that let us catch up on bills and buy stuff we couldn't possibly have saved up for. Now we've got none of the things that helped, and the virus is way loving worse than it was, and confidence is only as bad as it was last April. The audience have not even taken their seats yet, the orchestra hasn't tuned up, the show hasn't begun to begin.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Ayelet Shaked was that lady who did a Dior perfume commercial, but for fascism

Had to look that up and lol/huh?/wtf

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpzrih1S6C0

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Real Mean Queen posted:

Last April, we had a government that was pretending like they wanted to take this seriously, and they were sending out fairly decent money to the people they were telling not to go to work. Now that the welfare-loving tax and spend liberals are in charge, they're giving us nothing and screaming at us to go back to the first poo poo job we can find because the economy is angry and it's impossible to give people money.

I don't think anyone needs to explain why that's mildly funny, but I do think it should be factored into how hosed the projections should be on consumer spending. Last time we had this little confidence, we also had a bunch of cash that let us catch up on bills and buy stuff we couldn't possibly have saved up for. Now we've got none of the things that helped, and the virus is way loving worse than it was, and confidence is only as bad as it was last April. The audience have not even taken their seats yet, the orchestra hasn't tuned up, the show hasn't begun to begin.

Right it should be worse, however the recent very precipitous drop can really only be ascribed to changes in perception of COVID. Other things have not fundamentally changed to result in that. IMO anyways, I fully accept I could be wrong as my only insights in the American pathology is through media and the forums (ok ok, currently mostly from this thread).

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ludovico technique where people who were saying "kids can't get covid" are forced to watch records of every child who's died of or been hospitalized by covid.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Pingui posted:

Right it should be worse, however the recent very precipitous drop can really only be ascribed to changes in perception of COVID. Other things have not fundamentally changed to result in that. IMO anyways, I fully accept I could be wrong as my only insights in the American pathology is through media and the forums (ok ok, currently mostly from this thread).

Everyone I know is aware that the situation is totally hosed, but 90% just are doing everything they can to ignore it. That is about to all crash down once school fully kicks up and this poo poo spreads even faster. Its like the CRACK is just starting and the ping is about to hit hard.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

msnbc says that 1 in 4 kids in Louisiana are COVID positive holy poo poo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bad boys for life posted:

Everyone I know is aware that the situation is totally hosed, but 90% just are doing everything they can to ignore it. That is about to all crash down once school fully kicks up and this poo poo spreads even faster. Its like the CRACK is just starting and the ping is about to hit hard.

Given the 4-6 weeks lag, we'll start the see the real impact in October after return to School ASAP has been running for a whole month.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

meanolmrcloud posted:

hahaha my husband's there for dumb military poo poo right now

literally the only worse states he could be in are where I live and mississippi

I love the military so much

those poor kids.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

corona familiar posted:

thought i'd join the booster party

new account but long time lurker

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ha Ha Yes !

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

corona familiar posted:

thought i'd join the booster party

new account but long time lurker

I'm printing this post and faxing it to the cops for violating hippa you are hosed

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Went to the grocery store.

5% of customer masking, but one of them was respirator crew! - only one employee, a high school age cashier. I went through her line obviously and thanked her for being safe,

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
sister just texted that the hospital she's in has stopped all outpatient services, stopped accepting any non-COVID patients, and is cutting down on approved surgeries

poo poo is getting bad

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Stereotype posted:

the civil war caused on average 500 deaths a day. we dipped below 500 deaths a day six weeks ago (and are already back above it again), and have been above 500 deaths a day for the entirety of the 18 months of pandemic.

it's an incredibly large number of deaths.

Why does it seem to not be as impactful as then? The deaths of the Civil War practically traumatized a generation and this just seems to solidify our current lovely political climate. Was jt bc the dead were primarily young men? The fact that its a much smaller portion of the population? That minorities and the elderly are primarily affected?

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
Walmart let me sign up for my third dose, one of the screens asks you if youre immunocompromised, crohns, etc, selected yes, now have my third Moderna appointment.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I think I should update my resume. I bet I could get waaay better pay.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Asproigerosis posted:

I think I should update my resume. I bet I could get waaay better pay.

If youre in healthcare right now its your best time to negotiate. CRNA rates went from 90->180/hr just now for PRN due to demand locally.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bad boys for life posted:

Walmart let me sign up for my third dose, one of the screens asks you if youre immunocompromised, crohns, etc, selected yes, now have my third Moderna appointment.

Yeah most for profit pharmacy don't actually check in my experience for things like a "note from the doctor".

They just care that you show up at the right time with a booking confirmation

Going to def get Moderna for the 3rd dose booster just because it's like getting the next size up for fries at Micky D's.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

meanolmrcloud posted:

You might've heard that one wrong, the test positivity rate is 25% for kids

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.pilotonline.com/news/education/vp-nw-virginia-beach-masks-mandatory-fall-20210811-esyqi2xd5bbqrkgzopu4c7oshu-story.html

quote:

VIRGINIA BEACH — Hours before the School Board took the vote to make it official, the decision to require masks in Virginia Beach schools had effectively been made — all over but the shouting.

And there was plenty of shouting.

Almost 70 people spoke at a public meeting Tuesday that was full of anger and stretched past 1 a.m. Wednesday before the decision came, 7-4, to require masks this fall. Speakers cursed the board and made offensive gestures at them. They said they were going to hell and accused them of child abuse. They taunted the all-woman board, calling them “mean girls” and handmaids doing others’ bidding. Paradoxically, they were also called slave masters.

The board also heard from an audience that heckled pro-mask speakers and board members throughout the night. Sometimes they jeered under their breath, other times they shouted out loud. They argued with security who asked them to be quiet so speakers could be heard.

A woman snorted with laughter as a teen said she was in favor of masks because she worried about people like her dad, who has one lung.

A man rolled his eyes at an 11-year-old who asked for unity in the face of the virus, suggesting she was just manifesting her mother’s fear: “Good job, mom,” he said with a snicker.

The crowd laughed at a board member while she talked about comforting children who have lost a parent to COVID-19.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Thoguh posted:

Even if you ignore him being creepy as hell, which you should not do, he's setting a horrible example by not masking around unvaccinated kids.

both are good points. I forgot where I was and ur right Biden is always bad please forgive me I had an un crack ping moment.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jnj in march and moderna shot - day 3

Got my jnj and didn't have any effects. But afte ri got my moderna the other day i just laid in bed with the chills for 2 days. Finally feeling like myself today but you guys werent kidding about the 2nd shot carrying a wallop.

Anyway ill report back after i get my 2nd moderna

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

link to spreadsheet

dumping all the school stuff i can find on there, in case the kidhavers need some ammunition. it's in the 'school outbreaks' tab

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Can someone recommend a good set of prescription eye goggles to go with my 3M 7502?

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

hmmmm im sure being big stupid assholes to the people making this decision will increase the chances of them voting the way i want - a brain genius

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

loling at the cratering healthcare services in my area. my neighbor is a PA and she’s been working seemingly nonstop over the past few weeks. apparently they’ve had significant turnover and have lost a ton of staff in the past year and now people are just no-calling or walking out on a shift and not returning. definitely don’t drive or use ladders right now, and be extra careful with knives. 🤞that you don’t get sick

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

super sweet best pal posted:

Can someone recommend a good set of prescription eye goggles to go with my 3M 7502?

stoggles are available with prescription lenses, not 100% sure they will fit with your 7502 though

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shageletic posted:

Why does it seem to not be as impactful as then? The deaths of the Civil War practically traumatized a generation and this just seems to solidify our current lovely political climate. Was jt bc the dead were primarily young men? The fact that its a much smaller portion of the population? That minorities and the elderly are primarily affected?

It's an enormously smaller portion of the population and also the vast majority of the deaths are happening behind closed doors in an extremely atomized society.

On top of that, take a drive around your neighborhood sometime this week and see how many people are hanging around outside on the lawns/parks vs. how many are sitting inside. Our primary interaction with the impact of this pandemic is told to us through the magic boxes, and, once in a while, a friend or family member falling sick.

It also doesn't help that the magic boxes are covering the strain this is putting on the healthcare system about as cursorily as possible.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Spaceballs was a documentary

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pingui posted:

Had to look that up and lol/huh?/wtf

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpzrih1S6C0

Okkkkaaayv wait, gonna need additional context, please

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Give his bed to someone else

https://twitter.com/erikhalvorsen18/status/1426375672268742657?s=21

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zokari posted:

hmmmm im sure being big stupid assholes to the people making this decision will increase the chances of them voting the way i want - a brain genius

"threatening people with violence" has already worked elsewhere so

hell, we were just talking upthread about the DHS recommending against mask mandates because scary terrorists (read: their employees) might see that as an invitation to be violent

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
lol went to the gas station in the respirator and no one would make eye contact with me

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

More like Keith ManSick, amirite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Koirhor posted:

lol went to the gas station in the respirator and no one would make eye contact with me

Come over, I'll touch your eye balls